Quantcast Alien Encounters

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I have been to Disney twice and have yet to experience Alien Encounters. I heard that it is really scary and I am not much for being frightened in the dark.

Is it really that scary? Does anyone have any experiences to share about this ride?
    Future Trip
    February 2012 - Coronado Springs Resort

Previous Trips
    January 2009 - CSR
    January 2008 - CBR
    July 2006 - CBR
    January 2005 - CBR
    February 2004 - POR
    January 2001 - CBR
    January 2000 - CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

just went on it 2 days ago its pretty cool not all that scary...you should tryit

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your age. Kids get a little scared and my mother (aged 69) yelped a few times.

Me, it bores me to death.
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on your age. But, you should try it, this is a cool ride, especially the first time.
    January 2002 - Polynesian; May 2002 - Caribbean Beach; December 2002 - Polynesian; May 2003 - Wilderness Lodge; September 2003 - Grand Floridian (Our Disney Wedding!); March 2004 - Polynesian; May 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Jim & Brandie

Post Thanks / Like

The first year I took the kids with me and that was the reason I didn't get on. The second year there I really had no excuse other than what I had heard about how scary it was.

Guess my next trip I will just have to try it out. Just looking for some needed encouragement to get on. Never been on the tower of Terror either. The thought of free falling doesn't do anything for me.
    Future Trip

Previous Trips
    January 2009 - CSR
    January 2008 - CBR
    July 2006 - CBR
    January 2005 - CBR
    February 2004 - POR
    January 2001 - CBR
    January 2000 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

BTW I am not young, actually 28 years old. Just a big chicken when it comes to dark and screamy rides.

Thanks all for the posts! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    Future Trip

Previous Trips
    January 2009 - CSR
    January 2008 - CBR
    July 2006 - CBR
    January 2005 - CBR
    February 2004 - POR
    January 2001 - CBR
    January 2000 - CBR

Disney2002 Guest

Let me add another ZZZzzzz vote for this attraction in terms of fright factor. The haunted mansion will get your heart rate going faster, I promise. It is, however, an interestingly designed ride. It plays with your mind by playing with your senses -- a primary characteristic of Disney imagineering. This "ride" (for it is really more of a show), features some of the most impressive animatronic figures in the park. Unfortunatly, it was designed by... *sigh*... George Lucas. I'm not a fan... but then again... that's just me.

A few words of warning.
    1) Although this attraction doesn't scare me, it is NOT appropriate for you young children. There are enough realistic, scary images in this ride to give children dreams for nights to come.
    2) If you are not a fan of being restrained in small spaces, do not ride this ride. Take this warning seriously. You will be harnessed down in you seat. Panic from this sensation may follow.
    3) Lastly, there is an "effect" that involves your harness being pushed down upon your shoulders. Much like the hornets in "It's Tough to Be a Bug", this can hurt. Sit up nice an tall when they initially lower the restraint... then slouch a bit... this will reduce any discomfort. (This is a conservative warning... very few people seem to be bothered by this... I was, however)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this is more of a show than a ride. In the theater world it would be called "theater of the mind" since there is very little that actually goes on. The storyline is set up and then you're sent into the auditorium. You sit down and they put harnesses over you. Then the show starts and "something goes wrong". The theater is plunged into almost darkness and then special effects and lighting takes over. The setup is that an alien has escaped and is loose in the theater. There are some effects (the one that gives me is the air on the back of your neck) and then the alien disappears, but there is very little real action that goes on.

It's your mind and imagination that creates the ride experience for you. As such, there is a huge variety of reactions from [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img] to [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] to [img]graemlins/sick.gif[/img] to [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] .
    Karen

--------------------------------

Stressed is desserts spelled backwards.

Question everything!

Post Thanks / Like

My only problem with this attraction is the shoulder harness. I do scare very easily, no denying it, but I was thinking about doing it until heard about being held down in my seat, I really don't do well with being confined in a small little space. So, Alien Encounter= [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I think AE is a great attraction, it's chilling, but not overly scary (ok I was so scared the first time I rode it but I was 13!!!) It all depends on the factors that everyone else has mentioned here ! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Disney_nut:
    My only problem with this attraction is the shoulder harness. I do scare very easily, no denying it, but I was thinking about doing it until heard about being held down in my seat, I really don't do well with being confined in a small little space. So, Alien Encounter= [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

the shoulder harness lifts right up w/ little trouble..
    \|||/
    (o o)
    ----ooO-(_)-Ooo----

Post Thanks / Like

OK, please no one think I am a terrible mom! My then eight year old went in with me into AE. I thought she was the fearless kind of person until this. She rode Space Mountain when she had just turned five ( she just made the heighth requirement) and LOVED IT. I prepared her as well as I could for AE( it was brand new, so I didn't know too much). She panicked! She screamed BLOODY MURDER and I could not comfort her because of the harness thing they put us under. I felt so badly for her!! I also felt as if I were the worst mom in the world! I did not feel as AE were that scary. It just scared me to death thinking I had done irrepairable harm to my child! She is OK now by the way. We had to let her ride Space Mountain several times to bring her out of her shock!
    Have a Disney Day!
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Deb [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mktiggerman:

the shoulder harness lifts right up w/ little trouble..
    <hr></blockquote>

Not during the attraction though! I'm kind of claustrophobic, I guess you can say.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips.

I am still undecided whether I will be doing this ride next time. So many mixed reviews!! It is one of those rides that you have to have no line and just jump on. That is how my husband managed to get me on Space Mountain. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    Future Trip

Previous Trips
    January 2009 - CSR
    January 2008 - CBR
    July 2006 - CBR
    January 2005 - CBR
    February 2004 - POR
    January 2001 - CBR
    January 2000 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just came from MK today and we rode AE twice..both times in the front row of seats. The 2nd time we sat next to a family who was riding it for the first time..they had 3 daughters ranging from what seemed to be around 5 years old to bout 15...and they all LOVED it..but i really wouldnt suggest it for young kids under 7 unless they are brave...or for older youngins..say7-15 if they are easily frightened by the dark or loud noises. but it is one of my fav attractoins
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

MickeyTD Guest

Personally i don't understand why this attraction even gets mixed reviews. I think it is one of the greatest attractions that disney has to offer. I guess that is just my opinion though! i love it, and i think that everyone should try it at least once if they are above the age of say...13. I love alien encounter and will ride it several times on every trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We took Ds on this when he was 7. We had NO idea what it was about or what it entailed. We did see the 'warning' but LOL'd because in general Disney is tame compared to the other parks we frequent. Ds was TERRIFIED and cried the entire time which isn't like him at all. Dark isn't his thing but what did him in was the 'scary' noise level, it put him over the edge. I made the mistake of slouching a bit and got stuck in that position and was very uncomfortable. Dh had a GREAT time LOL. Ds was ok once it was over and had made us swear to never make him go on it again LOL.

The next time we did AE minus child, I enjoyed it too. It's definitely not typical 'Disney', not horribly scary for an adult but definitely worth checking out.

Ds is 9 now and 'thinking' about trying AE again. Kids at school have done it and LIKED it so he's thinking maybe he missed something LOL.
    șoș Beth șoș<br />WDW(resort undecided) December,2002<br />Animal Kingdom Lodge April,2002<br />Yacht Club 1/01<br />Polynesian 11/00<br />Disney Wonder 11/00<br />Disneyland Hotel 5/00<br />Disney Pacific 5/00<br />Contemporary 2/00<br />Port Orleans 2/00<p>Taking a break from reality,<br />goin' to see the Mșoșuse!

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents:

I love AE! It is fun, funny, and enjoyably disgusting! 1st time adventures are always the best!

I really want to plug ToT as well---although the thought of freefall might seem uncomfortable, it is a well controlled, well-themed ride!

You should really give both a try!! Both have awesome SPEC-FX !!!!!!!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    "If you can dream it, you CAN do it!" -WED

Post Thanks / Like

I love this one and it scared the heck outa me. You really gotta let your imagination go though. It's all storyline and special effects so if you don't let yourself fall into the story it'll deffinitely be on the boring side.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that its all Mickey Mouse Magic...

LOL [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

ImaginationHost
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    <b> The one, the only, ImaginationHost </b><br />"But please, for your own safety, do not put on your safety goggles, until you are safely seated, safely inside the theater, safely..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: