Quantcast branson mo question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default branson mo question

from websites it appears that most of what to do in branson is shows and attractions. Is there enough free stuff to do there to keep us entertained for 5 days? or will we have to come up with a higher budget to do a bunch of shows and stuff? I was thinking that branson would be like Gatlinburg/Smokies.. with the mountains and such that cost nothing. What are some not to miss shows/attractions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's enough free stuff for 5 days. Definitely not like Gatlinburg with the mountain trails. If you like to shop there's some of that, and I guess you can window shop for free, but it's mostly shows and eating.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The main draw to that area is fishing in Table Rock Lake (bass) or Lake Tanycomo (trout). The Shepard of the Hills Passion Play is also nearby.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

As previous posters have stated there is not enough stuff for 5 days.

They do have Silver Dollar City amusment park which is a good day event and Celebration City amusment park, and White Water water park.

These do cost as well as a number of cave tours.

In the surrounding area they have a number of civil war battle grounds for tour, I think for free as well as the Bass Pro Shop which is in Springfield that is about 35 miles north of Branson.

I would check the Chamber of Commerce web site for Branson for recommendations.

It is beautiful in and around the area there.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that there's not much to do for free except certain Table Rock Lake activities. Most of the rest of the town is tourist oriented with tons of shows and roadside attractions, which can get expensive very quickly. Silver Dollar City is a wonderful theme park, but it can be expensive for a single day. Note that the Celebration City amusement park has been closed for many years. There is a water park and combination tickets with Silver Dollar City are available. Note that the Passion Play is in near by Eureka Springs Arkansas, while Shepard of the Hills is an outdoor stage show outside of Branson based on the novel of the same name. Eureka Springs would make a great and low cost day trip with lots of art galleries and historic areas, parking can be difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Now I don't know what to do. My husband and I are celebrating 20 years in November and want to do something nice. Branson is a place we'd never been and we'd heard nice things about it. Doesn't Route 66 run thru or near it? Anyone ever travel it? I couldn't find it on the atlas my husband has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IwannabeinNarnia View Post
    Doesn't Route 66 run thru or near it? Anyone ever travel it? I couldn't find it on the atlas my husband has.
    I-44 replaced US66. You can still drive on parts of it along that route. It goes through Springfield.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

My family used to vacation in Branson quite a bit when I was young. We used to fill a week easily with a lot of pool time, visiting the fish hatchery, touring caves, riding go carts, renting pontoon boats & RidingThe Ducks at the lake, and playing miniature golf. All these things are still available but most do cost a little. With the reinvention of Branson and all the stars and shows down there, things are much different these days. It’s been a few years since we’ve been down there but I have several friends who go quite frequently. I e-mailed one tonight and this is her reply:

“Branson can be a fairly economical vacation or a very expensive one. If you enjoy the shows, they have family passes at several so you can save money that way. Table Rock Lake has some public parks and swimming areas. There are also numerous places to rent boats. Silver Dollar City and White Water are two amusement parks that are very popular. There is a pretty decent forum for Branson at www.1branson.com. Hope that helps.”

I’m hoping that it’s OK to have these links here since it’s for Branson, MO – and not a Disney site competitor.

Hope you find lots to do in Branson and have Magical-Missouri-Vacay!

Maria
    1980?–DL,1988 – DL,Nov. 2002(off-site),Oct.'04 WL, Oct.'07 WL,Feb. '09 Poly, Feb.'10 Poly,Dec. 2010 Contemp., April '11 DL. Sept.'11-Poly, Dec.'11-Yacht Club , June '12- POFQ,Aug. 2012-Disneyland ,Oct. 2012 I-15 BC NEXT UP: April 2013- The Disney Fantasy Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

We actually live in between Gatlinburg and Branson and visit both. They are very different in that we can go to Gatlinburg and walk the city, visit the National Park and just maybe do a couple of attractions like the Aquarium etc. We enjoy walking the town and taking in the mountains without having to fight the terrible traffic with our car. Branson is very different in that you pretty much have to drive and fight that traffic because it is much more spread out (similar to Pigeon Forge)although they do have a modern mall/river walk with a small Bass Pro shop. We find that we spend much more money in Branson than we do in Gatlinburg. We like both Silver Dollar City and Dollywood and both are beautiful theme parks. I would say they are both worth the money and you can usually find a deal to get in. Dollywood doesn't promote it but usually gives a pretty good discount if each person brings a coke can with them (or at least they did last time we went.). Like someone said, Bass Pro in Springfield is worth the drive if you go to Branson, and if you are a history buff then take the drive to Pea Ridge National Battlefield or Wilson's Creek Battlefield and Eureka Springs is unique and artsy and you can spend a day walking it.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, if you will be in Branson in November I highly recommend you look into staying at the Big Cedar Lodge resort. It is an amazing resort with lots to do an it's just gorgeous for the holidays. We spent Thanksgiving weekend there an loved every minute of it. Branson was OK, but we would love to go back to big cedar!!! We actually plan to try to spend next Christmas there and are also considering a week long summer vacation there in 2014!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, we didn't get to hear about Silver Dollar City.

Just teasing - your review of Big Cedar was enough for me. I've been to SDC.

When my sister, her daughter and granddaughter were at BIg Cedar in October, they decided even doing one thing - SDC or a show or a museum - a day was too much as they didn't get to spend much time at the resort.

Btw, they had a great time doing a portrait pkg there at Big Cedar. DS and her DD got good photos but for some reason DGD was not cooperating - frowning, etc. Photographer took photos anyway - what a hoot.

OP, I keep forgetting to ask my sister and niece about less expensive and free things to do. I know they will have lots of suggestions. They go every October.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Denise, we didn't get to hear about Silver Dollar City.
    Jan, I didn't forget. It didn't appear that anyone was interested. LOL. Apparently you are, so I'll try to find time to finish up a quick trip report on the rest of our trip.

I can tell you this, SDC is an absolutely beautiful park, but it was way too cold to really be able to enjoy it. We didn't get as much out of it as we would have liked, but we definitely have plans to visit SDC again when we visit Big Cedar in the summer. Probably 2014! Can't wait to go back!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Branson have alot of indoor water parks or am I thinking of somewhere else?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeouch... got to looking further.. and several places already booked for that week in November.. come to find out they are hosting a huge Military Homecoming Reunion Celebration. They are expecting 10s of thousands of military and their families to hit the town. Even have the Marine Ball. Soooo.. we won't be going to Branson (even though my husband is a veteran.. I have to do all the driving and I don't want to deal with those kind of crowd levels) but thanks for all the answers and advice and opinions... I do hope to go to branson someday.. so I'll keep everything you guys have said in mind!

Post Thanks / Like

Branson has one indoor water park. The Wisconsin Dells is the area where they started and has many to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BowTie7 View Post
    Branson has one indoor water park. The Wisconsin Dells is the area where they started and has many to choose from.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking of. Thanks
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Branson twice on a trip with 4 adults. We went in may /sept. Everyday we would have breakfast and do a round of putt putt golf. it was so fun. I love Disney but Silver Dollar City was a riot. We laughed so hard on a raft water fight ride they have there. We were lucky that they had the bluegrass festival while we were there. So many talented musicians. We stayed at Big Cedar sister lodge in town called Falls Village. We also saw a few shows and rode the ducks. I don't think there would have been enough for us to do in the winter months except for the Christmas shows. Cant wait to go back..
    TRACEY

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: