Quantcast What is something that blew you away? (Good stuff!)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is something that blew you away? (Good stuff!)

I was thinking about how they're changing a bunch of the nighttime shows/fireworks, all of the new attractions at DHS and Epcot, etc. and I was wondering something.

What is something that, the first time you experienced it at Walt Disney World, just blew you away? It was so different, new, amazing, etc, that you almost couldn't believe it, or had to do it again and again, etc.

For example, for me, it would have to be the first time I saw the nighttime show where they used projection mapping on Cinderella Castle. I was absolutely floored. It was done so well, so perfectly. It was incredible to see the castle change into various scenes from the movies and see it look like it was made of ice, then of bricks, different colors, etc.

And now to see how they have taken that technology and just keep finding new ways to incorporate it. Like in the Odyssey building in Epcot, there is a projection mapped display that shows all of the updates coming to that park. And then, of course, projection mapping is how they created Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and the new Ratatouille ride. Seriously, amazing stuff.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love these kind of posts.

-- Tapestry of Nations Parade. I loved the inventiveness of the puppetry. It was so interactive, so unusual, and the music was captivating. I loved it!!!! (Tapestry of Dreams did not impress me as much as I thought it was a rip-off attempt. LOL.)

-- Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. Moved me to tears. Still does, although it's gone now! I remember when we brought my in-laws down for their trip, my FIL said to me after seeing it, "Worth the whole trip just for this!"

-- Flight of Avatar. When it "connects" with the banshee, that first visual absolutely blew me away! Sadly, return rides have had some of the steepest dropoffs for effect. Other timeless rides maintain their enjoyment. After three times of riding FOA and seeing the exact same visuals, I was much less impressed.

-- Tower of Terror. Just the pre-ride detail was enough to have me hooked. Look at the signs on the wall. Letters have fallen off. "U R Doomed!" The cobwebs. The details. When the ride vehicle came out of the elevator shaft, I was floored.

-- Splash Mountain. To me, that was Disney flexing its muscles. At that time, flume rides were becoming the rage. Disney was at its Zenith in my mind, towering over the other theme parks. (Others have caught up, or rather Disney has fallen back to the pack.) In my mind, I imagined Disney execs saying, "You guys want a flume ride? We will show you how it's supposed to be."

-- Candlelight Processional. Music was amazing. "One Solitary Life" had me in tears.

back to age 15 at Disneyland
    -- Haunted Mansion. I had NEVER ridden anything like that before. I thought Disney must have been wizards or something. I remember coming home and saying, "They made real ghosts on this ride. I'm not kidding. Real ghosts. You can see them, but you can see through them."

-- Pirates of the Caribbean. To me, the Disneyland original was the greatest attraction ever made!! There. I've said it.!

(Haven't ridden Rise of the Resistance yet.)
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - not to go old school on you but EPCOT.

As a kid, I remember picking up Birnbaums guide to Walt Disney World circa 1981-ish where they had an attraction by attraction guide with photos of the soon to be opened in 1982 EPCOT Center. I read that guide cover to cover - and was never more excited to visit something in my life.

I lived the future as a kid. I wanted to be a part of all the exciting changes ahead and finally, there was a place I could go that was targeted exactly at that! A permanent worlds fair looking at the power of human potential.

Then, when I visited in opening year, I was completely and totally blown away.

And later, when Horizons finally opened - it just got better. That ride was the pinnacle of my Disney experience - and it shaped forever how I viewed the world from that moment forward.

I still get chills today watching the video.

Literally, this was one of the last rides ever on Horizons. It was closed the next day and never reopened during regular operation to my knowledge - only a few days here and there to deal with capacity issues.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say, although I haven't yet seen it in person, the new lighted Spaceship Earth looks like it is going to blow me away. The videos that came out on social media last night look amazing!

And what's up with over 300 of you looking at this thread, but not adding to it? Seriously? The other 362 of you weren't blown away by anything at Walt Disney World, ever?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Millennium Celebration music. Wow!
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

First trip down Main Street and Character Breakfast with my daughter in 1989.....Upcoming trip down Main Street and Character Breakfast with my granddaughter in January 2022.

Words can't describe the feelings!
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

8. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I rode Kilimanjaro Safaris and chased down the poachers who had taken Little Red. That ride was amazing - it felt more real than almost any ride I'd done before at a theme park. I was very impressed.

The time my father-in-law dropped his drink and a cast member brought him a new one before he even had a chance to pick up the empty cup off the ground.

The backstage tour at Disney-MGM when it first opened - really educational and lots of cool props and demos.

Post Thanks / Like

SO many things to choose from! Disney repeatedly blows us away. I'll go with the most recent, the new Star Wars land. WOW! We spent most of our day there. We couldn't stop looking at all the details. A life size Millennium Falcon!!
    Susanne

11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TheVBs, so many but standouts include walking into MK for the 1st time, seeing it on tv and pictures for so long as a kid and then adult and dreaming and then being there! Overwhelming in a good way., Also at MVMCP watching Elsa light the castle, I'm not a Frozen fan but I cried, it was so beautiful.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

13. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I saw the Candlelight Processional, and especially when the entire audience stood for the final song (The Hallelujah, I'm pretty sure)

Post Thanks / Like

My first visit during Christmas decorations approximately 1980. Other than that, it was the opening of EPCOT. I was there on 10/1/82.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: