Quantcast Tom Clancy ... Big Disney Fan?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I have a question for anyone who reads Tom Clancy novels ...

Is he a big Disney fan? I can't help but notice that in almost every one of his books (especially the later ones) he mentions Disney or Walt Disney World or Disneyland or some Disney reference like 10-20 times in each book.

I'm reading his new one, Red Rabbit, right now and I swear I'm not done and I think he's mentioned Walt Disney World like 25 times. The novel involves Ryan breaking a Russian defector out from behind the Iron Curtain and one of the things they talk about over and over again is how much his little girl will LOVE Disney World.

Also ... in Rainbow Six, Clark's team stages an assault on terrorists that have taken over a theme park that is distinctly reminiscent of Disneyland.

Clancy doesn't seem like the type to be a big Disney fan, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me?
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

Gee Ian....I read a lot of Clancy....I'll have to think about that. I'm not as far as you are in his series of books.

Hmmmmmm...thinking...thinking...thinking!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm not a Clancy reader, but the only thing that came to my mind was that maybe Disney is giving him a kickback for mentioning them. You know, like the "subliminal" advertising that takes place in movies constantly.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Tom Clancy has to mention Disney to make extra money, nor does it sound like something he (or Disney for that matter) would do.

Ian, I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, I have noticed his references to Disney. I'm guessing he is just a Walt Disney fan. I did a quick search and didn't find any connections. I'm sure you could find out on one of the many Clancy fan sites.

I was disappointed in the latest Jonathan Kellerman book. I loved the book, but he wrote about his primary character taking his daughter to "Epcot or maybe Disney World" for a vacation. GEEZ where was his editor? I get annoyed by Disney ignorance in otherwise intelligent people.
    [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny that you say that, because this past summer I read a book The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer. Half of the book takes place in Disney World, in the tunnels, and the Production Center where the parade floats are stored. I wonder if he worked there, because he described everything accurately.

It was a decent murder mystery book, but I loved it b/c it took place in Disney World.
    Just think of lovely things and your heart will fly on wings, forever in Neverland.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I remember in "Along Came A Spider" (the book was so much better than the horrible movie), there was a big scene that occurred at the Transportation and Ticket Center. There was some decent descriptions of areas of Disney World and the other surrounding areas. I would recommend this book for suspense fans, especially if you liked the author's other book/movie, "Kiss the Girls".
    Tony
    Former Operations CM at Disney's Animal Kingdom! (Tarzan Rocks & Dinosaur)
    College Program Participant
    May 2001 - November 2001

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think these writers set scenes in Disney World so that they can write-off their family trips as business expenses. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by WardKimballFan:
    I think these writers set scenes in Disney World so that they can write-off their family trips as business expenses. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] Well, I don't know if that is the reason, but it sure is a good idea.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm .... I've always wanted to be a writer -- now I know what to write about!!!

Can you say, "write-off"!!??

[img]smile.gif[/img] - V
    1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV, OKW & AS Music; March 2002, OKW; Nov. 2002, BWV & Offsite; Nov. 2005, SSprings and WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by EPCOTBoy:
    I remember in "Along Came A Spider" (the book was so much better than the horrible movie), there was a big scene that occurred at the Transportation and Ticket Center. There was some decent descriptions of areas of Disney World and the other surrounding areas. I would recommend this book for suspense fans, especially if you liked the author's other book/movie, "Kiss the Girls".
    That is James Patterson, correct?
    Melanie aka Melanears şOş

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

There's also Clive Cussler's "Iceberg" in which the story concludes with a battle IN Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland... outstanding stuff [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    "What man can conceive, man can achieve" - Jules Verne
    "If we can dream it, we can do it" - Walt Disney
    "Remember...the future waits for no-one...not even you!" (or Alien Encounter)
    RIP: Horizons (last ride:12-28-98), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Timekeeper, Wonders of Life

Post Thanks / Like

That is James Patterson, correct?

Yes, Mel, it is. He is a very good author too. I have enjoyed all of his books.

Diane
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah,

I love taking notes of those Disney references. Aaron Sorkin, who writes and produces the West Wing TV show, loves mentioning Epcot. I used to have one of the quotes from the show in my signature. In "In The Shadow Of Two Gunmen part 1" Josh (Bradley Whitford) chastises one of the Vice President's policies by saying that you can't run for President of the Walt Disney Company by saying you're going to fix the rides at Epcot. In another episode, the same charactor proposes taking his girlfriend on vacation, and while naming possible destinations he says (somewhat sarcastically) "we can even go to Epcot if you want."

Anyway, just thought I'd drop that in there.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent