Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 26

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    I know just feeling the woe is me right now. I'll be better soon. I hope. Lol
    Hang in there! Take the time to recover and you will bounce back in no time. Your muscles will remember your previous training.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Checking in....

How is everyone's training?

Mine is going real well. Did my first 10K race with PR a few weeks ago. I'm signed up for a 10 miler for 11/9 and the training for that is good. I'm up to 8 miles now.

I am pretty sure I'll be ready for the 5K, the 10K, then the 1/2 (what was I thinking?). Then #cheerICOT for the whole (apparently there is a snicker requirement from our fearless #runICOT Christine who is doing the whole).

Is anyone else doing the whole have special requests? I have to work on my signs!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello!

How is everyone's training going? I'm doing good. I think I'll be good for the 5 (walking with hubby) 10 (walk/run) and 1/2 (struggle but doing it).

Saw all the merchandise on the runDisney boards. I have my runICOT T shirts ordered.

But even after all the illness and hospital stay, I'm IN. Less than a month away, my friends!
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Glad ur training is going good. See YA and everyone real soon.
    Enjoy the holiday season everyone.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    How is everyone's training going? I'm doing good. I think I'll be good for the 5 (walking with hubby) 10 (walk/run) and 1/2 (struggle but doing it).

Saw all the merchandise on the runDisney boards. I have my runICOT T shirts ordered.

But even after all the illness and hospital stay, I'm IN. Less than a month away, my friends!
    Glad you have recovered. I am good for the 5K and we'll see what happens for the 10k. I'm pretty sure I can finish but I'm not going to be fast. I just have not been training enough. Definitely planning a run /walk at a moderate/slow pace.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10k

So this thread needed to be woken up.
    Today is June 8th, 2015, 7 months away from the WDW Marathon weekend 10K.
    Since I have been dealing with shin splints,I have been taking it easy, but today started a new program. It's a real easy slow program to begin and i'm basically starting from scratch. Below is the program i will be following .
    7 MONTHS FROM TODAY!!!!

from Jeff Galloway's web site:

Jeff Galloway 8 Week Conditioning Program (for those who need a little more fitness before the half or full marathon training program begins) Note: if you need several weeks at each run/walk ratio level, take it. This pre-conditioning training should not be stressful or painful. When in doubt, ease off

Week 1 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 10 min run/walk
    Tues: 15 min walk
    Wed: 13 min run/walk
    Thurs: 18 min walk
    Fri: off
    Sat: 1 mile run/walk
    Sun: off/walk
    Week 2 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 15 min run/walk
    Tues: 20 min walk
    Wed: 17 min run/walk
    Thurs: 22 min walk
    Sat: 1.25 mi run/walk
    Week 3 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 19 min run/walk
    Tues: 24 min walk
    Wed: 21 min run/walk
    Thurs: 26 min walk
    Sat: 1.5 mi run/walk
    Week 4 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 23 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 28 min
    Wed: 25 min run/walk
    Thurs: Walk 30 min
    Sat: 1.75 mi run/walk
    Week 5 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 27 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 30 min
    Wed: 29 min run/walk
    Sat: 2 mi run/walk
    Week 6 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 30 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 30 min
    Wed: 30 min run/walk
    Sat: 2.25 mi run/walk
    Week 7 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Tues: walk 30 min
    Sat: 2.5 mi run/walk
    Week 8 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Tues: walk 30 min
    Sat: 2.75 mi run/walk
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Justin and Dawn! Slow and steady is the best way. You don't need to add a lot of miles right away. The 10K training plan for the WDW weekend is an 18 week plan that would start sometime in September. On the program, you wouldn't start hitting 4 and 5 miles until November. Happy training!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

any tips for running back to back races? I'm running the 10k & half in Jan. Then the next week doing the rebel challenge. What training plans are good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcam326 View Post
    any tips for running back to back races? I'm running the 10k & half in Jan. Then the next week doing the rebel challenge. What training plans are good?
    The Jeff Galloway plans on the runDisney site are good ones to follow. He will likely have one set for the Rebel Challenge and just start it a week early. If not, pull the Dumbo Dare one and adjust the dates for your event time. Do your best to save steps during the days leading up to the runs. That is the hardest part for me.

The run/walk/run Galloway method is also a great way to train and make sure you complete the event upright and injury free. Lately, I have been using this to reset my form which tends to break down the more tired I become. I use very short intervals (you would need to figure out what works for you if you choose to do this). For me, I currently run 45 sec/walk 22 sec. I know it sounds short, but it works for me. They sell timers that you can set to keep track of your intervals, you can set it to beep or vibrate or both. Mine is the Gym Boss.

Make sure you are taking in your nutrition (what every you prefer gummies/gels) at approx. 45 minute intervals and that you also replace electrolytes as you go, by sipping both water and Powerade or Gatorade. This is also very important during training as well.

I would foam roll if not my whole legs at least my calf muscles before the event, I'd roll out my whole legs after. If ice baths help you recover, do those, too. Stretch out if that works for you, but do not over stretch. Treat the 10K's the day before the half marathons as easy training runs.

For me, the hardest part would be that interim week - do your best to not wear out your legs and feet too much. So hard to do b/c I know you will want to enjoy the parks.

These are things that have worked for me. I do not see any reason to train any differently for the 10K and Half one weekend and then the same the following weekend. I think that is reasonable to do, the hard part will be making sure you are healthy for the next weekend because of what you do during the week. What I mean is, your run set up is fine, it is what you do when you are not racing that will make the Rebel Challenge, well, challenging.

Pay attention to the areas prone to chafing and those hot spots on your feet while training. I use body glide on my toes and that helps keep those blisters away. Another thing, compression leg sleeves. I've used them on longer runs and have worn them after for recovery, I have also worn them on long plane rides. They seem to help. You may want to give them a try.

Let me end by saying that these suggestions are what have worked for me. Everyone has to figure out what works best for them. Your training time is a great time to try out what works for you. You are going to have a great time!

Another mental thing I did to help me in training for Dopey- on my runs, I would think, "THIS is the Dopey". The event is not just the few hours you run from the start to the finish line. This event is all of it, beginning from your first training run.

Thrilled for you!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help. I didn't think about park time. I'm currently doing intervals. It does work. I had a knee injury in the fall of 2014. I don't want to injure it again. So I'm taking things slow.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Galloway Rebel Challenge training plan to run this past January's Rebel Challenge. It worked for me. The only thing I would've done different is not spend all day Saturday after the 10K in the park. All the walking and standing on Saturday impacted my run on Sunday some.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all cer and brownie's advice. My biggest downfall is spending too much time in the parks on Friday before the 10K and Saturday before the half. I've done several challenges and you would I would have figured this out by now! Stay off your legs as much as possible is the best advice. Since this is your trip to DL, the temptations will be great to spend long hours in the parks. If you can, do your park days after the races.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try and remember to take it easy. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The Galloway training plans for the 2016 Marathon Weekend are posted on the runDisney site.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for restarting this thread!

First 10K is Saturday and planned to use it for proof of time in the Princess - training was kind of Hulksmashed (wrong race, I know) due to family sickness and a strained muscle last week. But I'm doing it ANYWAY and praying for the best!

Switched my program from the Active training (which was great but I think a little too intense for 10K training for me) to Jeff Galloway, doing a 1:00/1:00 walk run.

Do any of you have long car rides pre-race?
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey MushuGrl

Quote Originally Posted by MushuGrl View Post
    Thanks so much for restarting this thread!

First 10K is Saturday and planned to use it for proof of time in the Princess - training was kind of Hulksmashed (wrong race, I know) due to family sickness and a strained muscle last week. But I'm doing it ANYWAY and praying for the best!

Switched my program from the Active training (which was great but I think a little too intense for 10K training for me) to Jeff Galloway, doing a 1:00/1:00 walk run.

Do any of you have long car rides pre-race?
    Sorry about your struggles in your race/training. How did your race go? I am recovering from surgery and can start running on 7/6. I really liked the Jeff Galloway for my first few runs. My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.

No long rides for me but I've heard compression socks work very well during long rides. When we drive to Virginia every Thanksgiving I use them. Also make use of bathroom breaks to quick walk.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    Sorry about your struggles in your race/training. How did your race go? I am recovering from surgery and can start running on 7/6. I really liked the Jeff Galloway for my first few runs. My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.
    I'd consider reversing it, run/walk in the beginning and then switch to just running. You might find it'll make the running only part easier.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default You're right, Brownie of course

I've been thinking..... you're right. I may even break down and get Jeff to eCoach me as well. This is my first marathon. I want to finish with a smile on my face. I have a few 1/2's under my belt. I'm not doing the 10 or 1/2 (choosing to #cheerICOT for those races). Being in the north at the end of the training will get me at a disadvantage. Training for the 1/2 last year was difficult because of the weather. Slush, -10 degree wind chill, etc.

On another note, I am allowed to walk so I put 5 miles in a few times this week. My DH Jon went with me tonight. I decided I'm OK with him not being a runner. Love the man, really. But I like to ENJOY the run.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Read Galloway's Marathon: You Can Do It! book. It was helpful. This will be my first marathon and I'm not running the other races, either. I'm going to cheer the 5K and 10K, but not the half (trying to save my legs the day before the marathon).
    Steve (aka brownie)
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default #cheerICOT

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Read Galloway's Marathon: You Can Do It! book. It was helpful. This will be my first marathon and I'm not running the other races, either. I'm going to cheer the 5K and 10K, but not the half (trying to save my legs the day before the marathon).
    #cheerICOT is just as much fun, will you cheer with us at Boardwalk/EPCOT? I got to talk about my running journey for a video for the national Fleet Feet conference held here in Pittsburgh a few weeks back. Check it out. I'm referring to Christine https://youtu.be/Fn0hDS9Z26A I showed it to Christine and she was saying training in the snow must be miserable. That's the problem with living in the northeast and training for a January race in Florida. We get snow, sleet, slush, ice. And our city is full of bridges that we run across for our training. Bridges over freezing rivers with the wind taking your breath away. But I wouldn't trade it.

Some day, I may Dopey. But first I have to Coast to Coast. Hopefully 2016 is the year I do it.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)