Quantcast Bob Chapek: "..likely going to require is masks for both the casts and the guests..." - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I do not know or know of through friends or acquaintances anyone who has been hospitalized due to Covid 19. I know quite a few who have had it and it was like having a cold or allergies with body aches for a few days and on they went with their lives though.
    I personally know two people who have lost their mothers to COVID-19 and one friend who lost their mother and (42-year-old) brother to the virus. And I work in a hospital dealing daily with COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths. Please do not trivialize what these people and families go through just because it hasn’t touched you personally.

2. Thanks dnickels thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it is a start. Opening up but hope it will not last for long!
    April Showers and Easter 2024!!

5. Likes Cinderelley, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    If someone put out a bowl of 100 M&Ms that had 6 M&Ms with deadly poison in it and told you that eating one would allow our economy not to crash and people other than covid 19 people would receive their needed medical care, would you eat it? I would. I realize that the world is bigger than me. I am expendable for the greater good. Also, if I live, I may have developed an immunity to the deadly poison, allowing others to be safer.

What if those M&Ms can appear anywhere? When the elderly receive much needed supplies at their house, an M&M could be mixed in with their food. What happens then? They might see the M&M and take it out. They may not. What if a lot of people had eaten the M&Ms? Sure, 6 of them may die, but the other 94 of them have developed a resistance to it. They could deliver those much needed supplies to the vulnerable people and if an M&M appears, they could eat it for them. 94 people delivering supplies to those elderly people might save more people than the 6 who died from the initial M&Ms.
    Unless they are the peanut butter filled kind, I'm passing. Besides we all do that any time we eat m&ms. The green ones are poison I thought?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the green ones were magic!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

8. Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Unless they are the peanut butter filled kind, I'm passing. Besides we all do that any time we eat m&ms. The green ones are poison I thought?
    I just read that red #40 is the most toxic food dye. Maybe they are all slowly poisoning us.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I thought the green ones were magic!
    I was always told that the green ones had a much different effect, not appropriate for this forum.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

11. Thanks texas211 thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with the green ones then.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I was always told that the green ones had a much different effect, not appropriate for this forum.
    Probably the blue ones also. Don't eat them for more than 4 hours. :P

14. Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Party like a rock star!
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

16. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    As of now there have been 5,900,527 cases worldwide and 361,764 deaths. That's a 6% death rate.
    Recovery rate worldwide is at 42%.
    In the words of Samuel Clemmons (I know, Mark Twain), "There are lies, **** lies, and statistics. In all locations where testing rates are high, death rates are low. The death rate in America is less than 1% and falling as more people are tested. And it is important to note, in all countries, the overwhelming number of deaths is in the 75 and older category .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    In the words of Samuel Clemmons (I know, Mark Twain), "There are lies, **** lies, and statistics. In all locations where testing rates are high, death rates are low. The death rate in America is less than 1% and falling as more people are tested. And it is important to note, in all countries, the overwhelming number of deaths is in the 75 and older category .
    Exactly, and testing is still to this day so far behind and nowhere near easily enough accessed. There are literally millions of undiagnosed cases that are not counted in the statistics. How do I know this for sure.....because myself and my family did not have access to testing when we had it so we are not counted.

Anybody that is trying to stay home and avoid going out in public until there is a vaccine needs to realize that it will most likely be close to 3 years before enough vaccine can be produced for it to be available to the general public. That is assuming that a working vaccine is developed, tested and approved for use within the next 6 months or so. Who knows if that will even happen or not.

Post Thanks / Like

But, there is a big difference between the number of tests done vs fatalities (your 1% figure) and confirmed cases and fatalities (simple math shows that at 5.6% currently).

There will be a huge number of people tested who do not get the virus but may still be carriers. Do you want those people to infect your loved ones? Do you want to take a chance on a loved one falling into that 5.6% category?

I am all for opening everything back up and getting back to some semblance of "normal," but I would like to see a viable and valid treatment regimen for those who DO end up with the virus before risking my loved ones. NO, I am NOT saying to wait until a vaccine is ready, tested, and widely available. We all know that it could be many months before that is ready.

IF you intend to go out in public and socialize, just be careful and take necessary precautions, listen to the recommendations of healthcare professionals, and keep yourself and those around you safe and healthy.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

20. Likes dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    But, there is a big difference between the number of tests done vs fatalities (your 1% figure) and confirmed cases and fatalities (simple math shows that at 5.6% currently).

There will be a huge number of people tested who do not get the virus but may still be carriers. Do you want those people to infect your loved ones? Do you want to take a chance on a loved one falling into that 5.6% category?

I am all for opening everything back up and getting back to some semblance of "normal," but I would like to see a viable and valid treatment regimen for those who DO end up with the virus before risking my loved ones. NO, I am NOT saying to wait until a vaccine is ready, tested, and widely available. We all know that it could be many months before that is ready.

IF you intend to go out in public and socialize, just be careful and take necessary precautions, listen to the recommendations of healthcare professionals, and keep yourself and those around you safe and healthy.
    What in the World (pun intended) are you talking about???? At no time was it 5.6%. At its highpoint, when there was little testing, it was 2.5%. It is well below 1% now, unless you are 75+ years old.

And most importantly, people who died of other reasons, but tested positive for COVID are listed as COVID deaths.

Post Thanks / Like

What in the World (pun intended) are you talking about???? At no time was it 5.6%. At its highpoint, when there was little testing, it was 2.5%. It is well below 1% now, unless you are 75+ years old.

And most importantly, people who died of other reasons, but tested positive for COVID are listed as COVID deaths.
    Current numbers for the US: 2060158 confirmed cases, 115351 deaths ==>> 115351/2060158= 0.05599 As a percentage, that is 5.599%

But, you will believe what you want to believe....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

23. Likes dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of you is discussing over all statistics. One of you is discussing statistics for those not at high risk (I believe he said over 75, but don't remember exactly.) You are comparing apples to oranges. Statistics can be made to say anything you want them to say if you word the question correctly.

As far as listening to healthcare professionals, there are quite a few of them saying different things.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance and different priorities. My mother is 80, and she would rather see her kids (including me who has been working in the covid unit) and possibly die than live and not see them. Her answer to Popphan's question is yes, she is willing to possibly fall into that 5.6% category. I have many older friends and family members who have the same view. For some people it is quantity over quality. For others, it is quality over quantity. Only they can decide what is more important to them in their life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    One of you is discussing over all statistics. One of you is discussing statistics for those not at high risk (I believe he said over 75, but don't remember exactly.) You are comparing apples to oranges. Statistics can be made to say anything you want them to say if you word the question correctly.

As far as listening to healthcare professionals, there are quite a few of them saying different things.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance and different priorities. My mother is 80, and she would rather see her kids (including me who has been working in the covid unit) and possibly die than live and not see them. Her answer to Popphan's question is yes, she is willing to possibly fall into that 5.6% category. I have many older friends and family members who have the same view. For some people it is quantity over quality. For others, it is quality over quantity. Only they can decide what is more important to them in their life.
    Thank you for that. My mother has just been taken to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms. She tested positive this week, the test results came back yesterday, and she was rushed to the hospital this morning...Even with oxygen, before being shipped to the hospital, she is reading around 30% pulse-ox.

She is 84 and has been in a nursing home for a number of years now and we have not been able to see her since the first week of March, so if I am taking these comments a bit personally, please forgive me.

MODERATORS: Please feel free to delete any and/or all of my posts on this thread. I am sorry.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get what you are arguing. You are saying 5.6% of those that test positive for Covid 19 die. I have no doubt that is probably correct. RunDMV's point is that the people that die and are at high risk are above the age of 75. If you were to look at the statistics, I will guarantee you that over 95% of your 5.6% were over the age of 75 and of those I would bet most had a preexisting condition or were within a couple years of dying of either natural causes or succumbing to their preexisting condition.

That is what irritates me the most. Regardless of what they actually really were dying from, whether be cancer, COPD from 50 years of smoking or whatever; if they tested positive for Covid 19 prior to dying, the cause of death is being listed as Covid 19. It is skewing the statistics.

Current numbers for the US: 2060158 confirmed cases, 115351 deaths ==>> 115351/2060158= 0.05599 As a percentage, that is 5.599%

But, you will believe what you want to believe....
    I discussed this math above. However, I will add another comment. You are doing the math based on confirmed cases. That is all fine and good but there are literally hundreds of thousands of cases that are and will forever be unconfirmed because testing was either unavailable at the time or they just simply never went to the doctor. Part of my family falls into that category but we do in fact know for sure we had it because other family members that caught it from us tested positive a couple weeks later and they had the exact same symptoms and were sick the exact same amount of time.

The problem with Covid 19 is it is extremely contagious. I hate to break it to everyone but it is not going to be months until a vaccine is widely available to the general public. It is going to be in the area of 2 years. In all likelihood the majority of the population is going to have been exposed and had Covid 19 before a vaccine is widely available. It is going to a vaccine that was rushed with very little testing and may very well not be 100% effective and we may even see unintended side effects as the masses take it over the course of a couple of years. Think long and hard before you go take a vaccine with very little testing and background history. I'm not going to be taking it anytime soon and probably never will because this is going to play itself out anyway. I am actually glad I have already had it and can just move on with my life. Those of you that are healthy and low risk should really just quit worrying about it because you are in all likelihood going to get it sometime in the next year anyway regardless of how hard you try not to unless you go hide in a cave and don't come out for the next couple of years and even then you would have a good chance of getting it anyway because it is probably here to stay like the flu.

Pophan, I am sorry to hear that your mother has tested positive and is very sick. I hope they take care of her and she recovers. There really isn't much we can do to prevent this very contagious disease from running it's course. It is just going to happen and unfortunately we are going to lose people along the way.

27. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that. My mother has just been taken to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms. She tested positive this week, the test results came back yesterday, and she was rushed to the hospital this morning...Even with oxygen, before being shipped to the hospital, she is reading around 30% pulse-ox.

She is 84 and has been in a nursing home for a number of years now and we have not been able to see her since the first week of March, so if I am taking these comments a bit personally, please forgive me.

MODERATORS: Please feel free to delete any and/or all of my posts on this thread. I am sorry.
    You are just as entitled to your opinion as anyone else and things tend to appear differently when it is you or your loved ones who are critically ill.

I feel very strongly that keeping people's families away from them when they are needed most is wrong. I am all for having them in the code rooms in the ER if the family feels they can handle it. For some people, they need that closure. For some people, having their family there helps them find strength they didn't know they had. Also, when someone is very sick, they don't think like they normally do. For example, when I was very sick in the hospital, I thought my son didn't like me, because he didn't come and visit every day. Now that I am well, I can understand that he was in college full time and had to attend classes. My very sick brain couldn't comprehend that though. If I had the money, I would make a hospice unit just for covid 19 patients, so that their family members could be at their side.

Enough of my soap box. *hugs* and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

29. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the arguing over statistics isn't going to change the fact that if you want to go to Disney in the near future, you will have to wear a mask.

Mods, probably time to lock it, it's pretty well diverged from the 'here's what Chapek said' post that I meant it to be.

31. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the chances people are going to wear there masks, wear them consistently and correctly. Slim I reckon.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings