Quantcast Disney Dining Experience Program Changes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney Dining Experience Policy Change & Automatic Gratuity

Hi All - I just recevied an email from Disney and there was a dining change I thought was interesting:

We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team
    Last edited by John; 11-10-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    "We share the same biology, regardless of ideology" - Sting, Russians.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not right! You shouldn't automatically be required to leave a tip of that %. It should be up to the customer to decide what the tip is based on the service they received. Granted, that's about the norm for me, but it's still not right.

Thank goodness we're going before January. (TWO WEEKS!!! )
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Does that also include if you're on the Dining Plan?

All these changes lately to something simple like food has my head spinning...
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious why they sent this to you. Was this in response to an email question from you, or was this apropos of nothing?
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

The email was sent to everyone who has the DDE card.

I always tip 20%, or more if the service is exceptional.

I guess I'm going to save 2% and complain to the manager if I get poor service.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Is this only for folks using the Dining experience card or for everyone?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get the email and I'm not sure I like this change!!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I received the same email. I wonder if this just applies to places where the DDE card can be used, or if it applies to counter service also.
    I have never used the Dining Plan, so how will this work on that? Will you have an 18% "bill" given to you when you are finished with your meal?
    Dance like nobody's watching.
    1976 The original Ft Wilderness
    2002 WL
    2003 FW
    2004 FW
    2005 FW
    2006 BCV/AKL
    2006 FW
    2007 FW
    2008 FW
    2009 FW
    2009 VWL/BCV

Post Thanks / Like

According to this 18% will be added to ALL transactions that you use the DDE card on.....which means that at some CS locations you'll be tipping WHOM?!?!??!

Disney is telling us now that they'll give us a 20% discount on our bill, but 18% will now go to the servers!! Sort of negates the whole idea of having the card!!

I didn't get an email telling me this, nor have I received anything in the mail. I know that terms are subject to change at any time, but I think that they need to tell EVERYONE who has the card!!

I'm not happy........
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I received the same e mail & it states the 18% will be added to all transactions, not just DDE. This means for all that use the dining plan - the servers will still get the 18%, but now YOU have to pay it out of pocket!
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this move saves me money. I've always looked at the card as getting the tip "for free". Now, the tip will actually be a little less than we normally tip and we don't need to play with the math.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this move saves me money. I've always looked at the card as getting the tip "for free". Now, the tip will actually be a little less than we normally tip and we don't need to play with the math.
    Us too, Linda. We've always put the 20% back into the tip, rounding so that the bill is an equal amount. Now we'll save a few bucks per meal if they're going to automatically include it.

I am curious what they are going to do for CS-type locations such as Value food Courts, etcetera . . .
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney Dining Experience Policy Change & New Property Wide Gratuity Policy

The Disney Dining Experience Team has announced to its members a new policy change for obtaining membership cards, as well as, a new property wide gratuity policy that applies to all Guests.
    Greetings from the Disney Dining Experience Team!

As 2008 quickly approaches, you will begin to see some exciting new developments for the Disney Dining Experience Membership Program. You asked and we listened! Effective November 11, 2007, you will no longer have to wait 3 – 6 weeks to receive your permanent membership card(s).

Guest Relations locations at Epcot®, MAGIC KINGDOM® Park, DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM® Theme Park, Disney-MGM Studios, DOWNTOWN DISNEY® West Side, and DOWNTOWN DISNEY® Marketplace will now be able to print permanent Disney Dining Experience membership cards for immediate use. This service is designed for existing and new members. Cards produced at the Guest Relations locations will be printed on paper stock similar to the annual pass tickets.

The Disney Dining Experience office will still be available to take applications for current and new members, via the phone, fax or mail for those who do not want to take advantage of the in-park service. Membership cards ordered through the Disney Dining Experience office will be received within 2 - 3 weeks of purchase.

All Guests who have ordered their Disney Dining Experience membership cards prior to November 11, 2007 date will have to pickup their temporary cards at the main entrance Epcot® Guest Relations. Your permanent card will be sent through the mail and arrive in 3-4 weeks from the date of purchase.

We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team
    Although the announcment was not clear, Reservations Cast have confirmed that the new automatic Gratuity policy only applies to Table Service locations.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it applies to just the DDE or not.it says "across property policy change" but is not more specific than that. I would assume if they were going to do this with the Dining Plan, they will probably raise the prices - to be applied to guests who purchase it after 1/1/08.
    "We share the same biology, regardless of ideology" - Sting, Russians.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why Disney would eliminate the automatic tip from the Disney Dining Plan and add it to the Disney Dining Experience card. Didn't Disney remove it from the plan because it wasn't a good strategy?

Let the party decide the tip, and make the server work for the cash. I truly believe servers are more attentive to tables not using the Disney Dining Plan, and now folks with the Disney Dining Experience card will be stiffed.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I agree... Dan & I have always done 20% for good service... so this actually saves us a bit at some locations! But, I'm hoping this doesn't apply to those of us who don't use DDE - I like to choose the tip myself, and will certainly leave less than 18% for poor service. To think they will force everyone into an 18% tip, regardless of service, is poor form. I realize some people never tip, and that certainly isn't fair by any means to the servers - but what about folks on a budget? Some families may not be able to affore 18% on every meal - and it's unkind to force them to. I think more and more folks are going to bring granola and trail mix into the parks...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big tipper too, and I hate this!! I prefer to reserve the right to tip more or less based on the quality of service...
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it. They must have a really strong servers union or something. I have never heard of an automatic tip for even small parties. So...they eliminate the tip under the DDP and lower the price $1. Then they make the 18% an AUTOMATIC addition?
    We were considering the DDE or DDP on our next visit, but we may just go cheap, and skip it all together. I tip well for good service, but don't want to be forced to tip for poor service. What incentive is this for the servers to provide good service when they know they will get a decent tip automatically? I'm kind of disgusted with the whole dining issue at WDW at the moment....can you tell?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink&Goofy View Post
    I don't get it. They must have a really strong servers union or something. I have never heard of an automatic tip for even small parties. So...they eliminate the tip under the DDP and lower the price $1. Then they make the 18% an AUTOMATIC addition?
    We were considering the DDE or DDP on our next visit, but we may just go cheap, and skip it all together. I tip well for good service, but don't want to be forced to tip for poor service. What incentive is this for the servers to provide good service when they know they will get a decent tip automatically? I'm kind of disgusted with the whole dining issue at WDW at the moment....can you tell?
    Yup - and I agree, as you can tell above!! I just sent Disney an e-mail about this... I wonder if enough of us complain, they may think twice... sigh...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, this is placing WDW further and further down the list of future vacation spots. It's like they are purposefully pushing people away
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: