Quantcast Disney faces digital dilemma despite streaming success

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Post Disney faces digital dilemma despite streaming success

Disney faces digital dilemma despite streaming success

Media empire must sustain its costly online push while its lucrative legacy businesses decline

The Walt Disney Company, in its 97th year, has decided its television future lies in streaming. But what happens to its past?

Disney Plus has been a knockout success, signing up more than 70m subscribers in its first year to cement the Mickey Mouse empire as a serious competitor to Netflix, whose boss Reed Hastings had expected its new rival to secure 20m customers “at best”.

As the group re-engineers itself around video streaming, giving up lucrative licensing revenue, it must also manage the decline of its ageing TV channels and movie studios. Taking the long view, Bob Iger, executive chairman and former chief executive, recently told friends that once-mighty channels such as Disney-owned ABC were “over”, and that Disney’s future was streaming and theme parks.

But unlike the lossmaking Disney Plus, these networks bring in billions of dollars a year.

The predicament has left Disney with an uneven strategy for TV channels such as the sports network ESPN and the entertainment networks that feed Hulu, the US-only streaming service Disney took majority control of last year. It also reveals that even for the world’s best-positioned traditional media company, the transition to streaming will be bumpy and financially uncertain.

Full article here:
    https://www.ft.com/content/cf22ac6b-...6-6689c625461d
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course this change won't be instant, but they are correct that "the ship has sailed" with so many under say 30 who rely very heavily on streaming vs. traditional TV (including cable). So for that matter, Comcast, Viacom and all those other lesser names will have the same challenge. Probably much like the print industry in the last 20 years. When's the last time anyone bought a magazine, let alone had a newspaper subscription. I can't wait to cancel cable, but DW is still a heavy watcher. It's weird to think that the traditional 26 episode series (comedy or drama) will probably be a thing of the past. Let alone movie theaters and the whole experience of going to the movies. It will be interesting to see where Hollywood lands on the other side.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

There has been talk lately about Disney + and Hulu becoming one service in order to combine the subscribers. Not sure how exactly that will work or what they would then charge.

Personally, I use Hulu plus Live TV for my main television viewing and add Disney + and Espn bundle during college hoops season - so I would personally prefer they stay seperate.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I have one magazine subscription - GOLF - because it is 'free for life'...(Long story there, but the mag is worth it to me.)

As far as shortened series go, I think the British have been doing this for quite some time -- 10 episode 'seasons.' It is fine, but it seems that you are only just getting into it when the season is over. I am seeing this with 'The Mandalorian' right now. It makes it easier for the actors and all the 'behind the scenes' people, but leaves the viewers hanging for inordinate amounts of time.

Many 'regular' broadcast network shows have a different problem -- Their longer seasons are too often broken up by holidays, sporting events, etc.

I have the Disney+ bundle (D+, Hulu, ESPN+,) Prime Video (due to having a Prime account for my Amazon shopping,) and HBO Max (due to subscribing to HBO on my cable network, and like them well enough, but don't see them as the "end all, be all" for viewing. Honestly, in my opinion, Prime has some of the best original series out there right now. Warner's deal to put all their movies on HBO Max on the same day they are released to the theaters is a big win in my book as well.

Would I drop cable to just stream evereything? I don't know at this point.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a TV. I have a 2 year subscription to Disney + that I got free somewhere along the line. I don't use it. All 3 of my adult children have access to it, but the only thing it is used for is my oldest DS to watch The Mandalorian. I watched more of it when I was staying at DS1's house, but now that I'm back in my other home, I don't feel the need to watch it.

Out of all 4 of the households, the only one who really watches any streaming services is DS1's mother in law. She definitely isn't in the under 30 category.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: