Quantcast Am I the only person who does not like eating at the high end WDW restaurants? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind eating CS either, but we also enjoy taking the time to relax and enjoy what the TS locations have to offer too. Plus, I love to plan and research and it adds another level of planning to my trip. For the last 2 trips and our upcoming trip, we've had the DDP which is wonderful as far as having the food paid for in advance (actually, twice it will be for free! ). If I didn't have the DDP, I would eat at far fewer TS locations myself.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    My wife and I view the food options as an attraction much in the same vein as the Jungle Cruise or ToT.
    big "ditto" here.... It's half the fun. Try and eat "high end" at seaworld or six flags... it just doesn''t exist

Scott
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree!

I'm with the original poster 100% on this.

There isn't a meal anywhere at WDW that you can't get at your local mall - (OK, V&A is the exception).

We enjoy character dinners, sure, but this business of setting an alarm clock to try to be caller number 7 exactly 180 days before a WDW meal is ridiculous.

My wife once suggested to a chef/CM at Boma that the signs saying what each food item is include what countrry it's from, "Actually, ma'am, most of the recipes were developed here using African influences."

Really folks, can't we get nachos and steak and ribs and ssssscambled eggs everywhere?

Don't get me wrong, we always purchase the DDP and we book ADRs and have a swell time.

We like o'Hana. The coconut races are a hoot but the food ins't exceptional.

The Mac and Cheese served at LTT is the same brand that's in the frozen food section at Costco. I don't even dislike it -but it ain't POTC!

I just can't imagine skipping EE because we have ADR at the AK location of the Rainforest Cafe chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it...Disney makes dining more than just dinner. The experience you get while eating at high-end restaurants on Disney property are as stimulating as some of the rides themselves. Our family splurges when we are at Disney and selecting a high-end Disney restaurant for each night we are on our vacation is very important to us...there just isn't enough days in our vacation to get them all in!
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food's not the highlight of Disney for me...

On our last trip, we decided to make two ADR's for signature dining experiences. (Brown Derby/ Fantasmic and CA Grill.) For the rest of our meals, we ate at CS places. There's so much variety of these that it hardly felt like theme park food at all. We chose to not make ADR's because we didn't want to be tied into a schedule too much. I think I'd follow the same plan next time... select one or two fancy meals and snack my way through the Showcase on other days.) I am lucky enough to live in Philadelphia and be close to New York City so I don't feel the need to eat super fancy meals while in WDW because we splurge when we are at home. The food is good at Disney and I can't blame some families for loving it as much as they do.
    I'm so glad that other families eat ice cream for dinner! I felt silly because one night, we ate Dole Whips for dinner!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I consider dining one of the attractions! The themeing and all is so different than any other places I have ever eaten. I enjoy getting to try new food and new resturants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    There isn't a meal anywhere at WDW that you can't get at your local mall - (OK, V&A is the exception).

Believe me, if I could get filet with tamarind sauce, goat cheese ravioli, a 3-lb. lobster stuffed with sea scallops and shrimp, diver scallops or seafood like grouper and char at my local mall, I'd never have to make dinner again!

I've only ever had equivalent filet in NYC at the Palm, and in King of Prussia at Morton's. The Palm also rivals the best seafood dishes I've had at WDW, but I still can't get the overall presentation and variety in meals like I can at WDW.

But, like I said before, there are those who appreciate fine dining (like me and DH), and dining is a huge part of our WDW trips. If someone can lump all red meat into the "Sizzler" category, and all seafood into the "Red Lobster" category, and say you can get those foods anywhere, then no...the full effect of the finer dining establishments at WDW will be lost on them.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

A huge reason Disney is such a draw is the option of dining in so many different ways. Whether you enjoy the signature restaurants as so many or love to snack your way around the world, nearly everyone can find a way to be pleased with a Disney vacation.

We are a couple of forty-somethings without children who love the signature restaurants but also look forward to an occasional lunch of a Dole Whip.

I think the variety is one of the things that makes Disney so appealing.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

I'm realizing more and more that part of the excitement I get planning my next WDW vacation is planning our meals- new ones (Jiko!) and old favorites (Le Cellier). Early on, while dating my new DH, we used to go to WDW on a budget, eat at Casey's or somewhere under $15 and we were thrilled just to be in the parks. Now that we're DVC members and blessed with the ability and time to visit the parks a couple times per year, we plan our meals at new restaurants in a similar vein to how we view riding a new attraction or ride- the Disney theming is still there, the service and hospitality and there. It just adds to or compliments the whole experience of WDW. That said, we still enjoy Casey's!! There will always be room for a quick turkey leg or hot dog at a counter service in the parks.
    DVC Member since June 2005
    Bay Lake Towers; Animal Kingdom Villas; Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member Cruise on the Dream 9/18-22/11
    My most magical memory of all...Engaged at Port Orleans, November 6, 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Once each trip we go to a fine dining restaurant. It is one of the highlights for us.
    DW and I both spent considerable time employed in the restaurant business, so we both appreciate the finer points of dining. Aside from that we like for our children to experience it with us. It gives them a change to practice their "fancy" manners. They actually enjoy it. DD turns into a little ham. You know, pinkie in the air and the whole bit.
    DS just goes with the flow and really enjoys himself. He really loves to eat, as most 12 going on 13 year old boys do! This year we're going to Artist Point for the first time. Less than 4 weeks!
    Keven

06/76 Disneyland
    06/05 PoP Century - First time for the kids
    08/06 PoP Century - Celebrating DD's B-Day
    07/07 Pop Century - Celebrating DW's B-Day
    06/11 Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I have to somewhat agree with the OP. We just aren't food people. There are some great dining choices at Disney, but I'd rather grab a quick bite and then hit another ride or show. We usually make a couple TS reservations each trip, but aside from that we mainly eat CS and snacks. We eat out enough at home so I'd rather spend my time at Disney having fun (everyone has their own idea of fun).
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE,

Your NOT going to get sushi made by one the the top ten sushi chefs in the country (Yoshi at the California Grill) or perfectly flash fried oysters with 2 magnificient sauces (Thank you Sous chef Anthony Scott at Narcoosee's) at ANY mall where you live.

If it's cheese sticks and nachos your looking for .... fine... your right ..

I better stop

Scott
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

Believe me, if I could get filet with tamarind sauce, goat cheese ravioli, a 3-lb. lobster stuffed with sea scallops and shrimp, diver scallops or seafood like grouper and char at my local mall, I'd never have to make dinner again!

I've only ever had equivalent filet in NYC at the Palm, and in King of Prussia at Morton's. The Palm also rivals the best seafood dishes I've had at WDW, but I still can't get the overall presentation and variety in meals like I can at WDW.

But, like I said before, there are those who appreciate fine dining (like me and DH), and dining is a huge part of our WDW trips. If someone can lump all red meat into the "Sizzler" category, and all seafood into the "Red Lobster" category, and say you can get those foods anywhere, then no...the full effect of the finer dining establishments at WDW will be lost on them.
    Well said! We can probably find some great food at home, but somehow I'd rather spend a ton of money at DIsney (or use the dining plan!!) then spend a ton of money at home on a great meal. I think the atmosphere of the restaurant plays such a huge part in the enjoyment of the food. Plus, at Disney, we don't have to worry about transportation, parking,etc.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a meal anywhere at WDW that you can't get at your local mall
    Sorry 'Goes4FP', you're way off base on this one. I would say that the beauty of WDW is that you can find satisfaction for any palate. If high end dining isn't your thing, then Sonny Eclipse and Pecos Bill's will make your day. However, there are plenty of award winning culinary options for those who wish to pay a bit more for them. The OP enjoys themselves without having to expend too much energy on meal planning, fantastic! I enjoy trying as many different food options as I can discover while on vacation.

To me WDW dining is good eats... (cue Alton's theme music)

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    My wife and I view the food options as an attraction much in the same vein as the Jungle Cruise or ToT.
    We feel the same way....going to the sit-down restaurants is part of the WDW experience for us.

Natazu Guest

Show me the crab cakes, filet, and warm chocolate torte accompanied by first rate service and Johnny Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

V&A and the signature TS restaurants could be considered to be in the fine dining category. It is incorrect to call ALL TS locations "fine dining." Most of these TS restaurants are good-excellent. Quality meals and character dining are a significant part of our WDW experience.

The filet at Jiko is the best that I have ever had. The maple filet at LeCellier is excellent. It is enjoyable to eat at the WS TS locations for a flavor of many different countries.

WDW offers many dining choices, thus offering something that appeals to almost every individual's tastes. There are plenty of snacks and CS locations to satisfy individuals that do not consider food an important part of the WDW experience.

Post Thanks / Like

In a way, you're right. If you can't tell the difference between good food and mall food, you shouldn't spend your money on it.

I personally find a lot of good food at WDW, served in beautiful restaurants by helpful wait-people: California Grill, Artist Point, Flying Fish, Boma, Jiko, Brown Derby, Le Cellier, and Rose and Crown are a few of our favorites.

I also have small children. I used to go to a lot of restaurants and I don't get to that anymore. WDW is one of the few places with decent TS restaurants where my children are both expected and welcome.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wire0monkey View Post

I also have small children. I used to go to a lot of restaurants and I don't get to that anymore. WDW is one of the few places with decent TS restaurants where my children are both expected and welcome.
    Ditto, BIG DITTO....

On our last trip this May,

My DD's 8,3 (due to poor timing by us the wonderful parents) were falling asleep at Narcoosee's when we arrived for our 7:00 ADR (too late for a nap and too soon for bed ..live and learn.)

After a nearly full day of disney they laid their little heads on the table and were just bushed.

The older guy who sat us( Charlie I think ... don't quote me) noticed the girls were toast and brought two tableclothes folded up like pillows for the girls to rest their heads on till their dinners arrived..

While napping, DW and I had the fried oyster appetizer and mentioned to our server how great it was (it was great BTW just cooked so you could taste the oyster, not rubbery .. almost the doneness of a Rockefeller).

He sent the Sous Chef over .... Anthony Scott said "so you liked the oysters" we added how much we liked them.

He handed me his card and said "give me a call next time you visit and I'll have some ready for you next dinner with us."

Class all the way, fabulous food and wine, great service (ask for Chevy.. yes, like the actor) he was great

not to mention Narcoosee's is a great place to watch the light water parade .. whatever it's called...lol

The Magic of Disney doesn't always happen in the park or at your hotel.... and you can bet it WON"T happen at the Mall...

Scott
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Up until my last few trips, I had rarely eaten at a high end restaurant in WDW. I usually take one trip a year with my father (both of us are adults) and we have started a new dining tradition. We pick one or two of the finer restaurants at WDW that we have never been to and book an ADR for them on our trip. Last November we went to the Hollywood Brown Derby and this June (2-8) we tried the Cape May Clambake and 'Ohana.
    7/90-6CB
    F/N97ASSP
    F/N98ASSP
    Jan/Nv99ASM
    7/00CB
    7/01ASM
    F/N 02ASM
    2/03ASM
    11/03DL-OFF
    F/N 04PC
    F/N 05PC
    11/06PC