Quantcast goodbye refill mugs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default goodbye refill mugs

As I had dinner I looked at my refill mug on my table and realized that it is probably the last refill mug for a while that will be sold at Disney. With the current situation I would have to assume that refill mugs will be discontinued. It is strange to think about all the changes that will happen in the next year.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would they do away with refillable mugs? One user, so no big virus-passing opportunity. The mug never touches the drink spigot.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Why would they do away with refillable mugs? One user, so no big virus-passing opportunity. The mug never touches the drink spigot.
    They have gotten rid of refillable cups at fast food places. Well, technically you just go up and get another cup if you want a refill. It was the same way at the movies where we live when they were still open.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

They are getting rid coffee makers in the rooms and that should be single family use. I don't think they are going to want refillable mugs in the resorts. It is not contactless.

Post Thanks / Like

The Refillable Mug program is the least of the issues Disney faces before reopening. Every theme park, every attraction, restaurant and restroom in the parks are not contactless. There is simply no way to reopen them safely until a vaccine is developed and deployed. Once that happens, the mugs will be no more of an issue than they were before.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

7. Likes dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think they have to wait for a vaccine. There are other diseases that are much more deadly that you can pick up when you are out and about. I remember when MRSA was the latest craze. Now it is everywhere and no one bats an eye.

Post Thanks / Like

MRSA is a bacterial infection and is much less contagious (lower risk of infection) than Covid-19. But yes, theoretically you could catch it from another infected person at a theme park. Nevertheless, Covid-19 is so contagious and widespread and has such a high death rate, I think Disney would be reckless to open them parks before a vaccine was available or at least an effective treatment therapy to reduce the risk of death becomes widely available. I'm sure the common cold (rhinovirus) has always been widely spread at theme parks (think of the handrails in the queues) but the death rate is almost non-existent, so guests and park owners pretty much ignore that risk. It's a lot different right now with Covid-19. Putting tens of thousands of people together in any location (sports arenas, theme parks, etc.) while the virus is still being widely spread is pretty much guaranteed of creating a super-super-spreader event.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

10. Likes PopPhan, dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is going to be interesting. I don't think the mug is an issue in itself, but that people have to touch things to use it. Maybe we'll see like on the cruise where people are given wipes all over the place and before entering food areas.

I was always a wary at Disney anyways, so many people touching things! We washed hands a lot and used tons of sanitizer.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Theme parks have always been a germophobe's worst nightmare. For most people with good immune systems, normal bacteria and viruses are of little concern, so the parks are normally packed. But this novel coronavirus seems like a whole new ball game. I don't think people will be returning en masse to theme parks for a long time (until there is a widespread vaccine). I read a projection today that Disney's park division is losing about $30 million per day. Not good for the stock price.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    MRSA is a bacterial infection and is much less contagious (lower risk of infection) than Covid-19. But yes, theoretically you could catch it from another infected person at a theme park. Nevertheless, Covid-19 is so contagious and widespread and has such a high death rate, I think Disney would be reckless to open them parks before a vaccine was available or at least an effective treatment therapy to reduce the risk of death becomes widely available. I'm sure the common cold (rhinovirus) has always been widely spread at theme parks (think of the handrails in the queues) but the death rate is almost non-existent, so guests and park owners pretty much ignore that risk. It's a lot different right now with Covid-19. Putting tens of thousands of people together in any location (sports arenas, theme parks, etc.) while the virus is still being widely spread is pretty much guaranteed of creating a super-super-spreader event.
    According to the American College of Chest Physicians, when MRSA first came out, it had a 17% mortality rate. It can last on surfaces up to 2 months, and the incubation period was an average of 10 days. You can get it by contact with a person or contact with a surface that an infected person has touched. It was a big deal a long time ago. Now no one outside of healthcare really worries about it.
    Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with, including the employees at the park.

Post Thanks / Like

We've all stepped in florida hotel carpets.. I'm not worried about covid, ebola maybe.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite