Quantcast Cost cutting moves? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Cut costs?

My compensation, as CEO, would be no more than 10x that of the lowest paid castmember. All castmembers would be on the same bonus plans, health plans, etc, regardless of pay grades or prestige.

Increase revenue?

Advertise that my compensation is linked directly to the lowest paid castmembers, because I believe that the marketplace will celebrate a business that really does things differently and is willing to tell the world all about it.
    Honestly, I believe you are 100% correct.

I'm actually completely flabbergasted that no one has been smart enough to try and actively position themselves in the marketplace as the "Anti-Coporation."

Reasonable CEO pay, no outsourcing, no offshoring, committment to good customer service ... go old school. I swear you'd corner the market overnight with the way public opinion is right now.

In my mind, that fact alone just goes to show how inept, brainless, and out-of-touch most corporate execs are these days. They come from this cookie-cutter model where A happens and you do B and there is no innovation or real leadership occurring.

Having seen it from the inside, I can tell you that corporate America is rotting from the top down.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Actually Rusty, part-timers do get seniority. We get it based on our location, line of business and time in the company. I've got 2 years with the company, but just over 2 months in Entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of going old school! There is not a single one of us here who hasn't experienced a decline somewhere in service.

Disney needs to prove it is THE destination for families. Raise youre standards, raise your services, but not your prices UNLESS it is directly tied to a MAJOR improvement.

How many of us would go more often if room rates were 1/3 less than they are now? How bout admission?
    Proud to have Served.
    ...and may God continue to bless America...
    1 trip to Disneyland
    23 trips to WDW..off -site, Contemporary, G.F., Poly, POR.
    Next up - Road trip 2014 with the Kids!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Again, I think it just goes to show how brain dead Corporate America has become.

In the face of overwhelming negative public opinion, no one has stepped up and said, "You know what? The American people are right. This system is totally out of whack and our company is going to do something about it starting today."

No ... what do they do? Business as usual. Cost-cutting, offshoring, more for less ... in other words, the same failed leadership strategies that have driven us to the mess we're in today.

I mean look at what happened with AIG!! They get BILLIONS in taxpayer money to stave off disaster and what do they do?? Spend half a million dollars on some fancy corporate retreat where the execs all get massages and eat like kings. Absurd!

But yet it's standard practice. These execs have just become so out of touch and so ... intellectually dull, I guess ... that there's just no real innovation, risk taking, and new thinking out there.

I think someone is really missing the boat by not taking this idea to the house.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justice11 View Post
    don't pay the bigwig CEO's so much money. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes agreed this needs to be number on on their list.

Notice how the first cuts always come at the cost of the customer, service, or employees.
    Last trip Thanksgiving 2006. Next trip Thanksgiving 2008
    God gives us free will. Choose wisely

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess18 View Post
    Notice how the first cuts always come at the cost of the customer, service, or employees.
    That's surprisingly true. If you look at major companies and examine their executive compensation in relation to company performance, there's very rarely any real link. Frequently CEO's will end up making more money in down years than they have in past productive years.

Honestly, I have two words for you to explain the root cause of all these problems ... "stock options."
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I don't know why everyone thinks cutbacks need to be the answer here. What started me going to WDW on a regular basis was the overall value I received for my money. I would increase incentives to visit the parks rather than cutback on the experience. Afterall this was Walt's Philosophy. It seemed whenever I was looking to go on vacation and priced things out and looked at my options Disney always came out the front runner. But the more they cutback, the less value I get for my money has me looking into other options. When a famil;y is budgetting for a vacation they are looking for value and the more fun they get for their money the more likely they will be willing to return.
    I completely and totally agree. Cutbacks are not the answer here. The last few years have been great to WDW with very high visitation numbers. They're still making plenty of money now - just not quite as much as they have been. In an economy where people are cutting back on their vacations, people need a reason to still go to WDW instead of staying at home or visiting less expensive destinations.

By cutting park hours, attractions, entertainment options, and overall quality while simultaneously increasing prices, Disney is telling me that I should expect less and pay more. We have a trip planned for January, but honestly with all of the cuts the magic is just not really there right now.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Word is now that Disney has ordered drastic cutbacks on the detail work for the new AI show at DHS in order to rush it on line as quickly as possible.

Supposedly, a lot of the fancy facade work has been scrapped, the large video screen won't be on top of the building as planned, the light show won't be as spectacular. They're apparently jettisoning anything not deemed critical so they can get the show up and running by the new year. Give people something a reason to show up.

More typical short-term thinking.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Word is now that Disney has ordered drastic cutbacks on the detail work for the new AI show at DHS in order to rush it on line as quickly as possible.

They're apparently jettisoning anything not deemed critical so they can get the show up and running by the new year. Give people something a reason to show up.

More typical short-term thinking.
    Agreed, sounds like short-term thinking, but I really don't think it will matter too much. I think the AI show is going to be flash in the pan, kind of like Millionaire was. And, considering that AI is the only attraction (known to be) in development right now, I think they might struggle for the next year if the economy continues to be sluggish. With Universal and SeaWorld both adding high thrill roller coasters next year, WDW might have trouble getting repeat guests after the newness of AI wears off, especially in the local market.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

DHS is becoming more and more a must skip park for me... It's been a number of years since we've been to USF (something like 8 or so) I think we'll be giving them a look see on our next trip.

I've always felt they actually try to attract customers, and I've never had an issue with their guest satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    2) Putting some rides that draw less traffic in a reduced or even closed (temporary) status. Things like, Carousel of Progress, Sounds Dangerous, Conservation Station.

I think first of COP is an icon so it cant be closed- Conservation station is a good way to divert some crowds- But it could be beefed up actually-
    Sounds Dangerous is good to get out of the hot weather but not really worth going to- But they use that theartre for other things like Star wars etc.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I think the AI show is going to be flash in the pan, kind of like Millionaire was. And, considering that AI is the only attraction (known to be) in development right now, I think they might struggle for the next year if the economy continues to be sluggish. With Universal and SeaWorld both adding high thrill roller coasters next year, WDW might have trouble getting repeat guests after the newness of AI wears off, especially in the local market.
    I agree totally.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

As others have posted, to cut costs you:

1) Cut park hours
    2) Close some attractions
    3) Create sub-standard new attractions
    4) Cut entertainment schedules & staff
    5) Raise ticket prices

And as your final step, Take down the "Welcome to Walt Disney World " sign and replace it with "Welcome to Six Flags"
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Agreed. The last thing I want to think about or do while I'm on vacation is clean my room. One of the best feelings in the world is coming back after a long day in the parks to a spotless room, and the housekeeping staff excels at getting this done. If cutting staff is necessary to cut costs, this is not the department to do it in.
    I must be one of the few that would rather not have housekeeping come in. I like to make my own beds (including using my own sheets). We don't make a mess in the room or bath area.

I would be happy to just have clean towels delivered upon request (perhaps a dirty towel bag could be supplied with each room and clean towels can be swapped for the dirty ones). And a supply of soaps, shampoos, and lotions given at the beginning of the stay that would last the whole time would satisfy me. Afterall, I don't clean my bathroom floor every day at home. I don't vaccuum every day at home. (I do make my bed daily, as soon as I'm out of it.)

If the resort were to supply some surface disinfectant, I'd be glad to swipe the bathroom surfaces each day, it only takes seconds. I do that daily in my own home.

Personally, I don't want housekeeping coming in and rearranging my stuff when they clean around it, and <<gasp>> I don't even need towel animals!

So, if Disney were to cut back on housekeeping, that would be fine with me.

Deb
    POFQ, Oct. 2007

Post Thanks / Like

1) You people try and close CoP and I'm liable to have a world-class temper tantrum. I love CoP!!! That attraction is not only an icon in the park, it's a Walt original. I ride it several times every time I go, and while it isn't usually packed to capacity, there's always a good number of people in it. (Last time I went during EMH, it was almost entirely full)

2) Fastpasses- Please oh please don't suggest stooping to Universal's level by selling Fastpasses!! I wrote my term paper last year on why Disney was a more family friendly park than Universal, and that was one of my main points. I can't remember the guy's name, but one of Disney's imagineers was quoted saying something along the lines of: "People shouldn't come to the parks and be able to buy their way out of waiting while people who can't afford it are stuck waiting in long lines." He was so right! There are people who have to spend years saving up to go to the parks, to give their kids some of that magic. You shouldn't give people who have money to blow the right to lord it over those who don't. Fastpass should be free and available to everyone, just like it is now.

Besides, if they did that, there's the potential for an awful backup of people all wanting to go on the same ride at once. Can you imagine if everyone bought a FP for Soarin and headed over there first thing in the morning? Disney would have a mutiny for not being able to let all of those people on!
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a simple idea that will help get some of us that live great distances from DW and drive, offer a fuel rebate based on distance from world and where you live.

For those that fly work with the air industry to offer reduced ticket rates and suspend the cost per bag that would apply for those families that just cannot travel with a single bag plus a carry-on.

Offer ticket discounts for larger families with more that two children. For those with two children raise the minimum age for the child to adult ticket price ( 13 yrs old ) I think that 10 is just to low.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

cut back on executives pay & bonuses. rather than cuttin the lower based workers
    Housekeeping doesnt have to make up my room every day.
    COP its an original. gotta stay in some form.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    8. Alter the pay-scale for employees so they are salaried. This way they can work more than 40-hours with no additional compensation (Thank WalMart)
    Wouldn't work. Thanks to Wage & Hour laws and regulations an employer can't just declare someone as a "salaried" or "exempt" employee to avoid overtime pay.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

In the past, they give discounts to Florida residents and people from other countries. Why not try to intice the rest of us in the United States? It has gotten so expensive to go to WDW (travel, lodging, food & passes...especially annual passes). If there was something that would allow us to go again, we would jump at it. Say a buy one, get one free annual pass.

Whatever it would be, with the current economy, it would need to mean real dollars saved and not a bump up to more features.
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I'm sorry, but I think buy one, get one for theme parks is just tacky. That's a sign of desperation. Even on my tight budget (full-time college student, and Disney CM), I wouldn't be enticed.

Heck, I'm not even enticed by the buy one day come back all year at Sea World.

And while cutting back isn't the best answer, it's what will work for such a short period of time. I don't mean to say that I would make them permanent. But it takes a lot of money to do studies and surveys to increase promotions and marketing to bring people here.

Overall, the suggestions I had were to decrease costs without spending additional revenue.

I think Disney could balance a paid Fastpass system with a regular Fastpass system. Let's say they normally give out 1000 Fastpasses an hour - make 600 of those paid and 400 of those free. The 600 would be on a card similar to the Dream Fastpass - one use per attraction. Once used, they would need to use stand-by entrance. The 400 would be able to get Fastpasses for the same ride, aside from following the normal exisiting guidelines (every hour or two, or until the time on the current FastPass has passed). Plus, one the guests with the express Fastpass have gone on all the ride, they'll most likely shop or visit another park - where they would have to buy another express pass for those attractions. Or they'll go eat, or to a water park.

There are a lot of things they could do for long-term, but they would involve spending more money and it takes time to see a return on their investments, which time is not something that is favoring companies because the value of the dollar today could go down in the time it takes to see a profitable return for a particular investment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: