Quantcast Reopening. How did it go?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reopening. How did it go?

I've been too busy to stay up on things. Does anyone know how reopening went?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD has been talking with her cast member friends. They say for the most part it is going well. There are a few things that have needed to be adjusted. All most all of the guests are following the rules without problems. Even saying that wearing the masks is not as horrible as they thought it would be given the heat and humidity. One thing guests do not like is not being able to wear gators. Disney has a rule against those and bandanas. My DD's friends are trying to adjust to all the new rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    My DD has been talking with her cast member friends. They say for the most part it is going well. There are a few things that have needed to be adjusted. All most all of the guests are following the rules without problems. Even saying that wearing the masks is not as horrible as they thought it would be given the heat and humidity. One thing guests do not like is not being able to wear gators. Disney has a rule against those and bandanas. My DD's friends are trying to adjust to all the new rules.
    What is a gator?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    What is a gator?
    Gaiters. Those are the things that look like an oversized neck collar. LOL

For examplpe:
    https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/Golf...2000&fmt=pjpeg
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

6. Likes MNNHFLTX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to have gone pretty well.

They've had to tweak some things already, for example the original policy allowed masks-off when guests were eating or drinking, but as usually happens, people found ways to take advantage of that by walking around with a water bottle in hand and claiming they were drinking so they didn't have to wear their masks. The new policy basically doesn't allow that walking around loophole.

Post Thanks / Like

Way more comfortable too. I've used that and vietnam scarves as it is way more breathable. Dont like this trend starting companies defining masks. Ive convinced the wife we aren't going again until this mask nonsense has passed, if ever. She wants to come back to wdw at some point.

9. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Gaiters. Those are the things that look like an oversized neck collar. LOL

For examplpe:
    https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/Golf...2000&fmt=pjpeg
    Interesting. It looks like they would be hotter than a regular mask

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post

They've had to tweak some things already, for example the original policy allowed masks-off when guests were eating or drinking, but as usually happens, people found ways to take advantage of that by walking around with a water bottle in hand and claiming they were drinking so they didn't have to wear their masks. The new policy basically doesn't allow that walking around loophole.
    People need to be able to drink though or else they will have people dropping from dehydration like flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really, because most of the gaiters that people would be wearing are cooling gaiters. You soak them, and they cool your skin while also protecting the back of your neck from the sun. I have one, and have used it here when I knew I would be outside for a longer period of time.

I think there are two issues with using gaiters as masks:

1. Unless you pull the gaiter up far enough to fold it back over, and thus creating a double-fabric layer, it's not nearly as effective as a mask. That's probably why they're not allowing them to substitute as a mask. You can't really enforce whether the guests are doing that.

2. They don't stay up as well because there are no straps. I was readjusting mine *all the time* to keep it over my face. It definitely kept me cooler, and it protected my neck. But it was a pain to keep over my face as a mask.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

People need to be able to drink though or else they will have people dropping from dehydration like flies.
    And they can. They just have to stop in place to do it.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

14. Likes PopPhan, dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, way more comfortable. Thinner, made for summer activities like fishing, etc (there are cold weather versions. Fortunately most places don't care what you wear as long as it is something, so it works pretty well. Stays on my face and a lot more comfortable than the things that stretch over your ears. I also rotate to my scarves/giant handkerchief type things. Like a tshirt material, so pretty breathable and more comfortable, especially in hot places like AZ or Tx. I saw some that are made out of a mesh. But they are only the ear loop kind (yeah I know not as "protective" but I'm only wearing it for local compliance), so I'll stick to my gaiters and handkerchiefs/scarves.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Not really, because most of the gaiters that people would be wearing are cooling gaiters. You soak them, and they cool your skin while also protecting the back of your neck from the sun. I have one, and have used it here when I knew I would be outside for a longer period of time.

I think there are two issues with using gaiters as masks:

1. Unless you pull the gaiter up far enough to fold it back over, and thus creating a double-fabric layer, it's not nearly as effective as a mask. That's probably why they're not allowing them to substitute as a mask. You can't really enforce whether the guests are doing that.

2. They don't stay up as well because there are no straps. I was readjusting mine *all the time* to keep it over my face. It definitely kept me cooler, and it protected my neck. But it was a pain to keep over my face as a mask.
    Oh. I never know those existed. My oldest son would probably love something like that. He gets hot very easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. That would be a pain in the butt when dashing from place to place, but it is better than not drinking at all. Without fast passes, I suppose there's probably a lot of standing in line too. People would be able to drink then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Nah, way more comfortable. Thinner, made for summer activities like fishing, etc (there are cold weather versions. Fortunately most places don't care what you wear as long as it is something, so it works pretty well. Stays on my face and a lot more comfortable than the things that stretch over your ears. I also rotate to my scarves/giant handkerchief type things. Like a tshirt material, so pretty breathable and more comfortable, especially in hot places like AZ or Tx. I saw some that are made out of a mesh. But they are only the ear loop kind (yeah I know not as "protective" but I'm only wearing it for local compliance), so I'll stick to my gaiters and handkerchiefs/scarves.
    Does it soak up sweat pretty well?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. That would be a pain in the butt when dashing from place to place, but it is better than not drinking at all. Without fast passes, I suppose there's probably a lot of standing in line too. People would be able to drink then.
    From what I have read, the waits are really short (at least in the Magic Kingdom) and often less than what you would have for a FastPass line. I think Splash Mountain waits are still long, as people are trying to see it before it gets the makeover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post

This discussion is a perfect example of why I just simply do not need to go during all of this mask nonsense.

I walk fast, it is hot, I sweat and I need something to drink. I drink while I am walking. So if they actually do say something to you and try to enforce the no walking and drinking, then I would constantly be arguing with the CM's. The end result would be instead of me removing my mask while walking and while not close to anyone, I would then wait until I got to the attraction standing still in line and I would then remove my mask and drink. It is one of those trying to enforce one rule results in a worse situation kind of deals. The last place you want everyone removing their masks and drinking is in line. They can't make a rule of no drinking while in waiting in lines because someone would certainly fall out from dehydration and possibly die and then they would have a multi-million dollar lawsuit on their hands. They may end up with a few of them before this is all over with anyway due to heat exhaustion or dehydration.

I have been thinking about it the past week or so since they opened back up and all the mask rules have been coming out. I don't know that any of it really affects me very much anyway because I have been so unhappy with all of the Fastpass+ nonsense, parking fees and so forth that I had no intentions of going in the next couple of years anyway so either way it all works out the same. I do hope some good comes of all of this and they take advantage of the opportunity to make some changes in areas where they knew they had created their own mess but couldn't figure out how to back out of it. It would be an excellent time to change Fastpass to where you can't make them until you are physically in the park. It would be fine with me if they did the same thing with dining or at least withheld a good percentage of dining reservations to be used day of by in park guests.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I have been thinking about it the past week or so since they opened back up and all the mask rules have been coming out. I don't know that any of it really affects me very much anyway because I have been so unhappy with all of the Fastpass+ nonsense, parking fees and so forth that I had no intentions of going in the next couple of years anyway so either way it all works out the same. I do hope some good comes of all of this and they take advantage of the opportunity to make some changes in areas where they knew they had created their own mess but couldn't figure out how to back out of it. It would be an excellent time to change Fastpass to where you can't make them until you are physically in the park. It would be fine with me if they did the same thing with dining or at least withheld a good percentage of dining reservations to be used day of by in park guests.
    AMEN to the FastPass change. FP+ is terrible. I've still never figured out what they were thinking when they tried to spin it as allowing you to be MORE spontaneous in your vacation planning. I mean, if you have to plan the day and time to be on a roller coaster two months in advance, that is the absolute opposite of "spontaneity".

We finally went back to DL this past October (first time in 25 years) and LOVED MaxPass, even though we had to pay for it. So much better than FP+. Although, i'll admit that I do like the MagicBands for my park ticket and ability to tie a CC to it.
    DL - 1996, 2019

22. Likes Cinderelley, Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I won't be returning until all this mask business goes away...

Post Thanks / Like

AMEN to the FastPass change. FP+ is terrible. I've still never figured out what they were thinking when they tried to spin it as allowing you to be MORE spontaneous in your vacation planning. I mean, if you have to plan the day and time to be on a roller coaster two months in advance, that is the absolute opposite of "spontaneity".

We finally went back to DL this past October (first time in 25 years) and LOVED MaxPass, even though we had to pay for it. So much better than FP+. Although, i'll admit that I do like the MagicBands for my park ticket and ability to tie a CC to it.
    Same....I’ve hated it from the outset and refuse to go back u til it is gone. I have made multiple trips to Disneyland though and love the new / old system there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    This discussion is a perfect example of why I just simply do not need to go during all of this mask nonsense.

I walk fast, it is hot, I sweat and I need something to drink. I drink while I am walking. So if they actually do say something to you and try to enforce the no walking and drinking, then I would constantly be arguing with the CM's. The end result would be instead of me removing my mask while walking and while not close to anyone, I would then wait until I got to the attraction standing still in line and I would then remove my mask and drink. It is one of those trying to enforce one rule results in a worse situation kind of deals. The last place you want everyone removing their masks and drinking is in line. They can't make a rule of no drinking while in waiting in lines because someone would certainly fall out from dehydration and possibly die and then they would have a multi-million dollar lawsuit on their hands. They may end up with a few of them before this is all over with anyway due to heat exhaustion or dehydration.

I had thought the same thing about drinking things in line, but people need to stay hydrated.

I really like the Maxpass system at Disneyland. You can't get a fastpass until you are in the park. It may not work for those who have an older phone though. I am not sure.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: