Quantcast When do you think the Disney World theme parks will reopen? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: When do you think the Disney World Theme Parks will reopen?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • May or June

6 12.00%
  • July or August

25 50.00%
  • September, October, November, or December

14 28.00%
  • Not until at least 2021

5 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I won't be going to Disney, or any other place with crowds, until I can get vaccinated. It's going to be a long year.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

2. Likes dnickels, PunzelBelle liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I know I won't be going to Disney, or any other place with crowds, until I can get vaccinated. It's going to be a long year.
    Didn't your governor basically just re-open Georgia?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

He's trying, but many of the businesses he is allowing to "re-open" are announcing they they will not re-open, in spite of the relaxing of the stay-at-home order, not yet anyway. Most people are still too wary to co-mingle in public yet.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

6. Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    With the way things are shaping up, I expect that Disney will try to do a "phased" opening somewhere in the July 4th window. Possibly FL residents and 'local' AP members. Not everything in every park open at that time. I would expect most 'dark rides' will still be closed at this time.

Slowly, after that, open up more attractions - primarily the 'dark rides' - will open slowly. Maybe a couple per week.

Once all rides and attractions are open, they will open up visitation to US residents. Even at this point, entrance will be limited and queues will be monitored for 'social distance' and attractions will have lower 'throughput.'

IF, at that point, there are no major outbreaks, full operation may commence.

By January 2021, full operation should be the case...UNLESS there is a resurgence during the Fall/Winter "flu" season.
    I had a few thoughts reading your post. First, personally I doubt that Disney will open initially to locals/AP holders only, even if still dealing with restrictions. That market brings them only a fraction of their revenue compared with U.S. (non AP holders) and international guests, especially if you factor in hotel reservations.

Secondly, even if the spread of the virus slows during the summer months, it is pretty much a given that there will be a resurgence in the fall and winters months going into next year. This could be a stop-and-go process for a year or more.

I want to be optimistic, but I was telling my husband the other day that I have a hard time wrapping my head around how the Disney parks are going to handle this in the long run. The next year to year-and-a-half will likely still see social distancing to be the norm. Disney would have to limit admissions and eliminate crowding; this is not something that they have had to do in the past and, quite honestly, their model of operation has become quite the opposite.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

8. Thanks PunzelBelle thanked for this post
    Likes dnickels, PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, while not officially moving to -re-open businesses in Florida yet, is making moves in that direction. On Monday he unveiled his Re-Open Florida Task Force, a 22-person panel that has until Friday to come up with recommendations for cracking open the state’s economy. Interestingly, the task force includes includes representatives from including Disney and Universal, in addtion to several politicians and industry leaders.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

10. Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Sometime in May possibly June 1st. We can't expect businesses to stay closed forever and lose revenue. Everything will start going bankrupt. The Corona Virus may mutate again and we will have Covid 20 next year. It may be just as bad or not very contagious. Then again we may see another round of Covid 19 still in circulation. We really have no idea what to expect.
    Corona viruses are slow to mutate, compared with flu viruses. If they develop some effective vaccines for COVID-19, chances are good they will have a lasting effect for many years to come.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

12. Thanks PunzelBelle thanked for this post
    Likes dnickels, PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they open before given the all-clear, you'll be signing a waiver to enter the parks. I would bet.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

15. Thanks PunzelBelle thanked for this post
    Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it will depend on how things go. I suspect Covid will carry on in the background for some time until a workable vaccine is developed. Disney will want to open as soon as it is safe to do so but they will also want to balance it against risk to guests and cast members, both from the fact people are dying but also from a business point of view it would be a PR disaster of a large number of Disney visitors became infected from opening early.

I had provisionally guessed for June and it may be a phased reopening, maybe starting with Downtown Disney, then Magic Kingdom at a significantly reduced capacity whilst new measures are tested out. Wouldn’t be surprised if Animal Kingdom was next because it is less densely populated with guests and Epcot and DHS are given a bit longer.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I would be careful paying too much attention to the Daily Mail, as UK newspapers go it is one of the least reliable. They tend to paint rumours/opinions as facts or sensationalise news to the extreme for the sake of sales.

18. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, TheVBs, Disney-Nut, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Yeah, but that's from the Daily Mail. It's like getting your news from the National Enquirer here in the U.S.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

20. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, TheVBs, Giggy, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Social distancing and Disney can't be found in the same sentence! I don't see how they could possibly do it. How could they keep people 6 feet apart, wipe down rides in between guests, properly sanitize the hotel rooms, etc. What about buses and monorails that are always stuffed to the max.

No one is going to feel comfortable wearing a mask most months of the year due to heat and humidity. Most little kids and babies won't keep them on at all. Temperature taking won't help much - I just read today that only about 1/3 of COVID patients actually run a fever. And what would they do with guests who get sick while they are there? They won't be able to travel for at least 3-4 weeks and most won't be admitted to hospitals.

I want to go back more than most people - I was supposed to go first week in May. But I don't understand how it could be done safely.

22. Thanks PunzelBelle thanked for this post
    Likes MNNHFLTX, dnickels, PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Yeah, but that's from the Daily Mail. It's like getting your news from the National Enquirer here in the U.S.
    Though that sounds as reliable as any news we have in the US

However, who knows. Might open w/ crazy restrictions, as I see some floating out there, not that I would go. I'm not going to wdw w/ a mask on.. whew. nope.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

24. Likes baldburke, Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to the rest of the country, but last weekend was near perfect spring weather for the northeast and it was crazy! I'll let you decide if it was crazy good or crazy bad, but there were so many people outside just trying to get out of house arrest and get some fresh air. I think governments are going to have a real challenge as we progress into warmer weather if they choose to try and continue to control the general public.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    I can't speak to the rest of the country, but last weekend was near perfect spring weather for the northeast and it was crazy! I'll let you decide if it was crazy good or crazy bad, but there were so many people outside just trying to get out of house arrest and get some fresh air. I think governments are going to have a real challenge as we progress into warmer weather if they choose to try and continue to control the general public.
    Yeah, in my town (down south) there are lots of people out working in their yards, walking, riding bikes, etc. but at least they are keeping distant from each other. I just can't imagine people being able to stay even 3 feet apart (much less 6 feet) at a place like WDW. The attractions just aren't built for it. Even if they could, I won't be going anyplace with crowds until there is an effective vaccine. I am in the high risk group and so is my wife, who has a seriously compromised immune system.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Yeah, in my town (down south) there are lots of people out working in their yards, walking, riding bikes, etc. but at least they are keeping distant from each other. I just can't imagine people being able to stay even 3 feet apart (much less 6 feet) at a place like WDW. The attractions just aren't built for it. Even if they could, I won't be going anyplace with crowds until there is an effective vaccine. I am in the high risk group and so is my wife, who has a seriously compromised immune system.
    Best to take care then! High risk folks should definitely take more precautions. Stay safe!
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this will cut down on ECV traffic/rentals and stroller traffic and rules?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt they are going to relax existing rules when the parks reopen. If anything there are going to be many more rules that will be enforced strictly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    I highly doubt they are going to relax existing rules when the parks reopen. If anything there are going to be many more rules that will be enforced strictly
    You are likely right! Probably so many rules that it will make people question if it is worth dropping a sizable amount of cash only to have limited fun.
    Beth & David

31. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a late August trip planned. We still only have the deposit down. We have no idea if WDW will be open in time, but have had conversations about whether we would want to go if they are. Some things we've thought about...

If they limit attendance, will our reservation be honored? They would have to cancel some reservations if they want limited capacity.

Will we want to be in Florida, in August, wearing masks? That would be challenging. Inside, no problem. Outside, difficult to imagine.

What will the social distancing do for wait times and ride capacity? If attendance is limited, hopefully that would reduce the impact on wait times or at least even it out with the distancing?

They would have to drastically reduce the number of sit down reservations. You can't eat and wear a mask, so they would have to make sure everyone is far enough apart and leave turnaround time for cleaning, and to make sure guests don't overlap.

We talked about all of this over dinner with the girls and explained that all of this could seriously impact our experience. We also talked about whether it would be taking an unnecessary risk to go. And then there's the question of value. Will the reduced experience come with reduced cost? We can't imagine paying the usual cost for a trip like that and having the experience greatly reduced. But, are they likely to offer those going a significant discount? Questionable.

So, we'll likely pass on a trip this year.
    Susanne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: