Quantcast Hurricane Frances Updates & News - Page 15

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

I had a friend ask how many times in its history has Disney World completely closed down. I figured that this board would supply me ths answer, since you're all so knowledgeable in Disney-ese! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Also, does anyone have any idea how much money WDW lost by closing?

My prayers are with all who are affected by this string of storms. My parents house in Ft. Myers suffered some damage from Charlie, but nothing major, and no injuries!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

God bless, and may the force be with you all!

Jeff

2004 CSR (first time!!) [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    2005 TBA

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    They park hours are on the front page. They've changed them 3 times since last night. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Glad to hear everyone is safe. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Someone must have gotten the wrong info to give out...the cast portal info was posted last night at 7 pm. Typical of an emergency. Too much different information.
    Walt Disney World Entertainment

Participating in the Walt Disney World Marathon...see my homepage for info!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Does anyone know about Miami International Airport, are they operational? I have a friend's relations going back down tomorrow afternoon. Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by jeffwarb:
    I had a friend ask how many times in its history has Disney World completely closed down. I figured that this board would supply me ths answer, since you're all so knowledgeable in Disney-ese! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

In the ten years I've worked there this is the closure history:

Hurricane Erin in '95 - parks closed early and opened late the next day

Hurricane Floyd in '99 - parks closed early and AK opened to resort guests the next day.

September 11, 2001 - parks closed early in the afternoon and reopened on time the nest day

Epcot closure - 2002 due to an electrical fire

Hurricane Charley '04 - parks closed early and opened the next day (with the exception of AK which was closed the day of and the day after)

Hurricane Frances '04 - parks closed all day Saturday and Sunday. Expected to fully reopen an hour earlier on Monday morning but the slow progress of the storm caused some parks to not open at all.

That's all I have. I'm sure there have been a few more early closures due to Hurricanes but not many. We seem to be on the end of thirty years of mild tropical weather and the beginning of thirty years of severe tropical weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard on the Weather Channel this morning that they are reporting $41 million dollars loss. That includes Disney, Universal & Sea World!

Post Thanks / Like

we are heading out on our disney vacation tuesday morning. what are the conditions like for the rest of florida? are current plan is to get a rental car, drive ourselves to the resort, and hit a walmart on the way for snacks and drinks. i've heard a few scary reports of no gas and bare shelves, how true is this? thanks!!

[ September 06, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: rnin02 ]
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

ive been at WDW a few times that they closed. 9/11 was once and another hurricane they closed the day i was flying out.
    i heard the $41 million lost total too for Orlando parks. i did see a picture of 1 hotel that was hurt in Orlando.
    in 1 way im thinking i shouldnt go on vacation w many in Fl and places who have suffered from Frances. in another way i guess i will be supporting some of the people w money spent while im there.
    i still havent booked transport from the airport to WDW ...did Happy Limo previously but i may be getting a ride back to airport Sunday. im wondering how the gas/transportation issues are now. and the food.
    everyone b careful.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Crow ~ We seem to go to WDW at the same time! We were there for Floyd, 9/11 and we are leaving tomorrow! LOL What are the odds of that? You weren't there last Oct. too were you? Have a happy birthday [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] Hope you still get to spend it at disney. (Sorry for going O.T.)

Back on topic: Please someone correct me if you think I'm wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with going to WDW this week. I grew up at a Jersey Shore town (Point Pleasant Beach) and we always had a love/hate relationship with tourists; people in Orlando might feel the same way. One thing I do know is that is was no fun when people didn't come. No tourists=no money. From the chambermaid to M.E. ~ all will feel the pinch (well, maybe not M.E. so much). Just be extra patient and generous.

Karen [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by rnin02:
    we are heading out on our disney vacation tuesday morning. what are the conditions like for the rest of florida? are current plan is to get a rental car, drive ourselves to the resort, and hit a walmart on the way for snacks and drinks. i've heard a few scary reports of no gas and bare shelves, how true is this? thanks!!
    Deliveries are already being made to stores. From what I understand they are working on getting gas into the state. There will probably be long lines for gas when you get here. Also, remember we are still having poor weather. We are currently under flood and tornado warnings (not watches). I'm looking out my apartment window and the ground is starting to dry but there are some lower areas that are already flooded.

Post Thanks / Like

We need you to come to Florida. Having lost so much from Tourism $$$ these past 3 weeks is a big ouch in our state coffers. Please come down and spend the moola or we'll have to start a state income tax. Evil thought
    The problem with the gasoline were the ports of entry Miami and Tampa. Miami shouldn't be a problem as far as shipment and Tampa should be okay by tomorrow. I do know that Gov. Bush signed an order about use of gasoline in the state:
    State Wil Control Gasoline Shipments
    From the Associated Press:
    Hurricane Frances left empty gasoline tanks throughout Florida, but as winds calmed and the first tanker trucks hit the road with fresh supplies, state and local officials were dictating where they went first.

Gov. Jeb Bush signed an order Sunday giving the state authority to regulate fuel supplies. It gives emergency workers, cleanup crews and military operations priority for the next week.

"We have a priority system," Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings said. "The first obviously are our first responders and our emergency operations people."

Jennings said the seven-day order should not be seen as rationing, but added that Floridians could help out by not driving for a few days.

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Digger Guest

I don't know about wal-mart, but we went to costco right before frances arrived and there was no shortage of anything, not even water. I don't know if you're a member of them or sam's, but it's an option if you're worried about supplies. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

We are finally pretty well in the clear. Woke up this morning to rain, wind, and tornado warnings all around. Cancelled our planned trip to TL, but right now the sun is out.

Video is now coming from news helicopters. The coast near Cocoa to Melbourne was tore up pretty bad. The steeple of a church is now impaled in the roof. The Cocoa Beach pier normally ends about 50 feet from the water. The storm surge completely covered the pier, as well as the first block or two inland. Many, many condos, hotels, and restaurants are now either demolished or without roofs. The sea brought sand through the first floor of many places. They said 70% of red lights are down in the area.

As far as inland, the is not as much new damage. About a million homes are without power in our area alone. Gas lines were long after Charley. They were long before Frances. They will be long after Frances. May even be longer, if it looks like Ivan will hit us.

We really love the tourists, but stay flexible. Ivan now looks as if it will be here next Sunday. If the parks close again, it will be no fun for anyone. I have a friend on the rideout crew. I'll try to pass along any info I hear concerning Ivan, but they probably won't know until about Friday.

Thanks, everyone, for all your support.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from working at the Studios...things look almost ready to go for tomorrow. It was mostly a lot of trees and stuff blown around. I learned the hard way today some tree branches have spikes on them (ouch!) From what I could tell there wasn't much damage. A gate door got torn up and some trees were lost but really the park looked pretty good for just having been thru another hurricane. It was weird being there when the park was empty though.

But yes...we're ready for everyone to come visit us again! NO MORE HURRICANES!!! IVAN GO AWAY!!!
    A.K.A-Angela (calamity jane is a nickname from bandit training)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "May the force be with you....cause I won't be."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Proud gangster...roaming GMR streets since 2003.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we are coming [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] On Saturday if Ivan lets us in. I am such a geek, I have been watching the weather channel all the time. It looks like Ivan is slowing down today. I am committed to the trip anyway. I wonder what the crowds will be like? [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Are Florida kids in school? I hope those of you that live in Florida are save and cool. See you all soon.
    Susy the Groomer
    Snohomish, WA

Can we go again? Can we go again?

Post Thanks / Like

In a normal year, crowds next weekend would be medium. However, this isn't a normal year by no means. So crowds will be unpredictable for awhile. Local area schools have announced that most will return by Wednesday. But any crowd depends on the big "I".
    -- AP since 2001
    -- Pop Century May 2005
    -- Pop Century July 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the schools are closed until Wednesday and some even until next week in the hardest hit areas.

I was a bit surprised that UCF (university of central florida..where I go) cancelled classes tomorrow but I understood once I knew how many people had left the state for the storm. Even before they cancelled school I'd gotten emails from two profs saying they wouldn't be back to school by Tuesday.
    A.K.A-Angela (calamity jane is a nickname from bandit training)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "May the force be with you....cause I won't be."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Proud gangster...roaming GMR streets since 2003.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear your all safe and everyone is trying to get things back to normal. I hope the whole experience has not been too painful. My thoughts are with you as you continue with your big clean-up.

Angie.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad all CMs and Floridians are safe this go around.We live 15 miles from Myrtle Beach,SC and we've been feeling the storms also.No cat 2-4 that you've been getting but SC and Florida is getting the brunt of them.I'm ready for the season to wind down. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] It's starting to get to me. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] I'm ready for my 4 days at WDW during Halloween. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Digger and Sally,glad to hear that all is well, and that you are returning back to some normalty. For the rest of our FLorida friends we are still praying and keeping you all in our thoughts as you continue to clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

Crow ~ We seem to go to WDW at the same time! We were there for Floyd, 9/11 and we are leaving tomorrow! LOL What are the odds of that? You weren't there last Oct. too were you? Have a happy birthday
    no Belle i wasnt there in Oct...Sept yes..
    hope your trip goes well too..ill wave to you.
    now to get some sleep and leave in a few hrs..
    here i come CMs...
    hmm now i just have to find a way to WDW from the airport..mayb call Happy.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM