Quantcast How do you carry pins around the parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you carry pins around the parks?

My DS has been collecting pins for several years. He loves trading with CM, buying new pins etc. He insists on taking most, if not all, of his pins with him every time we go. Luckily we leave a lot of them in the room and carry just a few lanyards full each day. His logic: this is the only time he can show off his collection - it is very hard to find an interested pin collector outside the World. To go to the parks, we take three lanyards (one for each of us) full of pins, both to trade and display. Each day he reviews his new additions, changes pins etc. He really enjoys pin collecting and trading!

The problem: The lanyards are hot and heavy. Within a couple of hours, they find their way to the backpack. Every time we stop to pin trade we have to dig the lanyards out, sometimes from the bottom of the pack. This increases the risk of the backs coming off and losing pins. I bought a little fannie pack type pin holder from the Disney Store but it only holds a handful of pins.

Any suggestions on how to carry pins around in the parks would be greatly appreciated!

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How about pinning them on to a piece of cardboard and sticking that in to a backpack or something? And/or, you could get a non leather type belt and pin them on it. Hats could be used as well.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I carry mine pointy side out. (no one bumps into me twice...

Actually, I keep a lanyard just with the show/trade pins handy (in a fanny pack). Then keep the bulk of the other pins in a bag/holder in the backpack. Once or twice a day, I refresh the lanyard and start all over again.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there just recently they sold a book thing that you could put all your pins in. I saw it at the pin trades place in down town disney. It was nice each pin had a little area and was enclosed in a plastic cover to protect them. I don't recall the price though.
    off site at brother in laws in Sanford starting 1989 until 1999
    off site at place 5min. from main gates 2000 until 2007
    Had the best trip ever April 5th - 20th 2007
    Arriving April 3,2009

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine on my lanyard, but it's soooo heavy so I don't carry them anymore. I will probably just get another lanyard and start that one up. I only have one pin to trade off the old one and that one is complete.
    VMK: RoyalRoseBlue

10 trips before 2000
    2000 - All Star Sports (Senior Trip)
    2001 - CP CM @ CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some folks use baseball caps to carry/show/trade pins. We also sometimes have 3 lanyards and put them into the front pocket of the backpack so they are all together when we aren't wearing them. Usually we try to just "share waer" one and replenish when we go back to the room.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wear pants with pockets in Disney, and get lots of sun burn on my neck. So, I just keep the pins I'm trading in the left pocket and the pins that I am keeping or traded for in my right pocket.
    Philly Eagles Fan! Red Sox Fan! Celtics Fan!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I no longer need film with my digital camera I keep them in the front pocket of my camera bag. I usually thorw about 10-15 traders in there a day and replace them as needed. Each night at the room I take out the pins I traded for and replace them with new traders
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My family wears them on a laynard and at the end of the day they swithch off with pins they want to keep go in a book and they leave the one's they want to trade on their laynards.
    [*]2013 POR[*]2012 Swan / AKL[*]2011 POFQ[*]2009 AS MUSIC FAMILY SUITE[*]2008 POFQ[*]2007 POLY/ POFQ[*]2006 AS MUSIC[*]2005 AS MOVIES[*]2004 POP CENTURY[*]2003 AS MOVIES[*]2000 POFQ / 3 DAYS ON WONDER[*]1998 AS MUSIC[*]2 off site trips in High School[/LIST]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not taking all my pins with me next time. If I take my laniard, and get some cheap pins, then I can trade, but trying to take all 62 pins, and wear them is just too scary because I would be destroyed if I lost any.

We've been trying to figure out what to do with them, and I think we've settled on a shadow box with a glass over it, and will display them on the family room wall. They're nice because they have a fabric back, and the pins are easy to attach, and then you put the whole thing in the box. Some of them have a glass that opens and closes.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great ideas! I will mention these ideas to my DS. I really like the baseball cap idea because he wears one of these every day we are at the parks. He also wears shorts with big pockets so maybe he can store another supply in his pockets

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

I have a goofy hat that i carry/wear around the park that i attach the pins to but, you have to be careful if you put to many pins on it. If you do put to many pins on it the hat will start to lean towards one direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little folder-like bag that Disney sells:
    http://www.laughingplacestore.com/im...ucts/8196L.jpg

I think I got it for around $20-$25
    It has multiple soft "pages" you pin your stuff to, and plastic liners in between to protect them. It is small enough to fit inside a backpack, but also has a strap so you can carry it over your shoulder or slung across your body messenger-bag style.

I, too, get too hot to carry my lanyard mid-day. But if you aren't carrying them, people won't know you're a trader! And many missed opportunities ensue. Find some kind of something your child is willing to wear which identifies him as a pin trader--either a much lighter lanyard with only a few traders on them, a hat with a few pins, a fanny pack with a few pinned to the front...something along these lines.

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter keeps hers in a pin trading book we bought in Downtown Disney. It was not expensive $25? and it has quit a few pages in there. When we go to the parks she wears Lanyard with the pins she's thinking of trading along with some of her favs. that she just enjoys showing off!
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in WDW earlier this year, I got chatting with a gentleman who was an avid pin collector / trader. He had pins on his bucket hat and all over his lightweight safari style vest / jacket. He mentioned that it's usually better to invest in the lockable type pin backs for the pins you don't want to lose or trade (less chance the pins will fall off).

I think the lockable pin backs are available at most pin locations for just a few $.

Could you not create a sash for your pins (something like what scouts wear)? I know it would still be a pain to wear in the heat, but it at least wouldn't be hanging around the neck.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't think the pin book is a good idea because, its just another thing to carry around and if you put to many in it, it gets to heavy to carry around and you want to put it into a backback or leave it in your room. Trust me I have a binder that I use for my card collection
    and since i have about 300 of them it now weighs atleast 5 pounds and i don't carry it around anymore it just stays at my house.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: