Quantcast Star Wars Headed to Hollywood Studios in 2016

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Star Wars Headed to Hollywood Studios in 2016

From the Orlando Weekly:
    http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/a...ong-possiblity

With what seems to be half of the park closing at Disney’s Hollywood Studios the rumors of things opening anytime soon seem to be rare. However, one rumor that keeps popping up is a Star Wars preview center taking residence in the former The Magic of Disney Animation attraction area.

Numerous Disney fan blogs are now reporting some aspect of Star Wars to be in Disney’s Hollywood Studios by the time the new film is released this December.

Hollywood Studios has long relied on Star Wars Weekends as one of its main drivers for attendance. The popular festival is a must visit for Star Wars fans each spring. Numerous panels, autograph sessions and specialty merchandise are featured at the event that stretches over multiple weekends. Star Wars is one of the major aspects of Hollywood Studios redo with the new Star Wars land replacing up to nearly a third of the existing park.

The strongest rumors include a new meet and greet in a replica Millennium Falcon deck (likely an exact replica of the deck being installed on Disney Cruise Line ships). The popular Animation Academy classes look to be returning, but with a Star Wars theme. That attraction will focus on the animated version of Star Wars.

The most interesting rumors regarding this new mini-Star Wars pavilion include a Star Wars Launch Bay, similar to the one announced for Shanghai Disneyland, that would include movie props from the films. A similar movie prop based attraction is also expected to open in Disneyland Anaheim this Fall as well.

Also expected at this new, temporary pavilion is a ‘blue-sky’ display center that will feature models and updates to the Star Wars land being built on the opposite side of the park. The display center will be similar to the one currently included in the One Man’s Dream attraction at Hollywood Studios; that attraction will likely close soon as construction in surrounding areas of the park picks up. Disney also included a similar ‘blue-sky’ preview center during its major redo of Disney California Adventure. That park’s redo is viewed as the closest thing to what Disney is planning, at least scale wise, to Hollywood Studios.

The attractions just to the south of the former Magic of Disney Animation are strongly rumored to be closing within the next few months. The Jack Sparrow attraction closed in November. Both attractions are expected to close by September 27, the end of the fiscal year for Disney. Those buildings are expected to be torn down as part of the Pixar expansion for the park.

Parts of the new Star Wars temporary pavilion were formerly rumored to be heading to Epcot as part of its 2016 line-up but have since moved parks, a move largely viewed as an acceptance of the lack of attractions currently offered in DHS.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

3 Star Wars fans in my household are going to be really happy!!

Me....not so much, never really liked the movies, but excited for those who are big fans..........

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I may visit this park less than I do now. Not a fan of Star Wars -- never was. I wish they would do more rides/shows on themes of Disney Movies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    Me....not so much, never really liked the movies, but excited for those who are big fans..........
    Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    I guess I may visit this park less than I do now. Not a fan of Star Wars -- never was. I wish they would do more rides/shows on themes of Disney Movies.
    The Star Wars (well, the new ones) and Pixar movies ARE Disney movies. After this makeover, the stuff in DHS will arguably be more centered around Disney properties than it is currently.

I get not caring for the movies. They're not everyone's cup of tea. But as far as cultural impact in our society & world, Star Wars is *much* bigger than Harry Potter, which Universal has done a great job with. But a lot of us WDW fans have been complaining for years that TDO hasn't done enough to counter Universal's Harry Potter additions. Well, this is not just a direct shot across Universal Studio's bow, but is a crushing blow.

I mean, Universal and Harry Potter world aren't going away...not even close. But people kept complaining that New Fantasyland was a feeble attempt by WDW to counter the things that Universal was doing with Harry Potter. I would submit that New Fantasyland was never intended to counter HP at all. It was simply to update & expand the park so that it could have higher attendance numbers. Remaking DHS into a Star Wars and Pixar mecca will increase attendance at DHS by *a lot*. It will become a multi-day park, rather than a one-shot, maybe half-day park.

Of course, this all depends on just how well they do it. It looks like they're committed, with the money they're throwing at it. I can't wait to see what kinds of attractions they unveil. And we haven't even begun to really see a Marvel presence in the parks yet.

I'll admit that i'm excited for Avatarland. But it's an afterthought compared to what they could do with Star Wars in the parks.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    ITA! We were at SWW this year and it was a mess!! It was 3:00 before we could find a place to have lunch.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Well, this is not just a direct shot across Universal Studio's bow, but is a crushing blow.
    Not really... Universal has gained in popularity... and aren't going anywhere any time soon, even when Star Wars comes to DHS...

I mean, Universal and Harry Potter world aren't going away...not even close. But people kept complaining that New Fantasyland was a feeble attempt by WDW to counter the things that Universal was doing with Harry Potter. I would submit that New Fantasyland was never intended to counter HP at all. It was simply to update & expand the park so that it could have higher attendance numbers.
    and you would be right... the Fantasyland area is not and was never meant to be the response... Fantasyland was in the works long before Potter opened... WOuld have been done either way...

And we haven't even begun to really see a Marvel presence in the parks yet.
    And you won't.. Why? Because they can't... People need to stop dreaming of Marvel in WDW.. Won't be happening cause it cannot happen... Contracts, they are pesky things...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel will be coming to Disneyland.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Marvel will be coming to Disneyland.
    Has no bearing on WDW or Universal Orlando.. Which are the parks we were discussing...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Has no bearing on WDW or Universal Orlando.. Which are the parks we were discussing...
    Well, if we are splitting hairs, this isn't a topic about Universal either. But discussions evolve and people branch off into tangent topics. I was simply mentioning that there ARE plans to have Marvel in "the parks." WDW are not the only Disney "parks". It was meant to be informational for those who were not aware.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

But Marvel CAN come to the Florida parks, it just can't be the ones that Universal has with the contract for Islands of Adventure. Now, whether Disney chooses to do so is another matter, but they can bring Marvel in some form of they choose to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    But Marvel CAN come to the Florida parks, it just can't be the ones that Universal has with the contract for Islands of Adventure. Now, whether Disney chooses to do so is another matter, but they can bring Marvel in some form of they choose to.
    Not quite that simple. That east of the Mississippi they can't use any character that belongs to one of the families of characters in use at Universal Orlando as long as Universal uses them which effectively means in perpetuity. That cuts out most every Marvel character, at least that anyone cares about enough for an attraction.

Proof, look how careful Disney has to be when using a wrap on the monorail. That monorail can't enter a park which means it can't be on the Epcot track.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this marvel thing is complicated. So to geek out in comic book world, does that mean that since Hulk is an avenger, then no avenger can be in a theme park outside of universal?

So even since there is no trace of Ant Man at universal it couldn't be used in WDW because he was an Avenger at some time. I mean every marvel character was an avenger at some point...

Does it go so far as to say that since hulk is an avenger with iron man, who is also occasionally a guardian of the galaxy, that guardians is off limits, too?

I guess I just need to hold out for the deadpool ride, since that character seemingly has no friends...

Seeing a room full of lawyers discuss this would probably be hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    That east of the Mississippi they can't use any character that belongs to one of the families of characters in use at Universal Orlando as long as Universal uses them which effectively means in perpetuity.
    Not so sure about this. Universal replaces attractions at a much higher rate than Disney does. Are there any of Universal's opening day attractions left?

I think the real question is when Universal stops using the characters will there still be enough demand for the Marvel characters for Disney to capitalize on it?
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, if we are splitting hairs, this isn't a topic about Universal either. But discussions evolve and people branch off into tangent topics. I was simply mentioning that there ARE plans to have Marvel in "the parks." WDW are not the only Disney "parks". It was meant to be informational for those who were not aware.
    There are no splitting hairs.. In case you didn't know, we are discussing WDW, more specifically, DHS... So what I say stands... Disney CAN NOT use Marvel in WDW parks... And nothing Disneyland can do has any bearing on WDW or Universal Orlando...

Quote Originally Posted by wjdoc View Post
    Wow, this marvel thing is complicated. So to geek out in comic book world, does that mean that since Hulk is an avenger, then no avenger can be in a theme park outside of universal?

So even since there is no trace of Ant Man at universal it couldn't be used in WDW because he was an Avenger at some time. I mean every marvel character was an avenger at some point...

Does it go so far as to say that since hulk is an avenger with iron man, who is also occasionally a guardian of the galaxy, that guardians is off limits, too?

I guess I just need to hold out for the deadpool ride, since that character seemingly has no friends...

Seeing a room full of lawyers discuss this would probably be hilarious.
    Not really all that complicated... Disney can not use any Marvel character currently in use in Universal Island's of Adventure, or anyone associated with that character's family... Including villains... So all the characters people know and love can not be used in WDW... So no, you won't see Hulk, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor... Ant-man was and is an Avenger, depending the story arc... Guardians weren't really Avengers though... Honorary, but not true members of the Avengers team... But recently, Disney and Universal worked out some of the gray areas, such as Guardians... And yes, Guardians can be used, but cannot be branded as Marvel... In fact, there was a pitch to change Great Movie Ride into a Guardians attraction...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    Not so sure about this. Universal replaces attractions at a much higher rate than Disney does. Are there any of Universal's opening day attractions left?

I think the real question is when Universal stops using the characters will there still be enough demand for the Marvel characters for Disney to capitalize on it?
    Why would Universal want to get rid of one of the hottest properties out there today? Answer: They wouldn't... not unless Disney funds the next 50 years of Universal's growth.. And that won't happen... And not since Universal has plans on refurbishing the entire Super Hero Island, and maybe even expanding its presence with a possible, and I repeat, POSSIBLE Avengers ride...

But yes, Universal has the rights until they decide to end the contract... They hold all the cards... Disney really has no say in anything... Really, they don't...

Look, truth is both companies are very content and happy with the deal... Universal gets to market a very hot property...They get the guests into their park which leads to more guest spending... They sell more merch, food, beverage... Attendance increases... Disney gets a cut (albeit small one) of the merchandise sales... They don't have to spend money on building a Marvel attraction in WDW... And we all know they wouldn't anyway, you'd get a cheap meet and greet if lucky... Both companies win...

As for Star Wars coming in 2016 to DHS.. eh, wake me when they announce the meat of the Star Wars addition.. Meet and greets are the cheap and easy way out... I'll visit DHS in 2021.. MAYBE, depends if they screw this up or not...

Post Thanks / Like

There are no splitting hairs.. In case you didn't know, we are discussing WDW, more specifically, DHS... So what I say stands... Disney CAN NOT use Marvel in WDW parks... And nothing Disneyland can do has any bearing on WDW or Universal Orlando...

Not really all that complicated... Disney can not use any Marvel character currently in use in Universal Island's of Adventure, or anyone associated with that character's family... Including villains... So all the characters people know and love can not be used in WDW... So no, you won't see Hulk, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor... Ant-man was and is an Avenger, depending the story arc... Guardians weren't really Avengers though... Honorary, but not true members of the Avengers team... But recently, Disney and Universal worked out some of the gray areas, such as Guardians... And yes, Guardians can be used, but cannot be branded as Marvel... In fact, there was a pitch to change Great Movie Ride into a Guardians attraction...

Why would Universal want to get rid of one of the hottest properties out there today? Answer: They wouldn't... not unless Disney funds the next 50 years of Universal's growth.. And that won't happen... And not since Universal has plans on refurbishing the entire Super Hero Island, and maybe even expanding its presence with a possible, and I repeat, POSSIBLE Avengers ride...

But yes, Universal has the rights until they decide to end the contract... They hold all the cards... Disney really has no say in anything... Really, they don't...

Look, truth is both companies are very content and happy with the deal... Universal gets to market a very hot property...They get the guests into their park which leads to more guest spending... They sell more merch, food, beverage... Attendance increases... Disney gets a cut (albeit small one) of the merchandise sales... They don't have to spend money on building a Marvel attraction in WDW... And we all know they wouldn't anyway, you'd get a cheap meet and greet if lucky... Both companies win...

As for Star Wars coming in 2016 to DHS.. eh, wake me when they announce the meat of the Star Wars addition.. Meet and greets are the cheap and easy way out... I'll visit DHS in 2021.. MAYBE, depends if they screw this up or not...
    Woah, someone woke up in the wrong side of the bed. This whole thread is speculation anyway so let's not pretend to be contract lawyers familiar with the terms of this specific deal.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Woah, someone woke up in the wrong side of the bed. This whole thread is speculation anyway so let's not pretend to be contract lawyers familiar with the terms of this specific deal.
    Huh? What are you talking about? The contract is public record... it is available online... Go read it... No one is playing or pretending to be contract lawyers... The contract is readily available for the public to consume... And what speculation? Why do WDW fans insist on speculating on Marvel coming to WDW when they CAN NOT use Marvel in WDW? This has been going on since Disney bought Marvel... And time and time again, WDW fans have been told to stop speculating and wishing cause it isn't happening... Not as long as Universal holds all the cards...

FACT: Universal has the theme park rights east of the Mississippi...

FACT: The contract pretty much lives forever, in perpetuity.... Unless Universal decides one day they no longer want Marvel in their parks...That day isn't happening any time soon...

FACT: Universal owns the rights to each character currently portrayed in Islands of Adventure, as well as any character in the "family" which includes villains... So, no X-Men, no Avengers, no Fantastic Four, etc...

FACT: Universal can build and expand Super Hero Island in IOA...

FACT: Disney cannot say or do anything about it... As long as Universal works within the parameters of the Marvel Universe, and portrays the characters as intended, Disney cannot say a word...

This isn't pretending to be a lawyer, this is stated fact inside the contract... The debate on which characters can be used has been waged since day one... And it changes nothing... If the character was ever associated with a character in use in IOA, that character is off limits... The gray areas can be debated... And the only gray area was Guardians of the Galaxy who have appeared with the Avengers... However, recently, that was all worked out... Disney can use Guardians in WDW, but they cannot use Marvel when promoting them...

People need to get over Marvel in WDW, it's not happening, it can't... That is fact, not speculation... and people need to stop speculating on when Marvel is going to appear in WDW, cause it can't....

Anyway, this thread is about the possible addition of something Star Wars related by the end of this year or in 2016... it will be a meet and greet, something cheap and lazy... The real meat of the Star Wars additions won't come until later, and DHS may finally be finished by 2021...

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? What are you talking about? The contract is public record... it is available online... Go read it... No one is playing or pretending to be contract lawyers... The contract is readily available for the public to consume... And what speculation? Why do WDW fans insist on speculating on Marvel coming to WDW when they CAN NOT use Marvel in WDW? This has been going on since Disney bought Marvel... And time and time again, WDW fans have been told to stop speculating and wishing cause it isn't happening... Not as long as Universal holds all the cards...

FACT: Universal has the theme park rights east of the Mississippi...

FACT: The contract pretty much lives forever, in perpetuity.... Unless Universal decides one day they no longer want Marvel in their parks...That day isn't happening any time soon...

FACT: Universal owns the rights to each character currently portrayed in Islands of Adventure, as well as any character in the "family" which includes villains... So, no X-Men, no Avengers, no Fantastic Four, etc...

FACT: Universal can build and expand Super Hero Island in IOA...

FACT: Disney cannot say or do anything about it... As long as Universal works within the parameters of the Marvel Universe, and portrays the characters as intended, Disney cannot say a word...

This isn't pretending to be a lawyer, this is stated fact inside the contract... The debate on which characters can be used has been waged since day one... And it changes nothing... If the character was ever associated with a character in use in IOA, that character is off limits... The gray areas can be debated... And the only gray area was Guardians of the Galaxy who have appeared with the Avengers... However, recently, that was all worked out... Disney can use Guardians in WDW, but they cannot use Marvel when promoting them...

People need to get over Marvel in WDW, it's not happening, it can't... That is fact, not speculation... and people need to stop speculating on when Marvel is going to appear in WDW, cause it can't....

Anyway, this thread is about the possible addition of something Star Wars related by the end of this year or in 2016... it will be a meet and greet, something cheap and lazy... The real meat of the Star Wars additions won't come until later, and DHS may finally be finished by 2021...
    Lol, you clearly care way more about this than anyone else. Lighten up. Speculation is supposed to be fun. So what if it doesn't happen?

Btw, typing in all caps is the typed equivalent of yelling. That seems unnecessary.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Lol, you clearly care way more about this than anyone else. Lighten up. Speculation is supposed to be fun. So what if it doesn't happen?

Btw, typing in all caps is the typed equivalent of yelling. That seems unnecessary.
    Because Disney fans come off looking silly over speculating, then wishing, then insisting Marvel is coming... Especially when they are told time and time again it isn't... Speculate on what can come, what may be coming, not what can't come... Speculate what Star Wars area will consist of, speculate over the Pixar Place expansion... Stop speculating over Marvel... Unless you want to speculate over the Super Hero Island expansion in Islands Of Adventure, since that is the only park in Orlando you will ever see Marvel... Then we should take that speculation to the Universal forums...

Oh and no, I wasn't yelling, simply highlighting the FACTS of the contract...

Anyway, back to talking about Star Wars in DHS...

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's hilarious that you continue to scream, shout, and stomp your feet saying Disney can't use Marvel, but then say Guardians can be used, and any other character not associated with what Universal has. So, FACT: Disney can use Marvel characters

And honestly, with the size of Mickey's bank account he could wake up tomorrow and say "yeah, I want them back" and write a check for them. Oh, shoot, there I go speculating again though! Darn. But please, go on speculating on how Disney is going to screw up Star Wars Land.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    I think it's hilarious that you continue to scream, shout, and stomp your feet saying Disney can't use Marvel, but then say Guardians can be used, and any other character not associated with what Universal has. So, FACT: Disney can use Marvel characters

And honestly, with the size of Mickey's bank account he could wake up tomorrow and say "yeah, I want them back" and write a check for them. Oh, shoot, there I go speculating again though! Darn. But please, go on speculating on how Disney is going to screw up Star Wars Land.
    Disney can not use Marvel... When they had the meet and greet, were the word's "Meet Star Lord from Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy" ever used in marketing? When they showed the preview, did they brand it as a Marvel movie? Nope... Every wonder why the store in DTD doesn't use Mrvel in it's name? Cause they can't use Marvel...

And please, do point out where I said they would screw up Star Wars... please, I beg you... I do believe I have been saying, for the longest time now, that there is reason to be excited for DHS... And I've been saying to others who have been hesitant to have some excitement that it is OK to be excited... They won't be screwing this up... The top dogs in Burbank know what needs to be done and will make sure Glendale produces a top notch land... Especially since the BoD rejected the original plans because the plans were bare bones and well, an embarrassment...

I said we can speculate on Star Wars and Pixar, stuff actually coming and stuff Disnay can actually do in WDW, like Indiana Jones or a villains themed stage show in a newly enclosed B&TB theater ... Wanna speculate on Marvel? Take it to the Universal or Disneyland forums...

And again, why would Disney pay for the next 50 years of Universal growth? Why would Disney want Marvel for WDW? They don't have to spend a dime on Marvel in WDW, yet they still make money... And a lot of it, while Universal has to pay for upkeep, pay for any expansions, pay for the rights, pay Disney a portion of the merchandise profits, pay for refurbishments... It's a win for Disney... And they are perfectly content with the relationship... And so is Universal...

Geez, I hope D23 has some real news...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: