Quantcast NextGen, Magic Band, and FP+

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NextGen, Magic Band, and FP+

Word is starting to filter into the social media arena regarding NextGen... Lots of rumors and what ifs... However, we now have word straight from the mouth of the mouse... This is quoted from {a January 3, 2013 internal bulletin to Cast Members} ...

Soon, Walt Disney World Resort will introduce tools that allow guests to use technology to customize and personalize their vacation, along with more guest enhancements that will continue to be tested and implemented in the coming years. Many of these efforts are part of MyMagic+, which has the ability to connect nearly all aspects of the guest experience.

• My Disney Experience, a new website and mobile application, will provide a one-stop shop for all things Walt Disney World during every phase of a guest’s vacation. Guests may use My Disney Experience to get information on all Walt Disney World offerings, reserve dining and other experiences and make FastPass+ selections in advance.
    • Disney FastPass+ service will allow guests to lock in some of their must-do attractions and show experiences in advance, freeing them to explore and discover the magic in Walt Disney World theme parks and resort hotels. For the first time, guests will be able to reserve firework and parade viewing areas, shows, Disney Character Greetings and more.
    • The new MagicBand, worn on the wrist, will become the key to unlocking the magic, serving as room key, park admission, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and payment account (optional) all rolled into one.
    • MyMagic+, as well as other guest experience enhancements, will continue to be tested and implemented in the coming years. We are continually looking at ways to take the entire Disney Parks experience to the next level at all of our destinations based on the unique ways our guests enjoy diverse sites. Guests, Cast, Crew, and Imagineer feedback will continue to be a critical part of the process in shaping these offerings.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Message Updated by John on 01-07-2013 at 09:10 AM:

From the Disney Blog this morning:

Taking the Disney Guest Experience to the Next Level

Posted: 07 Jan 2013 01:59 AM PST

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for our guests. We’re always looking for ways to take what we do and do it even better. Over the past few years, we’ve devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us. I know there’s been significant speculation about these efforts among our fans, so we’re pleased to give you a glimpse into the work we are doing to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead

Update for 1/11/13:

More details posted below

Update for 1/15/13:

Additional details regarding privacy issues posted below
    Last edited by John; 01-07-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Clarified original source of quote
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I like the wrist key to the world idea.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the wrist option...wearing something for ten days???? What about annual passes and small children.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    I don't like the wrist option...wearing something for ten days????
    You're still allowed to wear pants with pockets.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

I like the wrist band idea actually. Wonder if this will save the all annoying, pull your card out during evening EMH?
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I'm OK with the switch to RFID technology, but I am not big on the wristband idea. I hope this is like a watch band which is adjustable, can be taken of (to sleep, shower, etc.) and then put back on. But I could see why WDW would not want the bands to be easily removed and put back on.

I read on the WDW web site that park admissions tickets, as of now, can only be used with classic Fast Pass or Fast Pass+, but not both. That makes it seem like the classic Fast Pass program may be on the chopping block or will only be available to Annual Pass holders, day visitors, etc.

Also, I wonder how this will work with park admission tickets with the no expiration option. I wonder if the only admission media that will be compatible with the wrist bands are Magic Your Way tickets that expire 14 days after first use. DL resort doesn't sell park tickets with the no-expiration option and I wonder if WDW is trying to copy that (although I hope they don't).

Post Thanks / Like

It was just reported on GDNY Fox 5 that according to Reuters, jobs cuts are necessary at WDW to pay for these new technology upgrades which will begin in the spring. I'm a bit surprised they didn't say anything about ticket increases.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! Now I am going to end up with 'watch band' tan lines on my wrist every time I visit!!!

I don't mind the RFID idea at all, just wish they had a better way of implementing it.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Dang! Now I am going to end up with 'watch band' tan lines on my wrist every time I visit!!!

I don't mind the RFID idea at all, just wish they had a better way of implementing it.
    Like surgical implants?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Like surgical implants?
    LOL That would work for me!! Just give me a chip like you use for tracking your pets!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still concerned about Fastpass+, has anyone seen how early you can reserve fastpasses?
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

How soon is this to be implemented?
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    I'm still concerned about Fastpass+, has anyone seen how early you can reserve fastpasses?
    Actually, I never thought about it that way....hmmm, this could be a problem with fastpass+ being sold out 180 days in advance for the most popular rides like Soarin, the mountains at the MK, ToT, RRC, and Everest.

Also, I think that they will also have the same problem with people making many Fastpass+ reservations, but never actually going like what used to happen with people making multiple ADR's at multiple parks so they could have flexibility.

Now, I am not sure that the advance Fastpass+ is something that I will like in general. I hope that they find a way to limit it. Perhaps only allowing an individual that is staying at a resort to reserve 1 Fastpass+ per person per day. We'll see.
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn
    How soon is this to be implemented?
    Parts of it are already in place, although not using the "Magic Band".

See Roll-Out of "NextGen" RFID Program for info on for what is installed and active so far.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I love the wristband idea! No more fumbling with wallets, purses bags etc to find your park ticket. Would likely cut down on lines for resort guests to get into the parks.

When we were there in December they were already using the RFID scanners in place of some of the traditional card scanners and turnstiles. Once people realized you only had to tap your card and not hold it there lines moved pretty quickly. Annoyingly you did still need to scan your finger.

We also tested fastpass +, personally we loved it. If they do it in a similar fashion as to how it was done for our trial period, 3 rides in one park on one day booked ~1 week prior to arrival, I'd be all about it. Assuming also that its included as a resort perk.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't wear watches or bracelets for a reason. I lose them! I'd need to see the wristbands before making a judgement but I foresee a lot of visits to guest relations in my future. And what's to stop someone from taking another's wristband and using it as their own? Are they keeping the biometric scans at turnstiles?
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Are they keeping the biometric scans at turnstiles?
    As of right now the nexgen entrances that are open and functional still have the finger tip scan.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfun View Post
    Actually, I never thought about it that way....hmmm, this could be a problem with fastpass+ being sold out 180 days in advance for the most popular rides like Soarin, the mountains at the MK, ToT, RRC, and Everest.

Also, I think that they will also have the same problem with people making many Fastpass+ reservations, but never actually going like what used to happen with people making multiple ADR's at multiple parks so they could have flexibility.

Now, I am not sure that the advance Fastpass+ is something that I will like in general. I hope that they find a way to limit it. Perhaps only allowing an individual that is staying at a resort to reserve 1 Fastpass+ per person per day. We'll see.
    Those are the same problems I have, if its 180 days out, then that's a massive problem, i hate it.

I actually don't think it should be more than 24-48 hours in advance, but we know that won't be the case.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Those are the same problems I have, if its 180 days out, then that's a massive problem, i hate it.

I actually don't think it should be more than 24-48 hours in advance, but we know that won't be the case.
    That part hasn't been announced. Wait for it before getting too upset. It's all still in rollout. They do say, however, that once you can choose at home and once you arrive at WDW you can change your choices on the fly. The say they are trying to make things more flexible not less. However, there are still lots of specifics to hear about.

The band can be removed when you want to and you don't have to wear it. It's also totally opt in. If you don't want to do it you don't have to but then you won't have access to FP+
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    That part hasn't been announced. Wait for it before getting too upset. It's all still in rollout. They do say, however, that once you can choose at home and once you arrive at WDW you can change your choices on the fly. The say they are trying to make things more flexible not less. However, there are still lots of specifics to hear about.

The band can be removed when you want to and you don't have to wear it. It's also totally opt in. If you don't want to do it you don't have to but then you won't have access to FP+
    I'm just afraid its going to turn out to be a lot like ADRs, the hot one's are going to be near impossible to get the closer to the date of the park visit.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter