Quantcast Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one am HAPPY DANCING!!! We are Marvel Comic fans in this house. I'm hoping that they will be added to the Studios - 1 or 2 cool rides, update the back lot tour, and add a character dining experience with some of the more popular characters.

DHS would then have 3 distinct lands - Pixar, Toon Disney (voyage of the LIttle Mermaid, Playhouse Disney), and then Movie land or Thrill land, or something like that with Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Marvel.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I really think this deal may have a hard time passing through antitrust regulators. It makes Disney's control almost too big, at least IMHO.
    they will easily pass antitrust....

first, disney owns no similar type products (comics/ mid to late tweeners/ advanced animation/ action adventure franchise)

second, they basically are evening up a little with time warner...so the path has been laid.

third, the government's focus is now with digital, electronic media right now....to purchased an established product company such as marvel does not tip toe the line of digital monopoly...which is where the sec/fcc/commerce focus has been of late.

my prediction is that it goes through without much of a hitch.

as always, disney is probably 10 years too late....as the real revenue generating juice from the marvel movie franchises has been well farmed out at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

This is quite interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. On the surface it just doesn't seem like a good fit. But, then again, maybe it is. Hopefully, Disney will leave them alone to run as they have, and just collect the licensing fees and royalties to help add to their own bottom line. I wouldn't expect to see any immediate changes from this though, at least not in the parks.

I kinda agree with lockedoutlogic's statement as well. Disney is about 10 years late on this. A lot of big money has already been milked from their most popular characters. Not that there's not more to be made, but a good bit has already been exhausted.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really sure how I fee about this...however. Could it possibly be a response to how popular the Disney Princesses are with girls? There's not a lot of "manly" (for lack of a better term) characters for boys and they can only stretch the pirates so far.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I kinda agree with lockedoutlogic's statement as well. Disney is about 10 years late on this. A lot of big money has already been milked from their most popular characters. Not that there's not more to be made, but a good bit has already been exhausted.
    Myself as well. While Iron Man 2 certainly shows promise, and I know they're working on Captain America and the Green Lantern, let's face it: Spider-Man and X-Men are by far Marvel's two biggest franchises and they've already been done to death film-wise. All that's left are the more obscure characters.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

as always, disney is probably 10 years too late....as the real revenue generating juice from the marvel movie franchises has been well farmed out at this point.
    I agree with this sentiment for the most part. However Spiderman 4 will open huge as well as future Iron Man movies and they could still develop some other characters into films. The Marvel Universe is huge. There is an Avengers movie in the works, which would lead naturally into a Captain America movie series. Thor is coming too.

I bet Marvel could make massive profits on just merchandising and licensing alone.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

This is in all honesty a better fit and deal than the one with Pixar. Marvel has thousands of untapped characters and storylines that Disney can access for TV, DVD and Movies. Coupled with their distribution through services like iTunes, they will reap untold rewards from this deal.

All existing licensing agreements will be honored, but I can guarantee you the one with Universal for IoA will not be extended past its current deal. It will run its course and Universal will be forced to spend hundreds of millions to redo the Marvel area of their park. You can retheme Hulk pretty easily but Spiderman will more than likely be leveled. Hell, Universal may just ask to end the deal early to prevent spillover to Disney once Disney starts really promotion this acquisition.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marvel

It may not be a big deal for Disney to own to marvel in relation to Universal Studios. It will most likely be a deal similar to the deal with MGM and the great movie ride. Disney lost the contract with MGM, and I have heard rumors that the ride will have to be changed eventually. Eventually i am sure that universal will have to change the land, but who knows when the universal/marvel contract expires. I speculate this acquisition may have something to do with the upcoming harry potter attractions at universal. Disney may want to develop something to compete with that and don't have time to imagine up and develop new characters. I am not anxious to see marvel comics at disney, but perhaps it will be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Myself as well. While Iron Man 2 certainly shows promise, and I know they're working on Captain America and the Green Lantern, let's face it: Spider-Man and X-Men are by far Marvel's two biggest franchises and they've already been done to death film-wise. All that's left are the more obscure characters.
    Capt. America = Marvel
    Green Latern = DC

The plan I believe with the Xmen franchise is to keep expanding - we've had the Wolverine focused movie which wasn't bad. I would love to see this continue. There are some really fantastic characters in Xmen. I would love to see an IceMan or Gambit movie. The guy that played Gambit in Wolverine was fantastic.

Some other popular Marvel Characters:

The Fantastic 4
    Blade
    Daredevil
    Ghostrider
    The Hulk
    and Punisher
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    All existing licensing agreements will be honored, but I can guarantee you the one with Universal for IoA will not be extended past its current deal. It will run its course and Universal will be forced to spend hundreds of millions to redo the Marvel area of their park. You can retheme Hulk pretty easily but Spiderman will more than likely be leveled.
    "Guarantee" is a pretty strong word, but you're probably right. I can't believe Universal would level Spiderman, though... it's still far too new a "dark ride" concept. If Universal Studios can turn "Back to the Future" into "The Simpsons", they should be able to remake "Spiderman" into something that still takes advantage of the technology. Maybe something based on their "Heroes" TV series.
    '76: Contemporary, 16 yr old w/parents
    '96: offsite, WDW's 25th B'day
    '01: offsite, Walt's 100th
    '14: SSR
    '16: Royal Pacific (Universal)
    '17: BWV (Food & Wine)
    '18: BW Inn (Engagement Party)
    '19: BWV(Food & Wine)
    '21: SSR (1st time as Grandparents)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    This is in all honesty a better fit and deal than the one with Pixar. Marvel has thousands of untapped characters and storylines that Disney can access for TV, DVD and Movies. Coupled with their distribution through services like iTunes, they will reap untold rewards from this deal.
    I don't necessarily agree. Marvel may have thousands of characters, but how many of them are people actually familiar with? It's probably a good deal for Disney in terms of distribution and licensing, but I can't see where Marvel has any major properties that are worth millions of dollars by themselves.

All existing licensing agreements will be honored, but I can guarantee you the one with Universal for IoA will not be extended past its current deal. It will run its course and Universal will be forced to spend hundreds of millions to redo the Marvel area of their park.
    Again, I can't see this. Why would Disney not allow them to renew it? I mean, they're making money off it, and paying Disney/Marvel for the use of those characters. Let them keep 'em. It does present an interesting dynamic though. In some way it kinda puts them in a partnership with Universal in that it behooves Disney for Universal to do well, so they can pay the licensing on those characters.

Hopefully, Disney lets Marvel function as a standalone without much intervention. They have a successful lineup, and a lot of characters to work with, just let them keep doing their thing, and then just recognize the added revenue. But please, please, please, don't mess them up like the Pooh characters, and The Muppets, just let them do their thing.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Why would Disney not allow them to renew it?
    This assumes that Universal would want to renew. Depending on what Disney might offer as renewal terms, Universal may not be willing to pay a king's ransom for the rights. As expensive as it might be to repackage the rides to a new theme, they'd have to do a business case analysis to decide the most economical path. Re-theming would also give the Super Hero Island area a face-lift and help to keep it fresh.

Don't underestimate the "{No thanks}" factor for Universal, either. You can be sure it would stick in their craw to have to make royalty payments to Disney for the Marvel rights.
    '76: Contemporary, 16 yr old w/parents
    '96: offsite, WDW's 25th B'day
    '01: offsite, Walt's 100th
    '14: SSR
    '16: Royal Pacific (Universal)
    '17: BWV (Food & Wine)
    '18: BW Inn (Engagement Party)
    '19: BWV(Food & Wine)
    '21: SSR (1st time as Grandparents)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

As far as making money from movies, way to go. There are several great projects in the works. Thor, Cap. America, The Avengers and the Wolverine sequel just to name a few.

I am concerned though about the actual comics. Many of the characters and stories live in a world that is very real and not exactly Disney friendly. It will be a very sad day when they begin to censor the content of certain books just because some suit gets an earful from a bunch of angry grandmothers.

A Punisher comic without guns, a high body count and a bit of nudity just won't be the same.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mouse 2 You View Post
    Don't underestimate the "{No thanks}" factor for Universal, either. You can be sure it would stick in their craw to have to make royalty payments to Disney for the Marvel rights.
    I wonder about that. Time will reveal all.

lockedoutlogic Guest

i see the car is already veering off the road on this one....

I willing to bet this ISN'T the spawn of disney embracing comic book characters and plugging them into parks....

this is about entering niche markets that they currently don't have....mainly boys and the more "adult" focused action based adventure market.

But what i don't see happening is towering X rides and Spidercoasters being constructed in DHS or any other parks....I also don't imagine that spiderman will be on the float with Mickey Mouse in the 3 o'clock parade...

They will probably only be truly active with marvel where they want to be....after the accountants do the books and deposits the checks.

As far as universal.....they will more than likely renew any sponsorship/license deals with the characters....at a premium. Those are fees for intellectual properties that cost ZERO, nada, nicht, nothing in operational expenses. Pure profit for profit's sake.

I caution everyone.....spiderman and capt america aren't being welcomed into the gates of the kingdom here....they're just being put on the ledger sheets.

I don't really think it fits anyway....

but go ahead....let the "5th gate - villians park - marvel heroland" rumors begin

Post Thanks / Like

Based on other readings, Universal owns the rights to the characters in use for theme park rides east of the Mississippi as long as the rides remain in operation. Obviously this means IoA isnt going anywhere, but it does free up character use at Disneyland.

And also, just because a character doesn't have blockbuster appeal, doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Blade was a third tier character and was quite successful. In the hands of the right writer and producer, a lower tier character can become valuable. Did anyone really think Iron Man would become the second most succesful non-sequel movie ever?

Also, I am foaming at the mouth now for Incredibles 2 with Marvel appearances
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I willing to bet this ISN'T the spawn of disney embracing comic book characters and plugging them into parks....

this is about entering niche markets that they currently don't have....mainly boys and the more "adult" focused action based adventure market.

But what i don't see happening is towering X rides and Spidercoasters being constructed in DHS or any other parks....I also don't imagine that spiderman will be on the float with Mickey Mouse in the 3 o'clock parade...

They will probably only be truly active with marvel where they want to be....after the accountants do the books and deposits the checks.

As far as universal.....they will more than likely renew any sponsorship/license deals with the characters....at a premium. Those are fees for intellectual properties that cost ZERO, nada, nicht, nothing in operational expenses. Pure profit for profit's sake.

I caution everyone.....spiderman and capt america aren't being welcomed into the gates of the kingdom here....they're just being put on the ledger sheets.

I don't really think it fits anyway....

but go ahead....let the "5th gate - villians park - marvel heroland" rumors begin
    Hate to say it, but I agree with almost everything you said. My one comment would be that there is room in DHS for a small attraction, maybe to take over the "Prince Caspian" area, that highlights the Marvel 'product.' Even so, it will probably be years before anything is hashed out.

What would Pixar do with the Marvel characters? I would enjoy seeing their depiction of some of the MU characters.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go here there is an interesting interview with Bob Iger about this on CNBC about 10 min long. http://www.cnbc.com/id/32626133
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula766 View Post
    I'm not sure how to feel about this.

As far as making money from movies, way to go. There are several great projects in the works. Thor, Cap. America, The Avengers and the Wolverine sequel just to name a few.

I am concerned though about the actual comics. Many of the characters and stories live in a world that is very real and not exactly Disney friendly. It will be a very sad day when they begin to censor the content of certain books just because some suit gets an earful from a bunch of angry grandmothers.

A Punisher comic without guns, a high body count and a bit of nudity just won't be the same.
    I don't think Disney is going to alter the Marvel Universe any. I mean they already own Miramax, and I wouldn't call Pulp Fiction "Disney-friendly."

I believe this is strictly financial, and is a GREAT move. As a long-time Marvel fan, I can honestly say that the past decade, or so, has been wrought with failures on the part of Marvel to properly market their product. I think with the guiding hand of Disney, their animators, and their brain trust, we could see a whole new world open up for Marvel again.

Meanwhile, Disney will rake in the profits from the Marvel imagery. My immediate reaction is that this is a win-win for 2 of my favorite entertainment brands!
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you in the short term, but sooner or later (and I think sooner) they will want to begin to capitalize on the Marvel franchise's ability to draw teenage boys to the parks. My 15yr old son still likes to go to WDW...but there really isn't a whole lot of the park themed to reach his demographic grouping.

Now to veer the car further:

My guess is that the entry point will be DHS...with the appearance of "hot super characters" at the opening ceremonies within a years time of the closing of the acquisition.

As for the next point of entry...at some point in the not too distant future someone will finally recognize that Aerosmith is too old to rock and the ride will be rethemed...and maybe the retheming won't be some intercot speculated band (say Spinal Tap).....but as a journey into the underworld where one encounters supervillians under the escort of the superhero du jour.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: