Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

We are driving from PA to Disney next Friday and I learned today that two potential tropical storms (soon to be hurricanes) may threaten Fl within the next few days and next week. Sure hope they move out of the FL are quickly and don't ruin our vacation!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well..we'll be heading down on the 20th, So I sure hope it is all cleared up by then!!! I used to liv ein NC, usually the hurricanes liked to veer away from Florida and head to NC...at least when I lived there...maybe that'll happen to these too? (Not that I wish any ill will on NC!)

Good luck with the weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Stay safe, all of you. Whether you be vacationing there or living there, my thoughts and hopes will be that everyone is safe and unharmed from these storms.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

I'm a South Floridian so there is lots on the news about these two tropical systems. First of all, both are headed towards the Gulf of Mexico (west, WDW is central or more east coast). Bonnie looks like it will probably stay on path and head more towards Texas. Charley is also headed towards the gulf and will probably be off the coast of the Fl Keys by friday. This one might interfere with your vacation but probably not directly. Probably just some rainy weather if anything. Like our weathermen always say, it's too soon to tell. Hope all goes well...

*Shannon
    Stayed at: *ASMu *ASSp *POR *POP *CBR *CSR *WDW Dolphin *CR *AKL *Poly GVC & LVC *BWI

WDWCP Alumni
    Fall Advantage 2002
    Attractions Hostess-Wonders of Life-Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Forget everything I just mentioned...the news just said that Bonnie might affect central florida (just a lot of rain) and charley might go over the whole state this weekend! Yikes...
    Stayed at: *ASMu *ASSp *POR *POP *CBR *CSR *WDW Dolphin *CR *AKL *Poly GVC & LVC *BWI

WDWCP Alumni
    Fall Advantage 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Well thats not good for me.. I'm driving down saturday evening from pa. I'm leaving at 6:00 pm saturday night and expect to be in Florida by Sunday morning around 8:00 am or so. It's really going to stink driven down in a storm....

Post Thanks / Like

Moving to Mousellaneous...
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

As someone who works in Law Enforcement in Louisiana where we deal with storms a lot. Take this advice Watch the Weather. It will change every day. Storms change by the hour and can strengthen or die in hours.
    Right now the path for Bonnie is across the pan handle of Florida and on to South Carolina. This is at 9:30 pm central time on 8-10-04.

The first path for Charley is close to Tampa which is not good for Disney. But that is so far out in time, that path will change.

How unpredictable is a storm? We started our preperations for the storm today at the Sheriffs department. We can't wait till it is going to hit us. If it is in the gulf we have to be ready.
    Watch the weather and pay attention that is the best advise.
    hope you have a great trip and the storms don't affect you.

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

[ August 10, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: SgtTigger ]
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

An honest-to-goodness chance to experience a hurricane! Batten down and enjoy it, I say, but then my wife thinks I'm a weather idiot.

Seriously, my thought is that Florida and WDW are built to handle rough weather. The roads will drain, you'll find some shelter, it'll pass over, and you'll have a great time! Someone is bound to say that a hurricane closed the parks one of the two times they've ever been closed, but those are pretty good odds for you!

That's more than two cents, but man I love weather. Have a great trip.
    Disney Future
    Jan 2009 My dream family vacation for my 40th - 5 days at BC, 5 at WL (then a cruise? hehe!)

Keep me sane... when have I been again?
    PORS 2006, 2007
    DCL Magic 2004, 2005
    WL 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    CR 2005
    PC 2005
    Wyndham DTD 2001, 2003, 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be rude, but a hurricane is much more than a thunderstorm. If you were positive you'd be able to be safe in your hotel by the time the storm hit, I'd say go for it...but I wouldn't try driving through it. Besides the rain, you may encounter other drivers that are evacuating or trying to drive from the storm themselves. It's be a nightmare. When it becomes a hurricane, it'll probably be a weak one but still a powerful storm that is moving quickly. Also, as of 11pm on our local news the path for Charley has it going anywhere from the gulf up to the panhandle/alabama area or going straight over miami/fort lauderdale (me!!). This will all happen around Friday. Hurricanes are ever changing. Keep watching the weather channel or even check the internet for Florida news stations to get the real deal.

*Shannon

WDWCP Alumni
    Fall Advantage 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me ArtDeco,
    but we've had so much rain this summer that our roads are not draining properly right now. All the retaining ponds are at there limits and are starting to spill over in some areas. We have parking lots that aren't draining at all.
    Where I would love to have the storms come near us (we get missed most of the time in Jacksonville) to cool us down, we don't need more water.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by goofygirl67:
    Excuse me ArtDeco,
    but we've had so much rain this summer that our roads are not draining properly right now. All the retaining ponds are at there limits and are starting to spill over in some areas. We have parking lots that aren't draining at all.
    Where I would love to have the storms come near us (we get missed most of the time in Jacksonville) to cool us down, we don't need more water.
    Then I hope it misses you in JAX and Jeff T has a great time in Orlando. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Make no mistake, I respect a hurricane for what it is! They're dangerous, deadly, and costly, but living in the south you must know that a lot of us kind of root for the hurricane, we just don't want it near us.

May your roads and ponds dry soon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 11, 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: ArtDeco ]
    Disney Future
    Jan 2009 My dream family vacation for my 40th - 5 days at BC, 5 at WL (then a cruise? hehe!)

PORS 2006, 2007
    DCL Magic 2004, 2005
    CR 2005
    PC 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Oh dear, you ARE gonna have a wet drive if the forecast is accurate. They sure are moving fast! Drive safely and send us a weather report.

[ August 11, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: ArtDeco ]
    Disney Future

PORS 2006, 2007
    DCL Magic 2004, 2005
    CR 2005
    PC 2005

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I would be concerned if your visit to WDW is anywhere from this Thursday night through the weekend. I have a feeling that flights on Friday and Saturday into Florida will be severly affected.

At best, the weather will be rainy, windy, unsettled. At worst, Orlando could suffer a direct hit from Charley or at least tropical storm force winds and a lot of rain.

It may not be time to cancel your plans, but it will require very close monitoring.
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all be careful there in Florida and panhandle area. Anyone driving down to WDW PLEASE watch the news to monitor the storms and take care.

I live in South Texas so I know how serious these storms can be. (We thought for a bit we might get one of these storms here.) They can change course in an instant and dump an incredible amount of rain in a very short period of time.

My prayers are with y'all. PLEASE be careful and keep safe.
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I just heard from family members that work at WDW that there are potentially some cutbacks that could be taking place this Friday, August 13 due to Charley. Time will tell whether or not park hours will be affected yet, but I've heard that AK MAY be closed on Friday. Also, E-Ride night has been cancelled for Friday and most outdoor shows have been cancelled or rescheduled.

Call 407WDISNEY for up to the minute info.
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

I just got off the phone with Disney;

E-Ride Night is not "officially" cancelled for tomorrow as of yet. However, no more tickets are being sold due to the pending forecast. If weather permits they will start selling them again in the morning - but it doesn't look good.

ALL 4 Parks will be open tomorrow morning for Extra Magic Hour! World Showcase will open at 10AM.

Guests are being advised to visit the parks early - as the weather looks increasingly worse by midday and beyond.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Our plans are that we'll start driving to Orlando from Virginia tomorrow...I'm not so sure now?
    ~Cassie~<br /><br />A few trips to the Treehouse Villas, Fairway Villas, Contemp, and a lot of off-site<br />March 1999- Boardwalk Inn<br />July 1999- Boardwalk Inn<br />July 2000- Boardwalk Inn<br />April 2001- All Star Sports (HS senior trip)<br />July 2001- Boardwalk Inn<br />July 2002- Boardwalk Inn<br />Jan-May 2003- WDWCP<br />June 2003- Coronado Springs<br />Jan 2004- Pop Century<br />May 2004- Off-site<br />August 2004- Port Orleans-French Quarter<br />October 2004 F&W Fest!- Polynesian (hopefully!)

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to wish you all to be safe and sound from any storms going on. I feel so bad for Floridians and guests in Disney now. I just hope it won't cause lots of damage and injuries. I was just thinking that, just 1 year ago, to be exact, i was in WDW!!

[ August 12, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Bmwdsny ]
    Melinda

DH; DD(13); DS(9)
    DVC Owner: BWV, VWL, VB, SSR

Future Trip: August 2006
    WDW and Double CC Disney Cruise

Past Trips: 8/05 DL and 14 day Repo Cruise;
    12/04 BCV/SSR/Wonder Cr; 1/04 WLV;

WL Flag Family 1/18/2004

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    ALL 4 Parks will be open tomorrow morning for Extra Magic Hour! World Showcase will open at 10AM.
    Wow, that has to be a first, but certainly understandable.
    Melanie aka Melanears ºOº

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: