Quantcast Magic Bands - 2.5 Years Later

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Bands - 2.5 Years Later

Hi everyone, we are looking to arrange our next WDW visit for April or May 2020. Our last one was August/September 2017 where we bought Magic Bands, we were staying offsite but saw them on sale at the Transportation and Ticket Centre when collecting our tickets and decided they were definitely worth it.

I understand the magic bands are reusable, my question is about battery life. It will be about 2 and a half years since our last visit, we still have the bands which have been sitting patiently at home. Will the batteries still work as expected or would we have problems using the bands again? Or maybe we should just take them and find out?
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    Hi everyone, we are looking to arrange our next WDW visit for April or May 2020. Our last one was August/September 2017 where we bought Magic Bands, we were staying offsite but saw them on sale at the Transportation and Ticket Centre when collecting our tickets and decided they were definitely worth it.

I understand the magic bands are reusable, my question is about battery life. It will be about 2 and a half years since our last visit, we still have the bands which have been sitting patiently at home. Will the batteries still work as expected or would we have problems using the bands again? Or maybe we should just take them and find out?

Was told by Disney employee that what they have seen is that Magic Bands have been lasting up to 7 years. So I would definitely take them with you.

Post Thanks / Like

That's right around the time, if I recall correctly, that Magic Band "2" came out. Not sure if you have the older version or newer. But it's going to be close for you with the battery. I have heard people say the expected life of the batteries are 2-3 years. If they've just been sitting at home and not being scanned dozens of times during Disney stays, that battery might remain strong longer?! Hope it works out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boornl00 View Post
    Was told by Disney employee that what they have seen is that Magic Bands have been lasting up to 7 years. So I would definitely take them with you.
    Wow - that's much better! Hope they're right!

Post Thanks / Like

For anything where you tap the Magic Band to a Mickey head (getting into the parks, FP+, purchases, etc.), a Magic Band will work virtually forever. For ride photos and some of the "magical" extras (having your name show up on the goodbye signs on IASW, for instance), the normal lifespan of a band is about 3 years for those features. Though as mentioned, the are cases where they last much longer.

The reason for this is that the are 2 RFID chips in each band - one is passive, requiring no on-board power source (power comes from the thing you tap); the other is active and is powered by a battery in the band. This chip has a small transceiver in it and can communicate over short distances wirelessly. That battery will eventually die. When it does, only the wireless functions will cease. Everything else (all the important stuff) wil continue working.

So unless ride photos are super important to you, those old bands will work just fine for as long as Disney uses the technology.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

7. Thanks magicofdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave it to Disney to give you a product that can last forever for making purchases!

Thanks for the explanation on the MB. That was very interesting.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: