Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

so terribly sad. will be staying tuned for more info. thoughts and prayers for the driver, his family and the whole disney family
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Living in DC and having a similar thing just happen here on our metro system... what are the chances the same thing would happen twice in a few weeks time. Especially given both systems have collision avoidance systems.

Wierd.

My thoughts go out to the cast members family and the entire WDW team. It's pretty horrible to have a tradgedy like this happen on such an iconic system/ride.

You have to wonder how long the system will be down as well - and if those two rail cars will ever see the light of day again.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Is it just me or has this just been a ridiculously miserable past month or so?

Consider all of the following that's happened:
    1. Air France crash kills 228 people off the coast of Brazil
    2. A Yemenia Airlines plane with 153 people on board crashes into the sea off the Indian Ocean
    3. A train wreck on the D.C. metro system kills 9
    4. Michael Jackson dead at 50
    5. Billy Mays dead at 50
    6. Farrah Fawcet dead at 62
    7. Ed McMahon dead
    8. Karl Malden dead
    9. Steve McNair shot to death at age 36
    10. WDW monorail crash kills 1
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the CM who was killed. Also to all those others who were involved. I am sure it will be something they will be replaying in their minds for sometime to come. I hope it can be determined what caused this.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Breaking News

There was minimal information about this on the news this morning. Thank you all for the details. It will be important to learn exactly how this was able to happen with all the safeguards Disney has in place. This is a real tragedy and my prayers are with the driver and his family.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend just texted me and told me the news...this is horrible. I am so sorry for the drive and his family. RIP
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sad news. So what happens when something like this happens? Does the Monorail system close down for a while for an investigation?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Currently the monorail is not running and buses are being used to take its place.
    My heartfelt condolences to the friends and family of the driver and all those involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I was just thinking the same thing. There's sort of an eerie feeling in the air with all of these tragedies and deaths.

My prayers for the CM's family and everyone else involved in this horrible accident.
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

How very sad. Thoughts and prayers for the family.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

This from Wiki.

Train safety
    Safe train spacing is maintained via a moving blocklight system, referred to as MAPO, installed in the cab of each train.[4] MAPO appears in the top center of the pilot's console and looks similar to a horizontal stop light. There are three lights—green, amber, and red—and a push-button labeled "Override". The term "MAPO" itself comes directly from Walt Disney, who formed a new company to deal with Disneyland's transportation system directly from the profits made by Mary Poppins.[9]
    Each monorail beam is divided into blocks based upon pylon numbering. The currently illuminated MAPO color indicates how far ahead the leading train is currently located. A green MAPO shows that the leading train is 3 or more blocks ahead, amber means 2 blocks ahead, and red indicates that the next train is in the very next block. A block is roughly between 500 and 1000 feet (about 150 and 300 m) long, although this varies. The start of each block is called a "hold point", as pilots may need to hold their trains at that location until the train ahead moves away. Guests riding in the front cab of a monorail can identify hold points by the yellow reflective tape around a pylon's number and by two yellow reflectors attached to the top outside edges of the monorail beam at that pylon.
    For safety, trains must be kept at least two blocks apart during normal operation. A red MAPO indicates that train spacing has become unsafe. When a red MAPO occurs, the train's on-board computer locks out the pilot's propulsion control and applies emergency brakes. The pilot cannot resume control of the train until either the MAPO clears or the pilot presses and holds the MAPO override button.[4]
    It is the pilot's responsibility to avoid a red MAPO during normal operation. When the MAPO switches from green to amber, this indicates that the monorail is approaching the train ahead. The pilot must stop the train before crossing into the next block of beam way and hence before the MAPO switches to red. Should a pilot cross the hold point and receive a red MAPO, this counts as a safety demerit against the pilot. If the pilot ever has three demerits on their record, then they will be transferred out of the monorails department and into a different role at Walt Disney World.[10]
    Safety tests are performed daily to ensure that the MAPO system is working properly on each train. At the direction of the monorail station conducting the test, each train will intentionally overrun a hold point to verify that a red MAPO occurs and that the emergency brakes activate. Pilots perform tests in forward and reverse when bringing a train onto the system for the first time that day, and a forward test is again conducted mid-afternoon. The indications are called into Monorail Central with the emergency brake pressures.
    A red MAPO will also occur when the pilot approaches a section of un-powered beam, a spur line, or a switch beam thrown in the direction of a spur line. Pilots must engage the MAPO override when moving trains through a switch to the spur line. MAPOs occurring due to safety tests, switching, or beam power loss do not count as demerits against the pilot.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    This is simply aweful. Hope they can soon determine the cause, and implement any necessary system improvements to prevent this from ever happening again.
    Ditto! This is so sad.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Default deadly Disney World Monorail accident

My thought and prayers go out to the driver's family and to all that were down there....

So sad that this happened...thankfully it was not worse than it was....

much sympathy to the family of the driver,

The Morse family
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

this really has been an unfortunate month!

thoughts and prayers =[

and i hope everything from here goes smoothly with cleaning up the accident and getting the monorails back and more safer than ever soon enough.

i go to college only 1 metro stop away from where the crash was in DC a few weeks ago. im home in my real home in NJ but to think that mass transportation crashes have happened in BOTH my other homes really crushes me.
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Have they released the name of the driver yet? My husband's family has a dear friend who drives one of the monorails for WDW. We have not been able to reach him yet. Please let us know if anyone find out the name of the driver!

TIA
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

Oh goodness, that video is awful. How sad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment78 View Post
    Have they released the name of the driver yet? My husband's family has a dear friend who drives one of the monorails for WDW. We have not been able to reach him yet. Please let us know if anyone find out the name of the driver!

TIA
    They have....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2802055.story
    Jessica

Next Up - Aug 09' Wilderness Lodge
    98-08 - Shades of Green
    80-97 - Poly, CR, ASSports and family Condo at Daytona Beach.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just awful! I don't understand how it happened, hopefully they will be able to figure it out. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the CM.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

So sad! I didn't think this could happen. I'm so sorry for the driver's friends and family, but I'm also glad that it was late and the monorails weren't packed. Only 8 people aboard. This is agonizing to see. What a nightmare for Disney.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That video is awful. It's almost like watching a movie; like my mind doesn't want to accept the reality of that situation.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: