Quantcast AKL Cashless Test Run

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AKL Cashless Test Run

Disney will begin testing in early February to not allow cash transactions in stores and restaurants.

Courtesy of DVC News
    Beginning February 12, 2018, Jambo House at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas will eliminate most cash transactions throughout the resort. Accepted payment methods will include MagicBands, credit cards, debit cards, Disney Gift Cards and Disney Reward Redemption Cards and contactless payment options including Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.

Cash deposits will be accepted at check-in to fund room charging options. And cash will continue to be accepted for gratuities by restaurant services, bell services, valet parking attendants and other applicable staff members. However, payment for all other resort services--including dining purchases by guests not staying at the resort--must be made via an accepted cashless payment option.
    What do you think?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2. Thanks Figment! thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay by me. I rarely have cash in day-to-day life and never, ever at Disney World.

From an operations standpoint I can see why it makes sense. I managed a Starbucks a long time ago and the amount of time and money spent on cash handling, management, security, etc is significant.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I try not to take out my wallet there. Just use the band, get the bill at the end.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Okay by me. I rarely have cash in day-to-day life and never, ever at Disney World.

From an operations standpoint I can see why it makes sense. I managed a Starbucks a long time ago and the amount of time and money spent on cash handling, management, security, etc is significant.
    Not only is it more expensive to handle cash for the merchant, Customers spend a lot more $$$$ when they are using invisible money. Don't think Disney is overlooking either one of these points. it's all about the bottom line.

So I totally get it, but I'd still feel a little P.O.'d if I pulled out a fifty and any merchant said, "Sorry sir, we don't take money". That's the way of the world though, we are headed toward a cashless economy. After all, making money (printing currency and minting coins) is a waste of money.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

7. Likes Mendelson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like this plan at all. For one thing, I've seen too many people get into financial difficulty because of their reliance on credit cards, MB, etc.-they make it so easy to use, then you get the shock when you get the bill. We're among the few that use cash as much as possible-bring X amount of money, watch how much of it is left and how much has been spent. The trouble with credit cards was defined by a millenial I heard, "I like plastic money-after you use it, they give it back and you can use it again. Real money you can only use once, then they keep it."
    My concern is what if a family comes in to visit the resort. While there, hunger hits and they head to Mara to get a bite to eat. When they get to the cash register (or whatever it's now called) they pull out their cash and have it denied. They either don't have Magic Bands, have them but not set up for charging, no credit cards with them, hate to charge, etc. In that scenario, sale lost?

9. Likes ChipDale2708, Speedy1998 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems inconsistent (although perhaps understandable) for them to say they are "cashless", yet allow you to apply cash to your room account. That, in essence, means they accept cash at the front desk. Will they also accept cash to purchase gift cards? I have to think that that, at least, has to be a possibility somewhere in Jambo House.

Visitors to the Lodge will be the ones most likely affected by this.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like this plan at all. For one thing, I've seen too many people get into financial difficulty because of their reliance on credit cards, MB, etc.-they make it so easy to use, then you get the shock when you get the bill. We're among the few that use cash as much as possible-bring X amount of money, watch how much of it is left and how much has been spent. The trouble with credit cards was defined by a millenial I heard, "I like plastic money-after you use it, they give it back and you can use it again. Real money you can only use once, then they keep it."
    My concern is what if a family comes in to visit the resort. While there, hunger hits and they head to Mara to get a bite to eat. When they get to the cash register (or whatever it's now called) they pull out their cash and have it denied. They either don't have Magic Bands, have them but not set up for charging, no credit cards with them, hate to charge, etc. In that scenario, sale lost?
    Again, just a new change of thinking. Should have you MB on anyways. Why wouldn't you? Besides, more and more things are going away from cash, or at least encouraging it. American Airlines is trying this out at some of their airports. Many airlines, already, can't use cash for inflight purchases.

If the masses can be trained on fastpasses, and all the other intricacies of staying at disney, then this is just one more smaller thing.

As far as the "financials of using credit cards" and using cash to prevent those issues. I get it. But the world is changing, and cash is fading. Phones, other devices, accounts, used to pay and operate (such as you don't need an airline ticket, only your phone and eticket), are changing how we operate. Not to mention, it is in their interest for you to spend a lot...
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

12. Likes PopPhan, Mendelson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Again, just a new change of thinking. Should have you MB on anyways. Why wouldn't you? .
    Maybe you're staying at an offsite resort-last time I checked, even guests not staying in Disney could visit Disney resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have you MB on anyways. Why wouldn't you?
    An offsite guest dining at an AKL restaurant wouldn't necessarily have a magic band. I have family visiting during this pilot and they are staying offside, but have dinner at Sanaa one night. I know the test is at Jambo, not Kidani, but just using them as an example of guests who will not have magic bands. I informed them to have other forms of payment besides cash should they visit Jambo also. So no, not all guests will have magic bands.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use my debit card, but also use cash at times. Not sure I like this plan, especially if it goes park wide.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Not happy. I realize that the world is moving away from cash but it is my go-to for vacation savings. Tuck a tweny away here or there and it adds up. Sure, i can get a gift card but then i have to spend it at disney. What if I need it off site, in the airport or to get my car out of the garage? Mandating how I make a purchase annoys me and just adds to my stress level of planning for 'vacation'.
    Sorry for the rant..

Post Thanks / Like

Then it sounds to me, that everyone, no matter what will be buying magic bands.. Benefits Disney. Just one more step to reaching that goal.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Then it sounds to me, that everyone, no matter what will be buying magic bands.. Benefits Disney. Just one more step to reaching that goal.
    You can't actually use a Magic Band to charge purchases if you aren't staying on property and have your room account set up to do so. There may be a number of reasons Disney is piloting this, but selling additional MBs isn't one of them.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    You can't actually use a Magic Band to charge purchases if you aren't staying on property and have your room account set up to do so. There may be a number of reasons Disney is piloting this, but selling additional MBs isn't one of them.

Steve
    As it stands now. But Im saying, just watch. They'll steer everyone to that. It isn't just selling MBs, but funneling the money that way as a channel. Maybe they'll have you charge them w/ giftcards, etc. Using your MB, getting the masses all switched over, opens up so many more possibilities for them. Better analytics, new programs they'll come up with.

THey need to figure out how to jump on the cashless bandwagon, and finding their niche that is self-serving, well, so much the better.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's against the rules, but I say this is bull****.

Disney has had MULTIPLE, ALL DAY outages of MagicBands and room charges (MULTIPLE!) where Disney was even holding people's dining credits hostage and requiring everyone to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement. Their technology is terribly unreliable, and I have had only 1 out of about 15 resort folios in recent years to not stop allowing charges for one technical difficulty or another. And while my backup payment is usually my Visa, I understand that not everyone has plastic.

Disney simply cannot be trusted to rely on their own technology as the exclusive payment method anywhere.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

21. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, just a new change of thinking. Should have you MB on anyways. Why wouldn't you?
    What if you aren't staying onsite and just want to browse the gift shop? What about people who live in Orlando and just want to eat there?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    I am one of those people that doesn't use a credit card. If I don't already have the money for it, I won't buy it. Yeah, I have to save money up before I make big purchases, but I find it to be way better than paying interest to someone else
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

24. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When my boys were young they would get their money to spend. They would count it over and over to see what they could buy or what they had left, it was a learning experience for them. Any money they had left was theirs to keep, can't do that with a gift card.

Another thing, last week my MB erased my charging privileges midstream (and my AP). Paid cash and had to go back to the front desk, also have had kiosks in Epcot WS accepting cash only because of WiFi problems.

Disney knows people spend more when they charge than when they spend cash (which is why so many are in debt). I like having the option.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Sure what better way to get people to spend more by not seeing what they're spending...But either way it would be fine by me as I use credit cards for 95% (maybe more) in my every day life...
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    What if you aren't staying onsite and just want to browse the gift shop? What about people who live in Orlando and just want to eat there?
    Then use a credit card. I'd be willing to guess that between cards and magic bands, should cover most people.

I don't see Disney doing a big thing here. Just slightly ahead of the curve. Moving to no cash. My comment about the MB's was simply about moving even more people to them (those that use cash a lot).

I'm willing to guess the people who use mostly cash are a very small minority. The sheer cost of everything, probably drives this. I dont walk around wish much cash. Maybe a couple of hundred bucks, tops. So, there are so many purchases at WDW, and in general the cost of everything, you'd have to walk around with too much cash. So, I'm sure CC satisfies most people, and probably only inconveniences a small portion of the audience. Real small.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings