Quantcast Pressed Penny Books

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

singermom4 Guest

Where is the best place to get these? Would I find them in a resort shop or should I place an order? Also, where are the pressed penny machines generally located - are they identified on any park maps? How much does it cost to make a pressed penny. My 6yo is fascinated with these and would surely love to do as many as possible.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get the penny books at stands in the parks as well as the larger stores. I don't remember if we saw them for sure in the hotel
    "gift shop" but I think so. Someone will come along and answer this for you I'm sure. Machines are found anywhere and everywhere.

Hope that helps.

(Link removed as per Terms of service)

[ January 13, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: mikki.young ]
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Pressed penny machines are located all over the place - in the parks, in the hotels, you can't escape them. There are so many that you will need to get your 6yo to get fussy about what he wants quick or you will have a massive collection!

Generally the pressed pennies cost 51c and save all your bright clean pennies because they are best for pressing. There are also some pressed quarters which cost more but have some cute designs.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Serious collectors will use pennies minted prior to 1982 because after 1982 the mint began to use a percentage of 99.2% zinc with a 0.8% copper - coating. In pre-1982 pennies that percentage was 95% copper, 5% zinc.

Although it is difficult to tell the difference between the two, it becomes more obvious once the penny is elongated. The elongation process will reveal the zinc below the copper and many collectors find the appearance of zinc in the design detracting from the design of the die itself.

Zinc doesn't polish very well either and tarnishes to a dark gray.
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the ride gift shops have a penny or quarter press representing that ride. There are many generic character or park ones in the other gift shops as well.

I think most of the hotel gift shops have the books.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikki.Young, the only reason I posted the link is because I asked a similar question back in June. PolyGirl posted the coin link for me so I assumed it was ok to post it for Singermom.

Since I am sure it is ok to post a link to another Intercot thread I will post the the one from June. Singermom, if you follow this you will get a list of penny machine locations.
    http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultim...=007274#000000

[ January 13, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Jeff ]
    Jeff

singermom4 Guest

Thanks again Jeff - I saved the link this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I caused some confusion, Jeff. Not your fault. I did indeed post that link last Summer. However, we've had to really clamp down on outside linking as it was getting way out of hand. There was just too much room for error when some were allowed and some weren't.

On the brightside:
    We will be adding a complete updated list of the elongated penny and quarter machines within the next few weeks to Info Central.

[ January 13, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Singermom, your son will love doing the pennies! It is really great fun. My 9 year old son took this up this past trip, we just carried the book (can get everywhere in the World) in our backpack and whipped it out every time he found one he liked. And it is so cheap! compared to other souvenirs. It does become a great souvenir, I even enjoy looking at it every once in awhile. Have a blast doing this, I know he will!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mar.99,00,01,02-Dixie Landings Resort; Jan,2004 (9th-18th)- First DVC trip, Beach Club Villas; April,2005 7 days Boardwalk Villas and first Disney cruise on the Wonder!; June, 2006- First time on the Disney Magic, can't wait!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a pressed penny tip. Save the little plactic tubes that M&m's come in, one for each child in different colors. Save quarters and pennies in them for the trip. Each child gets thier own tube to carry around and when they decide to get a pressed penny they are happy to pull out the tube and mom isn't digging for change.There is a bright green tube on my dresser now waiting to be filled.!!!!!
    Been There, Done That, Going Back, June 2006 POR

singermom4 Guest

Originally posted by aldebkate:
    I have a pressed penny tip. Save the little plactic tubes that M&m's come in, one for each child in different colors. Save quarters and pennies in them for the trip. Each child gets thier own tube to carry around and when they decide to get a pressed penny they are happy to pull out the tube and mom isn't digging for change.There is a bright green tube on my dresser now waiting to be filled.!!!!!
    Thanks for the tip! Just one caveat though - I've heard of people being stopped at the airport for searches because the rolls of pennies/quarters look like something else! Best to fill the cylinders once you get to WDW if you are arrive by plane.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: