Quantcast 1st timers to Savannah

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st timers to Savannah

So in April we'll be driving down to New Orleans to visit friends for Easter and on the way home I want to stop in Savannah with my DD's(15&9) for 3 nights. I think the Historic district looks wonderful. I'd like a great hotel location that has easy walking to places of interest w/pool for the kiddies. I do want to eat at Paul Deens restaurant for sure at least once. What's our best meal option? How's the weather there in early April? Thanks ahead of time. I look forward to everyone's ideas of what not to miss!
    -Marcy-
    Mom to: Katina Ann "TiTi" & Adrianna Jacey "AJ"

DLR/ Summer of 1988

7/26 - 8/2 2003- Off Site
    7/2 - 7/9 2006- CBR Jamacia
    11/21 - 12/1 2007- CBR Martinique
    11/18 - 11/28 2009- Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a search in this forum. I'm sure we've discussed Savannah before.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites downtown last year, and really enjoyed the convenience of the location. Easy walking distance to Lady & Sons, the Riverfront and all the Squares. Be sure to take a carriage tour. And we really enjoyed eating at Paula's brother's restaurant on the way out to Tybee Island. Actually, we enjoyed that meal better than Lady & Sons.

Post Thanks / Like

Love, love, love Savannah!

We were kind of brought up on vacations there (my younger sister's name is Savannah).

Vic's on the River is a fantastic restaurant if your looking for a nice night out. It isn't cheap by any means but the food is fantastic, as is the view.

Don't miss River Street! A line of shops, bars, restaurants and such that run along the Savannah River. The candy shops down here are awesome. Market Street in the heart of Savannah is a similar area and another great destination for food. There is a tapas restaurant down here who's name eludes me, but they are very very good.

Take time to walk the squares and enjoy the historic homes. Not many are open to the public but you can take tours at some of them, the Juliette Lowe house (founder of the girl scouts) and the Mercer Williams House (Composer Johnny Mercer's home and the home used to film Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). If you choose to walk the squares after dark I do suggest doing so with an official tour, there are some areas, and individuals, best avoided after dark. Ghost tours through the squares at night are a great way to absorb some of the local culture and history at once.

If you venture out of Savannah out to the barrier island of Tybee don't miss the Crab Shack Restaurant. It feels like a hole in the wall but you can feed alligators and eat some really great seafood. Choose a nice night for this, the outdoor seating on the marsh is far nicer then the inside. Paula's brother's restaurant is out this way but we aren't a big fan of this place. Its more run of the mill fried seafood then down home southern cooking.

If you want to eat at the Lady & Son's restaurant be prepared to wait or show up early. Getting a sunday brunch seating there is no easy task but its well worth the fight!

Hope that helps!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    If you venture out of Savannah out to the barrier island of Tybee don't miss the Crab Shack Restaurant. It feels like a hole in the wall but you can feed alligators and eat some really great seafood. Choose a nice night for this, the outdoor seating on the marsh is far nicer then the inside. Paula's brother's restaurant is out this way but we aren't a big fan of this place. Its more run of the mill fried seafood then down home southern cooking.
    I'm thinking how could we have such differing opinions on these places, and then looked it up and realized it's the Crab Shack we went to. lol! It was so good! Not sure why I was thinking it was Paula's brother's place. I guess because they are in the same area. ??

Just throwing this out there to the OP, but did you consider Charleston as well? I love Savannah, but Charleston will always be my favorite Southern city. In fact, it's my favorite city in the U.S.

Post Thanks / Like

Three words of advice. Vinnie Van Go-Gos.

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express on Bay Street. It is very nice and clean and they have a free breakfast. My BIL does some security for them.
    Also Vinnie Van GoGo's only takes cash.
    April is a good time to visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to savannah 2 1/2 years ago. We stayed at the Inn on Ellis Square which is in-between market street and river street. The hotel is part old and part newer construction. We stayed in the regular double rooms, but they have some rooms that can hold 6 people. It was a great location at the edge of the historic district, and is is right across the street from 5 Guys Burgers and Fries.
    We went to Lady and Sons but weren't really impressed with the buffet for the price. Maybe ordering off the menu is better.
    The carriage tour was great.
    One Of the best thing we did was seeing the show at the Savannah theater.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there the last week of March 2011. Stayed at Comfort Inn on Bay Street. Easy to get to all of the squares. Trolley pick up at the hotel. river walk is across the street. Weather was cool & rainy, still had a great time.
    May & Oct 2015
    Dec 2014 Oct 2013
    Oct 2012 Dec 2011 Oct 2010
    Apr & Nov 2009
    May & Oct 2008
    Oct 2007 Oct 2006 Oct 2005
    Mar & Oct 2004
    Oct 2003
    Feb & Oct 2002
    Sep 2000 Dec 1999 Oct 1998 Sep 1997

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another recommendation, Try the Wilkes House for lunch. (formerly known as Wilkes Boarding House). Southern family style dining, that is better food than Lady & Sons. They've been serving the best southern cooking in Savannah since before Paula Deen was born. No reservations, first come, first served. Get there early to wait in line. It's worth it. M-F lunch only (11-2). You'll be glad you did if you like southern cooking.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I HEART Savannah!!!! If I could move there (or Orlando) I would do it in a heartbeat!!!!

My sister lives there, so DD and I have made that awesome trip twice since they moved. We stay with them, so I have no hotel recommendations. Sorry.

But, we always go in Spring around Easter, so I can tell you that it is typical "Spring in the South" weather. Likely to be cooler mornings, hot and kind of humid by lunch, and cooler at night. When I say "cooler", remember I am from the South. The 60's in the AM feels good to me.

DD adores Paula Deen, so Lady and Sons is always a Must-Do. Get there early (like around 8am) to line-up for lunch reservations. It is an experience, so I say go for it! It is the best collards and ho-cake I have ever had!

And the trolley is always fun. I recommend a picnic lunch in the park, also. Tybee Island is over-rated and not really worth the drive.

If you are going before Easter, there is a candy store on River Street that sells the cutest chocolate covered apples decorated like Easter-ish animals (ie lambs, ducks, etc). VERY CUTE!!!
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stay at Hampton Inn in Historic District. We like the Moon River Brewery (it's been on Travel Channel on Ghost Adventures show). If you want a nice restaurant, the Pink House is wonderful. Don't miss Forsyth Park, the fountain is pretty and has a play area the kids like. The candy store on RIver Street is awesome, they give out free pralines, too. We had trouble finding a hotel with a pool, so not sure what to suggest on that, but we never had time we were busy touring the town.

I want to get to Charleston, too, sounds nice just never have had a chance yet

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: