Quantcast Disney Parks Adopt Seasonal Pricing on 1-Day Ticket

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Parks Adopt Seasonal Pricing on 1-Day Ticket

From Disney:

Disney Parks Adopt Seasonal Pricing on 1-Day Ticket

It’s an exciting time to visit Disney Parksas new fan favorites come to life at Disneyland® Resort and Walt Disney World® Resort.

New Star Wars experiences have already opened at both Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. And this year, several new experiences are expected to open on both costs, such as the new Soarin’ Around the World at Disney California Adventure® Park and Epcot®, a “Frozen”-inspired musical at Disney California Adventure Park, new nighttime experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, the Frozen Ever After attraction at Epcot and a new stage show at Magic Kingdom® Park.

We are committed to delivering on our Guests’ high expectations in the midst of unprecedented demand for our parks, particularly during peak visitation periods. That is why we continue to expand our parks with new attractions like those noted above, as well as entire new themed lands based on AVATAR, Star Wars and “Toy Story.”

It is also why we continue to look for ways to spread out visitation. So, beginning tomorrow, we are shifting to seasonal pricing for 1-Day tickets. It’s an approach that you are probably familiar with from many other areas, including sports, entertainment and travel.

How will it work? Each month is divided into value, regular and peak days with an 8-11 month calendar available for viewing online. Here’s an example, if your Clients plan their visit for September, they’ll have a variety of options, including many days in the value period, which will give them the opportunity to pay less for a 1-Day ticket. If they plan to visit during a peak period, like the winter holidays they will pay more. Purchasing a 1-Day ticket in a non-peak period, or choosing multi-day ticket and annual passes, will provide additional flexibility and value.

Seasonal pricing for a 1-Day ticket and price increases for multi-day tickets will go into effect at Disney Parks Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016.

In addition, although in the past 1-Day tickets for Walt Disney World Resort did not expire, 1-Day tickets sold on or after Sunday, Feb. 28 for Walt Disney World Resort will expire at the end of the next calendar year. For example, 1-day tickets sold in 2016 will expire on Dec. 31, 2017. The amount paid for an unused, expired ticket may be applied towards the purchase of a new ticket at the current price.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it could have been worse...

It's getting harder and harder for me to accept the complexity of a WDW vacation, and the future that we all know is coming (tiered multi-day tickets) makes me sad.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully, I have never bought (and probably never will buy) a one day ticket. This won't affect planning for us in any way.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

5. Likes DisneyGiant, Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the Teacups don't even spin that much!

7. Thanks John, Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes eam, RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Thankfully, I have never bought (and probably never will buy) a one day ticket. This won't affect planning for us in any way.
    Until they adopt it across the board, and you know that's coming. The only question is, will it be this year or next year...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Until they adopt it across the board, and you know that's coming. The only question is, will it be this year or next year...
    im sure they will. never bought a one day either. but Im wondering if they will raise the multiday price soon anyway
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Angry They're Sneaky Too!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Wow, the Teacups don't even spin that much!

Not only do they fail miserably at putting a positive spin on what essentially is another money grab, but snuck in the announcement of price increases for multi-day passes in the second to last paragraph.

Once again, corporate greed wins out. The old 10cc song "Wall Street Shuffle" is now running through my head...
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    Not only do they fail miserably at putting a positive spin on what essentially is another money grab, but snuck in the announcement of price increases for multi-day passes in the second to last paragraph.

Once again, corporate greed wins out. The old 10cc song "Wall Street Shuffle" is now running through my head...
    Yep, just another company grabbin' the green. Emphasis on "just another company."

12. Likes Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four-day tickets increased from $305 to $325 and 10-day passes increased from $365 to $400.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it, either, but it is on par with seasonal pricing for hotel rooms and dining. I might actually have a chance to enjoy Christmas Day at Disney if this thins things out any.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something? Doesn't the article say multiple day ticket increases go in affect Today? Also I find this hard to take. Many families do not take vacations when their children have school, and some can only go on vacations at certain times of the year. Most of the time those times are the most crowded or peak days. As a teacher this affects me a great deal and while I accept the crowds since it is my only choice of when I can go. I do not accept the price increase on those crowded days. I am paying more to go tot he park when it is the most crowded.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is one of the last in the theme park business to do this kind of pricing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner. You pay for for a movie ticket at 8:00 pm than you do for the 3:00 afternoon matinee. At many restaurants, you pay less for a meal at lunchtime than you do for the same basic food at dinnertime. Not much different about this. I don't like it, but its hardly shocking. We are all used to paying a lot more for hotel rooms during peak demand times, not only at Disney but at most resorts everywhere.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Disney is one of the last in the theme park business to do this kind of pricing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner. You pay for for a movie ticket at 8:00 pm than you do for the 3:00 afternoon matinee. At many restaurants, you pay less for a meal at lunchtime than you do for the same basic food at dinnertime. Not much different about this. I don't like it, but its hardly shocking. We are all used to paying a lot more for hotel rooms during peak demand times, not only at Disney but at most resorts everywhere.
    Those comparisons are not quite the same. This is for a day not time of day. Now anyone that is already paying a higher price for resorts at busy times are also paying a higher price to enter the park and most likely wait in longer lines and get on less. IMHO Disney is looking to increase their $$$ by making a one day ticket cost more persuading people to buy a multi day ticket. But wait those prices went up too. Busier day, longer lines for everything, & higher prices. DHS with most of it being closed soon and parks closing earlier. I find it hard to justify the price. I love Disney but I may be priced out now. 125 dollars to get into a park. Three guaranteed experiences. Construction closing many things. Park hours cut back. Equals one unhappy family.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Those comparisons are not quite the same. This is for a day not time of day. Now anyone that is already paying a higher price for resorts at busy times are also paying a higher price to enter the park and most likely wait in longer lines and get on less. IMHO Disney is looking to increase their $$$ by making a one day ticket cost more persuading people to buy a multi day ticket. But wait those prices went up too. Busier day, longer lines for everything, & higher prices. DHS with most of it being closed soon and parks closing earlier. I find it hard to justify the price. I love Disney but I may be priced out now. 125 dollars to get into a park. Three guaranteed experiences. Construction closing many things. Park hours cut back. Equals one unhappy family.

I posted this on another board earlier today, it shares my thoughts on it:

So here is my take on all of this, sure its not a huge increase over the course of an entire vacation, however the gradual increase every year on everything is starting to add up. I still agree that a Disney vacation is in fact a reasonable vacation compared to other options. However, as Disney increases prices and cuts spending on other things, so does my family. We live 8 hours away, so historically when we go on vacation from Saturday to Saturday, we’ll purchase the 8 day hopper and we’ll leave right after work on Friday, get a cheap hotel room in Orlando Friday night and spend the entire day in the parks on Saturday. We’ll buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the parks that day and probably spend more money. At the end of our trip, instead of packing up and leaving early Saturday morning, we’ll use the 8th day to head to MK for Crystal Palace breakfast and hit a few rides before leaving.

As they continue to increase prices, I can’t justify buying the 8 day park hopper for a Saturday to Saturday trip anymore, it makes more sense for us to bump those back to a 6 day park hopper. Now we’ll get up at a decent time on Saturday morning and head down, check into the hotel, and head over to Disney Springs for dinner. We’ll also get up on departure day and just pack up and head out. It’s a 1 ½ day park loss for us, and less money we’ll spend in the parks, so in the end it’ll actually save us a little money.

These trips are tight for us, but we can afford them, I am starting to have a hard time with the business practice of how things are being handled and am really starting to get a sour taste in my mouth with things. After going 7 times in a 5 year span, we took 3 years off as our kids were born, we took them in 2014 and 2015, with the plans to take 2016 off and head back down for 2017 and 2018. The talk this weekend at our house was to maybe skip 2017 all together as well, with the cost increases, cuts while record profits are being made, and all of the construction going on, we may sit out until 2018 or 2019.

I understand cost increases and the need for them, we did the math, and from our Honeymoon in 2008 to this summer, the exact same vacation sees a 31% increase in price. I honestly haven’t seen a 31% increase in experience or inflation. We're a family of 4 that has a a moderate income, I'm starting to feel that we're no longer Disney's target audience.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

19. Likes waymickey, JerseyDad, Figment104 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading through some of this, it looks like the multi-day tickets are going up by the same amount as in previous years -- $5/day for the first 4 - 5 days and about $3-$4/day after that. The big changes are in the single-day tickets.

Who purchases single-day tickets? "Locals" and cruise-line visitors with a stopover in Port Canaveral. Who else? (This is an actual question, not a sarcastic statement!!)

So, what it sounds like is Disney is trying to lessen the crush on the parks in the busier times from the local clientele, making it a bit easier on the extended stay visitors. In essence, a "blackout period" (OK, more like grey!) for locals and cruisers.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Those comparisons are not quite the same. This is for a day not time of day.
    True, but my point was that we are all used to prices for entertainment and lodging to be higher when demand is higher (whether its the time of day or the time of year). I'm not happy about it either; as a consumer, I wish movie tickets and hotel prices were the same all the time. But it is not realistic to expect that. I like college football, and on home game weekends, All the hotels in my college town charge three times their normal rates with a three-night minimum and every room in town is booked a year in advance. I don't like it, so I don't stay overnight, but they sell out every room available for miles around. So a lot of other people obviously think it's worth the money.

Disney is in the same position. They have found themselves (or gotten there in purpose, i should say) in the enviable position of being able to sell as much as they have of something (entertainment) at prices that many find too much to bear. Yet others willingly take those disappointed buyers' places. Until that changes, expect more price increases. Disney didn't invent this concept. It's basic economics. And they are taking advantage of it. As a result, we'll be voting with our wallets, and going to WDW less often. I'm sure some other family will take our place.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    True, but my point was that we are all used to prices for entertainment and lodging to be higher when demand is higher (whether its the time of day or the time of year). I'm not happy about it either; as a consumer, I wish movie tickets and hotel prices were the same all the time. But it is not realistic to expect that. I like college football, and on home game weekends, All the hotels in my college town charge three times their normal rates with a three-night minimum and every room in town is booked a year in advance. I don't like it, so I don't stay overnight, but they sell out every room available for miles around. So a lot of other people obviously think it's worth the money.

Disney is in the same position. They have found themselves (or gotten there in purpose, i should say) in the enviable position of being able to sell as much as they have of something (entertainment) at prices that many find too much to bear. Yet others willingly take those disappointed buyers' places. Until that changes, expect more price increases. Disney didn't invent this concept. It's basic economics. And they are taking advantage of it. As a result, we'll be voting with our wallets, and going to WDW less often. I'm sure some other family will take our place.
    Exactly. I guess I understand some frustration and knee jerk reactions, but quite frankly Disney should raise prices more. It's supply and demand. Yes, they have raised prices at a MUCH higher rate than inflation. They also continue to have MUCH higher attendance than in the past. The prices are well in line with what the market will bear.

Post Thanks / Like

New York Post lead story...
    "Disney is screwing American Families."

24. Likes JerseyDad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So far it doesn't affect my wife and I, and I doubt this affects many at Disney World. I would love to see how many single day tickets they sell at DW. My guess is not many. Now Disneyland is completely different. I bet they sell a ton of single dayers out there. Different crowd.

I know the day of seasonal pricing is coming for multi day tickets. That's when I'll feel it.

Disney is clearly going after the wealthy and won't lose sleep over losing the middle class. Sad, but true :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Try AAA if you had terrible timing like I did and needed to get tickets yesterday or today. When I went to get tickets at the local Disney store yesterday and today, their system is still not up and running. But when I went to AAA, they didn't know anything about the prices changing. Saved a ton over what the Disney parks website was quoting me under the new system. I'm sure this is very short lived until Disney can get their system updated, but it worked today.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: