Quantcast Need scooter advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need scooter advice

I recently cancelled a much needed trip to WDW due to severe back pain. However not going to go to Disney ever again is not an option! I'm probably going to have to use a scooter on the next trip. My fear is, how do you maneuver thorough the crowds? I'm so afraid of running into someone. How do you watch the fireworks or go shopping? Do you go through the normal lines to get on a ride or see a show? Or do you park it and try to walk through the lines with everyone else? Obviously I've not paid much attention to others using scooters. Thanks for any advice you can offer
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaDisneyDreamer View Post
    I recently cancelled a much needed trip to WDW due to severe back pain. However not going to go to Disney ever again is not an option! I'm probably going to have to use a scooter on the next trip. My fear is, how do you maneuver thorough the crowds? I'm so afraid of running into someone. How do you watch the fireworks or go shopping? Do you go through the normal lines to get on a ride or see a show? Or do you park it and try to walk through the lines with everyone else? Obviously I've not paid much attention to others using scooters. Thanks for any advice you can offer

Well let me see if I can be of some help. Between my lady friend and I we have used scooters a number of times.

If you are going to be with family I would have someone walk in front of you a few steps ahead. It seem they will get out of the way quicker than trying it with a scooter. For the most part though we have had little trouble.

As far a the fireworks or shopping that can differ. Fireworks would be no different than normal just try to fine a good spot and wait it out. Shopping can sometimes be an issue if the store is really crowded, but we have been able to get it done you just need to be patient.

The rides or show depend on how they are set up. I have found that most rides and shows are ECV friendly. One that comes to mind that is not is Pirates of Caribbean. You will need to park the ECV and get a wheel chair. I have noticed that they do have some at the entrance. Rides where you wait in a line you take the ECV to the point where you would need to transfer to the ride. This applies to fast pass or regular lines. If you are not sure just at the cast member and they will be glad to help.

I would rent an ECV from an a Disney approved off site provider. We use Apple scooter as they provide hazard insurance with the cost of the unit. I have found them to be cheaper than others. In the past I have had 2 issues where I needed to call Apple for a replacement and got it within about 30 min. They deliver either to the park or resort where ever you would have an issue. When you rent an ECV from an approved provider they will deliver it to your resort and you can pick it up at the bell captains desk. When you are finished with the scooter just take it back to the bell captain.

If you rent one in the parks it is $50 a day plus a $25 deposit. You will not be able to take it out of the parks. Renting one on the outside is about half that and you can use it at the resort. Transportation on buses are not a real issue most of the time.

Hope this helps..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I am so sorry that you're sore, and yes, you'll have to go back to Disney!

I highly recommend renting an ECV from an off-site company, so that you have it with you for the whole trip, not just in the park AND renting from off-site is cheaper than on-site. The "approved" companies (meaning that they can drop it off at your resort) are listed here. Personally, I highly recommend Buena Vista Scooter Rentals (we had two great experiences with them), and highly recommend avoiding Apple (we've had two horrible experiences with them).

So, once you have the ECV, how is getting around? Better and worse that you're expecting. Crowds can indeed be a challenge, since so many people just won't see you, or won't care. My Mom is an ECV user at Disney, and the most amusing time was when a person walked right into her! She wasn't even moving. However, that is the worst by far, and there was far more good. We do go slowly, we walk with her, so it clears a path a bit, and really, you just manage, it just works. The only real advice is to go slowly, and know that moving around on an ECV in especially crowded times will be slower than walking, so plan for it, and don't get frustrated.

In terms of everything else, my Mom would generally stay in her ECV for fireworks, we just found a place where she could see, and parades offer a viewing area where no one is standing in front of you. For shopping she would generally just "scoot" around the store, and if it was really busy (like closing at MK), she would park at the door and walk around, just because it was easier, but not required.

Shows are wonderful, and there is ECV seating, so you don't need to move. Thee are seats next to the ECV "parking", so you can watch with your group. For shows and attractions, you can choose to park your ECV and walk through the regular lines, or take it with you, whichever will be better for you. There are a few attractions where you can't take your ECV (Winnie the Pooh, Ellen's Adventure come to mind), but for these there are wheelchairs available at the attraction (for free of course), or you can walk through the line. The ECV will go on some rides, and you will have to transfer for others, and your ECV will be waiting for you when you get off the ride.

I'm so glad that you'll be able to enjoy Disney!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your advice. I'm sure once I get on a scooter everything will be okay, after all, I'll be scooting around Disney! Still nervous about it, but like I said, not going at all isn't an option! Hoping to go in Sept. Need to book it soon. Thanks again!
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

6. Likes ibelieveindisneymagic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be doing a solo trip in late April using an ECV. Reserved the scooter today through Buena Vista Scooters. This will be my 1st time using an off-site provider. I went ahead and booked some accessories for the scooter, so the price is about the same as a standard ECV at the parks. I asked for a sun shade, a cup holder, and a cane holder. The sun shade will make the over-all height of the ECV taller, so I'm hoping I'll be a bit more visible (especially if I add some LED lights).

One tip that I did read was to not try to leave with the horde after the Fireworks. Either leave just before they start or wait out the crowd. It'll be much less stressful for you.

I'm planning on posting a trip report afterwards, so hopefully it will be informative for others thinking of using an ECV and especially if they are doing it solo.
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaDisneyDreamer View Post
    As far as maneuvering through crowds, I keep one hand on the speed control (turtle/rabbit dial) at all times. It's amazing how many people walk without looking in front of them. People walking while looking down at their cell phone (or maybe texting), people walking or even running forward while looking in back of them for the rest of their family. And even though I stop, I've had people almost walk right into my scooter. Almost all the souvenir shops have great, wide aisle, so shopping's easy. I've done both-riding my scooter thru lines, and getting off and walking with my cane.
    By the way, I also have a very bad back, and resisted a scooter for years. Now that I've finally given in and use one, I wondered "What took me so long?"

Post Thanks / Like

I would purchase a stroller hook ot a pack of the baby links that attach to one another so you have some added places to hang items and bags since traveling alone. They are cheap and can be used in so any ways/configurations. Don't forget a towel or cushion for sitting on/against. The seats are not made for all day comfort. Also remember a rain covering or better yet a couple cheap dollar store ponchos for the inevitable pop up rain storms to protect the controls and keep everything dry. Have a magical trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No one compares to disney when it comes to helping the handicapped and those w/ scooters. I've used one on every trip and had no problem moving around Disney on it. I can go in any shopping area with no issues. ON all rides either i can take my scooter to the end or i can transfer into a wheel chair.

as far as going through crowds, that can be changeling. People can move in any differnt direction on a dime and stop on a dime. you cant do that w/ scooters. people will cut you off, and no matter how much you're paying attention and they are not, you may accidently clip someone, and of course that will be your fault, even though they cut infront of you! LOL. don't worry, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    as far as going through crowds, that can be changeling. People can move in any differnt direction on a dime and stop on a dime. you cant do that w/ scooters. people will cut you off, and no matter how much you're paying attention and they are not, you may accidently clip someone, and of course that will be your fault, even though they cut infront of you! LOL. don't worry, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
    And with smartphones now being an integral part of WDW, they're the enemy of the scooter-user. I've had so many people walk into me on my scooter because they were looking down at their cell phone instead of watching where they're going.

Post Thanks / Like

Default start slow

I have not read any of the other replies, so this advice may be duplicated...

Do make sure that the first time you get on it, you turn the speed to slow before starting out.

We were at the Caribbean Beach Resort waiting for Disney Magical Express to pick us up to go to the airport and saw a man picking up a scooter. It was only funny since the scooter was not for him and no one was hurt, but he got on it and that thing really took off on him. They can make really tight turns and he nearly ended up laying it over!

So learn from him and make sure the speed is set on slow during your learning curve and I think you will do great.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    It was only funny since the scooter was not for him and no one was hurt, but he got on it and that thing really took off on him. They can make really tight turns and he nearly ended up laying it over!
    I have been thinking about my response. Please don't think I am being insensitive - if I could edit my post, I would, but it has been too long and that is no longer an option.

'Funny' isn't the best word choice. It was just so very unexpected. You don't often see a scooter move so quickly and wildly out of control.

The lesson is still the same. Be careful to check the speed before starting off.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Do make sure that the first time you get on it, you turn the speed to slow before starting out.
    It is best if you check your where your speed is set every time you get back on your scooter after it has been parked and left alone for awhile. For some reason more and more lately when I return from a meal or a ride or using the restroom the dial has been changed to the fastest setting and I know darn well I didn't leave it like that.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    And with smartphones now being an integral part of WDW, they're the enemy of the scooter-user. I've had so many people walk into me on my scooter because they were looking down at their cell phone instead of watching where they're going.
    Sadly this is becoming way to frequent lately. Still haven't hit anyone. Sometimes you don't even have to be moving and are completely parked, out of the way and over to the side and people will almost run into you right before they would walk straight into a wall.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping control of the speed is excellent advice. I keep one hand on the speed control dial as often as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Double check the speed setting each time you get back on the scooter. Just in case a prankster decided you need to be on rabbit rather than turtle.
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Due to some hip issues which have restricted my ability to walk distances, I have become an ECV user over the last few trips. Below are some observations that may be helpful.

Fireworks Viewing - There are reserved areas for handicapped/ECV users. Just ask a Cast Member and they will send you in the correct direction. Be advised that in most cases you need to be in place at least an hour before the event and they may restrict you to only one companion in the handicapped area.

Shows - There is generally reserved seating for handicapped/EVC users. Just ask a Cast Member and they will send you in the correct direction. There is usually seating for you companions in the same area.

Rides - The "newer" rides in the "newer" park were designed to allow you to accompany your companions in the line on the ECV. You will most likely need to transfer to the ride vehicle and the cast members will move your ECV to the unload area. In some cases, the ECV can be loaded directly onto the ride vehicle.

In the Magic Kingdom on the "legacy" rides, the cast members will direct you to a handicapped area where you will be accommodated. On the "newer" rides, they generally operate as noted above.

Shopping - Most of the shops and store easily accommodate ECV's although they do require a bit of "skill" to maneuver.

Restaurants - Table Service - Most require to you to transfer to restaurant seating for dining.

Quick Service - While it is almost impossible to get to the counter to order (a companion will have to do so for you) for the most part seating with companions is relatively easy.

Disney Transportation - Almost all (like 99%) is accessible. Most often you load first, then your companions, then the public. Minnie Vans can be used to transport you, your companions (up to 4) and your ECV, HOWEVER you can NOT uses the Lyft app to book them. You MUST call (407) 828-3500 to book your ride.

Hope this helps.
    '75/'79/'85 - Offsite
    '86 - Contemporary (Honeymoon)
    '88 - Caribbean Beach
    '89 - "Old" Disney Cruise Lines
    '95/'97 - All Star Music
    '01 - Coronado Springs
    '03 - All Star Movie
    '05 - Wilderness Lodge (Magic Music Days)
    '18 - Swan
    '19 - POR
    '16/'19/'20 - Pop Century

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: