Quantcast Current Year Maintenance Fees and Carry Points

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Current Year Maintenance Fees and Carry Points

This topic may be somewhat redundant as I see there already is a thread mentioning carrying points. The reality is that financial analysts are saying that Disney might not reopen their parks until 2021.

Akin to insurance companies giving users refunds, should we be getting a portion of our maintenance fees back? I understand you are damned if you do and damned if you don't that any refund now would probably result in higher fees next year. The internal wear and tear is obviously halted with parks being closed, but I'm sure building exteriors take a beating under Florida weather conditions.

The other thread discussed will we get to keep our points longer with potentially nine months of this year knocked out for travel. However, my question is would Disney allow for great DVC capacity rates to allow users to get back up to speed on their points? We have about 300 points per year, but if you are a family with a thousand or thousands of points per year then could you catch up?

Bonus question, is anyone aware of any history of DVC member class action suits against Disney? Lawyers will be laughing all the way to the bank once the dust from COVID-19 settles.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don't have any answers to your questions, I did get a response back from an email I wrote regarding banked 2018 points that would be lost due to my recent trips being cancelled because of the recent closures, etc.

They said they haven't made any changes to their banking or expiration policies due to the impact this could have on future inventory. They are currently evaluating options for members who were close to the end of their use year, and will have to delay any decisions until they better understand how long COVID-19 will impact operations.

I heard somewhere it is like an insurance company....they wouldn't say how much they will pay for damage while a hurricane is going on, they will have to wait until it is over to access the situation.

While it is not the members fault they couldn't use their banked points before the use year ends because of cancellations or closures, I guess this is a situation that has never happened before and they are in unchartered territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I was discussing this "inventory" issue with my DW last week. She had a brilliant idea Disney should consider: Extend the expiration of your contract by one year. (Our contract ends in 2042, so our new expiration year would be 2043.) This may delay some revenue in a couple decades, but will have virtually no impact on the current stock price and keep the "inventory" in balance.
    06/97 off property<br />09/00 Boardwalk<br />01/01 Beach Club<br />12/01 Poly<br />05/02 Yacht Club<br />12/02 Beach Club<br />12/02 Beach Club

5. Likes baldburke, ibelieveindisneymagic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CantonMich View Post
    Funny, I was discussing this "inventory" issue with my DW last week. She had a brilliant idea Disney should consider: Extend the expiration of your contract by one year. (Our contract ends in 2042, so our new expiration year would be 2043.) This may delay some revenue in a couple decades, but will have virtually no impact on the current stock price and keep the "inventory" in balance.
    Brilliant! Let's see if the bean counters go for it...
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has made changes to the banking and expiration policies. If folks have used 2019 points for reservations that fall within Disney's period of closure and those points are set to expire, those points will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 points that were banked into 2019 and used for reservations will be extended for six months from the current expiration date. This only applies to points that were used to book a stay during the time Disney has been, or will be, closed. Additionally, those who want to borrow points to make a reservation this year will only be able to borrow 50% of future use year points. This is a temporary measure to help Disney manage inventory. Annual dues will be reviewed when they are setting up statements for the end of this year. They are proposing providing a credit IF their association has an operating surplus. This comes from an e-mail I received about a week ago.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Disney has made changes to the banking and expiration policies. If folks have used 2019 points for reservations that fall within Disney's period of closure and those points are set to expire, those points will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 points that were banked into 2019 and used for reservations will be extended for six months from the current expiration date. This only applies to points that were used to book a stay during the time Disney has been, or will be, closed. Additionally, those who want to borrow points to make a reservation this year will only be able to borrow 50% of future use year points. This is a temporary measure to help Disney manage inventory. Annual dues will be reviewed when they are setting up statements for the end of this year. They are proposing providing a credit IF their association has an operating surplus. This comes from an e-mail I received about a week ago.
    I called about my banked points that were going to be used during a Spring Break reservation that was cancelled and they said they were only extending banked 2018 points with April or June use years. My use year is October and would not be eligible at this time. I told them I won't be travelling before Oct. 1st and those points were used for 2 trips that had to be cancelled because of the closure, but they still said only April and June. It isn't my doing that the trips were cancelled, but I am stuck right now with points that won't be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    I called about my banked points that were going to be used during a Spring Break reservation that was cancelled and they said they were only extending banked 2018 points with April or June use years. My use year is October and would not be eligible at this time. I told them I won't be travelling before Oct. 1st and those points were used for 2 trips that had to be cancelled because of the closure, but they still said only April and June. It isn't my doing that the trips were cancelled, but I am stuck right now with points that won't be used.
    That isn't right. Since they are the ones who chose to close, they shouldn't penalize you. Can you use them to book hotel rooms later on?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

At this time, they can only be used to travel before October 1, 2020 at WDW Vacation Club resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the joys of a timeshare. lol

It will be interesting to see how they handle this mess. There is no way to make everyone happy because some people can only travel at certain times and you can't even plan a vacation for the near future right now.

DVC is yet another reason why they will reopen the parks as soon as they possibly can. They will shift the burden off of themselves and put it onto DVC members to decide whether or not they are willing to come to WDW for a vacation or lose their points.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: