Quantcast Disney Lays Off 28,000 Employees - Statement From Josh D'Amaro

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Lays Off 28,000 Employees - Statement From Josh D'Amaro

STATEMENT FROM JOSH D’AMARO, CHAIRMAN, DISNEY PARKS, EXPERIENCES AND PRODUCTS (DPEP)

In light of the prolonged impact of COVID-19 on our business, including limited capacity due to physical distancing requirements and the continued uncertainty regarding the duration of the pandemic – exacerbated in California by the State’s unwillingness to lift restrictions that would allow Disneyland to reopen – we have made the very difficult decision to begin the process of reducing our workforce at our Parks, Experiences and Products segment at all levels, having kept non-working Cast Members on furlough since April, while paying healthcare benefits. Approximately 28,000 domestic employees will be affected, of which about 67% are part-time. We are talking with impacted employees as well as to the unions on next steps for union-represented Cast Members.

Over the past several months, we’ve been forced to make a number of necessary adjustments to our business, and as difficult as this decision is today, we believe that the steps we are taking will enable us to emerge a more effective and efficient operation when we return to normal. Our Cast Members have always been key to our success, playing a valued and important role in delivering a world-class experience, and we look forward to providing opportunities where we can for them to return.

LETTER TO EMPLOYEES FROM JOSH D’AMARO, CHAIRMAN, DISNEY PARKS, EXPERIENCES AND PRODUCTS (DPEP)

September 29, 2020

Team,

I write this note to you today to share some difficult decisions that we have had to make regarding our Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products organization.

Let me start with my belief that the heart and soul of our business is and always will be people. Just like all of you, I love what I do. I also love being surrounded by people who think about their roles as more than jobs, but as opportunities to be a part of something special, something different, and something truly magical.

Earlier this year, in response to the pandemic, we were forced to close our businesses around the world. Few of us could have imagined how significantly the pandemic would impact us -- both at work and in our daily lives. We initially hoped that this situation would be short-lived, and that we would recover quickly and return to normal. Seven months later, we find that has not been the case. And, as a result, today we are now forced to reduce the size of our team across executive, salaried, and hourly roles.

As you can imagine, a decision of this magnitude is not easy. For the last several months, our management team has worked tirelessly to avoid having to separate anyone from the company. We’ve cut expenses, suspended capital projects, furloughed our cast members while still paying benefits, and modified our operations to run as efficiently as possible, however, we simply cannot responsibly stay fully staffed while operating at such limited capacity.

As heartbreaking as it is to take this action, this is the only feasible option we have in light of the prolonged impact of COVID-19 on our business, including limited capacity due to physical distancing requirements and the continued uncertainty regarding the duration of the pandemic.

Thank you for your dedication, patience and understanding during these difficult times. I know that these changes will be challenging. It will take time for all of us to process this information and its impact. We will be scheduling appointments with our affected salaried and non-union hourly employees over the next few days. Additionally, today we will begin the process of discussing next steps with unions. We encourage you to visit The Hub or the WDI Homepage for any support you may need.

For those who will be affected by this decision, I want to thank you for all that you have done for our company and our guests. While we don’t know when the pandemic will be behind us, we are confident in our resilience, and hope to welcome back Cast Members and employees when we can.

Most sincerely,
    Josh
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD's heart is breaking for her fellow cast members and herself. This is such a hard time for all
    I don't know if this is allowed but there is a way to help cast members in the Orlando area. Let me know if it is ok to post the information

4. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame for Disney and a shame for all work folks that have been affected by their over-reaching state governments.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

6. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother-in-law's granddaughter (Lots of words there! LOL) was supposed to be on a CP program in EPCOT this Fall, but this virus situation ended that. It is so sad to see that so many more CMs will be out of work for the foreseeable future due to this.

Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected and hopes that there will soon be an end to this dreadful situation.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

8. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sad to hear this news. My prayers and heartfelt thanks go out to all the cast members being affected by this. I think Disney held out as long a they could before resorting to this mass layoff thinking something would change and they could get back to normal.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

10. Likes Cinderelley, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DD did 2 DCPs and was accepted to extend in January 2020 for another 6 months. She felt her time was down and came home, found a great job, and began her career. She will always be a CM. I feel bad for everyone even tangentially connected. I've heard the pain in DDs voice as she talks about her friends still there. This is a hard time and an even harder lesson for many people. The CMs who are now looking for work will always have Pixie Dust in their blood and always live the 4 Keys. They have been changed forever in a powerful way. They need to know this isn't the end, just a different beginning than they thought they'd have. Some will be blessed and return to the Mouse in the future, but others will take the skills and experiences to other lucky organizations.

I know there is a shopping list on A***zon for a CM food pantry in FL. You can buy from the list, it'll be delivered to the pantry and those who need it can recieve. I am going to shop again soon for them.

12. Likes Cinderelley, PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: