Quantcast "Princess" and "Health" Suites Coming to WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb "Princess" and "Health" Suites Coming to WDW

The following story is in today's Orlando Sentinel -

Disney converting hotel rooms into 'princess,' 'health' suites

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
    11:59 PM EDT, April 25, 2011

Walt Disney World is converting some of its 25,000 hotel rooms into moderately priced, princess-themed rooms and high-end, "health-and-wellness" suites, in a bid to carve out new niches from within its existing hotels.

The overhauls are part of a directive across the Walt Disney Co.'s theme-park division to develop more specialty hotel rooms that appeal to targeted demographics. The initiative includes the company's first new hotel in Orlando in nearly a decade: Disney's Art of Animation Resort, in which more than half of the roughly 2,000 hotel rooms will be basic suites aimed at budget-conscious families.

"We are really putting significant focus and intensity and resources into driving that strategy," said Mark Rucker, vice president of lodging for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

The emphasis on niche hotel rooms comes as Disney seeks ways to lure new visitors to its U.S. theme parks. Disney World and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., draw close to 70 million people a year combined, but experts say they could struggle to grow further unless they are able to tap into new pockets of travelers.

Disney also expects the specialty rooms to deliver higher nightly rates than conventional hotel rooms by attracting vacationers willing to pay a premium for select amenities — be it a Princess-and-the-Frog-themed headboard or an in-room yoga session.

"The more segmented you can become, the more you can match the segmentation of consumer demand," said Bill Carroll, a senior lecturer at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration. "That gives you the opportunity to price differentially."

With the new hotel rooms, Disney is, perhaps not surprisingly, placing its biggest bet on the company's well-known lineup of princesses.

Disney says it plans to transform about a quarter of the 2,000 rooms in the "Riverside" section of Disney's Port Orleans Resort into "Royal Rooms." Billed as rooms that the princesses themselves have stayed in during vacations, they will include many nods to the animated heroines, from bathroom faucets in the shape of Aladdin's genie lamp to the footstool that came to life as a dog in Beauty in the Beast.

It's a concept Disney has dubbed "storybook" hotel rooms — rooms that are more lavishly themed than conventional hotel rooms and are devoted to key company franchises. The company previously converted a wing of rooms in Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to a pirates theme, and those have proven so popular that the resort has been able to charge a $30-a-night premium for them.

Disney says the 512 Royal Rooms will open to guests in February or March of next year. They will debut the same year that Disney World begins opening a multiyear expansion of the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland section, in which central additions will be based on The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves — all princess movies.

In addition, Disney is banking on the princess makeover to ensure that travelers remain willing to pay a premium to stay at Port Orleans, which, like Caribbean Beach, is priced as a "moderate" resort, Disney's middle tier. Those rooms will be among the most vulnerable to losing business to the new Art of Animation Resort, a lower-priced, "value" hotel. Art of Animation, which will have 1,120 family suites and 864 regular rooms, will open in phases beginning in May 2012.

In another move designed to prevent trading down, Disney says it is also replacing the full-sized beds that had been standard in all Port Orleans rooms with queen-sized beds. Disney's deluxe hotels — its most expensive category — already have queen beds.

"We really wanted to focus on our moderate product," Rucker said.

Rucker said Disney is also developing new plans for the suites in its deluxe hotels — beginning with 23 in Disney's Contemporary Resort that will be refurbished to attract health-conscious travelers. Disney says it will convert the entire 14th floor of that hotel to a health-and-wellness theme, complete with a private yoga studio, custom-designed menus, and concierge services.

The rooms themselves will be outfitted with amenities such as bamboo floors, low-allergen pillows and mattresses, exercise equipment and massage tables. Disney says it expects the suites to open by November.

Some experts think those rooms may prove a tricky sell, even for Disney.

"For them to carve out any inventory and specialize in those kind of rooms, I'm not sure they're going to see a lot of returns," said Scott Smith, a lodging instructor in the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management. "It seems to me that it's such a small, niche market, whereas families going to Disney who like princesses or pirates are huge."

Disney says it views the Contemporary suites as a pilot program. "This is a test for us," Rucker said.

Disney officials would not say how much they are spending on the specialty rooms. Rucker said only that it is "quite a substantial amount above and beyond" what the company spends on its routine refurbishment programs. Disney hotels typically undergo "soft" renovations — in which bedding, curtains and other fabrics are replaced — every six years, and "hard" renovations — replacing fixtures and such — every 12 years.
    Last edited by Ed; 04-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sheesh ... what a weirdo idea. I mean, I get the Princess suites and well I guess okay. The Pirate suites seem to have done well, so fine do Princess ones.

But yoga suites?? How weird ... I mean just a totally kooky idea, if you ask me. Seems like a real reach and one likely to fall flat.

Does Disney really attract the granola set?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the key thing I see in that description that I think is going to work: "bamboo floors and low-allergen pillows". For families with sensitivities to mold/mildew/chemicals, having a room without carpeting, especially in Florida, is huge. And it emphasizes the availability of healthy food choices, which may not be obvious to folks who've not been there before.

It may open up Disney as an option to people who would otherwise never consider it. Will it be a giant success? Hard to say. I'm intrigued, but we've already established that I'm weird.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Here's the key thing I see in that description that I think is going to work: "bamboo floors and low-allergen pillows". For families with sensitivities to mold/mildew/chemicals, having a room without carpeting, especially in Florida, is huge. And it emphasizes the availability of healthy food choices, which may not be obvious to folks who've not been there before.
    True, but the article reads like these rooms are going to be expensive (suites at the Contemporary? $500 - $600 a night for openers). Not every family with a kid with an allergy can afford that, that's for sure.

I don't know look, this definitely isn't my space ... I take care of myself, but I'm not like freaky about it. The last thing I'm thinking about when I'm in Disney World is yoga or eating healthy. I'm on vacation?
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

True, but not everyone eats like I do when they are on vacation. There are people who like to pamper themselves in different ways than we do. It's just an attempt to widen their demographic using a small percentage of rooms. If it doesn't work, they have some snazzy looking suites to sell at a higher price.

I actually think the room looks really cool. Though I kinda want to slide on the floor in my socks.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the AB section will get these? I still want to know if they will be taking the trundle beds out of those buildings since they are going to all queen beds...Also, have there been any prices released for the new Art of Animation resort?
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised (neither I think are any of you) with the Princess announcement. I'm not terribly impressed, but I do agree that the little girls will love it, and will increase occupancy at POR, which is such a large resort.

Hmm...the health rooms, now these are a bit more interesting. I thought of allergy sufferers too, when I first read it, so it might be an interesting mix of those who like the "health" aspect, and those who will like the "quieter" Disney stay.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    suites at the Contemporary? $500 - $600 a night for openers
    You can't get a suite at the Contempoary for $500 to $600. The standard Tower rooms are already pushing $500/night or more.

The least expensive suite in the Tower is $645/night during value season. A one bedroom suite goes for $1260/night in value season!

Post Thanks / Like

The princess rooms look so neat, but I wonder what the prices will be like.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The princess rooms, though not surprising, will definitely be a plus. The health suits certainly look contemporary but seem completely unaffordable for you average vacationer.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think both rooms look great. Pretty sure we will never be able to afford a stay in the health suite but the princess rooms will be a big hit with my daughter (and me) I just hope the price of the room doesn't increase dramatically.
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the Princess rooms will be the $30 premium charge just like the Pirate rooms at CBR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post
    I wonder if the AB section will get these? I still want to know if they will be taking the trundle beds out of those buildings since they are going to all queen beds...Also, have there been any prices released for the new Art of Animation resort?
    I'm curious about the trundle beds too, with the change to queen beds! We stayed at POR primarily because we are a family of 5! (happy that it was one of our only options, because we ended up loving it there!) Is our only option going to be Art of Animation or Deluxe once it happens? I'll be sad to not be able to stay at POR anymore.

(mostly off topic - but I'm still wishing they would add a Tiana and Naveen character meal at Boatwrights! At least once a week or something! They are almost impossible to see at the Park. Only a few meet and greets a day and the line often gets closed down for being full!)
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCrazy View Post
    You can't get a suite at the Contempoary for $500 to $600. The standard Tower rooms are already pushing $500/night or more.

The least expensive suite in the Tower is $645/night during value season. A one bedroom suite goes for $1260/night in value season!

Wow, thanks for correcting me there. My cost perspective on those rooms must be way out of date. But yeah now that you say it, I guess I know that Tower rooms are near $500 a night so it would make sense that a suite would be significantly more than that.

Makes me more glad than ever to be a DVC member!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hunch those health suites aren't designed for the typical WDW guest, but more for the business/convention/I-have-so-much-money-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-it guests. It makes staying in Disney World "trendy" for a certain set. And if the "Contemporary Resort" is to stick with its theme, they have to do stuff like this to keep up with trends in business travel.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how a health suite will go - I think just a room dedicated to a healthier environment may have been a better choice. But I guess time will tell on that one. However, I am totally intrigued by the Princess rooms! When I'm on vacation, I'd LOVE to feel as if I'm royalty and since only Ian got to experience the Castle suite, I think this is a great way to give those of us who didn't get that chance an opportunity to experience that "royal" feeling. I've already paid the premium to stay in a Pirate room so the additional cost would most likely be good with us. I really love the pic! Thanks for posting Melanie!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like the Princess Concept rooms we saw last summer. There was also a Haunted Mansion concept I thought would have been fun, maybe it's coming to another resort later. Although, other than PO I'm not sure where HM would fit.

Personally, I like the themed rooms and can see the Princess rooms being very popular. If I had young daughters I'd definitely stay in one.

As far as the Health suites go, I guess if there are people already spending $1260 a night for a one bedroom suite, then the cost of a healthier room would be no object for them. I'm sure it will become popular with some folks.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

These health suites are not geared towards families with children. There is workout equipment IN the room! That's a liability with small children, particularly if we're talking about treadmills or any type of weight machines.

This is a VERY popular thing in California hotels. Many of them have "spa rooms" or "workout rooms" or a combo of both. There are even several resorts entirely dedicated to this idea. The Westin chain also offers "The Westin Workout Room" at many of its locations, including the Swan! I think this is Disney's attempt to capitalize on the segment of the population that frequents these establishments, and most of the ones I know of are $$$$, so it would be nothing new there. I would love to stay in one of those types of rooms, but the fact that they are all suites makes it unaffordable. I guess this is what they decided to do with the 14th floor. That floor is small (number of rooms) anyway and it was always sort of awkward that those suites didn't get the refurb. This at least makes those suites/rooms worthy of the big price tags.

Now, honestly, the Royal rooms...totally lost me on that one. It seems like that demographic is WAY too narrow for a moderate resort. How many families with boys will be willing to stay in one of those rooms? I think a more gender neutral approach would have worked better...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post
    I'm curious about the trundle beds too, with the change to queen beds! We stayed at POR primarily because we are a family of 5! (happy that it was one of our only options, because we ended up loving it there!) Is our only option going to be Art of Animation or Deluxe once it happens? I'll be sad to not be able to stay at POR anymore.
    I thought I read that the POFQ queen bed conversion didn't take much away from the room and instead just made the nightstand smaller, so the trundle beds might stick around. But, we're not taking the risk, so we're staying there on our next trip in March just in case it's the last chance my family of 5 can stay there in one room. We loved the resort on our last trip, but we were there for only one night before switching to Boardwalk.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR