Quantcast Turner Classic Movies to Host The Great Movie Ride Beginning Spring 2015

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Turner Classic Movies to Host The Great Movie Ride Beginning Spring 2015

Turner Classic Movies and Disney are teaming up to make changes on the Great Movie Ride. Disney to provide programming to TCM.

via press release:

Turner Classic Movies, Walt Disney World Resort and The Walt Disney Studios
    Team Up to Share Stories Centered on Classic Film
    Features Include New TCM Integration in Theme Park Attraction and On-Air Showcase of Disney Treasures

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) today announced new strategic relationships with Walt Disney World Resort and The Walt Disney Studios to broaden its reach in family entertainment with joint efforts centered on classic film.

At Disney's Hollywood Studios, the "The Great Movie Ride" Attraction highlights some of the most famous film moments in silver screen history and is set to receive a TCM-curated refresh of the pre-show and the finale. TCM branding will be integrated into the attraction's marquee as well as banners, posters and display windows outside the attraction. In the queue line, families will enjoy new digital movie posters and will watch a new pre-ride video with TCM host Robert Osborne providing illuminating insights from the movies some of which guests will experience during the ride. The finale will feature an all-new montage of classic movie moments. After guests exit the attraction, they will have a photo opportunity with a classic movie theme. The TCM-curated refresh is set to launch by spring.

As part of the relationship with The Walt Disney Studios, TCM will launch Treasures from the Disney Vault, a recurring on-air showcase that will include such live-action Disney features as Treasure Island(1950), Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) and Pollyanna (1960); animated films like The Three Caballeros (1944) and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949); classic nature documentaries, including The Living Desert (1953) and The African Lion (1955); made-for-television classics, such as the Davy Crockett series; special episodes from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color; documentaries about the studio, including Walt & El Grupo (2009) and Waking Sleeping Beauty (2010); and animated shorts, such as 1932's Oscar®-winning "Flowers and Trees."

Treasures from the Disney Vault is scheduled to premiere on TCM Sunday, Dec. 21 at 8 p.m. The opening night will include the holiday and winter animated shorts "Santa's Workshop," "On Ice" and "Chip An' Dale," followed by The Disneyland Story. The night will also include The Reluctant Dragon, Disney's 1941 film that combined a live-action tour of the Walt Disney Studios facility with animated shorts; Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955), a compilation of the first three episodes of the iconic series starring Fess Parker; the Oscar®-winning documentary The Vanishing Prairie (1954), part of Disney's True Life Adventureseries; the rarely seen Third Man on the Mountain (1959), an Alpine tale starring Michael Rennie and James MacArthur; and Perilous Assignment (1959), a documentary about the making of Third Man on the Mountain.

"At TCM, it's our mission to share and celebrate the greatest films of all time," said Jennifer Dorian, general manager of TCM. "Disney provides the perfect relationship through which we can share the magic of the movies with every generation, not only through an amazing new showcase on TCM, but also through newly refreshed components of 'The Great Movie Ride' Attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios."

"We are looking forward to this collaboration, which complements Disney's commitment to telling great stories and immersing our guests in family entertainment," said Tiffany Rende, senior vice president of Disney Corporate Alliances and Operating Participants. "Through this alliance, we are able to share more classic Disney stories with TCM audiences, while further enhancing the guest experience by showcasing TCM content and talent."

This marks an expansion of TCM's already robust relationship with the family entertainment and media enterprise. TCM set sail on its fourth TCM Classic Cruise in October 2014, the second aboard the Disney Cruise Line's Disney Magic. In addition, TCM has collaborated with Buena Vista Home Entertainment on various initiatives, including the 2008 documentary The Age of Believing: The Disney Live-Action Classics, which premiered in conjunction with a 25-movie showcase of family classics. The 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood featured a multi-film collection of Disney classics presented in collaboration with D23, The Official Disney Fan Club. And the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival featured the 50th Anniversary screening of one of Walt Disney's most successful films Mary Poppins (1964) at Disney's El Capitan Theatre.
    Last edited by John; 11-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to GMR getting a refresh with the collaboration of TCM and Disney.

From The New York Times:
    The Turner Classic Movies cable channel is joining with two divisions of the Walt Disney Company for an agreement, to be announced on Wednesday, that underlines how media giants are increasingly collaborating on content-marketing efforts.

TCM will help the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division make changes to the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at the Disney’s Hollywood Studios section of Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

In return, TCM will receive “Presented by” credits at the attraction on posters, banners, display windows, marquees and the like, which will also display the TCM logo.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a perfect marriage, and one I have been eager to see for years! I am very excited to see what happens now that two of my favourite things have joined together!!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! Still my favorite DHS ride so glad its getting a makeover

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

So glad it is getting a long due make over.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Yea!!! I wonder what/how extensive the changes will be, but I'm happy that they will be working on it ... and what an appropriate partner!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Given Turner's ownership of the pre-1986 MGM library (among others), this looks like a very good move.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Excited to see the changes. Any idea on how long it will take to complete!!
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Good news!

I am shocked they aren't going to change it to the "Frozen Movie Ride."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom15 View Post
    Any idea on how long it will take to complete!!
    Let's see, if they make an official announcement today, they should be able to have the really important changes done by Monday. Even with the Holiday, it shouldn't take longer than that to slap a few hundred TCM logos all over everywhere.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite rides, can't wait to see the changes.
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Good news!

I am shocked they aren't going to change it to the "Frozen Movie Ride."
    Don't give them any more ideas!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone actually read the article?

As of right now, the only changes are to the queue and the finale montage.

No scene changes.

Early 2015 time frame; quick refurb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    Did anyone actually read the article?

As of right now, the only changes are to the queue and the finale montage.

No scene changes.

Early 2015 time frame; quick refurb.
    Disney still has not made the official announcement. There could be scene changes over time. Other details are leaking out, including that Robert Osbourne will provide a narration for the actual ride, and there will be a classic movie themed photo op at the end of the ride. I think this is all good thing. We are big TCM fans in our house
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

So, if Robert Osbourne is doing a narration for the ride, does that mean the live actors (and the corresponing skit) will be eliminated? I wonder how they're going to work all that out.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Disney still has not made the official announcement. There could be scene changes over time. Other details are leaking out, including that Robert Osbourne will provide a narration for the actual ride, and there will be a classic movie themed photo op at the end of the ride. I think this is all good thing. We are big TCM fans in our house
    All I've read in the orlando sentinel and other reputable sources is that Robert Osborne is narrating the pre-show/pre-ride video.

And yes, changes could and hopefully will come over time... But right now, just the pre and post show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    So, if Robert Osbourne is doing a narration for the ride, does that mean the live actors (and the corresponing skit) will be eliminated? I wonder how they're going to work all that out.
    Not the ride... just the pre/post shows...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry If I presented wrong information. Yes Osbourne is hosting the pre show movie for sue, but there was a line actually from the Sentinal article that I thought indicated he was also narrating the ride. After it talks about the pre show the article states "Osborne will also provide audio for the ride, including more in-depth explanations of the film genres it explores." I have not seen this anywhere else though, including the official TCM release.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The current ride does have some narration in between when you lose your driver and when you get to the temple scene ("You are aboard the spaceship Nostromo ... ").

It could be that maybe.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Updated the thread to include the official press release from TCM
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: