Quantcast WDW with a mentally handicpped child

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I thought about putting tihs under Trip Reports, but then I thought someone planning a trip might want to hear this.

We waited until this year to take my youngest son,8, to WDW. He is nonverbal, incontinent,autistic, doenst walk well, and functions on a 1yr old level. Frankly, I thought it would just be tooo hard on us all. We left him behind last year so we could take a real vacation, the first ever. But I just could'nt leave him behind this time--he is so sweet and hardly ever demands anything. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I want you to know if you have a family member with a disability that WDW is an AMAZING place to take your family. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] CMs everywhere bent over backward to accomodate us. We stayed in our camper so as to give Christian a familiar space. The camp ground was perfect for us, allowing him space and freedom in a non-crowded, safe environment. Every restaurant we went to had something for Christian(he is not very flexible in his feeding). I just could not get over our much care went into making his trip fun, [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] from the bus drivers who had to tie down his wheelchair EVERY time to the WL waiter who brought him free mashed potatoes to Cinderella, who recognized that he wanted to interact with her but he just couldn't quite bring himself to make eye contact(he kept staring out of the corner of his eye.) [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    In fact, we also took my 70yr old mother(her first trip) and she was so impressed that she is now planning the next trip to WDW--to the Poly!!
    [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    Yesh!!

Cathy
    100% completely obsessed with WDW--I may need to be committed!<br /><br />"...M-I-C...see ya real soon...K-E-Y...why? because we LOVE you...M-O-U-S-E"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing your experience...I guess that's what makes WDW the most magical place on earth! I can't imagine the employees at other theme parks I have been to interacting one-on-one with families like that!

Sounds like it was a great experience for you! I'm sure Christian had a wonderful time!! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    1990 - Shades of Green w/ mom, dad, sister and Grammy
    1994 - CBR w/ mom, dad, and sister
    1998 - Pleasure Island w/ sorority sisters
    2004 - CBR
    2010 - One day at MK with my new husband
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

It is so nice to hear that story. I've always heard about Disney going the extra mile when its most important and I'm glad to see that they did. In fact, one of the most special things I heard about one time is when they open the park one evening or something for children who are disfigured and their families... that way no one stares at them and they are just like all the other kids.
    There is something to be said about that Disney touch and magic [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Many, many trips (30+) since 1978 when I was three... oh what they started!!
    Upcoming: WL 12/10
    10/08 DCL & Pop Century
    8/08- Disney Panama Canal EB Cruise
    9/07, 9/06-Pop Century
    3/05: Disney Wedding!! GF Concierge (5 days) and POR (3 days)
    3/05: 7 Day Disney Cruise (eastern)
    5/03: AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad your entire family was able to enjoy the Disney magic together! Thanks for sharing.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thank you so much for posting your story. It's so nice to hear when things go right. I'm glad you all had such a wonderful time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for posting. I'm sure many people will benifet from your experience.

Glad you all had a wonderful time! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Eddy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you decided to take Christian along. I have an 8 year old son who has Down syndrome. We are making our first trip to the World in October. One of Austin's favorite things, no I should say his most favorite thing is Disney Movies, he has them all memorized. His second favorite thing is GRANDMA and she is going with us on the trip. He is going to love every minute of it. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

Post Thanks / Like

It is ironic that I saw your post. For five years I swore I would never go back to Disney because of the insensitivity shown to a friend's mentally handicapped daughter when there in 1998. Well, last week I was there for a business trip and broke down and bought a hopper pass and now I am seriously thinking of taking my niece and nephews sometime in the next year. Seeing your post gives me hope that all the complaining I did 5 years ago paid off and that I won't regret ending my boycott. I'm glad to know Disney has improved and maybe they did take my suggestion of sending their cast members to sensistivity training. So I discovered Intercot and will be popping in to start planning a trip. Now I just need to convince the parents to let me take them out of school.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother-in-law is 40 years old and functions on the level of an eight-year-old.

He's been to Disney World a number of times, including a trip with me in May of 2001, and he loves it.

We never had any trouble with Cast Members or anyone else ... In fact, I hardly noticed he was challenged he had such fun!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for telling your story here! It was terrific - sounds like Christian and your whole family had a wonderful memorymaking experience! I'm so glad for you all!

Sue

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Your story really touched me! What an amazing time you had, and I am so glad that Christian got to experience the Magic of Disney! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hi, Cathy!

That is great! I'm glad your trip was so enjoyable! You sure did deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Cathy: Excellent to hear you and your son and the rest of your family had such a great time. I'm happy WDW made it a special vacation for all. Honestly, it sounds like you're being modest too. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I bet a lot of that good time came from the energy, planning and patience you and your family put into making it a special vacation for yourselves and your son. I hope you continue to have many more magical vacations at WDW. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: