Quantcast Animal Kingdom tours vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge tours

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom tours vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge tours

So we were doing a little fantasizing about the trip we're hoping to have later this year and we talked about whether we would be interested in any of the tours. We've never done any of them, but the ones that interested us most were the ones at Animal Kingdom. We do have one non-park day planned during the trip and noticed that there are also tours at AK Lodge. Has anyone done both? How do they compare? If you've done any of them, would you mind sharing what you thought of it? Thanks!
    Susanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother and I did the behind scenes tour years ago at the park and it was interesting but not as good as I would have liked. We went to a few of the overwhelmingly large barns were they house the animals and that was neat to see but beyond that it was very similar to ones we had done here at home.

We did Giants tour in 2018 to see the elephants which was awesome. Literally it was the 3 of us and one other couple. Very personal and small. Spent tons of time on questions and items that interested our group even if they did not pertain just elephants. We chose this tour because it allowed children as young as my son at the time (5).

Due to the age restrictions we have not done any of the tours now offered at the lodge. We have stayed there and done many of the activities offered for children which you do not need to be staying there to participate in. The CMs were very informative and helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the rhino tour at AK and really enjoyed it. It was an hour long and there were ten (maybe twelve) people. They took you to the rhino barn, talked about their backgrounds, the animals backgrounds, demonstrated how they train the animals and then we were able to go up in pairs and pet one of the rhinos. Really awesome! And the price was pretty reasonable, too. I would certainly recommend it, but also wouldn’t say it was really repeatable. I’d do it again if I was with someone that wanted to do it, but I don’t think I’d do it again on my own.

6. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have done the Wild Africa Trek three times ... it is not cheap, but for a special event or celebration (which the second two were), it was worth it. We enjoyed it each time and will in a few years, do it again.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

8. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you did enjoy it. Have to be an animal lover however to enjoy it.
    April Showers and Easter 2024!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    My mother and I did the behind scenes tour years ago at the park and it was interesting but not as good as I would have liked. We went to a few of the overwhelmingly large barns were they house the animals and that was neat to see but beyond that it was very similar to ones we had done here at home.

We did Giants tour in 2018 to see the elephants which was awesome. Literally it was the 3 of us and one other couple. Very personal and small. Spent tons of time on questions and items that interested our group even if they did not pertain just elephants. We chose this tour because it allowed children as young as my son at the time (5).

Due to the age restrictions we have not done any of the tours now offered at the lodge. We have stayed there and done many of the activities offered for children which you do not need to be staying there to participate in. The CMs were very informative and helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We were looking at the Giants tour. Did you get to touch or interact with the elephants at all?
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    I did the rhino tour at AK and really enjoyed it. It was an hour long and there were ten (maybe twelve) people. They took you to the rhino barn, talked about their backgrounds, the animals backgrounds, demonstrated how they train the animals and then we were able to go up in pairs and pet one of the rhinos. Really awesome! And the price was pretty reasonable, too. I would certainly recommend it, but also wouldn’t say it was really repeatable. I’d do it again if I was with someone that wanted to do it, but I don’t think I’d do it again on my own.
    That is SO cool that you got to pet the rhinos!! I didn't see the rhino tour as an option in this year's guidebook. I'll have to check the WDW site.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62 View Post
    We have done the Wild Africa Trek three times ... it is not cheap, but for a special event or celebration (which the second two were), it was worth it. We enjoyed it each time and will in a few years, do it again.
    This is the one we really want to do I think. The guidebook says the costs vary. Did you pay the same amount each time?
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Elephants tour last year. We did not get to touch any of the elephants. During our tour, there were three male elephants in the area we could see. The oldest was an adult and the other two were described as "teenagers". The younger two were very playful and it was fun to watch them interact with each other. The older one actually left the area - we were told he was very good with the younger ones but, sometimes, needed space for himself.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

14. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    We did the Elephants tour last year. We did not get to touch any of the elephants. During our tour, there were three male elephants in the area we could see. The oldest was an adult and the other two were described as "teenagers". The younger two were very playful and it was fun to watch them interact with each other. The older one actually left the area - we were told he was very good with the younger ones but, sometimes, needed space for himself.
    Sounds like it was a great tour! And yeah, I'm with the older elephant. I would love some space for myself right now!
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

We did the night safari at AKL a few years ago, and it was awesome. Although we were just on the savanna of the resort, it felt like we were in the middle of no where with tons of animals around. I would 100% recommend it, and would do it again.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

17. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at AKL last November and fell in love. They have tours at Sanaa everday at 4PM. You get to sample the foods. Also they have night vision binoculars that you can use on the Savannah at night.
    We did the Wild African Trek at AK. I have done quite a few other tours at WDW...this was the best hands down!!
    1981 - 2001
    1/02 - All Star Movie
    1/04 - POFQ
    1/06 - ASMov
    1/08 - ASMus
    5/09 - Contemporary
    5/11 - PC
    5/12 - ASM
    5/13 - Coronado Springs
    5/14 - Port Orleans Riverside
    6/5 - Shades of Green
    1/17 - A of A
    5/18 - POR
    9/19 - Caribbean
    11/19 - AKL
    4/21 - Pop Century
    12/21 - Polynesian

19. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FenwayGirl View Post
    We stayed at AKL last November and fell in love. They have tours at Sanaa everday at 4PM. You get to sample the foods. Also they have night vision binoculars that you can use on the Savannah at night.
    We did the Wild African Trek at AK. I have done quite a few other tours at WDW...this was the best hands down!!
    We've eaten at Sanaa and walked out to use the night vision goggles. We really enjoyed it! Do you mean the Wild African Trek at AK was the best? That one sounds amazing!
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    We've eaten at Sanaa and walked out to use the night vision goggles. We really enjoyed it! Do you mean the Wild African Trek at AK was the best? That one sounds amazing!
    Yes, the Wild African Trek at AK..It was outstanding!
    1981 - 2001
    1/02 - All Star Movie
    1/04 - POFQ
    1/06 - ASMov
    1/08 - ASMus
    5/09 - Contemporary
    5/11 - PC
    5/12 - ASM
    5/13 - Coronado Springs
    5/14 - Port Orleans Riverside
    6/5 - Shades of Green
    1/17 - A of A
    5/18 - POR
    9/19 - Caribbean
    11/19 - AKL
    4/21 - Pop Century
    12/21 - Polynesian

22. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FenwayGirl View Post
    Yes, the Wild African Trek at AK..It was outstanding!
    I think that's the one we'll shoot for doing then! Thank you!
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, I don't remember the price differences... I think it had to do with the time of year and/or time of day.... Our most recent visit was in November....very enjoyable and crossing the rope bridge over the crocks then breakfast on the Savanah was really cool...
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

25. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: