Quantcast WDW for a 50yr old first timer?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother wishes to go to WDW for her 50th birthday in 2006 and I was wondering what everyone else would do in my situation. What would you do, where and when? I'm just looking for some good ideas for when we go.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you get the 2005 Disney DVD and watch it together. Read posts here on Intercot together. Get a guidebook and look at it together. I guess what I'm saying is get her to learn a little bit about Disney World and ask her what looks good to her and go from there.

As for when to go... the Fall, especially September, is a really nice time. The weather is good (bit more chance of rain though) and the parks less crowded. It's also value season at the resorts.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

[img]smile.gif[/img] We have been in Sept. and Oct. both are good months. I will agree to have your mom be acquainted with Disney with the books and tapes/cd's now available. Depends on how active she is and wants to be. She will enjoy it I am sure. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Ft.Wilderness:84,86,96,98,2000
    Disney Magic Cruise: 01, 05, 07
    Wilderness Villas 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07,08
    Old Key West 2002
    Wilderness Lodge Flag Family, Sept.,2003/March/06/july/07
    Board Walk Preferred View Feb.2005
    DVCMember/Disney StockHolder/AP Holder
    Saratoga Springs: Nov.06

Post Thanks / Like

Sept and Oct. are both good, however the park is a little bit more crowded in Oct. (not like the summer however) because of Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party. I suggest you go to this if you go in October, it's fun and cute to see the kids dressed up in costumes. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    ~**Angela**~

"Duck Tape is like the force! It's got a light and dark side and it binds the Universe together!"

WDW Cast Member since 5/03

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

International Food and Wine Festival might be something nice to catch at Epcot, can be crowded but I think it is one of the cooler, more adult oriented seasonal items at Disney world. This also falls into the fall time range, although I don't remember what the dates are off hand, they are floating around here somewhere at InterCOT.

Other than that I would think it would be up to the persons tastes, my parents are now in the age frame, and they still love to do everything basically everything at WDW.

Everyone is a kid at WDW [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

[ January 30, 2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Figment! ]
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think that for a first-timer, it would be a good idea to get Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World. It's an informative and nicely done guidebook that has lots of pictures and describes all the attractions. We've gotten one each year for the past 10 years or so. Will be going down for the 33rd time next week! But I envy your Mom - the first time is always super special if you've planned well.
    "Man has a dream, and that's a start; he follows his dream with mind and heart, and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me." Thanks for seeing your dream through to reality, Walt!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, my mother has read thru the birhnamn's book and saw last years vacation video. I'd love anymore info I can get

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you were more specific as to what you were looking for, it would be easier to help.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I just took my mother for her first trip ever last year (of course she's 63). We went in May, and she loved the flowers at Epcot, she loved spending Mother's Day with us, and she loved the peaceful and beautiful WL. Actually she loved everything. I found that every little thing was amazing to her because she had never been there, so it's not hard to make sure they have a fabulous time!

June 2002 - CBR
    May 2003 - POR
    May 2004 - WL
    June 2005 - WL
    June 2006 - SOG
    Sept 2006 - WL (10th anniversary)
    March 2007 - CS
    June 2009 - CBR
    March 2010 - WL
    Sept 2011 - BC (15th anniversary)
    November 2012 - BC
    Upcoming - June 2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like she is educating herself for the trip. You know your mother best - would she like the 'commando' attack or would she like to stop and smell the flowers, marvel at the eye candy? Hop on the monorail and tour the different resorts? Options are endless for a first timer. I was thinking about Keys to the Kingom Tour at MK but I wouldn't have like that my first trip but maybe there is another Park Tour for a first timer.
    Have fun planning!

[ January 31, 2005, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should take your mom on her birthday....we had a great time taking my mom for her 50th birthday, hers was in december so we got to check out the christmas decorations and mom loved the behind the seeds tour and you can also get boat rental packages with cakes and stuff, like a pontoon boat...this was my dad's plan so he knows more about it. we had planned on doing that but it rained.

Granted this was my mom's 50 or 60 trip to WDW but the magic is always there.
    -Chris R.

"We now face the danger, which in the past has been the most destructive to the humans: Success, plenty, comfort and ever-increasing leisure. No dynamic people has ever survived these dangers." --John Steinbeck

Post Thanks / Like

My mom's favorate things:
    Exploring all the deluxe resorts.
    Visiting the Wedding Pavillion.
    Riding the train around MK.
    Shopping and eating through the World Showcase.
    The streetmosphere at MGM and the Chinese acrobats in Epcot.
    Fireworks.

Just depends on what she's into.
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

Moving over to Vacation Planning Forum.

Hang on !!

Thanks for posting.
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

From one 50 year old to another, ask Mom, What took ya so long!
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Give me a break! I'm 50+ and am planning my first trip to WDW in May. We'll be taking our 8 year old son, and we're really looking forward to it. Being over 50 is not the equivalent of being dead!! I have more stamina than my 26 year-old daughter!!

Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss something?
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

As a fifty-something myself I would caution not to assume that it's a magic number that means only the slow-paced attractions. I'm leader of the pack to get in line for Tower of Terror and Spash Mountain and ride them over and over, and love Test Track as well. Something I would suggest is to hit the parks at night when the mood in the parks becomes romantic and serene. Also, she'd probably find it fun to visit the various World Showcase restaurants and pick favorites for priority seating (keeping in mind the meals are less expensive for lunch which extends to late in the afternnon, for the same quality meals.) Have a wonderful time.
    Forever let us hold our banners high
    Trips:
    78, 85 - Holiday Inn Main Gate
    86 - Days Inn International Drive
    87, 88 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00 - Fort Wilderness Homes
    Dec 02 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    2009-2010 Disneyland, Paradise Pier and Candy Cane Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I sounded defensive. I simply meant that age should not be considered a deterent to enjoying all that WDW has to offer. I've always enjoyed thrill rides, and my biggest concern is that my 8 year-old will be to fearful to ride with me! The Birnbaum book is excellent, and I agree that both mom and daughter/son should plan ahead to insure that both enjoy the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are into the pool and waterparks, I think February and early March are great times to go (excluding President's week and Spring Break) - - you really appreciate the warm weather if you are coming from a colder climate, and it doesn't usually get too hot, making afternoons in the parks much more pleasant. The only downside is somewhat shorter nightime hours in the parks (and an occasional cold night), but having the new Extra Magic Hours at night will probably make up for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!
    I think my mom will be having us doing WDW commando style. She is really looking forward to riding all the rides so it looks like it will be a whorlwind of rides. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    I'll try some of your ideas to slow her down. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: