Quantcast Hurricane Frances Updates & News - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just talked to the folks back home...my mom had like 3 tvs tuned to three different stations covering the hurricane. She's not a happy camper right now [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] Oh why oh why did her oldest daughter have to move to Florida.

I'm taking the same attitude for the storm that I'm taking with the rest of the problems in my life right now....just let them go. Whatever happens, happens. I don't have control over things so I'll just make the best of it.

This may make me sound stupid but oh well...i'll just be adding this to my list of things to pray for and help my roomate host our hurricane ride out party.

I hope to post here again before the storm but I volunteered to help get the Studios get ready for Frances after work tomorrow so who knows if I'll get back. If I don't I'll see ya'll on the other side. [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane Frances - Walt Disney World Resort Announcement

Based on updated information from the National Weather Service and consultation with emergency preparedness officials, Walt Disney World theme and water parks will operate on an abbreviated schedule on Friday, September 3, 2004.

Current forecasts indicate tropical force winds will not reach the Walt Disney World Resort until daylight on Saturday. Based on this information, we anticipate closing on Saturday. Additional schedule announcements will be made as updated information becomes available Friday.

This schedule will allow us to feed and care for the more than 75,000 Resort guests who will be staying on Walt Disney World property throughout the weekend.

HOURS OF OPERATION

Magic Kingdom: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
    Epcot: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
    Disney-MGM Studios: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Blizzard Beach: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Typhoon Lagoon: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Disney's Wide World of Sports: Open for scheduled events
    Fantasia Gardens & Winter Summerland -- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Downtown Disney: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Pleasure Island: Closed
    Cirque du Soleil: 6 p.m. show only
    DisneyQuest -- 11:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Electrical Water Pageant -- Cancelled

All Walt Disney World Resort hotels will remain open throughout the storm. Guests staying at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campground will be relocated to other hotels on property.

We have an extensive hurricane preparedness plan and are staffed and prepared for a realm of possible impacts that this type weather could have on our property.

[ September 03, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting ready up here in South GA for the onslaught of evacuees. I work at a vet's office and we are getting tons of people calling to board their animals for the weekend. I feel so bad for people trying to find places to stay, holiday weekend plus this storm. During Charlie, every hotel in Lowndes County was book full. I think we may see more this time because no one knows where it is going to make landfall so a lot of different areas are evacuating. Please drive safe if you are evacuating!! I-75 traffic up here has been pretty bad.
    October 2000 & 2003 CBR
    March 2004 Offsite
    May 2004 AK Lodge
    July & Sept 2004 Pop Century
    Nov 2004 Offsite
    Dec 2004 Coronado Springs
    March 2005 Contemporary
    July 2010 Contemporary
    May 2011 AK Lodge
    Nov 2011 POR-Riverside
    Feb 2012 Polynesian
    April & May 2012 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and Pixie Dust for everyone in the path of the Hurricane.Hope everyone make out alright.
    Upcoming Trip:
    Jan 09 CSR Christmas Day Surprise
    Previous:
    Jan 08 CBR
    July 06 CBR
    Jan. 05 CBR
    Feb. 04 POR
    Jan. 01 CBR
    Jan. 00 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Well all... Dollar Rent A Car was very gracious and waived the normal drop off fee, so I have decided to drive my rental car home before the hurricane hits. While I have no doubt it would have been an interesting weekend and the hurricam would have been a hit, I have a family to think about, and they want me home.

So, to our cast that lives in Orlando and those vacationing here who are riding out the storm, my prayers are with you.

We'll be working to update the site with the latest information as it comes in. Please check the storm thread often.
    John Y
    Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer
    INTERCOT, Mousehut & Webdisney

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

John, I was just thinking about your predicament and I thought you ought to rent a car and get on home. You made the right decision. Godspeed.
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

Stay safe everyone! Wherever this thing goes, I hope you all take every precaution and keep your families safe. I will be thinking about all of you over there and praying that you will all be safe. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] For those of you who had to cancel your trip, I am very sorry it must be very depressing but you really wouldn't want to be there at this time. Give it a week or so to get back to normal and then go and have some fun. Good luck to you all!
    Sheree
    WDW Trips:
    Countless trips between (12/96) through (3/07)
    (Disneyland) To many times to count!
    (7/2005) Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration
    (6/07) MOVED FROM FRESNO, CA TO
    APOPKA, FL - 30 MINUTES FROM WDW!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SallyP:
    I'm not trying to be cruel or flippant, I'm trying to let you know the enormity of the situation. Things we take for granted may not be available for awhile.
    This storm has literally turned the entire state of Florida upside down and it hasn't even touched land yet. Try finding gas ANYWHERE right now and your patience will be put to the test. Every major road in the state has been stop and go all day and will probably remain so until well after the storm passes. They all have to come home sometime. Nearly every place you can imagine is total chaos. It's like the holiday shopping season multiplied at least twice with the added element of fear. It's so unreal . . .

[ September 03, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Ghost1000 ]
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

Post Thanks / Like

At my hotel here in Atlanta I've been getting Floridian refugees all night. So many, in fact, we are completely booked for the rest of the weekend. Not sure if they had to come this far or if they just chose to but their saying it was a horrible drive (twice as long as normal)just to get here. Lots of pixie dust coming from here for all you folks that are staying behind.

Post Thanks / Like

This is so horrible. My mother lost everything in Andrew - actually that's why she is living up here with us now.

My daughter has a good friend who just got started in the college program down there. I'm nervous about the kids in this program. They're new to Disney and bam - here comes this storm. Especially after what one of the other CPs posted earlier.

Prayers and hopes are with everyone there.

[ September 03, 2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: smcd ]
    Oct '94 - WL
    Feb '96 - PO
    Nov '96 - ASMu/Offsite
    Oct '97 - Cari
    Aug '98 - Off Site
    Feb '99 - ASMovies
    Oct '00 - Poly/BC
    Sep '01 - POR
    May '02 - WL/POR
    Jan '04 - BC and Cont
    Dec '04 - POP
    Jan '06 - BC
    Dec '07 - POR
    Aug '09 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Frances is losing some power! Let's hope she weakens even more. Cat 3 right now instead of a 4.
    Jeanne don't serve Frances anything, maybe she'll get the hint and realize she's not welcome!
    Stay dry.

[ September 03, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Some observations from Ocala. Going home from work yesterday the first issue was to stop for gas (Driving in yesterday morning, not thinking, I figured I'd judt fill up after work). I hit 3 or 4 different stations with lines of motorhomes, etc, and numerous others were out of gas. I found one that still had gas, filled up and headed over to I-75 to go home. I was going southbound, of course there was no traffic that direction, but northbound was heavy but moving.

Got home and did the tape and boards for the windows, so I only have about 30 minutes worth of work to put them up tomorrow.

Coming into work this morning at 5AM, traffic northbound on 75 was somewhat heavy but moving at the speedlimit. The radio traffic reports said it was a 3hr trip from Orlando to the northern end of the turnpike, in Wildwood. (Normally 45min to an hour). The track is still shifting every report. sometimes showing the center coming just sout of Ocala, sometimes showing it closer to the northern Tampa suburbs. Just going to wait and see what happens.
    Former CM (MK Mdse 92-95)

Post Thanks / Like

Cat 3 now and looking very disorganized. Unfortunately the Bahamas took a direct hit, but they may have helped knock Frances around a bit as well. Let's hope she continues to shear away to nothing by the time she makes landfall!
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to send all my prayers and pixie dust to you all down there. Let's hope that Frances keeps loosing steam and you got all prepared for nothing!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Gov. Bush wants state declared disaster area

By Jeff Kunerth and Maya Bell
    Sentinel Staff Writers

September 3, 2004

UPDATE 8:15 a.m. from The Associated Press: Frances weakened today into a strong Category 3 storm packing 120 mph winds and the potential to push ashore waves up to 14 feet high, and is expected to begin affecting the state by tonight.

Its top sustained winds were down from about 145 mph on Thursday, but forecasters said it could be fluctuation typical with large storms. At 8 a.m., the hurricane was centered 250 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach and was moving west-northwest near 9 mph. Hurricane-force winds extended up to 85 miles from its center.

With its imposing size -- a cloud cover about as big as the state of Texas -- Frances has the potential to ravage the state with its slow movement. Forecasters say the slower the storm moves across the ocean, the longer its winds and rain could linger, increasing the possibility of serious damage.

Meanwhile, the ninth named storm of the season formed early today in the far eastern Atlantic. Tropical Storm Ivan was located about 610 miles southwest of the Cape Verde Islands and had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph. Ivan was centered near latitude 10.0 north, longitude 30.7 west.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thousands jammed airports and highways Thursday seeking to escape Hurricane Frances as the largest evacuation in Florida history got under way.

More than 2.5 million people from Miami north to Flagler County were ordered by Gov. Jeb Bush to flee the coast and low-lying areas.

During a visit to the Brevard County Emergency Operations Center, Bush warned that the storm "is going to hit us. And it's going to hit us hard."

The governor asked his brother, President Bush, to declare the entire state a disaster area. It was the second such request in three weeks, since Charley reawakened Floridians to the horrors of hurricanes.

Theme parks will close early today, and Orlando International Airport will shut down at noon. Unable to extend guests' bookings, hotels were dealing with frantic tourists who had no way to get home.

Frances spent the day wobbling and weakening, even downgrading to a Category 3 late Thursday. But it still was expected to reach land Saturday as a powerful Category 4 storm, with winds of up to 140 mph and possibly dumping 10 to 20 inches of rain. It's forecast to be twice the size of Hurricane Andrew, the costliest storm in U.S. history, which pummeled South Florida in 1992.

Late Thursday, the hurricane center's official 48-hour forecast, which has an average error rate of about 170 miles, had Frances making landfall somewhere between Palm Beach and Cape Canaveral on Saturday morning. Forecasters expected it to cross the peninsula somewhere south of Orlando and emerge north of Tampa into the Gulf of Mexico.

Frances is just as strong as Hurricane Charley, which devastated Florida's southwest coast Aug. 13, but more than twice the size, said Ed Rappaport, assistant director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

"This is not going to be a large tornado, like Charley was," state meteorologist Ben Nelson said. "This is going to be a full-fledged hurricane."

The evacuation order for Frances surpassed the 1.3 million people urged to leave during Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

With hurricane-force winds that extend up to 80 miles from its center, Frances could lose forward speed and linger longer over land, which would mean more rain and a dangerous storm surge that could flood low-lying areas.

Hurricane warnings covered most of the state's eastern coast. Wherever Frances comes ashore, forecasters said, the storm surge could exceed 14 feet.

An estimated 14.6 million Florida residents -- 86 percent of the state's population -- are within the projected path of Frances. About 10 million live in the 21 counties along or close to the Atlantic coast, including millions in the state's 840,000 mobile homes.

Few Floridians felt safe from the threat of Frances.

"This is still such a powerful hurricane, we're going to see a massive impact over a large area of the peninsula," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center west of Miami. "We're going to have, I would predict, massive power outages over the whole Florida peninsula."

Volusia County joined Brevard on Thursday in issuing mandatory evacuation of 120,000 residents of manufactured homes, barrier islands and low-lying areas. Volusia also enacted a curfew for all evacuation areas starting at 8 p.m. today. Curfews will be enforced from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. for the duration of the storm.

Along the "condo canyon" of Daytona Beach Shores, many residents chose to ignore Volusia's evacuation order with the understanding that if Frances arrives, there will be no rescue from the storm.

In her condo complex, Jane Smith said owners in 43 out of the 114 units planned to stick it out.

"This is as safe as anywhere, and it sure beats the heck out of a motel made of cinder block and plywood. This is made of concrete and steel," Smith said.

Volusia County spokeswoman Holly Smith said it's against the law for people to defy a mandatory-evacuation order, "but we are not going to take them out kicking and screaming." Seminole County also issued mandatory-evacuation orders for mobile-home residents and those in flood-prone areas, while Osceola asked residents at risk to voluntarily leave their homes.

In South Florida, the entire city of Miami Beach was ordered to leave, along with 300,000 evacuees in Palm Beach County, 250,000 in Broward County and 320,000 in Miami-Dade County.

Among those leaving Orlando ahead of Frances are the Federal Emergency Management Agency officials who arrived after the departure of Hurricane Charley. FEMA closed its Orlando disaster office Wednesday and left town Thursday.

"You should look at FEMA as visitors -- as your cousin coming in from out of town," Orange County fire Chief Carl Plaugher said.

"From an emergency-services point of view, we don't need them. It's not FEMA that puts Band-Aids on people."

William Carwile, federal coordinating officer for FEMA, said FEMA has pulled nonessential employees back to Atlanta until the storm comes through. But federal teams, including medical personnel and search-and-rescue groups, are poised to work, as are teams that can make a nearly instant assessment of damage and victims' needs, he said.

Public schools in 35 counties -- including all in Central Florida -- are closed today. State universities and colleges canceled classes. Hospitals and nursing homes along the east coast were closing and transferring their patients to other facilities, some as far away as Georgia.

Tolls were suspended on the state's toll roads, but plans to make the Bee Line Expressway a westbound-only highway were scrapped after traffic from Brevard County was lighter than expected.

Across the state, traffic on major highways was heavy but moving steadily, said Col. Chris Knight of the Florida Highway Patrol. But there were bottlenecks and backups throughout the state as residents and visitors followed the evacuation orders.

Florida's Turnpike seemed to be the escape route of choice for east-coast evacuees, and it had backed up traffic for 50 miles Thursday.

Thursday afternoon, northbound traffic on Interstate 95 was a slow-moving bumper-to-bumper nightmare from north of Daytona Beach to the south Brevard County line. Southbound lanes were nearly empty.

Frances is so massive that it has people unsure where to go, fearing they will move into the hurricane's path. The hurricane watch stretched about 300 miles from Florida City, near the state's southern tip, to Flagler Beach, north of Daytona Beach.

"It creates some logistical challenges when a hurricane watch is from Dade County up to Nassau County," said Bush, who suggested that evacuees need only go as far as the nearest shelter. "There are ways to get to a place of safety without having to get on I-95."

State officials hoped to avoid a repeat of the evacuation mess during Hurricane Floyd, when the 1.3 million people told to evacuate backed up traffic for 30 miles or more as people headed inland.

Preparations for Frances stripped bare the shelves of grocery and hardware stores. Gasoline shortages were also reported.

In Vero Beach, Patricia Thomas couldn't find the high-octane gas tat her BMW coupe requires.

"No one has the high-grade," said Thomas, 40, stymied at her sixth station. "I just want to fill up my car and get far away from here. I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm scared. I'm not in a good place right now."

In Fort Pierce, mandatory evacuations of the barrier islands began at noon Thursday. By early evening, most residents had fled the exposed barrier islands, and downtown Fort Pierce, which sits exposed on the Indian River, was empty except for a few stragglers making last-minute preparations.

With a projected storm surge of up to 14 feet, the barrier islands, and much of the city's historic downtown, would be underwater.

"We're looking at massive flooding," said police Capt. Terry Barcelona, whose Fort Pierce Police Department headquarters looked like a bunker fortified with sandbags. "Once it passes, we'll open the doors and see what's left."

At The Original Tiki Bar on the city's waterfront, owner Ian Lloyd sat at his empty bar and sipped cold Coors Lights with two of his employees. By the bar was a beach ball on which they had written an offer to give a free beer to whoever returns it after the storm.

"Who knows," Lloyd said. "Maybe they'll find it in Orlando."
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Best of luck to all of you in Florida. Remember, the storm will pass and the sun will once again come out, and you will once again be playing with Mickey & Minnie at WDW. I always like to look forward to the positive things.

All my prayers,
    Bill
    Enjoying the Magic every year since 1971!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be praying you all will be safe.
    Looking Forward to the Future...
    Nah its not easy, No one said it would be,But look behind ya, yeah im still here ;-)

aka/Piratesrider

Post Thanks / Like

As of 9:55 am I just heard someone from the National Hurricane Center say that he doesn't believe the eyewall will survive the next cycle which would really deplete the strength of the storm over the next 24 hours.

It's better to err on the side of caution and I think that just may be what will happen here.
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the same thing. There is also a large dry line between Frances and Florida and 2 high pressure ridges.

There are a lot of prayers being lifted for Florida right now. Let's keep the hope and faith they will be answered and Frances will cause no harm.

John, I'm happy you headed home. I do think that was the smart thing to do. Everyone in Florida do keep safe and remember we are praying for you.

[ September 03, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Donalds Duckie ]
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

Post Thanks / Like

My echo to everyone's sentiments, prayers and much pixie dust to keep all of you in France's path safe. We are all thinking about you and wishing you all a safe journey through this new storm. Please take care of yourselves!
    ºOº Dianne ºOº

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: