Quantcast Hershey Park: "It's not Disney"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hershey Park: "It's not Disney"

Disclaimer: Okay, so technically, this is NOT a Disney trip report. But, it sort of is, in a roundabout way. Stay with me.

We spent Memorial Day weekend in Hershey, PA. This was a first trip for DH and the kids. I had been there twice when I was a kid, so, like 25 years ago, approximately. I have fond memories of Hershey Park. I was excited to see how much it's grown (online) since I was there last, and figured we'd have a great time there as a quick weekend getaway closer to home. Plus, our older son LOVES chocolate, and particularly Reese's PB cups, so it was a given that we'd have to visit eventually.

Anyway, I am not going to go into great detail about this trip. Instead, I wanted to mention that Hershey Park is a sad, sad place and although we had fun overall, the experience left a LOT to be desired. I went there assuming it would be an experience somewhere between a Disney park and Six Flags. Sadly, I feel like Six Flags is a better experience. We saw ONE employee smile over a 2 day period of time. ONE. Exactly ONE employee engaged us in a friendly manner (the same one who smiled)...and over 75% of what he discussed with us was about Disney World, ironically. He was an older gentleman who helped us locate lockers/changing rooms at the water park area. He noticed DS's Mickey Epcot hat and launched into a discussion about how he would be at WDW for the third time in a year, since he has annual passes and is a DVC member, etc. He was nice. He was the only one. EVERY SINGLE ride operator looked dejected, stone faced, or downright miserable. No one talked. No one engaged the kids. They were like robots and it was really blatantly obvious that these people do NOT love their jobs, or even pretend to. The place was run down, and I know it's mostly off the shelf rides, but even those were just downright OLD and rusty, noisy, and the exposed electrical cords, push pedals to operate the rides and metal folding chairs that the ride operators plunked themselves down in while they pushed that pedal were all just...I don't even know what to say about it all.

We went for the kids. The kids had a good time, although some of the faces that my older son made on the rides were just priceless. He is not the best at emotional responses (he has Autism), but the look on his face many times was just "This is LAME!". The water park area was a huge hit with the kids, although the management of the lazy river was ridiculous. I waited in line for an HOUR to enter the lazy river. An H-O-U-R, in the blazing hot sun, with NOTHING to cool us down while we waited. Ironically, there were water canons all around the area, but not one drop of water fell on us while we waited. And, we waited because the lifeguards were not making anyone get out, AND you needed to ride in a tube, so you couldn't get in until you had one to sit in. Just bad on them for that setup.

To add insult to it all, the food was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I will never understand the comments about WDW food being pricey. My DH paid $26 for two burgers and fries for him and my younger DS (NO KIDS MEALS ANYWHERE!). I paid $16 for 2 slices of bad pizza and a side salad. So, yeah, $42 for some pretty awful food. For perspective, we had an excellent dinner the night before at Houlihans and our bill came to $43, and DH ordered an alcoholic drink.

I don't even want to discuss the madhouse that they called Chocolate World. We basically rode the Chocolate Tour ride, shopped a bit (almost losing our kids several times in the process) and left. It was SO hot in there...I guess they don't think using A/C when it's 90 degrees outside is necessary. Plus, there were huge lines for everything and the prices for the "attractions" were ridiculous. Price gouging was in full effect, and none of it was appealing at those prices. I was appalled at how much everything cost, for what it was.

The reason I posted this here is that DH, of all people, spent the entire two days saying stuff like "I miss Disney", "I wish we were at Disney", "This is not like Disney", and my favorite "God Bless You, Disney, for doing theme parks right."

DH has never been a "fanboy" of Disney. It's always been me. He goes along with me and he has a good time, but he never really talks about how much he loves Disney parks and all that (again, that's me). Hearing him all weekend, though, was sort of a sigh of relief for me. He is the one always saying stuff like "there are other places to go that aren't Disney (Land) (World). Let's go somewhere else next time." Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

I chose to go to Hershey Park because I honestly thought it would be an enjoyable time. However, I have to say, after having spent a grand total of $1000 for 2 days (we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights @ $170/night) for this weekend, I think we are DONE "trying new places" when it comes to amusement/theme parks.

The town of Hershey is a sad shell of what is used to be. I remember it being such a vibrant and fun town, but now that the factory is shut down, it's just like every other economically depressed "small town" in America. And, the clientele who surrounded us at the park seemed to be a collection of America's most poorly behaved adults. I saw more parents being utterly awful to their kids, and just being utterly awful in general, that it really made me feel sad.

My DH said it best when he said "Now I know what I'm paying for when I go to Disney parks. I am paying for the appearance, even if it's an act, that it's a Happy place, and that the employees want to be there, and that they want to help people and be nice. I don't care if it's really how they feel, but at least I leave convinced that that is the case. I am willing to pay more because they provide a better experience, and when you really think about it, it doesn't cost that much more. It's worth it."

So, next time you feel like you had a "less than stellar" time at a Disney park, just pause for a minute, and put it into perspective. Disney really does "do it right", at least 95% of the time.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Natalie. I've made the same sort of price to enjoyment comparison a number of times - everything from attending a baseball game to attending another amusement park as you did! (I think you have completed your husband's conversion!!)
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    (I think you have completed your husband's conversion!!)
    Yes...yes, I believe Phase 3 is complete. (evil laugh)
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Oof.

My fiance and I attempted Carowinds in SC last summer. We spent the whole day wandering around saying "It's certainly not Disney world.."

And similar to your experience it was outrageously expensive for a cruddy experience.

Its disney or no theme parks period for us now.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I haven't been to Hershey Park in probably a decade, I can't really disagree with anything in your post, except placing Six Flags above it. Maybe your Six Flags is nicer, but the experience you describe here sounds just like a day at Six Flags Great Adventure. I used to have season passes until they totally priced themselves out of our comfortable zone (both ticket price and food/beverage prices). As much as we complain, there really is no place like Disney when it comes to atmosphere.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, to be fair, last time I was at a Six Flags (Magic Mountain in CA) was about 9 years ago. I guess what I meant was Hershey Park is currently worse than Six Flags from 9 years ago.

I have fond childhood memories of Great Adventure but I imagine much has changed there as well.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for such a disappointing time. Why do our adult selves remember things from our childhood so differently from how they were? I think we take Disney for granted sometimes, and for all of the grumbling we sometimes do about our time in the parks, I really and truly believe that they do it best, and it's ruined us for all others.

We have an amusement park near us called "Canada's Wonderland", and I was able to purchase annual passes for the four of us at a remarkable discount through my employer. We are planning on going next weekend, and I am almost dreading it. I just know that it will not be as efficient as Disney is with lines etc. , but we are giving it a go, because DH and the boys will be able to visit frequently through the summer on DH's days off. We'll see.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    My fiance and I attempted Carowinds in SC last summer. We spent the whole day wandering around saying "It's certainly not Disney world.."
    To be fair, Carowinds is actually located in both NC and SC. That's actually a cool aspect of that park. I grew up going to Carowinds every year, but since becoming infatuated with Disney in my early 20s and having not visited Carowinds since, I bet my fond childhood memories would be soured if I return. I think I may just keep my memories intact.

Nat, funny you mentioned this today. Just yesterday we were talking about our upcoming endless opportunities long weekend trips, and we talked about Hershey at length. I went there years and years ago, but my dad didn't pay for us to go to the amusement park (cheap, cheap) and we only did the (what I think was free?) tour. Am I remembering riding in M&M's shaped omnimover like vehicles? I've always wanted to go back.

Anyway, I read your report with great interest. Wonder how Hershey Park stacks up with a Busch Gardens or even Universal (excluding HP)?

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I went to Carowinds too, once when I was younger. My cousins and aunt/uncle used to live in Gastonia, NC. I remember Carowinds being pretty fun.

Mel, honestly, I cannot recommend Hershey Park. Especially with your boys ages, Hershey Park will be a HUGE disppointment. We mostly went because they have a huge assortment of "off the shelf kiddie rides" and my younger son, in particular, is fond of that kind of thing, although probably not for much longer. And, I wanted my kids to experience such classics as "The Scrambler" and "Tilt-A-Whirl". Done. And, done. And, Chocolate World is disappointing as well. That omnimover ride is still there, but the cars look like chocolate bars, not M&M's (wrong company there). The ride was fun for Max, because he got to see all the mechanics of the machines and the conveyer belt with all the candies on it going every which way. Visually, it was a trip for him and he loved it. Lucas couldn't have cared less and seemed bored out of his mind by the ride. What with Costco and all, it's not really thrilling to come across retail sized packs of candy these days and that's basically the extent of the shopping...candy and overpriced merch. You can "create your own candy bar" for the low, low price of $15. You can choose from three mix ins...how thrilling. You can do a "chocolate tasting adventure" for $25 per person. Again...what a deal. You can do a "trolley tour of Hershey" for $13 per person! We followed this trolley in our car and the "tour" is basically a drive through town. I can't imagine HOW it is worth $13 per person.

I hear you on the "weekend getaway" pipe dreams. We have them too. So far we've driven down to N.C. to visit my MIL, and we went to Hershey Park. Next up within the next 3 years, is Philadelphia, Boston (for me and DH), New York at Christmastime, and Baltimore (for the aquarium and children's museum, mostly). But, I'm done with theme parks. Disney or nothing, in that category, from now on.

We have considered Busch Gardens Williamsburg and/or Water Country U.S.A., either of which we can get in for free with the military deal they offer, but after this weekend, I'm having second thoughts. Although, from what I've seen and heard, Busch Gardens is WORLDS better than Hershey Park and Six Flags type places. I think we will probably skip it though, as our kids are a bit too young for the big coasters and not quite ready to understand the historical significance of Colonial Williamsburg yet.

We actually have a decent water park right here called Splash Down. It's nearby (about 15 min away), CHEAP, and good enough for the kids. You should check it out one day. It's not amazing, but for the price (they offer a military discount) it's a decent place to spend a day every now and then.

We'll stay home and save our pennies for Disney , I suppose.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry that you did not have a good trip to Hershey. I have been going there about once a year for the past 5 years, and we enjoy it, even though it's NOT Disney. That being said, there are quite a few points of your post that I agree with:

1.) Chocolate World: We only do the (free) Chocolate Tour portion of it. We usually don't buy candy, unless we find something rare. One time when we were leaving the tour, my group was asked to do a taste test for a new product, and that was pretty cool.

2.) Food: We never buy food at the park if at all possible. We bring our lunch in a cooler and eat dinner at a restaurant. The food at Hershey is not only expensive, but it is not good at all. DH and I were called Disney snobs during one Hershey trip because we kept saying that we could get a better meal for less (and share) at Flame Tree BBQ.

3.) Cost: I don't think that there is enough for children in the lower height categories to do to warrant the price of the ticket. (You can get discounted tickets, but I still don't think the value is there for parents of small children.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I admit it: I am a Disney snob.
    I do go to other parks and just shake my head in amazement that I just spent that much money to be so disappointed.
    I have very fond childhood memories of Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farms. I doubt I will ever go back to either of them as I think the memory is a happy one and why would I ever want to ruin that?
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so greatful for this thread! Hello my name is Shari & I admit I am a WDW snob! I too make the comparison, but to be honest, after trips to the Happiest Place on Earth & I'm as yet to find any experience to rival the atmosphere of Disney!

I grew up going to Kings Island, near Cinicinnati, OH, every year, and loved it! DH & I took our DS's to K.I. the year after our first WDW trip & we said never again! Standing in 2 hour long waits on the hot pavement, with nothingness, except gazing at the long line ahead of you and wiping your own sweat for distraction! ugg

This year we're taking a year off from WDW to visit other places , while we'll miss it, we do enjoy going new places! We're doing a road trip Niagara Falls, Canada, Manhattan & a short beach stay before coming home. DH has been intent on making a stop at Hershey World on the way, either coming or going & I'd already done some research & decided that it held no appeal for me what so ever & I can't see our teen DS's getting anything out of it! The prices look outrageous for what it is, so I'm so happy that you have just confirmed what I already thought. I was afraid that I just was so biased towards WDW & not giving it a chance.

We've all been a little more interested in the man - Milton Hershey - since my youngest DS did a great report on him for school a couple of years ago. But it sounds like while Hershey World used to be a really nice place, to me it no longer sounds like such a "sweet" place to visit. Which I think is very sad. But thanks so much for sharing with us. It sounds like your family still had a nice trip, albeit a little less magical than you'd hoped. Just start planning your next WDW trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Natile sorry you didn't enjoy your trip. The last time we were there was about 5 years ago and have to say we like Hershey Park and think it's a very clean, enjoyable park. We also enjoy Busch Gardens in Williamsburg (it's a beautiful park) and even have been to the Wonderland Park in Canada, which was fun. I try not to compare the parks because they are totally different animals. Hershey IMO is an amusement park and Disney is a theme park. You go to Hershey or Great Adventure for the rides, not so much for the atmosphere. At least that's what we do.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry for your experience, but one good thing came out of it, this trip report!!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Put our love for Disney in perspective and why we love it so much. As for six flags, I cannot express the distaste I have for that place. Hated it. I'll deal with it if someone else wants to go like when dbf and I took his son a few years back, but really the place is disgustingly dirty, expensive for the crud they give you, including rides. Everything about it put a bad taste in my mouth. I have never been to Hershey park and now can say I really don't care to. It is a bummer you had a bad time though
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We were at Hershey Park last year, on our roadtrip back from DC and "Jersey shore". But it was good for us. I probably hadn't been there in almost 10 years. We had dinner at one of their restaurants, at the Lodge. The food was good. It was our only meal there since we were leaving that day.

But the park was clean and enjoyable for us as well.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everyone - once you do Disney you will never view smaller/local amusement & water parks the same! There is an amusement park called "Darien Lake" (used to be Six Flags) about 1 1/2 hrs from us and it is a HUGE disappointment after having been to Disney. I took my sister a couple years ago and I couldn't wait to leave! Seeing dirty gum all over the pavement was a reminder of how clean everything is at Disney. I will never take clean walkways for granted again! I don't mind at all paying extra at Disney for a wonderful experience. The $ is worth it to me and is what keeps us coming back!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

I am well aware that there is a vast difference from Disney and "all the rest" so I do try to not judge them by Disney standards.
    But Hershey Park has got to be the worst of the not so good. Dirty. Very, very little shade. An ECV/handicap nightmare. Dull to downright rude employees. Awful, overpriced food. Way overpriced admission. Awful parking lots.
    One positive - truely great huge s'mores.
    Been once sure as heck won't be ever going back again.
    All of that and it doesn't come close to the outrage I still feel about the treatment of their zoo animals during that flood fiasco.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Once you visit Disney, you will never find anything else that will meet your new standards! There is a Six Flags park 45 minutes from my house that used to be a regular destination for us. We have been back once since we started visiting WDW, and all we kept saying was how much better it was at WDW.

Needles to say we are going back this summer, even though we do not have enough money for park passes. We figured it is time to do some serious hotel hoping and visit one of the water parks
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to top Disney. I have thought about trying other parks because the wife is not much of a Disney girl. We have Carowinds right down the road from us. The issue I have with the smaller parks is the crowds and riff raff that comes with them. Maybe its just me but it seems like Carowinds for example, is a place for parents to drop kids off during the week. When school is out its cheaper to buy a season pass than it is for a babysitter. That is my opinion on it.
    I would much rather drive the seven hours and be somewhere that makes me happy than somewhere that makes me cringe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I am well aware that there is a vast difference from Disney and "all the rest" so I do try to not judge them by Disney standards.
    But Hershey Park has got to be the worst of the not so good. Dirty. Very, very little shade. An ECV/handicap nightmare. Dull to downright rude employees. Awful, overpriced food. Way overpriced admission. Awful parking lots.
    Yep. Agree with ALL of this. The park was FILTHY. Didn't really mention that earlier, but it was about as far from "clean" as you could get. I will give them the clean bathrooms. I was kinda surprised how clean they were, to be honest. But, the park itself...nasty. And, the empty hand sanitizer stations just added to the unclean feeling.

We got $14 off each adult admisison, but NO kids discount, so the kids tickets were close to $40 each. I actually didn't find that too bad, considering that my kids actually rode a lot of stuff and we all enjoyed the water park area for a few hours, so the admission price didn't phase me too much (total spent on admission for 2 adults, 2 kids was about $150 with discounts). It was everything else that was just outrageously priced.

We didn't even go into the "zoo". I refused to step foot in there and I don't even want to know what kind of show they have at the "Aquatheater."
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: