Quantcast Disney World theme parks are closing - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    You guys got me. I'm such a loser for trying to see a little light in the darkness.
    Strawman alert.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Yes, but it's still not nothing. He didn't have to do what he did. It's still a nice gesture that will help people who work for the company and make far, far less.
    And line level employees get nothing. "Giving up" a couple of hundred thousand in salary is nothing when he is still getting tens of millions in stocks and other options.

For crying out loud, last year he pulled in $47 million in compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Strawman alert.
    Why are you being such a jerk? We get it, you're unhappy. I don't need to defend Iger's position or motive. Just because we don't agree with his tactics, doesn't mean you have the right to slam me. I was simply relaying information and I don't have to apologize for not being ****** off because he didn't do more. You don't know me, so lay off.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

5. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but it's still not nothing. He didn't have to do what he did. It's still a nice gesture that will help people who work for the company and make far, far less.
    But will it be helping those people? What I'd really like to hear is that they're taking care of their most vulnerable employees. Do they get to keep their medical coverage? Are they getting help with bills, rent, etc.? I'm not dismissing his gesture, but it's going to have very little impact on him. If they show that it's genuinely going to support their most vulnerable employees, that will get a big thumbs up from me.
    Susanne

7. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't he give up his position? How is he getting a salary? Sorry I'm a little behind the times here.

I noticed that the website now says they are closed "indefinitely". Yeah, I was just looking stuff up on the website to plan a trip that probably won't happen. A girl can dream though.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Why are you being such a jerk? We get it, you're unhappy. I don't need to defend Iger's position or motive. Just because we don't agree with his tactics, doesn't mean you have the right to slam me. I was simply relaying information and I don't have to apologize for not being ****** off because he didn't do more. You don't know me, so lay off.
    Irony alert. Calling someone "a jerk" isn't exactly being nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I think RunDMV and goofyskier need a Snickers!! LOL
    Sadly.....the grocery store is out of that also. My choice was either a peanut on the floor or a Watchamacalit. I chose the peanut. Lol

11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

straw man | ˌstrô ˈman |
    noun
    1 an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument: her familiar procedure of creating a straw man by exaggerating their approach | [as modifier] : you are constructing a straw man argument.
    2 a person regarded as having no substance or integrity: a photogenic straw man gets inserted into office and advisers dictate policy.

1--There's absolutely no basis for this comment.

Strawman alert.
    2--Anyone with any sense about them knows this was meant as a derogatory comment, which thereby...

3--...negates this comment.

Irony alert. Calling someone "a jerk" isn't exactly being nice.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

And line level employees get nothing. "Giving up" a couple of hundred thousand in salary is nothing when he is still getting tens of millions in stocks and other options.

For crying out loud, last year he pulled in $47 million in compensation.
    Do we know that the line level employees get nothing? Did they lay them off? I haven't heard that. So, if they still have jobs, that's definitely something.

And you're understating their salaries a bit. Iger's base is at *least* $3 million. Chapek and others are getting a reduction in salary, which also totals millions back to the company to pay salary for the lower line employees.

No, none of those donating salary or taking reductions will have any problem "paying the rent", so to speak. But we also don't know what else they're doing with their money. We do know that the Iger's have also donated at least another $500,000 to the city of Los Angeles in the fight against COVID-19. There may be other donations, but his is just the highest profile. They do not have to report or make public what they choose to do with it and to whom they donate. But when it IS public, it puts pressure on other wealthy people to do something similar. And it all adds up. It definitely takes a certain kind of person to become that kind of wealthy, and it rankles many that we have people that wealthy. But I don't begrudge them their wealth. I've known some *very* wealthy people, and I've seen them do a lot of good with that wealth.
    Last edited by azcavalier; 04-12-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Clarificaiton
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

14. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing, for clarification after reading a NY Times article this morning on Bob Iger stepping in to basically run the company again during this pandemic. It did say that they had furloughed a LOT of workers, and that this week will be their last paycheck for a while, but that they all keep their benefits. So, that stinks, but it's also good that they're not laid-off so that they still have healthcare.

I have NO IDEA how much money it takes to run a company the size and complexity of Disney. At one point I tried to calculate how much it must cost to run Walt Disney World when it was running normally, accounting for salaries of employees, utility costs, taxes, repair and maintenance, development, supplies, fuel, food, etc. It's staggering. And even though they're now not having to pay for some of that, they still have a lot that they'll have to pay, and with no revenue coming in (from certain divisions), it only makes sense that Iger's and other's salaries be cut and/or donated to offset that.

The theme park division is currently shut down. That was something like 30% of company revenue.

The cruise lines are shut down. No idea how much they brought in.

The tv/video production is currently shut down. No new movies are being released (other than what looks to be a terrible adaptation of Artemis Fowl, on Disney+).

ESPN has no live sports to show, so they've literally been reduced to showing a H.O.R.S.E. competition between former and current NBA/WNBA players. Seriously. And they're filming it on people's iPads and cell phones, with kids manning those devices. ESPN's revenues are way down.

If it weren't for Disney+, I'm not sure that Disney would be making much of anything right now. It looks like they got in at just the perfect time.

And all of these things that are shut down still have bills to pay, including employee benefits.

Anyway, the last two posts are just long-winded ways to say that it's easy to tear-down Iger and others for what to some looks like a meaningless gesture. But I think that those takes are somewhat ignorant when you really look at the money that it takes to actually run and maintain a company, especially during troubled times like these.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

16. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the true irony alert for this post was when it was posted back on page 2 how nice it was that folks could have an adult conversation and exchange of opinions without resorting to so much negativity.

I'll just say some people make it sound like Iger stole this money or got it by devious means. But he's in charge of a multi-billion dollar company, and did it very successfully. He's made lot of people money, from stock holders to park greeters. You might not like how much he makes, but he's earned it. This is an iconic international company and brand, and Iger made/approved decisions that had things running very well up until the pandemic - and no one really could've planned for that.

18. Thanks TikiLounger thanked for this post
    Likes TikiLounger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Didn't he give up his position? How is he getting a salary? Sorry I'm a little behind the times here.
    He stepped down as CEO, but they kept him on as Executive Director for the duration of his contract, I believe? It was designed to be a transition period. Bob Chapek has never run a company like this directly, so Iger is still there to help guide him. However, during this pandemic, Iger has basically stepped back in, even though he hasn't reclaimed the CEO title.
    DL - 1996, 2019

20. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A reminder to all in this thread to keep discussion civil—no insults allowed (directly or implied) per our rules. I know these are stressful times, but now more than ever we need to keep INTERCOT a true community of friends and Disney fans.

22. Thanks Cinderelley, TikiLounger thanked for this post
    Likes azcavalier, Cinderelley, TikiLounger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney has announced that 43000 cast members will be furloughed but will maintain health insurance for up to 12 months. So I guess in some way Iger giving back his base salary helped make this happen by freeing up some cash flow. So I’m being positive lol

The debate for executive compensation and what is reasonable can wait for another day.

Cheers

24. Likes Cinderelley, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone is just bashing wealthy people. I think the concern here is for the most vulnerable Disney employees. I am really glad to hear that they'll still have their health coverage - and for up to 12 months! That's fantastic. I do hope Disney continues to communicate and check in with these people - they're the ones that really make the magic happen on a day to day basis. They deserve help if they need it.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

He stepped down as CEO, but they kept him on as Executive Director for the duration of his contract, I believe? It was designed to be a transition period. Bob Chapek has never run a company like this directly, so Iger is still there to help guide him. However, during this pandemic, Iger has basically stepped back in, even though he hasn't reclaimed the CEO title.
    Thank you for explaining that.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: