Quantcast Fell in Love with Disneyland

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fell in Love with Disneyland

Let me first preface this by saying I've been to Disneyland once before on a short trip, but I am an avid Disneyworld goer. I get there at least twice a year from NJ. I own a DVC membership and I live and breath Disneyworld.

That being said, we headed out on a direct flight fromm good ole Newark Liberty. Flight was nice and smooth we arrived around 8:30 PM easter Sunday and took in downtown disney. I must say, I enjoy the one over in disneyworld better but understand the space issue. This didn't mean I didn't absolutely love the atmosphere.

The next day began with my wife and I going into Disneyland. We started out very smug, comparing every little thing and making fun of the "little castle." We went on the welcome to Disneyland tour and got a bunch of fastpasses which was cool. The day ended with priorty seating at Blue Bayou and preferred viewing of The MSEP over at CA. You couldn't tell from the first day, but we caught a bug. We hit Pirates, and Indiana Jones. As well as space mountain and the matterhorn. We rushed through the day and never really got time to appreciate the "little things."

The next day we went on the Walk in Walt's foot steps tour. That was it. This is when I realized, we were in Walt's park. No matter how much I love Disneyworld, DL is and always will be Walt's park. We heard stories and saw liitle things we took for granted. I truly felt as if Walt was still there, alive and well.

My biggest surprise came when our guide Jack told us that we needed to see the fireworks. I was skeptical thinking, how could anything beat the MK's Wishes or Epcots Illuminations?? Well it did, and then some. The bits of history scattered throughout the Remember Dreams Come Trure show brought me to tears of joy. Not an easy thing for this 27 year old hockey player. We watched it almost every night that remained. I did not want to leave.

Disneyland is pure magic and its pure American history. I love Disneyworld and always will. But Disneyland is truly a place above all else. I cannot wait to get back. Oh, and that little castle? It has since replaced Cinderella castle on my desktop. Disneyland does not need a huge centerpiece. It is a centerpiece. Its humble castle is a metaphore for everything that is great about Walt Disney's Disneyland.
    Nick Capp
    DVC Member
    Disney's Beach Club Villas
    Up Next!: Spring Break at the Springs!

"Faith is kind, she gives to those who love."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I've never had much of a desire to visit Disneyland. I always thought of it as the "starter park". I never thought it could compare to the ultimate, WDW. But after reading about your experience, I will have to add Disneyland to my list of "Disney must-dos".

So glad to hear you had a wonderful trip!!
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a WONDERFUL report, well written and definitely ! I love when people GET IT, there is no way to compare Disneyland and WDW. The magic is totally different!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

How impressive that you captured "it" in just a few paragraphs. Thanks for sharing your trip to Walt's park with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone who loves Disney World should visit Disneyland at least once!

We did the Walt's Footsteps tour last fall. It's a great way to get acquainted with Disneyland!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yay, another person who "gets it" about Disneyland!

I admit when I read this: "We started out very smug, comparing every little thing and making fun of the "little castle." I was going to lay into you something fierce! I'm glad that you came to the realization that Disneyland Park is something beyond compare!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

^ You took the words right out of my mouth ChipDale! My feathers were getting a little ruffled when I first started reading this trip report but I actually teared up at the end when I realized that that you felt the Disneyland Magic! I love the way you put it...."Disneyland does not need a huge centerpiece, it IS a centerpiece". Very well put! Glad you enjoyed the experience!
    I was THERE on July 17, 2005!

Premium AP Holder at DLR
    Joined Intercot West - May 2002
    Good Bye Intercot West! You were a good friend!
    Nancy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the wonderful trip report.

I grew up going to WDW and we're DVC owners, but Disneyland is where my heart is.

DH and I are also hockey fans, we booked our "dream vacation" a couple years ago, following our Blackhawks from San Jose to LA, to Anaheim and then spending a week at DL. Unfortunately, that was the year of the lock out.

I hope you'll be able to visit DL again soon, I believe it really does get better with each visit
    Niki aka Lucille

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted - Mae West

Post Thanks / Like

Since Intercot West came over, I have been sneaking in here and again to see what the hub-ub is about.

Everything I have read about DLR has peaked my interest, but this trip report has made me actually buy a DLR book and gotten me to look at dates when we could possibly go!

What a beautiful report and I am so glad you had a magical time!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Its amazing that a few weeks after my trip ended. It only got better.

I am so happy everyone here enjoyed the trip report I wrote.

But in all honesty, it is all of you I should be thanking. You folks here are just great and make all of our Disney trips wonderful.

You all help the time between trips fly right by!
    Nick Capp
    DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, I'm glad you enjoyed Disneyland so much!

It's something how it "gets" people like that.

I don't even remember my first two trips to DL...I, too, was an avid WDW fan, and the first time I visited DL was in 1996, with my high school's Grad Night (I grew up in NJ, moved to CA when I was 16). I have NO recollection of that night. I visited again in 1998 and was still unimpressed. We did a whirlwind day, all the big rides, laughed at the "little castle", etc. All the standard "skeptic" stuff.

When I got married and moved to Southern CA in 2001, I bought a DL annual pass *just* because I was living so close. For the low price of $129 for a PREMIUM annual pass (those were the days), I started to visit regularly.

I have now been an AP holder for almost 6 years, and currently live close enough to be in Disneyland 20 minutes after I leave my house. Disneyland is like my second home. I know the place like the back of my hand, and although WDW holds its own appeal, I find the Magic Kingdom there to be "cookie cutter". I don't "feel" Walt there. I get this certain peacefulness when I'm at Disneyland that I don't feel anywhere at WDW. It's truly a special place.

I am trying to enjoy it all I can. I know the day will come (eventually) when I have to move away from here. It's just a matter of time (DH is military, and we've managed to stay here for longer than we should have). I have two sons now who have been visiting DL regularly since they were born. They pretty much consider it "the best playground in our neighborhood". It will break my heart the day we have move away. I feel extremely lucky to be able to visit so often.

I wish more people would visit Disneyland, and give it more than one day. I know I didn't "get it" until my third visit, when I really took the time to realize WHERE I really was.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Thanks for a WONDERFUL report, well written and definitely ! I love when people GET IT, there is no way to compare Disneyland and WDW. The magic is totally different!
    Very well said!! Why does everyone have to compare and not just enjoy each destination for its own uniqueness?!?!?!?
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why there is always a comparsion involved. I guess it just comes natural. Maybe it has something to do with being territorial? I don't know.

I do know that I cannot wait to get back. I have to be in LA next year to jump on the Disney Panama Canal cruise. You can bet I'll be tacking an extra day or two to spend more time in my new favorite place!
    Nick Capp
    DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

A wonderful report!!

It seems your report has inspired some to give the Disneyland Resort a try.

Hope you are able to visit more often now that you have been bitten by the Disneyland bug.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick for sharing your report! I have only been to WDW, but my best friend is treating me to a long weekend at DL in November. A few WDW enthusiasts have 'warned' me that I'll be disappointed.. but after reading your report and WONDERFUL reminder that DL IS Walt's park - well, I KNOW I'll be able to go with eyes and heart open and see the park for the beauty it is in itself! Thanks Nick!
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

I am so excited to go in a couple years and take my daughter. DL seems like it has all the good stuff from all the WDW parks in just two parks and I can't wait to see it all.
    1977 Ft.Wilderness
    1980 Ft.Wilderness
    1987 Off Site
    1992 Off Site
    1997 Disney Institute-Honeymoon
    September 2006 PORS
    Sept 2007 Wilderness Lodge!!!!
    August 2009 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad you got "it", Nick.

I went to Disneyland for the first time in November. I too fell in love with the place. It is so much more relaxed and your sentiment about Walt is so true.

I am returning this Summer and cannot wait to introduce Disneyland to my youngest.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. I have never like the comparisons of the parks either. Each park has their own unique thing and the discovery of new things each time I visit any of them is just so awesome. I have always been a Disney nut and anything associated with Disney just puts a big smile on my face.

I grew up going to DLR. My first trip was in 1962. I've been blessed to watch all of the changes over the years. I think I do feel the presence of Walt through the park since I would watch him on Wonderful World of Disney describing things in the park and we would go. Everytime I enter the park, I always look at the firehouse to see the light burning in his memory where his apartment is.

Every ride has a memory of something I had done over the years. When I had very sad times when I lost my dad, I went to the park a couple weeks later and cried my way down main street. But I felt the memories of my dad at the park and made me feel so good inside. After 9-11, we went to the park a week later and said to ourselves, the terrorist are not going to blow up our happiest place on earth. We will not be scared by these people and they are not taking our safe place away.

I think that's the disney experience anywhere. Not just the rides, food place, etc. but the memories you have with your families and friends in these parks that makes the disney experience so special.

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful report, Nick! You put in words exactly what it feels like for a die hard WDW fan to fall in love with Walt's Park. I don't like comparisions either, WDW and Disneyland are such different and amazing experiences. But I am so glad that you were able to get that "tingly", delightful feeling of falling for Disneyland's charms. Thank you for sharing that with us.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: