Quantcast American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

I just read this in the Hartford Courant:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World

By DERRIK J. LANG | AP Entertainment Writer
    February 7, 2008

NEW YORK - Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, dawg.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday to create a live performance attraction based on "American Idol" at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park -- formerly called Disney-MGM Studios -- in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"Our goal is to try to recreate the excitement of those 24 people who show up on that 'American Idol' stage," Disney Parks chairman Jay Rasulo told The Associated Press. "We believe many, many viewers want to know exactly how that feels, and we're going to try to reproduce that feeling for them."

Much like the hugely popular Fox singing competition, the as-yet-unnamed attraction -- scheduled to open in late 2008 -- will allow theme park guests to audition then perform before a live studio audience inside the Hollywood Studios' theater space formerly occupied by the "Doug Live!" and "Superstar Television" attractions.

Disney licensed the rights to create the attraction from "Idol" co-producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, despite the fact "American Idol" airs on Fox and Disney owns broadcast competitor ABC.

"It is owned by us, so we can extend the brand in the off-air space in the ways that we want to," said Keith Hindle, FremantleMedia's licensing vice president. "We don't see this in any way as a NewsCorp. vs. Disney debate. That's never been part of the discussion, and it's not something that's relevant to us. It's just part of 'American Idol.'"

The attraction's details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park's "Idol" stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an "Idol"-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it's likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual "American Idol" show. Hindle says Disney winners won't be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

Because of eligibility differences -- namely, the TV show's 16- to 28-year-old age limit -- winners may be offered the option of transferring their pass to a friend or family member, but they won't be allowed to sell it. Daily champs too young to audition for the real deal could save the pass until they're old enough to compete, according to Hindle.

But will there be enough Fantasias and Sanyayas to keep theme park audiences captivated?

"I know that there's enough talent on any given day in our theme parks to keep people entertained," said Rasulo.

Beyond the attraction, Hindle says actual "Idol" stars may make appearances throughout the year and merchandise designed by both FremantleMedia and Disney's product divisions especially for the attraction would be available for sale.

"It's a very collaborative process," Hindle said. "Disney knows more about live stage productions that we ever will. We know more about our TV show that Disney ever will. Exactly how this will manifest it is something that will be mutually approved by all parties. We're looking to Disney to see how their guests like to be entertained
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Although not specifically stated in released material, this new attraction will replace the former ABC Theater.

-------------------------------------------------
    The official press release:

Disney Parks to create attraction based on the television and pop culture phenomenon

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    Feb. 7, 2008

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.-- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will create an "American Idol" attraction that will bring the television and pop culture phenomenon to life at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, it was jointly announced today by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts; Simon Fuller, CEO of 19 Entertainment; and Keith Hindle, executive vice president of FremantleMedia Licensing.

The attraction, slated to debut in late 2008, will be located at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park and will follow the model of the high-energy show. Disney guests will be able to experience the challenge of auditioning, the rush of performing on stage in competition, or the thrill of judging the performances in a live interactive entertainment setting with all the glitz and glamour of the distinctive "American Idol" set.

That experience will include an audition process, open to all who register, where guests perform “live” in front of a Disney’s Hollywood Studios producer to be cast in a theme park show. After backstage preparation -- working with a vocal coach, hair and make-up -- it’s lights up and showtime in front of a “live” audience and a panel of judges.

Guest performers with the highest votes will compete in an end-of-day Grand Finale show at Walt Disney World, and the winner of the Grand Finale show will receive a guaranteed reservation for a future regional stadium audition -- to ensure no waiting in long lines. But when it comes down to the television show auditions, everyone is treated equal.
    "Millions of people have imagined themselves standing on the 'American Idol' stage," said Rasulo. "We're excited that we will be bringing this dream to life every day at Walt Disney World."

Added Fuller, "One of the most remarkable elements about 'American Idol' is that for a brief moment each week, we can provide TV viewers the opportunity to imagine life as America's next superstar. Disney's new attraction perfectly captures what we at 'American Idol' feel is the heart and soul of this brand, real people getting a shot to make their dream a reality."

"This partnership," noted Hindle, "brings the number one show on television, watched in over 100 countries, to the number one theme park destination in the world. It's a perfect combination and opportunity to offer everyone a taste of the 'American Idol' experience."

The coming "American Idol" attraction will reflect the best and brightest of the TV show, giving starry-eyed park guests a chance to become a star on the attraction's stage. It joins an all-star lineup at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a celebration of today's Hollywood in movies, television, music and theater. Among the new adventures debuting in 2008 is the just-opened "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" plus coming attractions "Block Party Bash," an interactive and moving Disney-Pixar spectacle filling the theme park streets; and Toy Story Mania! immersing guests in a 3-D interactive ride-through video game starring popular Disney-Pixar "Toy Story" characters.

About 19 Entertainment

Simon Fuller's 19 Entertainment (of CKX, Inc., a publicly traded company listed on the NASDAQ National Market® under the ticker symbol "CKXE") is recognized as a leading creator, provider and promoter of globally successful music-based entertainment, or "entertainment brands." The company has attracted a unique collection of expertise in people who work together to integrate and leverage activity across television, film, touring, merchandising, music publishing, recording, artist / writer and producer management, sponsorship and promotion. Simon Fuller is the most successful British music manager of all time having sold over 116 million CDs in North America alone, and is known as the creator of "American Idol," the most valuable TV format in the world with an estimated value in excess of $2.5 billion. For further information, visit americanidol.com.

About FremantleMedia Enterprises & FremantleMedia

FremantleMedia Enterprises is the content exploitation arm of FremantleMedia, offering a one-stop-shop for all Licensing, Distribution and Home Entertainment. It is a division of FremantleMedia, one of the largest international creators and producers of entertainment brands in the world with leading prime time drama, serial drama, entertainment and factual entertainment programming in over 40 countries worldwide. FremantleMedia is a subsidiary of RTL Group, Europe's largest television and radio broadcast company, which is 90% owned by Bertelsmann AG, an integrated media and entertainment company that commands leading positions in the world's media markets. For further information, visit remantlemedia.com.

About FremantleMedia North America

FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) is the U.S. production division of global media giant FremantleMedia. Based in Burbank, California, FMNA produces entertaining and innovative television programs for network, cable and syndicated platforms, including the Emmy-nominated musical/reality phenomenon "American Idol" (FOX), "The Next Great American Band" (FOX), "America's Got Talent" (NBC), "American Inventor" (ABC), "Thank God You're Here" (NBC), "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency" (Oxygen), "Property Ladder" (TLC), "Family Feud" (syndicated), "Temptation" (syndicated), "Million Dollar Password" (CBS), and the longest-running game show in television history, "The Price Is Right" (CBS).

About Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are where dreams come true. Disney features a collection of five of the world's leading family vacation destinations. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line; the Disney Vacation Club; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world's most popular destinations; the ESPN Zone dining and entertainment centers; the World of Disney stores; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts and attractions.

---------------------------------------------------

Here's the released concept art:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I've known about this for about 2 months but couldn't share the info - indeed it's on the way confirmed by internal press releases...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Start warming up those vocal chords intercot!
    Last edited by John; 02-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My only hope is that Disney isn't getting into this as the brand is so diluted that it won't be around 2-3 years from now.

Regardless, it will be nice to see the empty space filled in the Studios and Idol is a good fit.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

They really have run out of ideas, haven't they?
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    They really have run out of ideas, haven't they?
    Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking.

This is pathetic.

And before everyone asks me why I say that ... here's why:

• #1, this is clearly something that's going to be done for next to no money. Another example of Disney filling empty space that used to be occupied by a great attraction (i.e. Superstar Studio) with cheap-o filler.
    • It continues the trend of too many new attractions being shows or movies. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... WHERE ARE THE DARK RIDES??
    • It's not their own idea. They once again went out and drew in someone else's intellectual property when so many of their own successful properties are still underexposed in the theme parks. I don't go to Disney World to see American Idol ... I go to see Disney characters, Disney properties, or at a very minimum ideas and concepts that feel Disney (i.e. Indy, Star Wars, etc.).
    • It's going to be exclusionary. Only people who can sing or have a desire to make fools of themselves (of which I am neither) will be able to enjoy the attraction.
    Maybe I'm overreacting and I'll feel better about it after I have time to digest it, but right now I hate it.

To me this represents the lowest Disney World has sunk to date in terms of new attractions. And that includes all the recent disasters like Stitch, Imagination, and Spaceship Earth. At least those pretended to be original!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, but I'm so over American Idol. It just doesn't interest me, really never has. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see the big draw for this in the long term...

And I know there are very few who will agree, but IMO, it would be easier to build a karaoke bar and remodel when or if it became a lame duck.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

And before people start posting about Imagineering's lack of creativity and what were they thinking posts-

Imagineering will be involved in the execution of the project but read below for a snippet that appeared in Variety:

Producers have considered the concept for about a year and mulled whether to set up smaller stages at multiple parks or focus on a larger experience at one venue.

“We wanted to make ‘Idol’ a year-round experience,” Hindle said.

Financial terms of the licensing deal were not disclosed, but 19 and Fremantle will oversee the design and construction of the attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Just what we need, more of the glorified karaoke contest...

Are there absolutely no other ideas for this space?

Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    And before people start posting about Imagineering's lack of creativity and what were they thinking posts-

Imagineering will be involved in the execution of the project but read below for a snippet that appeared in Variety:

Producers have considered the concept for about a year and mulled whether to set up smaller stages at multiple parks or focus on a larger experience at one venue.

“We wanted to make ‘Idol’ a year-round experience,” Hindle said.

Financial terms of the licensing deal were not disclosed, but 19 and Fremantle will oversee the design and construction of the attraction.
    Mufasa ... I don't think anyone will blame Imagineering for this one. This has "brain dead suit" written all over it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the ill-fated California Adventure hit "Who Wants to be a Millionaire, PLAY IT!" to me.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't an April Fools joke or something?

I'm actually kind of excited about this. I know I haven't done a ride review in awhile but I've been looking forward to giving something negative stars. This could be the chance!

I think they should go the extra mile and have 3 judges insult the people who can't sing. Often when planning vacations I think "now where can I go to have my singing insulted by a British guy?" This could fill that void in the marketplace!

This idea is money, people, MONEY!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

twocents:Can't wait to "see and hear" it, (if it's up and running by November), considering that 99.9% of all those who try out for AI couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a handle on it. Or maybe the "Co." is betting on the fact that it might just draw "contestants" who will need a park pass to compete, buy food, stay in a onsite resort, etc, etc. Maybe William Hung could MC

Post Thanks / Like

After getting over my initial reaction, a thought...

So... the audience gets to vote?

Sounds like we need a Disney branch of Vote for the Worst...
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow talk about another reason to avoid the Disney Lamewood Studios

I can't even imagine sitting through this attraction/show I mean mess

This could sigal an alltime low for Disney IMHO

I have to agree this show totally excludes many guests and you would think they would have learned about the short shelf life of attractions like this after Millionare.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

They are about 4-5 years late opening this thing and even then most people wouldn't do it anyway. I don't see how this will be good at all...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I love Idol, but this is so lame...another new attraction (IE: Laugh Floor, Stitch) that'll be a one and done for me (see it once, never see it again).
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Ughhh...no thanks, I'll pass.

I hate to say this....but man, it seems like Disney is getting desperate. They have no good ideas any more. They just keep throwing out the same thing over and over and over again.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have 2 questions:

1) How long till American Idol drops out of the spot light and the attraction becomes a multi-million dollar waste of money?

2) What were the other ideas that were tossed around the room and got turned down?
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: