Quantcast Cancelled Reservations during shutdown: how will Disney handle points?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancelled Reservations during shutdown: how will Disney handle points?

So far, Disney has made one accommodation for people who had reservations during the shutdown: Points will not be placed into a holding account, which is usually done for cancellations in the final 30 days before arrival. Instead, the points will be placed directly back into the current use year.

This still leave the question: how many members will lose points? There is no way all those people will find accommodations in time to use them, especially if a use year is ending in the next month or two. Our use year is August, so it is not a big deal for us, but some people could lose significant points!

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. If they push all of those points into the next use year, that year will be flooded, and there won't be enough rooms. So, what do they do?
    1) leave current policy in place, and it is luck of the draw which members were impacted?
    2) spread the affected points across multiple years to limit the points glut?
    3) Require the affected points to be used for non-DVC resorts?
    4) Something else?
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FiggyFan View Post
    So far, Disney has made one accommodation for people who had reservations during the shutdown: Points will not be placed into a holding account, which is usually done for cancellations in the final 30 days before arrival. Instead, the points will be placed directly back into the current use year.

This still leave the question: how many members will lose points? There is no way all those people will find accommodations in time to use them, especially if a use year is ending in the next month or two. Our use year is August, so it is not a big deal for us, but some people could lose significant points!

Disney is between a rock and a hard place. If they push all of those points into the next use year, that year will be flooded, and there won't be enough rooms. So, what do they do?
    1) leave current policy in place, and it is luck of the draw which members were impacted?
    4) Something else?
    I don't think it will be flooded. The natural attrition through the new financial environment should thin the herd. Plus, the virus isn't going anywhere (the flu and everything is around) so even if we resume life, people will still have some considerations to make.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

4) Something else?
    1) They will for the most part leave the current policy in place. For the most part if you borrowed points they are putting those points back for you. Those, however, that might have had a June use year and banked 2018 points into 2019 will have those points lost. I don't see Disney giving those points another 12 months. I have no idea the number of members in this situation. If I was to guess I would say less than 5% of the members.
    2) I don't see that happening.
    3) I don't see that happening.
    4) Imagine if Disney said for the next 2 years you can only make a reservation for those people on your membership. Basically not allowed to rent out your points. That would never happen but it would solve any availability issue for the next 2 years.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

i used last years points and most of this years to book my trip for the first week of May. so i guess they will cancel my reservations, put my 2020 pts back and what w my 2019 pts...lose them
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Annual Pass concerns

4) Something else?
    And What about AP members. I pay monthly, and I was originally told that the payment would stop. Now I am told to keep paying but the length of days before expiration will be added... So upsetting and confusing at the same time
    Heather*****<br />'92 Kissimee<br />'00 Wilderness Lodge<br />'02 DC <br />'03 Wilderness Lodge<br />'04 DC Magic<br />'05 Poly (going back)

Post Thanks / Like

called the other day to try to book October. my 2019 points i used for May 3rd trip have not been banked yet. nothing much was available for a 1 bedroom other than SSR...but I did get Oct 13 for 2 nights at Boulder Ridge for 60 points. once they bank my 2019 pts i should have 100 points left to try and book a few more nights for this October if anything is available
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM