Quantcast Feeding Babies at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

For all those who have traveled to WDW with infants, do you think it would be easier to breastfeed or bottle feeed while on vacation? Emily will b about 7 1/2 months when we go. I figured I would stop nursing somewhere around that time. I was wondering if I should switch to formula before or after our trip. I can see both pros an cons such as if nursing, I will no have to lug all that formula and bottles with me. If bottle feeding I wouldn't necessarily have to run to the baby station to feed her. What are your experiences?
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

BREAST FEED her.

Nothing is nastier than sour formula.
    You don't want to mess with worrying if it is still "good".
    You don't want to deal with refrigeration issues.
    You don't want to lug all that stuff around.
    You don't want to try to wash bottles, nipples, etc. in the hotel sink.

By the time she is 7 months old, you will be a total pro at breast feeding. You will know how to do is discreetly, and you should be over most of your embarrassment. (I fed my kids whenever and wherever they needed it. No one ever said anything nasty to me, and that was 10 to 15 years ago.)

You will also discover that there are many ways to nurse "privately, in public". An out of the way bench is always good. A table at a restaurant in a corner, with you facing the wall is good. Fathers are useful for providing "cover" -- i.e., they can stand or sit between you and other people.

Look around WDW and you will find lots of good places to catch some quiet time with your baby.
    My son is a Henry. I never had a Willie or a Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue last year, as my daughter was turning 6 months while at WDW. I had planned on breastfeeding her at least 6 months, so to stop at this time was a decision I was already ok with as far as timing goes.

I decided to start weaning her about a month before our vacation. I also saw pros to nursing, but in the end decided I would rather bottle feed while on vacation. Since my mother came along, it gave her the opportunity to help with the feedings (as well as my husband) so it wasn't all on me. And like you said, travel to the baby center when she did want to eat, although I am sure you could find places to do so somewhat privately throughout the parks if you choose to continue breastfeeding.

What I did was take small bottles of water to the parks which I opened when I was ready to mix a bottle. I used the packets (tubes) of powdered formula which were easy to pack & less messy than trying to take formula from a larger can & put it into something smaller. More expensive, but worth it. Then I just had clean empty bottles that I would use each time. We stayed offsite most of this trip, which included a kitchette for easy washing of the bottles.

Also, when we drove down, I used the small 8 oz. cans of ready made formula in the car. That way I didn't have to do any "mixing" while moving. They would also work in the park, if they didn't get too hot.

Good luck & enjoy your trip.

[ May 21, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Disney Diamond ]
    Up Next... Swan & AKV ¨¨*:• 7/13

BC 7/12, 12/11, 7/11
    AS-Sports 7/12
    BC Villas 7/10, 7/09, 8/08
    WL 7/07, 8/06
    Poly & GF 10/05
    POR 05/05, 1/05, 9/03, 9/02
    POFQ 4/09, 1/06, 5/04
    Pop 11/08, 11/07
    CBR 2/03
    AS-Music 12/11, 10/01
    Contemporary 1/98

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt, breastfeed. For one, you don't want to wean her right around travel time. Too much disturbance already.

It's also SO much easier. Like TTA said, no bottles, no refrigeration, etc. And what about trying to wash the bottles properly? No thanks! (One of the main reasons I breastfeed is out of sheer laziness ) She should also be on some solids by then, so you won't be doing all the feedings yourself.

Also, I would NOT go run and hide if she needs to eat. You should be able to find a comfy seat on a bench or in a restaurant. Just wear a shirt that pulls up easily and no one will be the wiser. Just looks like you're holding a sleeping baby. Of course, you *might* need a blankie or something for when you get started.

I'm currently nursing my 3rd right now. I was inhibitted for a bit when I had #1. I finally decided to heck with it-- baby has a right to eat! I don't just "whip it out" and flash the world; I'm discreet. But I can't think of anywhere that I wouldn't breastfeed. Point is, it gets easier as you go along. Make some practice runs if you're not comfortable nursing in front of people. Have someone else critique you at home (dh, mom, etc). Then try the park or the mall (on a weekday when it's mostly moms there anyway).

Good luck!
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

No advice on your question. However, while my youngest is nine years old now, and we had him in Disney when he was 6 months and on formula. I'm responding because if you didn't already know, there's a baby care center in each of the parks which you might want to take advantage of. They have rooms for diaper changing, extra supplies if you run short etc... However, the best part is that most of them have a quiet room with comfortable chairs where mommy or daddy can sit with the baby and share a nap. Great place to just chill out for a while.
    "Work is something I do in between trips to Disney World"
    "Please stand clear of the doors"

Offsite Nov 1986 - Offsite Jan 1989 - Will never use a travel agent again.
    Caribbean Beach Sep 1994 - Caribbean Beach Sep 1996
    Contemporary May 2000 - Dolphin May 2000
    Wilderness Lodge Aug 2001 - Riverside Oct 2002
    Coronado Jul 2003
    SEE YOU REAL SOON!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely vote for breastfeeding. I bottle fed my first 2 and traveled. What a pain.. I used to have to bring my own Dawn and a kitchen sponge. I would wash and dry all the bottles and nipples on a towel in the hotel room. Breastfeeding is sooo much easier.. no worry, no extra things to carry... My 3rd baby is now 12 months and is beginning to wean. At least now I can make the gradual switch to whole milk without bothering with formula, although I guess when I go to Disney in July I will still be having to wash the sippy cups every night. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

[ May 21, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: holbear ]

Post Thanks / Like

I would breastfeed. As you pointed out you won't have to lug formula around. As another member pointed out, you won't have to deal with the formula possibly souring.
    Chances are her schedule is going to be disrupted anyway. I think if you were to try and wean her at the same time it could be catastrophic and you wouldn't enjoy your vacation.
    Another member recently made a trip to WDW and she was breastfeeding her baby. You may want to Private Message her and ask her what her experiences were. Her SN is michael and mommy love disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, obviously this is a very personal choice. I chose to bottle feed Max. I actually find it very convenient. I don't pre-mix the formula when going out. I use the Playtex bottles with the drop-in inserts. I carry a supply of extra inserts in the diaper bag. I went to Michael's Crafts and bought these little plastic containers that resemble the ones that rolls of film come in. They just fit two scoops of formula. I bought a bunch of them and fill them up so that it's premeasured. Then, I fill up two bottles with water so that I always have a spare. I can mix it up in the blink of an eye. Max holds his own bottle now, so I can just hand it to him in the stroller and I don't even have to stop.

I also bought a small squeeze bottle and filled it with dish soap. That way, I can wash the nipples in the restroom, pop in a fresh insert and fill it with water, and I'm ready for the next feeding. It's great and never an inconvenience [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that breastfeeding is the way to go [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I breastfed my daughter for 2 years and I was a total pro by the time I finally weaned her. There are excellent Baby Care centers if you do decide to bottle feed her. I loved breastfeeding for many reasons which include a) it meant nothing to lug around b)always the right temperature c) no clean up and no carrying around empty bottles!!

[ May 21, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: ChesireLisa ]
    “Do all the good you can,
    By all the means you can,
    In all the ways you can,
    In all the places you can,
    At all the times you can,
    To all the people you can,
    As long as ever you can.”
    -John Wesley

Post Thanks / Like

If you are already breastfeeding, and everything is going well, vacation seems like a silly reason to stop (at least to me). Of course, everyone has different opinions on what is most important. It *is* possible to vacation, or go anywhere really, and breastfeed a baby.

There are any number of ways to breastfeed a baby in public. Last summer when we were at MK, we saw many mothers breastfeeding on benches, and one even while in a ride line. If you didn't know what a breastfeeding mom and baby looked like, you probably could not even tell what was happening. We thought it was wonderful. Ultimately, of course, it is all up to you, but if you really want to breastfeed there is nothing about a vacation at WDW that means you must stop completely.

Post Thanks / Like

When we went for the first time with Michael he just started solids. He did NOT like formula. But when he started solids he started to like different tastes. I found it convient to nurse and bottle feed. I brought those cans of formula that you just open the can it is already mixed. (kind of expensive about $10.00 for 6 cans) I did go in December so it was not as hot as August so those might not work out for you. I nursed him only at the baby centers. All the other times we would give him his jared food and bottle of formula in a shady area.

With Samantha I only nursed her. She will NOT take formula for the life of her. She SCREAMS and fidgets. Most of the time I nursed her in the baby stations. Sometimes I nursed on attractions. (ex: dark 3D shows, TTA) I nursed her at Donald's once but it was all the way in the back. It was a late lunch time and the place was empty. I did have to hide in a bathroom stall once [img]graemlins/sick.gif[/img] at Ohana's.

You might want to consider doing both. You could take those powdered packets of formula with you. So this way you don't have to hide in a stall like me. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I found it easier with Michael since he would eat jared food, formula and nursed. But overall I did enjoy the times that my sister in law took Michael while I went to nurse Sam. It gave me a nice break in a a/c room. I must admit I fell alseep while I nursed her a few times. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Also I would reccommend the playtex nurses to use if you bottle feed. I used those and only had to worry about really cleaning the nipple once we got to our room. (unless Emily likes a certain bottle)

[ May 22, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: michael and mommy love disney ]
    Nov./Dec. 1993 Off Site
    July 1995 Off Site
    August 1997 POR - Honeymoon
    Feb. 1999 AS Music
    Nov./Dec. 2000 ASMo - DS 1st Trip
    May 2002 ASMo
    Oct. 2002 AKL
    April 2003 ASSp - DD 1st Trip
    Feb. 2004 AKL
    Dec. 2004

Next up: Hopefully Michael's 5th Birthday with Mickey in July/August!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are breasfeeding in full keep doing it in your trip. Breastfeeding is a kind of relax for the baby in situations like in the airplane in some attractions etc. When the baby get tired or angry breastfeeding him will relax him and will relax YOU.
    In WAL-MART they sell a small a container with 3 division for you to pre-measure the powder formula in advance. So you put bottled water in the bottle and close it with the nipple and cap. When the baby is ready you lift the small "lash" of the container it goes directly to the bottle, no mess. Good luck and be confident.

Post Thanks / Like

Between my 4 kids I've probably nursed in every show and on every dark ride bench in the place and never had one problem. Not all my babies would take bottles, but with the ones who did we've also carried bottled water and powdered formula and had no problem with that either. I would say do what is most comfortable to you and your baby and if you plan ahead you will be fine with either option or alternating between both depending on the circumstances.

If you decide to nurse, there is a nursing drape made by Lansinoh that you can get at Babies R Us or probably any other baby store. It's just the right size and loosly woven so it's not bulky or hot and it has a nice little soft weight at the corner so it stays put on your shoulder. Also, Motherhood Maternity makes fabulous tops with hidden openings so you can nurse without having to pull your shirt up and nobody can tell what you are doing unless they are looking way too close. If your baby will leave it on a big floppy hat helps with privacy too. I've heard from others that nursing with baby in a sling works great also, but my babies never liked them, so I can't speak personally on that one.

If you decide to bottle feed, the little single serve formula packets are great, they cost more, but you don't have to mess with measuring. We carried them last time because my 10 month old was to the point where he wasn't too crazy about having his face covered while he nursed, so privacy in public was impossible, so I only nursed him when I could find a corner or a quiet bench where I could turn my back to where the people were. We just carried empty bottles with the nipple and cap on, bottled water, and formula packets and didn't have any problem. Be sure to rinse the bottle as soon as it's gone though or you will have nasty dried formula to clean out when you get back to the room!

Whatever you choose, you are going to have a fantastic time, the look in a baby's eyes at WDW is priceless!

[img]smile.gif[/img] Laura
    AKA Mamacita in the VMK
    Past trips:
    WDWx7 (CBRx2, ASMx2, POR, Poly, FW)
    DLx7
    Next up, who knows!
    No time for goofin off, I got dawdlin to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I nurse now, and nursed last time we went to Disney, and had no problem. I did it on park benches, dark rides, resteraunts, once even sitting on the ground under a shade tree waiting for my family to get off a ride. I am discreet, nothing shows, and if people have a problem looking at me with a blanket draped over me, that is there prob, not mine. Honestly, as someone else said, most inexperienced people can't tell what you're doing, and the ones who are experienced understand. But in the end, do what you feel is more comfortable for YOU.
    Disneyland, 1990<br />April 7-13, 2002 <i>All Star Movies, Love Bug Section</i><br />November 26-December 1, 2003 <i>Doubletree Suites/All Star Sports</i><br />Disneyland Paris, 2005

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

If you're going to use formula...like we did...we used the powder...packaged up a few premade bottles with it and brought a can along. We just used some warm water from the sinks to mix it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by nel:
    In WAL-MART they sell a small a container with 3 division for you to pre-measure the powder formula in advance. So you put bottled water in the bottle and close it with the nipple and cap. When the baby is ready you lift the small "lash" of the container it goes directly to the bottle, no mess. Good luck and be confident. [/QB]
    I just have to say that I bought one of these and the cover to the spout part WILL NOT stay closed ! I ended up having to clean everything out of my diper bag and clean all the formula powder out of it ! I still use it but I only use two sections and leave the spout part over the empty section. Just wanted to warn anyone who buys this..it was the Parent's Choice brand .
    Hºoº lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much aabout breastfeeding, as I only bottle fed all 3 of my kids. But, if I were you I wouldn't change anything right before or during my vacation. I would do what my baby is comfortable with. If she doesn't adjust well to the bottle that can ruin your vacation. After months of planning & saving I wouldn't take any chances with a change.

Post Thanks / Like

The last two times we were in Disney, I had infants who were breastfeeding and starting to eat solids. It was easiest to keep breastfeeding (thank God for the longer shows like American Adventure!) so that our backpack/diaper bag was the lightest that it could be. We didn't take a stroller (just did the baby backpack), so any extra weight from bottles would've seemed extremely heavy by dinner time! Also, it made it easy when the baby was fussy- no running out of formula! And both babies did seem fussy- their schedules were totally thrown off. Once, I nursed twice in an hour and a half. It made for a different experience, but I think that nursing made it easier. Also, for our first baby, I took along 2 bottles of juice a day (to keep him happy in case I was in a position where I couldn't nurse), which was a huge mistake. Not only did I have to clean them every night, but the juice (along with too many french fries!) caused him to have diarreah the entire trip. For that reason, my second child doesn't get juice very often on trips! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    Dawn, AKA Grumpy's daughter (yes, that's what we call my Dad!)Been there, Done that, Want to go back NOW!!!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: