Quantcast Official: Volcano Bay to Open 2017

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Official: Volcano Bay to Open 2017

From Universal's blog:
    Announcing Universal’s Volcano Bay – A Water Theme Park Unlike Any You’ve Ever Experienced

Today, we are announcing a project of incredible vision – bringing to life an entirely new water theme park experience for our guests. This addition will join Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure as our destination’s third highly-immersive park and will be called Universal’s Volcano Bay.

This is one of the most exciting projects we have had the opportunity to be part of because Volcano Bay will completely redefine the water park experience for our guests.

The park will feel as if it is set in picture-perfect tropical islands, formed by a massive volcano – and it will have something for every member of the family. It will feature radically-innovative attractions, peaceful moments of relaxation and an experience that we hope will change the way guests think about water theme parks.

We’ve already broken ground on Volcano Bay, just south of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Construction will move quickly, and the park will open in 2017.

Volcano Bay shows how Universal Orlando is continuing to evolve at an unprecedented rate that will not slow anytime soon. Since 2010, we’ve launched more than 18 remarkable experiences across the destination – from new attractions and theme park lands to new on-site hotels and restaurants. Our team will continue delivering new guest experiences that push the limits of theme park entertainment.

More details on Volcano Bay will be announced at a later date. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or via email for the latest news.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by John; 05-28-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

got to love how Universal can build an entire water park quicker than WDW can build Avatarland......
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. And, that's a very quick opening date.

Does Universal own Wet n Wild? Thoughts on whether they keep it open, make any changes? I can't remember how close it is to Universal to know if that land would be of any help to expanding Universal.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I find it amusing how similar this looks to Typhoon Lagoon, which ALSO has a volcano and is themed "island paradise". I kind of wish they had come up with something a bit more unique, but nonetheless, this will be a great addition to UOR as they really do need a themed water park as part of thier offerings.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, Universal is killing it with new rides, attractions, parks. They are definitely on the move and this water park looks like it could seriously add to an already impressive portfolio.

There is no doubt now, that they are not just a day trip - but a full fledged destination.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Wow. And, that's a very quick opening date.

Does Universal own Wet n Wild? Thoughts on whether they keep it open, make any changes? I can't remember how close it is to Universal to know if that land would be of any help to expanding Universal.
    Universal owns Wet N Wild... Rumor is WnW will close...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I find it amusing how similar this looks to Typhoon Lagoon, which ALSO has a volcano and is themed "island paradise". I kind of wish they had come up with something a bit more unique, but nonetheless, this will be a great addition to UOR as they really do need a themed water park as part of thier offerings.
    I have to admit, I did immediately see Miss Tilly when I saw this rendering.

But with that said, I think this looks gorgeous, and will look forward to it opening.

I'm in the midst of booking our first multi-night stay at Universal. Looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

They can build all of the attractions and parks they want, but until they teach their employees about customer service and respect...is not a family destination. Sorry, but I have yet to have a "magical day" while visiting Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdm@pga View Post
    They can build all of the attractions and parks they want, but until they teach their employees about customer service and respect...is not a family destination. Sorry, but I have yet to have a "magical day" while visiting Universal.
    I see folks saying this a lot, but I've never had an issue. We had APs for 2 years when we lived in Florida, and went often. There may not be as many "magical moments" (which one could argue have decreased in recent years at WDW), but the team members have always been nice, courteous and helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdm@pga View Post
    Never had this issue any time I have been at Universal. Do you get the occasional grumpy cast member - yep - BOTH at Universal and at Disney. But I do not believe the culture is such that Universal employees are less customer service friendly at all.

In fact, those working in the Potter sections of the park are far more engaged than most in the industry.

I'm not sure where the blanket perception comes from. It's just not true. I've been going there for 6-7 years now and have been both a Premium and normal AP holder and have stayed on site multiple times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Gotta say, Universal is killing it with new rides, attractions, parks. They are definitely on the move and this water park looks like it could seriously add to an already impressive portfolio.

There is no doubt now, that they are not just a day trip - but a full fledged destination.
    And, particularly if you stay on-site, it is such an easy trip. The hotels are so close that you do not have to pack a bag for a day trip ... you can easily walk back and forth between the parks and hotels if needed. Other than making sure you arrive a HP sections for early admission (at least for one day), there is no planning required. We have loved our Universal trips and hope to return next February.

I'm not doubting people when they say they have had bad customer service at Universal, but personally I have never experienced any. Maybe I don't expect over the top service at theme parks, but I have never been disappointed. I know that I have received excellent service at the Loew's hotels though.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Universal knows who the theme park leader is, and they have the proverbial pedal to the medal trying to catch up and overtake some of Disney's market share. This new water park is another pump on the gas. They have been fully committed to this full speed ahead mode for several years now. Disney, on the other hand, knows they are still number one by a large margin, and seem to be in coasting mode, with some fits and starts of hitting the gas now and then when they have to (i.e. new Fantasyland).
    This can be frustrating sometimes for long-time hard core Disney fans who want to see Disney doing just as much new stuff as Universal. Kinda like watching your favorite sports team with a big lead playing it safe, while the opposition seems to be going all-out to score on every play.
    So what will be Disney's next call? I know the Avatar play has already started, but it seems like it will be very slow developing.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait! It sounds awesome
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyman42 View Post
    got to love how Universal can build an entire water park quicker than WDW can build Avatarland......
    Yes, cause building it faster automatically means building it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melandrich View Post

Doesn't mean it also won't be excellent. Quick in our eyes may be an appropriate timeline construction wise... Unless you know something we don't.

Look, it's more of a historical statement. Disney used to be the fastest to market with rides, attractions and even parks. Heck they beat universal to building their studios in Florida.

But over the years, they have moved in house to out of house, gotten slower to development, and quite frankly become too comfortable with their market share.

Post Thanks / Like

Universal is building a water park?! I am shocked! I had no idea!

The line that really hyped out? Since 2010 universal has opened 18 attractions! Holy jumpin!

manutd1 Guest

Wonder how this will affect Aquatica or Wet n Wild. Those are the two parks it could take business from. I doubt Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach will be affected at all. To me, they are two of the best water parks i have ever been to. Aquatica was ok and wet n wild just seems...out of play now. It really doesn't make one want to go back anymore. At least compared to the others.
    Have to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, Wet n Wild is scheduled to close some time after this opens... So forget Wet n Wild...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melandrich View Post

Does building it make it better? No... What will make it better is the top notch attractions Universal builds inside Volcano Bay...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Never had this issue any time I have been at Universal. Do you get the occasional grumpy cast member - yep - BOTH at Universal and at Disney. But I do not believe the culture is such that Universal employees are less customer service friendly at all.

In fact, those working in the Potter sections of the park are far more engaged than most in the industry.

I'm not sure where the blanket perception comes from. It's just not true. I've been going there for 6-7 years now and have been both a Premium and normal AP holder and have stayed on site multiple times.

Ditto...I have been going there since 1992....almost every year....Never had a problem...
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: