Quantcast ME vs Car Service

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

For those of you who have been taking ME, I'm curious as to your experience(s). Do you recommend this service?
    My family got back yesterday - we were there for a very quick weekend, and time was of the essence, so we opted for a towncar service.
    Although our trip went very smoothly, both drivers (different drivers for there and back) told us that ME is killing them! They said that ME is absolutely destroying the taxi/car service business down there.
    So, that being said, how is this ME service? We were too afraid to use ME with time being so limited for us.
    With another trip coming up in August, we're interested in your experiences. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No experience, but the added value of a limo is worth the expense to me. My time is too valuable to be waiting around for/on a bus.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it... you won't wait for a bus, but you'll wait for your luggage? I bet you they're about the same time.

BTW, ME was PERFECT for us. I timed it. From when we walked off the gateway from the plane to when we checked in at WL... 50 minutes! We probably got lucky in that the bus pulled off about 5 minutes after we got on, but I don't see how you can beat that.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SamG:
    I don't get it... you won't wait for a bus, but you'll wait for your luggage? I bet you they're about the same time.
    Question re ME - when was your luggage brought to your room?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'll wait for my luggage, then find the nice gentleman waiting with my name on a card. He'll put my luggage into his car, then open the door for us while we get in. He'll then quickly wisk us away DIRECTLY to our resort, no detours to other resorts. THe whole time he'll be providing us with great conversation welcoming us to Florida.

Then on the way back, he'll pick us up WHEN WE TELL HIM and bring us directly back to the airport. Again more pleasant conversation. Right to our terminal and we'll be off for home. We won't have to stop at any other resorts or sit next to some smelly people from who knows where.

Plus, I'll have my luggage AT check-in, so I don't have to pack a huge carryone with a change of clothing because I don't know when my luggage will arrive other than within a few hours.

Our next trip we land around 10:30 and we'll be in a park around noon, not sure if you can say that about ME. It may be possible, but I wouldn't make any PS for then.

[ June 20, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: DizneyRox ]

Post Thanks / Like

And a car service will provide a grocery stop. ME does not.
    Nov. '98, DxL
    Nov. '00 DxL
    Nov. '01, ASMo
    Nov. '02, WL
    Dec. '03 PO-R
    Sept. '04, SSR; Nov. '04, OKW
    Aug. '05, SSR; Nov. '05, SSR
    Aug. 06, SSR; Nov. '06, OKW
    June '07, VWL; Nov. '07, SSR
    Aug. '08, AKV; Oct. '08, SSR
    June '09, OKW & AKV; Oct. '09 SSR
    Aug '10, SSR & AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see... luggage was in our rooms within 3 hours of getting off the plane. Don't know exactly when because we weren't waiting in our rooms for it.

We had conversation on buses to and from Disney, and a movie to get us in the mood enroute to the resort.

I'm curious... how far ahead of flight time do you arrange for the car service to pick you up at the resort?

So what do you do if the AIRLINE loses your luggage? You don't have a carryon? Why you need a huge (your word, not mine) carryon for one day/night of clothes is beyond me.

Even without ME, landing at 10:30, I wouldn't make PS's at noon. What happens if your flight's delayed? BTW, we walked off the plane at 11:10 and were checking in at 12:00.

Oh, and you're not willing to sit next to "smelly people from God knows where" for the bus ride, but you're willing to stand in line for hours with the same people?

The grocery stop, I'll give you. But to balance that out... ME is FREE! A towncar service would have cost us the same price as a sit down dinner.
    -------<br />June 05 - WL<br />Sept. 01 - Poly<br />Sept. 97 - CR<br />May 96 - Off Site<br />June 94 - Off Site<br />June 93 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

disney rox
    must be nice to have money to spend on limos etc. we are hard pressed to take this magical vacation this year and people like you want to degrade me and call me "smelly". i am EXCITED to ride ME and pardon me when i am still EXCITED in line and may want to talk to you about your stay etc. remember, you may be well off but not all of us are. disney and magic express..... here i come!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    GO CARDINALS GO RAMS
    OFFSITE 1983
    OFFSITE 2001
    POR 2005 -- 9/28-10/4
    CBR 2011 -- 10/7-10/12

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator alert: please refrain from any type of personal attacks (whether made directly or inferred from someone else's post).

[ June 21, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

1) We will be moving to Orlando in August.
    2) But we have one more trip to WDW before then.
    3) We will still use Tiffany.
    4) I just like the special service a towncar provides.
    5) The kids and grandkids will still use town cars.

NOTE: ME is is great idea and a savings of $50-$150, based upon family size. But I still like the idea of a car service. Personal choice, I guess.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

DizneyRox, I agree with you 100% about the car service. We won't use ME because we too want the convenience of having someone at the luggage carousel waiting for us. He helps us out with our luggage and we also always make a grocery stop. To us, it is worth the extra expense just for the convenience. On our trip over Memorial day, the limosine service had two tv screens with cartoons on it for our kids! Can't be beat in my opinion!!
    ~Nance~
    DVC Members since 8/01 6/85~DI, 2/98~CBR, 1/99~OKW, 4/99~OKW, 2/00~OKW, 6/00~CBR, 1/01~VWL, 2/02~VWL, 8/02~BWV, 1/03~OKW, 3/04~VWL, 10/04~SSR, 5/05~OKW, 8/05~BCV, 3/06~SSR & BCV, 8/06~BWV & BCV, 1/07~SSR & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Do you recommend this service?
    Not at all.

We always hire a private car. However, on our most recent trip one member of our family had to fly home before the rest of us. We made arrangements in March for her to utilize Magical Express from resort to airport. We figured the worse thing to happen would be an early pick up time. No problem. She is flying International and will require/need the extra time.

It sounds simple enough - right?

Well ... there was no *Magic* and certainly no *Express*. They never showed up!!

You can read all about it here. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SamG:
    Oh, and you're not willing to sit next to "smelly people from God knows where" for the bus ride, but you're willing to stand in line for hours with the same people?
    I don't enjoy stanging in queue lines with 'em either. Given the choice, I'll avoid it when I can.

I didn't mean to infer that you guys are smelly either. I fairly certain you know what I meant by the statement. Convenience costs money, I'm willing to pay for that. It appears the question at hand was that time was limited and they wanted to know if ME was worth it. If your time is important, then it's not. If you can gamble with it, fine, take a gamble, in the end you are in the same place either way. When all is said and done you still end up at your resort. For me, I would rather know that my bags are with me, they get delivered to the room when I get there, I don't need to worry about 50 other people and where they are going and if I'm going to be dropped off first/last or somewhere in between.

I also tend to like to support the "little guy". They often have customer service high on the list of their "Vision, Mission and Goals Statement". The extra price is worth services provided to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the link from my intercot newsletter one month and used that town car service. I assume that clicking the link ad gives intercot a piece of the pie...but anyway--stop rambling.
    I am not "Well off" but I did splurge for the town car. It was $186.00 round trip from MCO to Grosvenor. We had the same driver both ways. He was wonderful. It was exciting for the kids to look for our name on a card standing with someone at the airport who was looking just for us. We stopped at the grocery store at the crossroads and the driver was great....opened doors, the trunk, loaded and unloaded our luggage. We were whisked off to our resort in a matter of minutes. It was awesome. I recommend a town car for anyone wanting a little more piece of the magic. Also, beverages were included in the car. Good music and great conversation from our driver.

Good luck with your choice!! Looks like there are a lot of opinions here. Everyone is different in what they like. Enjoy!!

[ June 21, 2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: dolphinmickey9170 ]
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Rox... I'm still curious... on YOUR LAST TRIP, how much time did it take you from walking off the plane until you stepped up to the counter at your resort?

Also, do you not take a carry on w/extra clothes at all? What do you do if the airline loses your luggage? (or are you a gambler? )

And, when do you have your car service pick you up to take you back to the airport? 90 minutes before the flight? 120?

I'm trying to get hard numbers to compare to my experience w/ME.
    -------<br />June 05 - WL<br />Sept. 01 - Poly<br />Sept. 97 - CR<br />May 96 - Off Site<br />June 94 - Off Site<br />June 93 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to recommend another option - rent a car!! I currently have a car reserved from Alamo for one week for a total price of $124.01. I can come and go as I please and not have to wait for anyone or anything. In addition, I have the option of going off property for an occasional meal or shopping (the outlets in Orlando are fantastic). I believe this price is less than what a limo would cost.

Post Thanks / Like

SamG -- I have used a towncar service many times in the past.

From the time I get my luggage to check-in at the resort, it takes approximately an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, and this includes a grocery stop.
    From the resort to the airport, the towncar arrives at the resort a little more than two hours prior to flight. This allows extra time to go through security. We grab breakfast and do some window shopping at the airport while we wait for our flight. A towncar offers door to door service. I don't know if ME will make stops at each airline for departure.

There are pros and cons with using ME and a towncar. It all comes down to preference. Hope this helps with your numbers.
    Nov. '98, DxL
    Nov. '00 DxL
    Nov. '01, ASMo
    Nov. '02, WL
    Dec. '03 PO-R
    Sept. '04, SSR; Nov. '04, OKW
    Aug. '05, SSR; Nov. '05, SSR
    Aug. 06, SSR; Nov. '06, OKW
    June '07, VWL; Nov. '07, SSR
    Aug. '08, AKV; Oct. '08, SSR
    June '09, OKW & AKV; Oct. '09 SSR
    Aug '10, SSR & AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Patti:
    SamG -- I have used a towncar service many times in the past.

From the time I get my luggage to check-in at the resort, it takes approximately an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, and this includes a grocery stop.
    From the resort to the airport, the towncar arrives at the resort a little more than two hours prior to flight. This allows extra time to go through security. We grab breakfast and do some window shopping at the airport while we wait for our flight. A towncar offers door to door service. I don't know if ME will make stops at each airline for departure.

There are pros and cons with using ME and a towncar. It all comes down to preference. Hope this helps with your numbers.
    Very similar numbers. Maybe not quite the hour and 15 minutes. We normally travel early in the AM, traffic is usually not so bad (or hasn't been).

We pack pretty much EVERYTHING in the checked baggage (maybe a pair on essentials and shorts, t-shirt in the carry on), just in case there's lost baggage. Knock on wood, no problems with luggage yet, and we don't pack in anticipation of it either. We play the numbers, and chances are you are NOT going to lose your luggage on a flight. But, no I'm not a gambler, I'm a realist (and I don't mean anything by that other than I'm an optimist, not a pesimist).

I wouldn't factor in late flights, etc, most town car services will monitor the airlines of their guests and will be there when the flight lands. We go non-stop to FL as well, so as long as the flight takes off, we'll be there.

Renting a car was an option, BUT in the past we were spending close to $600 or $700 on a rental (staying for 17 days does get expensive). We found that taking a car to the parks was just not worth it either. Leaving MGM or Epcot at closing can be all sorts of fun, with a capital F. Forget about leaving MK. Taking the busses has been pretty good for us. We do prefer to stay at the BW which I believe to have THE best transportation setup on property. We have rented recently and it's not horrible, but we're just not using the car enough, I'd rather pay the money to the town car places then the car rental (no worries about a damaged car, tourists drive like maniacs mostly, gas prices, etc).

Again, not every option is right for everyone. If you're worried about time, I believe town car IS the best option. Less can go wrong that will impact your precious time.

If money is the deciding factor, ME is the right option. It doesn't get better than free.

If convenience/flexibility is your top priority, rental car should probably be your first choice.

[ June 21, 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: DizneyRox ]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by dvc4us4:
    DizneyRox, I agree with you 100% about the car service. We won't use ME because we too want the convenience of having someone at the luggage carousel waiting for us. He helps us out with our luggage and we also always make a grocery stop. To us, it is worth the extra expense just for the convenience.
    I agree!! We love car service. We were still deciding last week (and we leave Sunday) between going with a car service or trying ME this trip. Car service won out for us!

[ June 21, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: David and Missy ]
    DVC Members @ SSR

Spring 1976 Missy's 1st trip
    Oct. 2000 DL (Honeymoon)
    Sept. 2003 POR
    Oct. 2003 CS (DH Business Trip)
    July/Aug. 2004 OKW
    June/July 2005 OKW/WL
    Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006 SSR
    June 2006 OKW

Next Up:
    April 2007 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

[quote]Originally posted by DizneyRox:
    Originally posted by Patti:
    [qb]
    Again, not every option is right for everyone. If you're worried about time, I believe town car IS the best option. Less can go wrong that will impact your precious time.
    Here's where we disagree. I don't think a towncar saves you that much time. According to you and Patti, it takes about an hour 15 minutes (give or take) "from when you get your luggage" to checkin. It took me less than an hour from when I walked off the plane. (Keep in mind, you've got at least a 10-20 minute travel time from the gate areas to the baggage areas of MCO). If you add that into your time, it's now taking you an hour and a half from when you walk off the plane to checkin... 30 minutes more than it took me on ME. (Granted, includes a grocery stop)

Patti stated the towncar picks her up a little more than 2 hours before the flight... using ME, I gave up an extra 30 minutes in the park there.

Overall, I think the timing is about the same.

If money is the deciding factor, ME is the right option. It doesn't get better than free.

If convenience/flexibility is your top priority, rental car should probably be your first choice.
    I'll give you ME is better on price, and towncar/rental car is better on flexibility (grocery stops), but not having to deal with luggage is a HUGE convience IMHO.

Each family would need to look at what they want to accomplish... and there's only two hard/fast rules... if you need to have a grocery stop, ME is not for you. If you want to save $$$... ME is great.

Other than those, it's a compromise either way.

[ June 22, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: SamG ]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: