Quantcast Pandora: is it just me?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pandora: is it just me?

Or does anyone else "have a bad feeling" about this land?

I don't know why, but I feel like Disney knows this land is going to flop...hard.

Maybe it's because they chose poorly when they made this deal with James Cameron. Maybe they expected all these supposed sequels to have been released already and there would be a LOT of interest at this point when, in reality, there just isn't.

We have been inundated with promotional material for this land and it's like they are trying so hard to hype it up and convince everyone how "spectacular" it is. I don't know...it has been like, what, 7 years since they announced this and all I've seen are some rocks and plants. Hardly mind blowing stuff (when you compare it to something like Diagon Alley). It looks like the rest of AK. Waterfalls, plants (ooh...some are plastic and glow in the dark...big whoop), rocks. Yawn.

And honestly, who really has been "dying" to ride a banshee over the same landscape? Or ride a river boat through the same landscape again. It just seems so one dimensional.

I am usually super excited about new Disney parks stuff but there is literally nothing about this land that makes me care enough to even go see it. I might never bother, to be honest.

I feel like Disney knows this will be a hard sell and that is why they are doing SO much press for it. They are even airing commercials here in CA to visit WDW for Pandora this summer. That's crazy.

In contrast, at least they are building Star Wars lands too. Those will be a massive hit, no press needed. They will have to beat the hoards away with a stick...or resort to timed ticket entry, at the very least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2. Likes Clay Ransone, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just you... kidding....

This land is going to be great... beautiful... theme of attraction doesn't matter, as long as the attraction is awesome.. i still think the boat ride will be the crown jewel...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

5. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My family has zero interest in this new land, to be completely honest. Will we check it out on our next trip? Absolutely. But we are hardly excited about it and surely wouldn't plan a trip centered around the new land. Never been a fan of the avatar movie to begin with and was never excited about the land, even when first announced. I actually still wonder what they were thinking. I guess I just never "got it".

For me a big problem is how long Disney takes to create these new areas in the parks. And then after it taking so long to complete I often find myself feeling let down by the final product. Even new things that I am initially excited about, it seems I loose interest before its open to guests. My family feels the same.

Now, when Star Wars land opens we will be the first in line booking a trip to go. I just hope we can maintain interest and excitement for that long! Lol. I know my hubby and son will.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I dlm't think you alone Natalie. I was asking my boys about FP+ for our next trip and they said to stay with the usual. They have zero interest in the new rides/land probably because they're not fans of the movie.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

8. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Just you... kidding....

This land is going to be great... beautiful... theme of attraction doesn't matter, as long as the attraction is awesome.. i still think the boat ride will be the crown jewel...

I don't know...I think people have higher standards now for theme park lands and attractions. And less of a tolerance for mediocrity.

And the theme surely does matter, especially when you use an IP that lacks broad family appeal in a family theme park like Animal Kingdom. Without an understanding of what you are experiencing, it's hard to enjoy a ride. Splash Mountain seems to be the perpetual example of "no one saw the movie but the ride is hugely popular." There are two issues with this line of argument. 1. Splash Mountain uses animatronic characters and colorful backgrounds to mimic the look and feel of their classic animated movies so it will automatically appeal to kids. 2. Splash took a popular ride style (log flume) and plussed it up Disney style and put it in where there previously weren't any rides like it. Thus, it was destined for long term success.

As I see it, Pandora will have a boat ride for all ages just like the many similar boat rides all over WDW property. What will make this one stand above the rest? What will draw kids to seniors to enjoy it, not having seen the movie? The banshee ride, same thing. It's going to be a variation on Soarin' with a slightly different seating position. But then you fly around Pandora...again, if you didn't see the movie, what would make this interesting? I saw half the movie and gave up because I was bored to tears. I certainly won't wait in line for either of these rides. Glowing plants don't impress me...sorry.

Natalie

10. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks BEAUTIFUL! I think you don't need a movie tie-in to have a good attraction.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that if you are going to spend that much time and money on a new land it should have more than a 2 major things to do in it. I know it is beautiful but what will keep people in it for more than an hour or two.

13. Likes BrerGnat, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't wait for our upcoming trip to see Pandora
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VacationDisney View Post
    We can't wait for our upcoming trip to see Pandora
    I don't have plans yet but I'm trying to make them for the week Pandora opens just to see the land.... I really think this is going to be spectacular, moreso than Toy Story Playland which has had so much theme cut from it, it will look silly....

Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    I think it looks BEAUTIFUL! I think you don't need a movie tie-in to have a good attraction.
    I agree that you don't NEED a movie tie in. I really wish they had just made the mythical land they had proposed all along (dragons and unicorns and such). That would have been amazing because they could draw from their extensive library of creatures and created a land centered around them.

My issue is using a movie of questionable broad appeal and staying power to base an entire land around. I think Avatar was a foolish choice here.

Natalie

17. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    I feel that if you are going to spend that much time and money on a new land it should have more than a 2 major things to do in it. I know it is beautiful but what will keep people in it for more than an hour or two.
    Not to mention the retail opportunities. I bet those banshee and Navi plush just sit and gather dust on the shelves. Give it a year until it's a shop selling generic Disney merchandise like all the rest.

Natalie

19. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not just you. Even on a TEN HOUR flight, neither DW nor I could make it through that terrible movie. There is zero interest in Avatar in my family and we were shocked when the construction was announced. Even after seeing the promotional information -- meh. I guess our biggest hope is it attracts some of the crowds away from the good stuff.

21. Likes BrerGnat, ASweetLov, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My family thought the movie was magical and immediatly said it would be a great thing for disney to do!!!
    Soarin is one of the most popular rides in the world and I will love another version of it!! What I do not understand is the obsession with frozen.....and i have three girls. Rode it once and do not care if i ever do again. Leaves more space for those who love it! Hope those who do not like pandora will show us the same courtosy and the crowds will not be crazy. But I doubt it.....everyone wants to see what is new at disney.

Post Thanks / Like

We are SO excited for Pandora. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, didn't hate it or love it. DH loved it. Personally I really like the mythical side and love pairing it with the conservation message. I"m far more excited for this then star wars.

I also have a friend in the disney company who has walked through the land and said its truly spectacular.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We couldn't care less about the movie. We have tried several times to watch it but completely lose interest and stop watching. However, I don't really care what the them is as long as the attractions/rides are good. I am looking forward to seeing the boat ride even though I hate the movie.

25. Likes John, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not getting all the "Debbie Downers" on this....You haven't even given it a shot and you are trashing it...or at least saying that you are disappointed or not thrilled with it.

As far as comparisons with the movie...I give up! This is the land of the Na'vi, the indigenous humanoids on the planet who actually care about their ecosystem and meld with it. Forget about the mining outfit and the "war" from the movie. Enjoy the "moon" Pandora for what it is...The plant life, the animals, the colors, the spectacle, the connection between its people and the ecosystem. This is EXACTLY what Animal Kingdom is all about.

As far as number of attractions/rides...Dinoland has what? One? Africa? Two - Kilimanjaro Safaris and Lion King. Asia? Three - Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Finding Nemo. Camp Minnie-Mickey prior to Pandora? Pocohantas and Lion King. One closed years ago, the other moved to Africa (where it belongs)

Sorry, not buying the complaints. Off my soapbox now.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

The second Avatar movie is slated to drop in 2018. The original Avatar does seem like a bit of a distant memory in light of the recent success of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars movies. However knowing James Cameron, my guess is that it will be another $1B+ epic. In my mind that's almost perfecting timing for the launch of Pandora. Lots of cross-promotional opportunities here. I bet those kids who aren't interested in Avatar because it was "a little before their time" will be asking to go to AK next year.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

28. Likes MNNHFLTX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    The second Avatar movie is slated to drop in 2018. The original Avatar does seem like a bit of a distant memory in light of the recent success of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars movies. However knowing James Cameron, my guess is that it will be another $1B+ epic. In my mind that's almost perfecting timing for the launch of Pandora. Lots of cross-promotional opportunities here. I bet those kids who aren't interested in Avatar because it was "a little before their time" will be asking to go to AK next year.
    James Cameron JUST said (like a week ago) that the sequels are delayed again. It will NOT be 2018.

Natalie

30. Likes baldburke, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are split.. just as we were on the movie.
    I enjoyed the movie and she absolutely hated it.. same split for the Land. She doesn't think it even fits with Animal Kingdom, and I think It's a perfect fit.. needless to say we disagree.

But think Globally.. this is the largest grossing movie of all time. Lots of people will want to go see the floating rocks and ride a banshee. I think it may even draw in crowds that formerly didn't have much interest in AK. No, it isn't for everyone but those Sci-Fi fans will probably think it's pretty interesting.. at least a couple times.

That said I don't see it drawing massive crowds just to see it, and I think that some management would probably (secretly) wish they hadn't entered with Cameron.. He is supposed to be a major PITA to work with/for.. but he is very controlling and protective of his visions, which I respect even if not everyone has the same vision.
    "No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I am not getting all the "Debbie Downers" on this....You haven't even given it a shot and you are trashing it...or at least saying that you are disappointed or not thrilled with it.
    You made me reflect and reconsider my thoughts on the subject.

I'm almost 40, but I love Peter Pan's flight. Why? I mean, come on, it's an old-fashioned, slow-moving, kinda boring dark ride. *ducks and dodges rotten tomatoes* BUT I enjoy the ride because of the nostalgia, and remembering how I felt as a kid when I first saw the Peter Pan movie. There is a strong emotional connection.

Then I thought, on the other hand, I love Splash Mountain, but how many of us (even the older among us) have seen Song of the South? I didn't see it until just a few years ago, and mostly out of curiosity about the controversy surrounding it. Then I thought about the many, many attractions that are NOT based off movies at all.

Okay, so I didn't like the movie, but it's not fair to prejudge what is being constructed in AK. It might be awesome. (It might not be.) But instead of my original plan of avoidance, instead I'll go and see it and keep an open mind instead of being a Debbie Downer.

33. Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: