Quantcast Disney Genie and genie+

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Genie and genie+

So have you all seen this replacement for Fastpass? I am NOT happy at all that they are replacing something that was free - ie 3 fastpasses a day to something you pay for - $15 a day per person!! and for only 2.
    Of course I can always pay even more for Lightening Lane!! I don't think so.
    DH and I really wanted to come back to celebrate a successful lung transplant ( fingers crossed it happens ) and bring his brother for his first trip, but now, not so sure.
    Going to impatiently wait to see how it works when its implimented in the autumn.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been increasingly disappointed in their continual greed and sharply declining lack of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

From what I'm reading if you pay the $15 a day it's unlimited and you get to choose from available times to come back to an attraction. The other option is you pay extra to actually schedule your ride times (YOU dictate what time you want to come back, not pick from available times) Ian be wrong but that's what it sounds like to me. I'm not sure if we'd spend the extra money but I can say that for a family of 4 for 7 day tickets this is WAY less than we would have paid I'd we had bought Express Passes for 2 days at Universal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm, I read it as pay $15 and get 2 at times they choose and if available. Hope you're right and I'm wrong as sounds better but still paying for something that was free before and that *****
    POFQ Sept 2012

Post Thanks / Like

They’ve been charging for MaxPass at Disneyland for a while now. Got to believe that they’ve been looking for, and drooling over, an opportunity to implement something similar at WDW. The “happy faces” in the announcement ( https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...6&bid=97549221 ) claim that MaxPass has been wildly popular in Disneyland. Excuse me for being cynical about that claim. Seems like merely a Disney ploy to add cost while reducing value…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cass&KenziesMom View Post
    From what I'm reading if you pay the $15 a day it's unlimited and you get to choose from available times to come back to an attraction. The other option is you pay extra to actually schedule your ride times (YOU dictate what time you want to come back, not pick from available times) Ian be wrong but that's what it sounds like to me. I'm not sure if we'd spend the extra money but I can say that for a family of 4 for 7 day tickets this is WAY less than we would have paid I'd we had bought Express Passes for 2 days at Universal.

The $15 a day per person does not include the most popular rides. They have not released the charge for those for obvious reasons.
    I have zero interest of ever returning to this place.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Maxpass system at Disneyland, but I only think it is a value monetary wise when you get your photopass with it. I was sad to see that it isn't included.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm of mixed opinions on this. We all knew it was coming. We only have to look down the road to see the crazy prices that Universal charges for their express pass to know that Disney wasn't going to leave this being free forever (yes, I know they are different offerings).

But, I feel like they have made this extra confusing. Pay $15 for FP, and then pay again for some of the most popular rides? I hate the feeling of paying for every little thing, it just gets frustrating. The first thing I'm going to think about when I get off a paid ride is "what is worth the $?".

Let's be honest though, I'm going to pay it. I want the best Disney vacation I can have, and Disney is counting on there being a lot more people like me.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    The first thing I'm going to think about when I get off a paid ride is "what is worth the $?".
    Right? That's why I would be okay with it if Photopass was included like it is at Disneyland. The "free" extra effects in the photos at Disney World just aren't worth it to me.
    But you are right, we all knew it was coming when they said they were doing it at other Disney parks.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    The $15 a day per person does not include the most popular rides. They have not released the charge for those for obvious reasons.
    I have zero interest of ever returning to this place.
    Wonder if it will be at the same scale as Disneyland Paris - $8 - $17 per attraction/ride?
    If it is going to be that high, I guess I'll never ride Rise of the Resistance, or Ratatoullie, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.... $15 per day for ALL rides is reasonable (not really with the regular entrance ticket cost, but by comparison) but $15 (average) per ride is definitely NOT reasonable.

It is getting to the point where I am actually starting the 'internal debate' on whether or not to actually go in January.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Wonder if it will be at the same scale as Disneyland Paris - $8 - $17 per attraction/ride?
    If it is going to be that high, I guess I'll never ride Rise of the Resistance, or Ratatoullie, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.... $15 per day for ALL rides is reasonable (not really with the regular entrance ticket cost, but by comparison) but $15 (average) per ride is definitely NOT reasonable.

It is getting to the point where I am actually starting the 'internal debate' on whether or not to actually go in January.
    From what I'm reading if the rides use a virtual que or boarding groups like Rise of the Resistance those will be available and if there are spots you can get you can get them at no charge.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie

Post Thanks / Like

The video on the Disney Parks YouTube channel hosted by Gary Daniels explaining Genie and Genie + is currently at 87% negative reaction. Customer Service must be getting blasted.

Do a search for the Dinosaurs TV show episode "Variations on a Theme Park" from 1994. "Wesaysoland, where everyone has fun, because we say so"
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    The video on the Disney Parks YouTube channel hosted by Gary Daniels explaining Genie and Genie + is currently at 87% negative reaction. Customer Service must be getting blasted.
    But Disney told us this is what we wanted, what we asked for, what we NEEDED.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    But if you think about it....it is what people wanted. Not the "pay to play" aspect but the option to NOT have to plan out your rides and essentially your day 60 days in advance. I DO think theyaybe should have thrown in the 2 top tier rides for resort guests. I have 238 days to think about whether we'll be doing the Genie+ thing. As of now I'm really on the fence. Thankfully I have a great Travel Agent that will give me her honest opinion on how it works when she tries it.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie

Post Thanks / Like

But if you think about it....it is what people wanted. Not the "pay to play" aspect but the option to NOT have to plan out your rides and essentially your day 60 days in advance. I DO think theyaybe should have thrown in the 2 top tier rides for resort guests. I have 238 days to think about whether we'll be doing the Genie+ thing. As of now I'm really on the fence. Thankfully I have a great Travel Agent that will give me her honest opinion on how it works when she tries it.

Not what DH and I wanted, but perhaps we're in the minority. We liked having our 3 must-do attractions locked in at 60 days, therefore giving the day some structure and eliminating some uncertainty, which with special needs is a good thing.
    POFQ Sept 2012

18. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    i've just e-mailed Guest relations to explain not what i need. Don't expect it to do a blind bit of difference, but made me feel better
    POFQ Sept 2012

20. Likes njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gary Daniels video is now at 90% negative.

22. Likes njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I'm reading if the rides use a virtual que or boarding groups like Rise of the Resistance those will be available and if there are spots you can get you can get them at no charge.

These will still use boarding groups, but also will be available as a paid lightning lane pass...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am in the minority around here but this change makes me happy. I hated and I can't emphasize hated enough to describe how much I disliked FP+. Having to sit at the computer or on your app 60 days in advance waiting for the moment your window to schedule FP+ because the popular rides would be gone in a few minutes was beyond irritating. Especially when you own businesses, are super busy and you deal with scheduling and logistics all day long every day. A vacation at WDW became basically a job.

I said from day 1 of FP+ that I would gladly pay for a system where we picked some sort of fastpasses on the day of our visit to a park. This is one of those things where they can now control how many people are utilizing the system by adjusting the price. Most other theme parks have been using this sort of pay to play system for a while and it works well. FP+ was about as aggravating and dysfunctional as it could possibly have been. The only people it worked well for was those that would show up and do their FP attractions and maybe one or two others and then leave to go do other things. Those of us who want to do most all of the attractions and enjoy the entire park were left to deal with the long lines on the attractions we didn't have fastpasses.

25. Likes Cass&KenziesMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Maybe I am in the minority around here but this change makes me happy. I hated and I can't emphasize hated enough to describe how much I disliked FP+. Having to sit at the computer or on your app 60 days in advance waiting for the moment your window to schedule FP+ because the popular rides would be gone in a few minutes was beyond irritating. Especially when you own businesses, are super busy and you deal with scheduling and logistics all day long every day. A vacation at WDW became basically a job.

I said from day 1 of FP+ that I would gladly pay for a system where we picked some sort of fastpasses on the day of our visit to a park. This is one of those things where they can now control how many people are utilizing the system by adjusting the price. Most other theme parks have been using this sort of pay to play system for a while and it works well. FP+ was about as aggravating and dysfunctional as it could possibly have been. The only people it worked well for was those that would show up and do their FP attractions and maybe one or two others and then leave to go do other things. Those of us who want to do most all of the attractions and enjoy the entire park were left to deal with the long lines on the attractions we didn't have fastpasses.
    I felt the same way. Still haven't decided if we're going to do Genie+ but like I said earlier it's WAY cheaper than Universal so I'm more inclined to do this than Express Passes at Universal.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: