Quantcast hidden secrets and facts...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know any facts that are not widely known or hidden secrets about WDW. It can be anything that deals with WDW in general. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Thanks.

[ August 06, 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: kariktn ]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada,North America,Northern Hemisphere,Planet Earth,Milky Way
    Post Thanks / Like

Mickey is in fact a bengal tiger... not a mouse!!!! The name is confusing though....

hehe by the way it's a joke [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Max
    ºoº<b>Max</b>ºoº<br /><i>Disney fan since 1985</i><br /><br /><b>1985-2003</b> Many trips filled with magical and wonderful memories...!<br /><b>July 2004</b> : Pop Century<br /><br />** Signature updated upon request by *Liz* **

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by alittle figment of your imagination:
    Mickey is in fact a bengal tiger... not a mouse!!!! The name is confusing though....

hehe by the way it's a joke [img]smile.gif[/img]

Max
    Does that mean Siegfried and Roy can float Mickey across a stage?
    Don't forget to "Salt the Fries"...

Post Thanks / Like

Walt Disney World Fun Facts [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

It's Not a Small World After All . . . Covering 47 square miles, Walt Disney World Resort is about the size of San Francisco or two Manhattan islands. Of the more than 30,000 acres, less than one-fourth has been developed, with another quarter designated as a wilderness preserve.

A Cast of Thousands . . . More than 54,000, to be more precise. That's how many people it takes to create the magic here at the Vacation Kingdom. Not surprisingly, Walt Disney World Resort is the largest single-site employer in the United States.

What the Well-Dressed Mouse Will Be Wearing . . . depends entirely on the occasion. Mickey Mouse himself has 175 different sets of duds ranging from a scuba suit to a tuxedo. Minnie Mouse's wardrobe contains some 200 outfits including everything from a cheerleader ensemble to evening gowns.

Suds 'R Us . . . If you were to wash and dry one load of laundry every day for 44 years, you'd clean as much as the folks at the Walt Disney World Laundry do in a single day. The cast members there launder an average of 240,000 pounds each day. In addition, between 30,000 and 32,000 garments are dry-cleaned daily.

Smile! . . . Kodak estimates that approximately 4 percent of all the amateur photographs taken in the United States are snapped at Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland.

Winter Wonderland . . . So what if there's no snow in Central Florida? Each Christmas season Walt Disney World Resort is "decked" with more than 11 miles of garland, 3,000 wreaths and 1,500 Christmas trees. The tallest is a 70-foot tree in Disney's Contemporary Resort. In addition, trees, which range in height from 45 to 70 feet, are placed in prominent positions in the theme parks.

Who's Still Thirsty? . . . More than 50 million Cokes are consumed each year at Walt Disney World Resort. Guests also gobble 10 million hamburgers, 7 million hot dogs, 9 million pounds of french fries and more than 300,000 pounds of popcorn.

Ears To You . . . There are enough of the famous "Mouse Ear" hats sold each year to cover the head of every man, woman and child in Pittsburgh and enough Disney character T-shirts to put Mickey Mouse's smiling face on the chest of every Chicagoan.

Hickory Dickory Dock . . . More than a half-million character watches -- mainly Mickey -- are slipped onto wrists from Walt Disney World gift shops each year. At any given time, there are more than 200 different varieties of character watches. The most popular timepiece: a gold-tone relief of Mickey Mouse.

Gone But Not Forgotten . . . Walt Disney World Lost and Found is one busy place. Every day an average of 100 pairs of sunglasses are turned in at the Magic Kingdom alone. There have been enough "shades" submitted each year in the Vacation Kingdom to outfit every resident of Sun City, Arizona; Sun City, California; and Sun City, Florida. Since 1971, an estimated 1.5 million pairs of glasses have found their way into the "lost" bin.

Curious Claims . . . According to long-time lost and found staffers, the most unusual items turned in have been a glass eye and a potty trainer. Both, incidentally, were claimed (but not by the same person).

Busman's Holiday . . . More than 230 Walt Disney World buses transport guests around the Vacation Kingdom, making the Walt Disney World fleet the third largest in Florida behind Miami and Jacksonville.

Fly Me To the Moon . . . Since 1971, the total miles logged by Walt Disney World monorail trains would be equal to more than 30 round trips to the moon. One dozen new cars were put into service along the 14-mile beamway in 1990 as the original fleet received a well-deserved retirement.

Tee Time . . . With the addition of the Pete Dye-designed Eagle Pines course and Tom Fazio's Osprey Ridge, Walt Disney World Resort now boasts 99 holes of golf. That makes this one of Florida's largest golf resorts. A real "Magic Link-dom."

Room With a View . . . Disney's Wedding Pavilion was designed to provide the bride and groom a view of the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle while standing at the altar.

THEME PARKS

Boulder Builder . . . Here's one to stump your friends with. How many stones are there in Cinderella Castle in the Magic Kingdom? NONE. The whole shell of the building is fiberglass.

A Mountain Range? . . . Walt Disney World is home to Florida's two highest "mountains." In the Magic Kingdom, Big Thunder Mountain rises 197 feet above Frontierland. Space Mountain in Tomorrowland is 180 feet tall.

Salad Shooter . . . If you're enjoying fresh vegetables at the Garden Grill, Sunshine Season Food Fair or Coral Reef restaurants at Epcot, chances are they were grown right in the theme park. Last year more than 30 tons of fruits and veggies were harvested from The Land pavilion's greenhouses.

Spaced Out . . . Spaceship Earth, the visual and thematic centerpiece of Epcot, weighs 16 million pounds -- more than three times that of a Space Shuttle fully fueled and ready for launch. The outer "skin" of Spaceship Earth is made up of 11,324 aluminum and plastic-alloy triangles. Also, did you know that rainwater never falls off the sphere? It's absorbed into the ball and funneled away.

Water, Water Everywhere . . . If you emptied the water from The Living Seas in Epcot into one-gallon milk jugs and laid them side by side they would stretch from here to New Orleans, Knoxville or Raleigh -- 540 miles. And the recipe for the artificial sea water called for 27 truckloads of sodium chloride or common table salt.

6-Million-Mile Man . . . The DNA Tower at the entrance to Epcot Wonders of Life pavilion is 5.5 billion times actual size -- just the right size for a human 6 million miles tall.

Ready Aim . . . The fountain at Epcot Innoventions Plaza can shoot water 150 feet in the air -- within 30 feet of the top of Spaceship Earth. If all of the shooters were fired at once, there would be 2,000 gallons of water in the air.

IllumiNations . . . More than 26,000 feet of lights outline the Epcot World Showcase pavilions -- a string long enough to stretch across the Golden Gate Bridge more than six times.

One Tall Ball . . . Spaceship Earth at Epcot is the tallest attraction at Walt Disney World Resort. The giant Sorcerer Mickey hand and wand make the attraction approximately 240 feet at its highest point. It tops The Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror at the Disney-MGM Studios (199 feet), the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle (185 feet) and The Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom (145 feet).

What Big Ears You Have . . . The Earffel Tower, Disney-MGM Studios' water tower landmark, would wear a hat size of 342 3/4.

Biggest Ever . . . Disney's Animal Kingdom encompasses 500 acres, the company's biggest theme park. The centerpiece is The Tree of Life, 14 stories high and 50 feet wide at its trunk.

RESORTS

Big Gulp . . . It would take more than 20 million 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola to fill one of the humongous Coke cups at the Home-Run Hotel in Disney's All-Star Sports Resort.

Tennis Anyone? . . . It would take nearly 9.5 million tennis balls to fill one of the tennis ball cans at Center Court Hotel in Disney's All-Star Sports Resort. That's enough to stretch from Walt Disney World Resort to Key West.

World's Largest . . . Stormalong Bay, Disney's Beach Club Resort swimming area, holds 750,000 gallons of water, making it the largest sand-bottom pool in the world.

Five-Legged Goat . . . The mosaic mural in the fourth-floor lobby of Disney's Contemporary Resort was created in 1971 with 1,800 one-square-foot tiles and took 18 months to construct. Look closely: there's a five-legged goat facing the monorail track.

Music To Your Eyes . . . The musical staff notes across the registration desk at Disney's Port Orleans Resort-French Quarter spell out the first verse of "When the Saints Go Marching In."

Room Roulette . . . If you wanted to stay in all the guestrooms in all of the hotels and resorts currently open on Walt Disney World property (at a rate of one per night) it would take more than 72 years.

HORTICULTURE

50,000 Sprinkler Heads . . . and 2,000 miles of irrigation pipe are needed to water more than 3,500 acres of landscaping at Walt Disney World Resort. Since 1971, more than 100,000 trees and 2 million tended shrubs have been planted.

Well Grounded . . . Each year a horticulture staff of more than 600 plants 3 million bedding plants and annuals, and maintains millions of other plants including more than 2 million shrubs, 13,000 roses and 200 or so topiary.

A "Family" Tree . . . The "Liberty Oak," which is the focal point of the Liberty Square area in the Magic Kingdom, is the proud parent of more than 500 young trees. They all started out as acorns harvested from the majestic oak.

Pack the Trunk . . . Earth Day 1991 signaled a "moving" experience for yet another impressive oak -- a 55-foot-tall tree weighing in at nearly 85 tons. The live oak was moved 12 miles across Walt Disney World property. It is doing well in its new "digs" serving as a centerpiece for the Ol' Man Island recreation area at Disney's Port Orleans Resort-Riverside.

Mow Miles Per Year . . . 450,000 mowing miles to be exact -- that's what it takes to maintain 2,000 acres of turf. For the record, those mower miles are the equivalent of 18 trips around the earth at the equator.

Here's Looking (Down) At You . . . From the air, Walt Disney World Resort boasts a number of "heady" sights. For instance, the unique "Mouse Trap" on the 6th hole at the Magnolia Golf Course that looks like a famous corporate symbol. Over at the Bonnet Creek Golf Club, Mickey's profile greets golfers on the large practice green. The famous mouse is the model for the courtyard and area in front of the Chinese Theater at the Disney-MGM Studios.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

wow...what a great post!!!

I just wanted to add that i was a book store the other day and there is a new book just on Hidden Mickeys. I didn't get a chance to read too much....but it looks like it give you clues as to where to look....and then you can choose to read about the mickey.
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

(I should always proof read my posts)

wow...what a great post!!!

I just wanted to add that I was in a book store the other day and there is a new book just on Hidden Mickeys. I didn't get a chance to read too much....but it looks like it give you clues as to where to look....and then you can choose to read about the mickey.
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Wow,Carol~! Thanks for that posting reply,I didn't know HALF those facts [img]smile.gif[/img] Makes for a good reading [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    MousePassion<br /><br />"A dream is a wish the heart makes"<br /><br /><br />Veteran of at least 24 trips to WDW;trips during 2003: January @POR and AKL,concierge and<br />October 6-10 2003@Old Key West<br />Now we're nextdoor neighbors to the Mouse himself~!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by drosenbe:
    (I should always proof read my posts)

In the "Did Ya Know" category.....If you need to change a post just click on the Edit/Delete Post button next to the " " quotes thingy of your message and you can edit the original message without posting another one. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sometimes, when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things,you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    [b] Walt Disney World Fun Facts
    Water, Water Everywhere . . . If you emptied the water from The Living Seas in Epcot into one-gallon milk jugs and laid them side by side they would stretch from here to New Orleans, Knoxville or Raleigh -- 540 miles. And the recipe for the artificial sea water called for 27 truckloads of sodium chloride or common table salt.
    Also, Spaceship Earth would fit 'inside' the Living Seas tank, although it would still have the top part sticking out. Found that out on my recent Dive Quest Tour.
    Sometimes, when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things,you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, that was so much fun! Everyone gathered around the computer as I read it! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    94' All-Star Sports
    96' Dixie Landings
    00' Coronado Springs
    02' All-Star Movies
    03' Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
    04' Beach Club
    05' DCP
    05'-08' CM
    11' All Star Movies
    16' Animal Kingdom Lodge
    18' Hilton Head Island Resort
    19' Boardwalk (our toddler twins' first visit)

Montreal,Quebec,Canada,North America,Northern Hemisphere,Planet Earth,Milky Way
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one heck of a good bus drive on my last trip and he told us about a good part of what Poly said... those are really interesting facts [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    thanks Poly for reminding me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Max

( he even added how much buses are on property, there are 144 bus trajects that the bus drivers must know by heart for they may be called at any time to perform anyone of them, he also told us how much laundry residue came out of a day in WDW )
    ºoº<b>Max</b>ºoº<br /><i>Disney fan since 1985</i><br /><br /><b>1985-2003</b> Many trips filled with magical and wonderful memories...!<br /><b>July 2004</b> : Pop Century<br /><br />** Signature updated upon request by *Liz* **

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Awesome post! I learned a lot and I just ordered that Hidden Mickey's book so next time I head to Disney, I will be on the lookout. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!

Post Thanks / Like

And, if I'm not mistaken, all of Tomorrowland's groundspace can fit in the Land pavilion. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]
    "EPCOT isn't just an anything; it's everything and more!"

Post Thanks / Like

Gee Carol, is that ALL you've got?? [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] Great post!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Future World West:
    And, if I'm not mistaken, all of Tomorrowland's groundspace can fit in the Land pavilion. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]
    And...all of DisneyLAND can fit into the parking lot of MK.

Post Thanks / Like

hey
    good post!!!!
    does anyone know a website where i can get that book. i have a website that has most of them but i really want the book. i dont know the website by hart but i am gonna look for it again and when i find it ill tell you guys.
    thanks(i need the wwebsite for the book!!!!!!!!) [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tiki.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mike.gif[/img]
    3 DAYS TILL DISNEY!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DisneyKim22:
    Gee Carol, is that ALL you've got?? [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] Great post!
    Ummmmm ... No. I can break it down into individual Park facts. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: