Quantcast Hurricane Frances Updates & News - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I left WDW at 8:30am this morning.
    I was staying at AKL and when I looked out this morning (about 7:30am) it was blue sky's. The local news showed that it had not much come ashore yet. I decided to make a break for it to Jacksonville.
    I-4 was very empty. The only problems I had was a little wind around Daytona and one little downpour around St. Augustine.
    I made it home by 11am.
    One reason I left was we were informed last night that we would have to stay in our rooms for about 30hrs. I went alone and I think I would have gone nuts staying in one room all by myself.
    When the hurricane showed it was going to hit this weekend I put 2 extra nights on, even got the same rate. I was ready to stay for the duration, but when I saw I could leave I took advantage of it.
    I hope everyone makes it through all this allright.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Things are starting to get a bit windy here. But I know the worst is yet to come. Power flickers once in a while. Having trouble getting on line. It took me 3 tries this time. Probably my last post for a long while. We were without power for 6 days last time. Sure it will be just as long or longer this time.

Watching the local news (wftv) and it seems as though the storm has slowed down even more. I think the waiting may be the worst part. Too many possibilities for her at this point.

Keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. And to all my other fellow Florida residents- see you on the other side.
    Kris

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by goofygirl67:
    One reason I left was we were informed last night that we would have to stay in our rooms for about 30hrs. I went alone and I think I would have gone nuts staying in one room all by myself.
    LOL!! Yeah, but what a place to be stuck.
    -- AP since 2001
    -- Pop Century May 2005
    -- Pop Century July 2005

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's a great place to get stuck and originally when it was supposed to cruise through I was looking forward to it. It was the possible 30hrs and maybe abandoning my animals at home till tues (my parents are supposed to go on vacation on Monday) that did it.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks?
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting...it's getting windy and rainy here but nothing too terrible yet.

Heard we won't be opening again tomorrow...but I figured since now it seems the storm won't be here until tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

heh

looks like we picked a good year to switch our september vacation to may

I hope everyone down there comes out ok and can still enjoy themselvs despite this terrible weather

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SallyP:
    Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right?
    I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the local news station (WESH) the storm has stalled off the coast of Florida. The eye is tightening up, indicating that it is trying to strengthen. It has been pretty gusty all day and it just rained a bit for the second time since noon.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Zebra:
    According to the local news station (WESH) the storm has stalled off the coast of Florida. The eye is tightening up, indicating that it is trying to strengthen. It has been pretty gusty all day and it just rained a bit for the second time since noon.
    Yeah, the weather channel is saying right now that they don't know if it stalled because its weakening or if it is strengthening over the the ocean. My guess would be is that its starting to recoup a bit. I will remain glued to my tv.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

GooglieBear wrote:
    Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks?
    This is a MAJOR urban legend. All buildings on WDW property are built to withstand 150mph+ hurricane-force winds, according to the specially-designed Reedy Creek building code, which is different from the Florida state building code. Hurricane Donna came through central Florida in 1960 with 100mph+ winds, so when Walt started working on his "Florida Project", he got special permission from Governor Hayden Burns for his own building code and governing body (Reedy Creek Improvement District). Here's a link to Reedy Creek:
    Reedy Creek Building Code Requirements and History

The Castle, and no building on property for that matter, has ever been taken apart for any major storms here.

As far as what the parks are doing, I know for Charley, they tied down everything in sight - merchandise carts, popcorn and food carts, awnings, signs, you name it; if it could move, it was tied down. We moved the Main Street vehicles to the tunnels underneath the Train Station. We parked four Monorails nose to tail in the Contemporary Concourse. Folks, we're doing our best to keep everything and everyone safe. The only thing we can't really control damage to, is the landscaping and trees. That's about all that was really damaged with Charley, and a few road signs.

So keep that *pixie dust* coming, we can use it!

[ September 04, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Main Street Jim ]
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Googlie Bear:
    Absolute, 100% "urban legend". The only way it is removable is via a wrecking ball.
    ________
    WR250
    Last edited by Ed; 01-18-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by J9:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SallyP:
    Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right?
    I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't for get that they are planning on opening the parks early on Monday...everyone's in an hour earlier.
    Walt Disney World Entertainment

Participating in the Walt Disney World Marathon...see my homepage for info!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Zebra:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J9:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SallyP:
    I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't for get that they are planning on opening the parks early on Monday...everyone's in an hour earlier. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah I know, and I have to be in at 8. And there's no way I can make it because my flight doesn't leave Philly until 3. So I have to call out for my 3rd consecutive work day. Thank goodness that only is one point. I just dont want my managers to be annoyed with me for high tailing it, but I think they'd have to understand. My mom and dad did not want me alone in FL with all the news reports they were getting.
    Janine
    -----------------
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)

Post Thanks / Like

Current winds at Swan & Dolphin are 30-35 with a gust of 46. Some damage reported near the beaches. We'll see what happens here.
    -- AP since 2001
    -- Pop Century May 2005
    -- Pop Century July 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by [BS]Mickey:
    Current winds at Swan & Dolphin are 30-35 with a gust of 46. Some damage reported near the beaches. We'll see what happens here.
    Good ol' WeatherBug!
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

CMs,
    Did any glass panels from The Land get knocked out during Charley? I thought I saw that on one of the newscasts. And if so is that just architectural 'decor' , I mean you can't see those glass panels from the inside can you?

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by J9:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by [BS]Mickey:
    Good ol' WeatherBug! </font>[/QUOTE]Correct. I trust it alot more than the tv stations. They're just trying to outdo each other at the beach.

We've had two squalls come through, and all the tv staions can do is show radar of the coast. It's good we know what's coming, but I want to know what is already here.
    -- AP since 2001
    -- Pop Century May 2005
    -- Pop Century July 2005

NORTHERN New York 43° 12\' 10"N, 73° 47\' 46"W
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by TiggTigg5:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Googlie Bear:
    Absolute, 100% "urban legend". The only way it is removable is via a wrecking ball. </font>[/QUOTE]And to that would require a crane with a 300' boom. Just getting that crane into MK would take everything with it in its path, no matter which way it went in [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    How these old wives tales keep manifesting themselves is unbelievable [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]
    Next visit to my happy place ºoº
    June 2012-Coronado Springs
    June 2007-Coronado Springs
    July 2004- Coronado Springs
    Aug 2001-Coronado Springs
    Nov 1998- Wilderness Lodge
    April 1995- Dixie Landings
    April 1993- Carribean Beach
    April 1993- Port Orleans
    Feb 1990- Fort Wilderness
    ºoº ºoº ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

All Disney Parks will be closed again tomorrow, September 5.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: