Quantcast Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

Here are some links to photos I took from the monorail of the Contemporary North wing destruction. You can see that the end that faces Bay Lake is completely gone except for the frame.

Last edited by Figment!; 02-16-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Changed title from “destruction” to “demolition”
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's sad and exciting at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kaliepooh View Post
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?
    By a demolition crew

Disney is tearing down the North Wing to replace it with the a new section of the resort for the Disney Vacation Club.

Working titles for the new section include "DVC @ the Contemporary" and "Contemporary Suites".
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad and exciting at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. While I know that this is "progress" I can't help but wonder if we'll ever be able to afford The Contemporary again.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

Thank you much for the pics! I too and excited and a bit meloncholy about the change. I guess off with the old and on with the new.

Post Thanks / Like

Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?
    20-don't worry about it

My guess is a minimum of 5 years...I'm gonna guess that the place opens in 2011...just a guess. It's quite a large undertaking...and I'm not entirely sure that the demo of the north wing means they'll be building a tower immediately...from the demo permit that was leaked to the internet- it appears they would have to do alot of ground preparation to support a structure as large as the one proposed (a 14 story tower)...so this is definitely a long term type project

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project. For multiple reasons ...

First and foremost, I've had it with the DVC up to here. There's too many of them already and now they're ripping out existing resorts and converting portions of them to DVC. I don't like DVC, I don't want DVC, and now DVC is making it harder for me to stay in resorts I want to stay in.

Two, I'm sick of them spending every nickel that goes into the parks building new DVC units. How about you not waste MILLIONS of dollars on this project, leave the poor Contemporary alone, and build a GOOD NEW ATTRACTION!!

We get these lame-o new things like the Laugh Floor Comedy Club and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin on Steroids (i.e. Midway Mania) and meanwhile they sink hundreds of millions into ripping down a perfectly fine resort and building new timeshares. How un-Disney like.

And lastly, I think some ugly, 14 story tower built on that spot is TOTALLY going to ruin the carefully crafted asthetic of that area. The original Imagineers went to great lengths to properly position the Contemporary so it could be seen in the background of Tomorrowland. Now we're going to have some big, ugly tower smack dab in the sightline.

I think this is one of the worst decisions they've ever made and I hate it. I'm actually getting to the point where I hate DVC, too. Disney World is turning into some kind of ghastly time share resort like some classless place in Vegas or something. Terrible ... just terrible ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So....Wacky, how do you really feel about it?

All kidding aside, I totally agree with WDWacky.

I've never stayed at the Contemporary and have little desire to do so, but it is one of the originals and the architecture is true to the 70s.

If they want new DVC units, then they should build a new DVC resort or add a wing to an existing resort.

Those pictures are sad.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think that Saratoga Springs is the old Disney Institute ?
    I also agree that Disney has gone a little nuts on the on-site accommodations. Not just DVC locations, but Sprawling moderate and value resorts have stretched the infrastructure to the limits (dining, transportation, trash, etc.)
    This is definitely beginning to affect the quality and advantages of staying on-site.
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Actually, I think that Saratoga Springs is the old Disney Institute ?
    I also agree that Disney has gone a little nuts on the on-site accommodations. Not just DVC locations, but Sprawling moderate and value resorts have stretched the infrastructure to the limits (dining, transportation, trash, etc.)
    This is definitely beginning to affect the quality and advantages of staying on-site.
    Doh! You're right about SSR. Hah! I've even stayed at the Disney Institute before.

And yes, there are too many on-site rooms as it is, period. But with supply and demand, how much would a room cost if they did not have so many??
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you WDWacky. I have stayed at the Contemporary twice and loved it. I can't imagine how all those additional rooms beyond the original garden wing will effect the traffic and services at the resort. Heck I stayed there before the Convention Center was added and I think that had a major impact on the resort.

I don't have any issue with DVC in general, but when you start messing with the original resorts which are still very popular and limit the standard room offerings, that becomes a problem. What's next? Are they going to tear down parts of the Poly or GF next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    What's next? Are they going to tear down parts of the Poly or GF ... ?
    I'd say that's near a given.

My guess is, in the near future, at least one building each from the Poly and GF will end up being converted to DVC.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us J.C.&ALI'SMOM!
    Trips
    May 1996 - Polynesian Resort
    November 1999 - Polynesian Resort
    November 2003 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    June 2006 - OS
    January 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2007 - Disney Cruise Line
    January 2008 - Pop Century
    January 2009 - Wilderness Lodge

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of the posters on this thread that they should not be destroying existing properties for the sake of selling more timeshares!

My problems with the DVC are:
    There is a minimum 'buy in' of just under $20k. After that, there is a $500+ yearly 'maintenance fee' that you must pay. And, once you are a member, just try to quit.

Unfortunately, they have large numbers of people chomping at the bit to buy in, so they must build more DVC resorts to keep them satisfied.

Do you really get your money's worth out of it?

Spend the monies and complete PC:LY as family suites; update/upgrade attractions/rides; expand existing parks to follow Walt's original plans; etc. before making WDW so exclusive that only DVC members can visit.

Sorry, time to get off my soapbox!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contemporary

I am also very sad about the Contemporary. I had fond memories of staying in the "wings" of the Contemporary was I was younger with my family. I remember the Soda machines in the wing lobby with my first taste of Mr. Pib and Mellow Yellow. I remember the elevators that would get stuck at times, and the walkways to the game room in the main lobby. Who wants a 14 story monster there. The idea is for the main tower is to be the attraction with the monorail gliding through. A new tower will take away from the original imagineering and idea of the Contemporary.

Goofy Pilot Guest

I get a "bandwidth exceeded" picture when I try to open those links. But this sounds interesting, and I'd like to see it. Gotta agree with WDWacky, though: DVC is really getting to be intrusive of other paying guests' enjoyment of WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

[I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project."
    I agree enough with DVC put some money into MGM and save that park first.
    To many visits to keep track of.
    Finally Living The Dream!!!!!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: