Cast:

DS: 10
Me

Yesterday threw me for a loop. We waited from 7:00 AM until 8:23 AM for an Animal Kingdom bus and only one came, taking only one group. Would today be the same? I noticed yesterday, the crowd seemed heavier than the previous two days. Much heavier.

Hollywood Studios is reserved for today. Rides open at 10 AM, with park opening at 9 AM. My son and I arrive at the Trinidad bus stop around 7:10 AM. Today, we will be much more proactive, regarding buses. At 7:40 AM, I've had enough. One HS bus had come, taking only one group. The rest of the buses are either Internal Shuttles or Magic Kingdom. Uber. He's there in minutes and we are on our way to HS. It should only take a few minutes and we should arrive at or around 8 AM, plenty of time before things open. On our way to the HS Parking Lot, Disney has the road coned off and is turning all approaching cars around. We have to head back out and wind up off Disney property. The driver says, they will probably remove the cones around 9 AM. He'll take us for a coffee. We drive to McDonald's, grab a coffee and try to time it so we return around 9 AM. Our timing is good, but the parking lot gates are backed way up. We just want dropped off. It takes us a few minutes to get through the gates and he lets us out to get in line for entrance. To borrow a line from "A Christmas Story," the line was backed to Terra Haute! In fact, as my son and I were walking to the end of the line, the line was growing faster than we were walking. The end was moving away from us as we moved toward it. Would we enter before 10 AM and have a chance at Rise of the Resistance?

We get into line (finally) and start walking toward security. It moves quickly, but we don't enter the park until 9:47 AM. Bear in mind, I was at my bus stop just a little after 7 AM.

The information page in the Disney Television stated the park opens at 10 AM. We had never ridden Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway and get into line, which is already at 90 minutes. We find out the rides opened at 9 AM, not 10 AM as advertised. As we get in line, the line is stopped by cast members as it is now at full capacity.

The announcement comes that the opportunity for ROTR is approaching. I ready my app. I'm on it this time. Anticipation. Nervous fingers. The button becomes active and I press it. It comes to the riders screen and STUPIDLY I hit "Select All." It selects the people who are back in Pittsburgh, too. Nothing available. I go back and see my mistake. I try to quickly de-select those not here, leaving just my son and I. I try again. Fail. I hear screams. "WE GOT ONE!!!" Try again. Error message. "WE'RE IN, DAD! We need to exit the line now." Still no luck for me, but others are having success. FAIL!. Reload. FAIL. More shouts of exuberance as other secure their passes. ALL HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTED!! "Sorry, son. We have one more try."

I have been hearing rumors at the parks of Disney selling VIP Passes, which operate just like FastPasses, except unlimited and at a fee. No one has verified that to me though. We enter the pre-show area. There, I see a FastPass line in operation with just a handful of people. They may be disabled, but everyone appears very fit. (You can never tell outwardly what may ail anyone.) Still, it appears the rumors may be true. I ask the CM. He assures me this is purely for those requiring special access.

The ride has a very interesting effect before you board, but it is disabled and you just walk to the loading area. I'm disappointed because I wanted to see it. As we enter our train, I'm reminded of the Great Movie Ride and I miss it. The ride is very cute. The effects are impressive. Disney is doing a lot of video mapping on the audioanimatronics. The train vehicles operate independent of each other. The technology is impressive, but I doubt I'd wait 120 minutes again to ride it. It's cute and worth one look, but not that cute.

After the Railway ride, we head over to Star Tours. There is only a 20 minute line here so we get in. Once again, we see very nubile individuals utilizing the FastPass lane. Hmmmm. Star Tours is great. My son loves it. We decide to give Galaxy Edge another look and head there. We begin to explore it fully. There is so much detail. I use the mobile app for Ronto's Roasters for lunch. Unusual looking meal, but I really enjoy it. I think it was a sausage. Then we go to Docking Bay 7 for dessert. Again, entertaining looking food, but tasty. My son and I are having a decent time. There's a slight show taking place by some Storm Troopers. There are so many ambient sounds throughout, it feels like a real place.

Smuggler's Run is only 90 minutes and we decide to get in line. It moves quick, but I'm enjoying all the detail on the Millennium Falcon. I'm in no hurry here. There's are little voice-over skits that are very cute to entertain through the wait. As you are about to enter the ride, it feels like you've boarded the Falcon itself. For me, this was better than the ride. I LOVED IT!!!! We stunk up the joint on the ride, but my son thinks he is the reason we didn't crash. "I Saved us, dad!! I can fly a spacecraft and saved the day there (Mission: Space,) and saved the day on the Millennium Falcon. That's two I saved!"

We exit through Galaxy Edge's rear and go to Toy Story Mania. The line is past "One Man's Dream," but moves quickly. I whip him, but he handles the loss well. It's raining when we exit and the park thins just slightly so we re-enter the line and he has a rematch. He loses again, but his accuracy is much better and he wins several rounds.

1:58 PM. Do or Die!. I'm ready. Active. "Nothing Available." Reload. "Error Message." Reload. "Nothing Available." Reload. Error Message. Switching to WiFi. Reload. "All Have been Distributed." We will NOT be riding that this trip!

Saucer ride. Cotton Candy. One more TSM whipping for good measure, then we watch "One Man's Dream." He's fascinated with Disney's imagination. I thought he'd be bored, but he was very drawn in.

He doesn't want to ride Tower of Terror or Rock n' Rollercoaster. He'd like to shop. Unfortunately, the line to enter the stores is too long and we decide to leave.

I've been to Walt Disney World many times in October. It is generally when I go. The park appeared to be filled exactly as it would be on any non-COVID October day. M&MRR was at or near 120 minutes most of the day. As was Smuggler's Run. Rock 'n Rollercoaster was between 90-120 throughout. So was TOT. Unwilling to wait to enter a store, we head to the Skyliner.

Yesterday, I had called Guest Services to ask why our beds weren't being made. They explained it is part of the minimally invasive procedures designed to keep both guest and cast member safe, but would make the bed if I requested, which I did. It's nice to come back to a freshly cleaned room with made beds when on vacation. Everything was nice and tidy.

We have 8:15 PM ADR for House of Blues tonight. My son and I relax for a bit in our newly made beds before readying to head out. We arrive at the bus stop at 7:00 PM. Plenty of time since CB is very close to Disney Springs. At 7:25 PM, one bus stops at our bus and opens his doors and says, "Sorry folks. No one got off so no one can get on." There are two groups ahead of us. We have to Uber. Again! Uber arrives within three minutes and we are on our way with time to spare.

Disney has a flashing sign posted "DISNEY SPRINGS AT FULL CAPACITY." What does that mean? The line of cars to enter the parking lot is long and slow. I call House of Blues to inform them I may be late and they are understanding. As we enter the parking lot, Disney guards are turning the cars around and ushering them back onto the highway. "Let us out here!" A cast member runs over to me. "Get back into the car, sir."

"I'm a Caribbean Beach Resort guest and I have ADRs for 8:15 and you guys are NOT providing appropriate bus service and my son and I are walking to an entrance." He points the way and allows us to proceed.

Our dinner was great! My son gets the voodoo shrimp. I order from the Smokehouse. It's delicious. Ribs and brisket. With a Beer! Mmmm. For dessert, I get the bread pudding. It is so good, but it is so heavy. After only one-third, I can't eat another bite.

We explore the shops on the West End. There's a slight drizzle, but Disney Springs is extremely crowded. We walk to the bus stop and as always there's a long line at our stop. At night, however, they overwhelm with buses and we are loaded and on our way back quickly.

As we are on the bus, I realize, I have not seen one character yet. Not one. No Mickey. No Minnie. No Pluto. No Goofy. No Donald. Not one of them, except in the cartoons of the rides. I realize that's what's leaving me feeling so empty. Oh sure, they had Drizilla and Anastasia doing some mock fight show, but that's it.

I know Disney is a corporation designed to make its stockholders money, but when I get on that property, I fully suspend belief and buy into "This Land is owned and run by Mickey and his friends." But none of them are there. It's being run like Kennywood Park at the moment. Utilitarian. Not Magical. I want the Fantasy. I want the Magic!!!

As we prepare for bed, I begin to worry about tomorrow. It is our last day and it is the Magic Kingdom. What if the bus situation to the MK in the morning is as bad as the last two days? Should I go to Centertown instead? What if the line there is long? Uber? Where would it drop us? Transportation Center? How long to get to the Magic Kingdom from there? When would they allow us to enter? Would the road be blocked again? Should we arrive ridiculously early? Should we eat breakfast at Centertown and forego the early lines and arrive late?

I'm not excited for tomorrow at all. I'm anxious.

And my son keeps asking, "How much longer do we have to stay here?"