Quantcast The All Time Biggest WDW Resort Question!! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

as has already been stated it depends on how interested you are in everyone having a good time. we always go with my parents and my mother refuses to stay anywhere but the yacht/beach, in fact she feels she's compromising by staying at the bc. oh well, i grew up staying at the deluxes and truthfully would rather save and go fewer times and enjoy a more convienent resort, but perhaps that is because i have 2 small children in tow.
    i would love to go 12 days but no one in my family is interested in values so i compromise and enjoy being there all together
    whatever you choose have a great trip!

1974 & '75 - offsite
    every other year as a child all at contemporary
    1995 - wilderness lodge
    1999 - yacht club
    2005 - beach club
    2007 - beach club villas

2012 - beach club villas!
    2013- Beach club - marathon weekend

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily my DH & I share the same opinion when it comes to WDW. We would rather spend more time & stay in a less expensive resort for 14 days or more then stay at a more expensive resort for half (or less) of that time. We are the type of people that are on the go and are only a the resort to sleep, shower, eat and take a break during the day. We spent our honeymoon this past July at PO-FQ and had a great time but couldn't see spending a lot of money on a resort when we didn't really spend all that much time there.....it just didn't make much sense.

When it comes to WDW we think "QUANTITY over QUALITY" because when it comes down to it do you really need all those frivolous perks?

Who wouldn't want to be able to spend a glorious 17 days/16 nights at WDW??????? Unless of course you don't like Disney!
    Possible 3rd Trip: Sept 2008
    ?

2nd Trip:
    Nov 23 - Dec 9 2007
    POP Century

POFQ 2006 (Honeymoon)- July 2-July 16
    First WDW trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyfromDE View Post
    I've stayed at Deluxe, Mod and Value. I really didn't find the Deluxe all that exciting. My favorite has been some of the Mods. The kids love the gawdiness of the values. So I just save my money for souvenirs. Sally
    I'm not saying the deluxes are more exciting - reason why I love to stay there is that I can walk right into the parks! Its such a major time and aggravation savings. And we've been staying at the Epcot resorts because we love to eat there for dinner!

As much as I love the Disney transportation - we don't even rent a car any more - waiting for that bus after the various night shows (Wishes for one) can be agonizing! Kids exhausted - standing room only - its the one bus that never comes - three CSRs to one YC/BC, etc).......... Its so nice to just be able to walk across the street back to the Contemporary. In fact, I can't wait for the day that the DVC is built there!! (Hoping and wishing!!!!)

So I don't think I'm really paying for a "better resort" - I'm paying for a better location...... and at YC/BC - I'm paying for the privilege to swim in that unique pool!!

What's great about WDW - there's different strokes for different folks!!!!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, we're thinking of staying at POR next year, and we're considering that an upgrade!

Maybe you should remind your wife that extravagance is a deadly sin.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually been having this argument not with my DH, but with myself!! Half of me wants to give up the deluxe, so we can stay for a longer amount of time, but the other half of me does not want to give up the Poly. Unlike many of the PP's, we do spend alot of time at the resort. To be quite honest, the resort is the reason my DH and I like to go (my kids feel differently though!) Wish me luck - I think arguing with a spouse is much easier than with yourself....'cuz usually against DH, I win
    '86,'87,'92 - Offsite
    '93 - Disneyland Hotel
    '95 - Disneyland Hotel - Honeymoon
    '01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins - MVMCP
    '03 - Wilderness Lodge
    '03 - Caribbean Beach
    '04 - POR
    '05 - POR/Polynesian - SW Weekends
    '06 - Polynesian - MNSSHP
    '07 - POR - MNSSHP
    '09 - Grand Floridian

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Could you split the week between different resorts. You pick a resort the 1st 3 days and she picks the last 4 days. She gets more days of course because she is the wife. You could stay at POR for 3 days than go to the BC for 4 days.
    That would mess up having the free dining plan.

I guess since it is just a day, it is okay. Ashame to have to pay an extra $700 and lose time at WDW. I would rather stay at a value than give up time at WDW.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHAHAHA!!

You sound like my mom who always tells us (in Spanish!) "Do you think you're Rockefeller's kids?!?"
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

If staying in a value resort to get an extra day out of our vacation, it's fine with us. However, if it means that much to your wife.....then give up a day and stay at the resort that will make her happy.

Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It is an easy call...

1 more day=unhappy wife
    1 less day=happy wife

This really is an easy equation!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that since you are on the free dining plan you will also be losing a snack, a CS meal, and a TS meal by reducing your trip by one day. So, you will be spending $700 extra for accommodations plus losing $38 per person worth of food that would be free. Losing the one day wouldn't be the biggest issue for me. The extra money and less free food would concern me the most, but if you don't mind giving that up then staying at the Beach Club is the way to go because it will make your wife happy.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

We actually do like to spend time at our resort. Not to mention the pools, restaurants, transportation ..etc. are much better at the deluxe resorts.

Give me the deluxe resort any day!
    šš*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    Here's an idea - why don't you join the DVC? Then you'd always be staying deluxe-like - for years to come even!!!
    What Disney Giant Said

That is exactly why we bought into DVC. We know that we will be going year after year. We prefer Deluxe resorts and they do offer amenities that moderates and values don't. However, we as a family also enjoy spending a fair amount of time at the resorts. So far, we go for 10+ days and have always scheduled a day or two that we just hang out at our resort.

We were fine with POR and POFQ. They are nice, but can we say... Jacuzzi tub?
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there ginny57. You'd be surprised on how strong you can really be in situations. I've been on my own with my boys for many years now and I do enjoy planning our entire DW trip without much compromise (except for the kids).
    As far as Resorts go, for us the place we stay is an important part of the trip which adds to the whole disney experience. Since we don't go every year, it gives me a chance to save and stay at a moderate for at least a week. We stayed at POR last year and absolutely loved it! Perhaps an upgrade to a river view? I'm saving real hard this year becasue next year we are going for ten days (three at the Poly and seven at POR) hopefully disney will have the free dining again.
    If you cannot split the time between the two resorts then she should pay for the extra day. As long as the other party is not too spoiled, something can be worked out where you can stay at a nice Resort for the full seven days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post

So I being a husband and knowing who ultimately calls the shots (because an unhappy wife on vacation makes for an unhappy husband!) changed it from 7 days at POR to 6 days at the BC for $700 more. A mere drop in the bucket for Mrs. Gates.

So please help me. Good decision to upgrade and lose a day or bad decision to lose a day but upgrade to a beautiful resort?

P.S. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?
    Another Wife's perspective:

Both DH and I are huge Disney fans, so we would be in the cardboard box afew garbage bins away with the kids.

However, It all come down to common sense. You are loosing by giving up the day and upgrading. You are spending more for less in my opinion. How much time are you going to spend at the resort? If the Disney Dining is a limit of 5 days then you won't be loosing anything there by staying for 6. But to pay $700 more to loose a day is not a good thing.

BUT then again, If she is as difficult as you say, what price would you put on your peace of mind?
    șOș Coleen șOș

Up next:
    Hubby's 40th - Dec. 2014 (POP) 1st Christmas Trip
    Past Disney Trips
    Honeymoon - August 2004 (Radisson) Hurricane Charlie
    Family Vacation - July 2006 (POP)
    Anniversary Vacation - Aug 2007 (CSR)
    Family Vacation - Oct. 2011 Food & Wine Festival!! (POR) FREE DINING!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should just switch off every vacation. If you go every year she picks what you do one year then the next you pick. If she is as loving a wife as you are a husband she should consider your feelings too. I hope she really wouldn't ruin a vaction just because she had to stay in a moderate instead of a deluxe. I have been to Disney many times and have never been able to stay in even a moderate. We have always stayed in a Value or even of Disney property because we can't afford better.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Carol, we also enjoy spending time at our resort. Our trips are usually 8-10 days in length and we look forward to that down time. We usually try to have 1 or 2 days where we don't even go to a park. On our first trip we stayed at Shades of Green and after staying at WL the next trip I said to my husband that I'd rather stay at a Value than Shades of Green if it came down to $$$. THankfully I haven't needed to make that decision as we've stayed at the Poly twice and Caribbean Beach as part of a split stay.

For us the selling point on the Deluxes are the queen beds - with 2 sons, 9 & 6, the only way to have a peaceful night of sleep is the 2 queens. Those full size beds at CBR made for a grumpy family in the morning. We'll be staying at AKL this October for 10 nights after a discussion on whether or not to try a moderate again because of the length of our stay. I didn't want to suffer nights of sleep.

Why not go for the extra day AND the deluxe ? ? A happy wife is PRICELESS.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the solution i settled on (different problem but the solution would work here too)

Solo trip. Long weekend, once a year.

For two, full glorious days i do what i want, when i want. Oh, and i stay in values.

Its much cheaper than a divorce lawyer.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear alot about, do what makes the wife happy.

Us husbands are just as important and deserve to be happy and do what we would like to do too. and if you don't think so I am going to tell my mommy.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Stop the complaining about your wife.... The fact you made the rese for the additional $700 shows the additional cost is not that HUGE a deal to you anyway. I'm sure we all drop that much in a few trips to Wal-Mart. You're still getting the free dining so go, enjoy yourself and hats off to ur wife.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who have weighed in so far.

Quick update. We switched to the Beach Club but kept the vacation at 7 days, 6 nights. So a real win-win situation for all involved!!!

Now let the planning begin!!!!!

Thanks again to all of you and keep chiming in if you so desire!

Jay

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: