Quantcast Thoughts on Fastpass+

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on Fastpass+

Nope, I’m not here to discuss whether or not you like the Fastpass+ system. It is what it is and it doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere so, if you’re going to Disney World, you will likely need to use it.

Here are tips from my experience and perspective. Keep in mind that my trips typically include two adults traveling together – without children. Therefore, getting in to see Anna and Elsa are not at the top of my list. In fact, none of the character meet and greets are typically critical to my visits so you need to take this perspective into account as you read what I have to say. Typically, we always stay in a Disney property so I will not be speaking to using the system if you are staying outside of Disney.

First off, to use this system you are going to need to do some prep work. That prep work will need to be done before you come to the day when you are eligible to book your fastpass+ reservations. Here are the things that need to be in place ahead of time:
    1. You have set up a My Disney Experience account To do this, you will need to go to the webpage and set things up.
    2. If you are staying on Disney property, make sure your resort reservation is linked in your My Disney Experience account.
    3. Link your park passes to the My Disney Experience account. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to make Fastpass+ reservations unless you have a valid park pass linked to the account. So, if you were planning to wait until your arrival on Disney property to purchase your park passes, you’ll be out of luck in booking fastpass+ reservations ahead of time. Pretty cool way for Disney to make sure they have your money sooner, rather than later, isn’t it?
    4. Link your My Disney Experience with all of your traveling companions. In my case, this meant that my husband created a separate My Disney Experience account and we sent “invitations” to each other to link ourselves together. Actually, the first time we used My Disney Experience, we were also traveling with three other family members (two adults and a child). This was right around the same time that Fastpass+ was introduced. We found it a bit tricky to get us all linked up together. It took more than one “invitation” and try but we got it all worked out. This linking will allow one person to make reservations for the entire group. Keep in mind that everyone in the group you are trying to select needs to have valid park passes linked to their accounts. There are several options for who can view what information. This is what the Disney site says about linking with other people:
    My Family & Friends List
    Add people you are traveling with to your Family & Friends list so you can secure FastPass+ selections together, and to simplify sharing dining reservations and other plans. Pick which Guests to add to each new plan you make—the choice is yours.

Once all this is set up, sit back and wait until you are almost 60 days from your date of arrival. At that time, you’ll need to figure out your strategies. Do you want to be at your computer at midnight (Eastern time) on day 60 and make your fastpass+ reservations as soon as the window opens? Or do you get a full night’s sleep and wait until morning? The last time I booked fastpass+ reservations, I chose to wait until morning. My reasoning? Since other people can book for the length of their reservations, they’ve already had a shot at securing their fastpass+ reservations for at least the first several days of my next vacation. Plus, I’ll be a much happier camper if I get a full night’s sleep. And, as noted earlier some, but not all, of the really “hot” fastpass+ reservations are not on my must-do list.

Fastpass+ allows you to book 3, and only 3 fastpasses in advance of your arrival. Additionally, all 3 need to be in the same park so you can’t book one at Epcot and 2 at the Magic Kingdom. However, once you have used your first 3 fastpass+ reservations, you can book additional fastpasses (one at a time) at an in-park kiosk. Keep in mind that you must be physically present in the park to book these additional fastpasses. To be honest, thus far, I have not booked any fastpasses beyond my original 3. However, this means you need to make a few more strategic decisions about your vacation.
    1. Do you book all 3 early in the day so you can use the kiosks later in the day?
    2. If you park hop, do you book all 3 in the first park you visit in the day or in the second park of the day?
    3. Do you like to sleep in and want the passes for later in the day or would you rather use them up earlier in the day and then go back to your resort for some swim time?

Strategies in place, it’s time to book your fastpasses. You’re at your computer. You sign in to your My Disney Experience account. You select Fastpass+ from the menu at the bottom. That will bring you to a screen that gives you three choices (1) New fastpass+; (2) Update fastpass+; (3) Cancel fastpass+. Since you’re booking, you’ll select New fastpass+. All the folks you can book fastpasses for, should show up. Click on the people you want to book a fastpass for and then click “Next”. On the next screen, select the park and the date. Click next. The list of available fastpasses for that date will show up along with information on which fastpasses are no longer available (Others have already selected the maximum number of tickets available for the ride or attraction for that date). Choose the three you want and click on “Next”. Four options will come up. Look at the times AND ATTRACTIONS listed and select the group that best fits your needs. Don’t despair if you don’t like the times. Also, keep an eye on the attractions. Recently, when I was selecting fastpass+ options, the 7 Dwarves Mine Train disappeared on option 4 and was replaced with Splash Mountain – a selection I did not make!! In some parks, like Epcot rides and attractions are grouped into tiers so you can only select 1 ride/attraction for the first group and 2 from the second group. For example, in Epcot, you can’t select Soarin’ and Test Track on the same day.

Once you click on “Done”, you’ll see that you have the option of modifying the times for each individual attraction you’ve chosen for that day. You’ll have the option of manipulating the time you arrive at each ride or even your ride selection (within limits). Sometimes, you’ll have to move a couple of ride times around to get what you want. If you don’t get what you want, you can continue to check back to see if the ride/attraction or time you want opens up later.
    I’d also suggest you print out the information that shows the rides you’ve selected as well as the dates and times. Technology isn’t perfect. If the My Disney Experience is down while you’re at Disney and you haven’t noted which ride you’re supposed to be on when, you might miss the rides you’d booked.

So, this is my primer and my thoughts on the fastpass+ selection process. I’d love to hear more about how others have approached this – particularly when you’re dealing with kids of different ages who want to ride very different rides or have been trying to manage the process for a group of several different families traveling together!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2. Thanks rt207 thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've worked it very similarly. However, for us, if all the adults are on one reservation or you aren't staying on property, we find it easier to have everyone on the same account. So for this upcoming trip I'm the only one managing the trip, all the tickets are linked under my account. We find it easier to share our log in/password if someone else wants to make changes then to deal with multiple invitations/linking accounts.

Hope that makes sense!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

5. Thanks rt207 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Printing

I'd add that right before your trip make yourself a little index card with each day's FP+ and any dining reservations to tuck in your bag. I know for example yesterday the MDE website was down for a good portion of the day.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

7. Likes CarrieAllie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good summary, Linda. Thank you.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    I'd add that right before your trip make yourself a little index card with each day's FP+ and any dining reservations to tuck in your bag. I know for example yesterday the MDE website was down for a good portion of the day.
    Or you can screnshot your FP reservations from your phone and then use the photos as your daily lock screen wallpaper. That's what I do.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

10. Thanks rt207 thanked for this post
    Likes CarrieAllie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice primer on this. I certainly will refer to it my next trip.

I still wish they had just left well enough alone though...
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Or you can screnshot your FP reservations from your phone and then use the photos as your daily lock screen wallpaper. That's what I do.
    Nice idea!!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Genius!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did last time and then I sent it to everyone else in my family in a text message so that in case we decided to separate, we knew where to meet up next.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

We buy disposable cell phones to bring to the parks (leave the good ones "secure" at the resort). Can get them pretty cheap on sale. This way don't risk something happening to my cell (which while backed up, would be a major pain in the ark could be done at considerable time).

This way if they fall in the water or whatever, no big deal.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    We buy disposable cell phones to bring to the parks (leave the good ones "secure" at the resort). Can get them pretty cheap on sale. This way don't risk something happening to my cell (which while backed up, would be a major pain in the ark could be done at considerable time).

This way if they fall in the water or whatever, no big deal.
    Hmmmmmm.....certainly something to consider.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I just used the FP+ system for the first time. I had everything linked and set up. I had noted all of the options and which day we were at each park on a virtual stickie on my computer so it was right on the desktop as I was planning. I woke up at 5:45 so I could get online at 6:00 am. It took me exactly 20 minutes to plan five days' worth of FastPasses for 4 people. On one of our days 2 are going to AK and 2 to MK. I was a little worried about that. The system was smooth though, and I didn't have any problems. Planning ahead really helped! If I can do it, anyone can!
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

18. Thanks Genie1953 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confused about booking only three FPs. Is this per day per park or total before trip? Can I not book 3 FPs for each day/park of a 5 day trip?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    I'm a little confused about booking only three FPs. Is this per day per park or total before trip? Can I not book 3 FPs for each day/park of a 5 day trip?
    If you are staying on Disney property, you can book three fastpasses per day 60 days prior to your arrival. If not staying on Disney property, you can book three fastpasses per day 30 days prior to arrival. All of your fastpasses on any particular day need to be at the same park. For example, if you are going to the Magic Kingdom on Monday, you can book three fastpasses at the Magic Kingdom but can't book two at the Magic Kingdom and one for Epcot on that day. You can book three for the Magic Kingdom, use them and then park hop to Epcot. Once you arrive at Epcot, you can book another fastpass in Epcot. Alternatively, if you use all three of your fastpasses at the Magic Kingdom and remain at that park that day, you can book a fourth at the Magic Kingdom when your first three are used. You could even book a fifth after you have used your fourth. To continue the example, if you planned to go to Animal Kingdom on Tuesday, you could book three fastpasses at that park for that day and so on, for each day of your trip.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

ONe more question. Does the 60 day mark apply for each day of trip or just for first day. For example can I make all fast passes for the entire trip on the one 60 day mark prior to first day of trip, or do I have to do 60 days from the second day and so forth.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    ONe more question. Does the 60 day mark apply for each day of trip or just for first day. For example can I make all fast passes for the entire trip on the one 60 day mark prior to first day of trip, or do I have to do 60 days from the second day and so forth.
    You don't have to do it one day at a time - you can do it for all days of your reservation when you reach the 60 day mark from your arrival. Also, you don't need to do the fast passes en masse - you can select 2 fastpasses for 2 members of your party and 2 other fastpasses for 2 other members of your party so not all members of your party need to have the very same fasttpasses.
    [email protected]

23. Thanks thejens thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I work 3rd shift so making FP+ at midnight is no big deal, but I'm glad that I can do the entire trip at one time.
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

25. Thanks Genie1953 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post
    Thanks for the info. I work 3rd shift so making FP+ at midnight is no big deal, but I'm glad that I can do the entire trip at one time.
    FastPasses no longer open up for booking at midnight, they now become available to book at 6am Eastern time, just like dining reservations.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

27. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    FastPasses no longer open up for booking at midnight, they now become available to book at 6am Eastern time, just like dining reservations.
    Good to know! I'm still at work then. I'll have to adjust my alarm to make sure I don't forget.
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

I have an excel sheet where I keep everything straight for our trip. The first thing I note are the Extra Magic Hours. I make our park choices based on whether or not we plan to use EMH and indicate it in the spreadsheet. I do this before the 180 day mark. Then I make my dining reservations based on the parks were we will be. I add the reservation numbers to the sheet. Then I can sit back and relax until it is time to make Fastpass reservations. I already know what my first choices are and am able to try for those. I note these in the spreadsheet. I always print and take the sheet with me on our trips just in case something happens to our phones. I also take a screen shot of all the reservation numbers and print that out. I know that it is all stored in the My Disney Experience but I like looking at everything on one spreadsheet for planning purposes. I don't like having to click back and forth while I am dealing with something that is time sensitive, like making ADRs or Fastpass +. I store all the documents in google chrome and make it so everyone in our party can edit and I leave a "notes" section where people can comment if they want to make a change. It keeps everyone in the loop without endless emailing back and forth. We travel with family members from all around the world and we are all in different time zones. It's more complicated than most trip planning. I am almost always making dining and fastpass reservations for a party of 8. That means a lot more planning ahead because it is harder to get big groups together. I can almost always get us all Fastpass+ reservations together but they are often in different but overlapping windows.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: